PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter: 'It would be nice to win an NBA title'

Spurs Brazil
03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Interview in Brazilian newspaper: http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esportes,tiago-splitter-seria-bacana-ter-um-titulo-da-nba,1012205,0.htm

Sorry for some mistakes. I did it in a hurry

Tiago Splitter: 'It would be nice to win an NBA title'

Alessandro Lucchetti - O Estado de S. Paulo
SAO PAULO - Tiago Splitter was sitting in a comfortable armchair aircraft, when he learned that his status had changed in the NBA. It was during a flight from San Antonio Spurs that he heard of coach Gregg Popovich that he'd start in the next game.

After three seasons in the NBA, the center saw his effort and patience rewarded. And the chance was not wasted. Splitter started in the win over the Boston Celtics 103-88 on Dec. 15, and never went back to the bench.

Tiago is having his best season in the league, with solid numbers: an average of 10.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.5 assist per game. Splitter improved as a player and and now will fight for the NBA title.

In an exclusive interview Splitter talks about his game, praised his teammate Tim Duncan, and talks about his future - he is in the final year of his contract with the Spurs.

Do you agree that this is your best season in the NBA?
It is a season that is very productive for me. I'm starting and getting more minutes on the court and, therefore, you gain confidence and everything is easier. The numbers are proving it.

Do you think it took too long to became a starter?
You always want to anticipate steps, play longer, it is natural for any athlete. But San Antonio is a competitive team that is always playing for the title, so they don't have time to try a rookie. They need all the players to play well from the start. What they did to me was to just put me in the system. The second year has been better than the first and in the third I'm feeling better, adapted and things are going well for me.

So Gregg Popovich, made the right choice?
He has his thoughts during season and he felt it was necessary to wait that long to adapt myself and the team also know me better.

How was the conversation with Pop before you became a starter?
He came to talk to me in the plane, and said I would start in the next game, I was playing well, anything else. But he always helped me a lot since I arrived, even when I was not playing many minutes. He gave me tips to improve my game.

How is working with him?
Popovich is a guy who talks a lot with the players. On the court, he has this way, tough guy, correct our mistakes but off the court he is different. He asks how you are, how are the family, give advice ...

The fact the Spurs historically have many foreigners helped you?
The dynamics of the team it is easier to adapt, because everything else is in the same situation, in a different country. In this respect it is much easier.

Can you explain Tim Duncan, at age 36, playing so well?
Everyone knows what he has done in basketball, but lately, he is adapting to his body. People know that he already in the 30s, the knees are not the fastest but he is adapting very well to the game speed. He slimmed down enough to handle and is playing with a lot of patience, at a pace that is perfect for our style of play.

And your partnership with him? You're being to Duncan what he was for David Robinson?
We understand each other well and is a good complement to each other in the paint. We learn more every day. The moves are working, I hope it stays that way and we do good in the playoffs.

On court, Duncan doesn't chance. He's always serious. He does not smile?
Sure he smiles. But during the game, he is always very focused. He does not let anything shake him. It is a attribute that few players have today. He does not get emotional when hits an amazing shot, and not get down when he miss a easy one. This is perhaps his greatest virtue.

You spoke about the playoffs. How do you see the title race in the Western Conference?
It's always tough. You have Oklahoma playing well, Denver, also the Clippers ... You still have the Lakers, who put a team together to fight for the title and are in eighth seed and may be our opponent in the first round. It won't be easy.

Do you ever wondered you can be the first Brazilian to win a NBA champion?
Not yet. I'm thinking about the next game. We have a long way to go until then, but of course it would be nice to have an NBA title.

Is there any decision about the future? You are in your final year of contract with the Spurs ... Do you see yourself playing for another franchise?
I talked to my agents that I wanted to take a break during the season and not think about it. I'm waiting for the end of season to talk and see what are my options, what's best for me ... But surely, I am very well here in San Antonio. But I'll look at all the options.

benefactor
03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Good interview. Thanks for the translation.

Libri
03-23-2013, 11:43 AM
"Nice" is the only word Splitter could come up with to describe winning a championship? lol

Fabbs
03-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Do you think it took too long to became a starter?
You always want to anticipate steps, play longer, it is natural for any athlete. But San Antonio is a competitive team that is always playing for the title, so they don't have time to try a rookie. They need all the players to play well from the start. What they did to me was to just put me in the system. The second year has been better than the first and in the third I'm feeling better, adapted and things are going well for me.

He has his thoughts during season and he felt it was necessary to wait that long to adapt myself and the team also know me better.
Splitts clearly not happy with Lord Poppycocks losing decision to repress his minutes but gave a balanced answer.

Is there any decision about the future? You are in your final year of contract with the Spurs ... Do you see yourself playing for another franchise?
I talked to my agents that I wanted to take a break during the season and not think about it. I'm waiting for the end of season to talk and see what are my options, what's best for me ... But surely, I am very well here in San Antonio. But I'll look at all the options.
It's gonna depend on how the Spurs do in the playoffs.

Kuestmaster
03-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Show him the money. Would be depressing to see the first big in years that actually helps Duncan in the front court to leave.

Strategic
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Interview in Brazilian newspaper: http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esportes,tiago-splitter-seria-bacana-ter-um-titulo-da-nba,1012205,0.htm

Like for him to stay but if he doesn't the club will have Blair to fall back on. :lmao What'll you say, let's win this one for the zipper :pop:.

ChumpDumper
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
lol clearly

therealtruth
03-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Splitts clearly not happy with Lord Poppycocks losing decision to repress his minutes but gave a balanced answer.

There's no way to defend Pop's decision. A raw Splitter would have been better than resting our championship hopes on Blair/Bonner. People saw this from day 1 and Pop continued to toss his eggs in the Bonner/Blair frontcourt. We've got a solid chance this season with Splitter. However there is no doubt our chances would be better if Splitter had been playing two years ago.

benefactor
03-23-2013, 01:34 PM

Please go somewhere that there is likely to be a mass shooting. Wait there for the shooter to start firing and when he does run right at him. Thanks.

EVAY
03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Show him the money. Would be depressing to see the first big in years that actually helps Duncan in the front court to leave.

+1. Perhaps with improved grammar. (just kidding)

Russ
03-23-2013, 01:58 PM
However there is no doubt our chances would be better if Splitter had been playing two years ago.

Just to be contrarian, let me throw this out.

I agree that the Spurs' chances would have been better the last two years with more Splitter.

But what if Pop was right in the long run? What if the Spurs' chances going forward are better with Splitter having had to learn Pop's way before he was fully released on the court?

What if the Spurs weren't going to win the last two years anyway and they (somehow) win this year?

Maybe, then, Pop was right.

Who can say?

letmk
03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
It's the same thing With Baynes. Even if he may not be as good as Splitter, but it's a FACT that Bonner and Blair cannot contribute to playoffs. He has legit size, soft hands and play tough, Why not give him some minutes?

BackHome
03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah I have to agree Splitter should have gotten Blairs minutes last year and we would have had a legit chance of winning like we may have this year. As far as Baynes he is in a different league then Splitter in that Splitter was playing for one of the best teams and had been putting up great numbers for years.

I still wish Pop would give Baynes Blair's minutes as Blair is not going to help us against OK/Mem/LA..etc.

PingPong
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
That's the bright side of having two attourneys in the family. Always choosing the right words without faux pas in the interviews.

Brunodf
03-23-2013, 03:03 PM

:lol

silverblk mystix
03-23-2013, 03:37 PM
There's no way to defend Pop's decision. A raw Splitter would have been better than resting our championship hopes on Blair/Bonner. People saw this from day 1 and Pop continued to toss his eggs in the Bonner/Blair frontcourt. We've got a solid chance this season with Splitter. However there is no doubt our chances would be better if Splitter had been playing two years ago.

Um, the Popsuckers cried foul when SOME people questioned Lord Pop. They know who they are and now they are silent on this issue.

silverblk mystix
03-23-2013, 03:41 PM

I agree that the Spurs' chances would have been better the last two years with more Splitter.

But what if Pop was right in the long run? What if the Spurs' chances going forward are better with Splitter having had to learn Pop's way before he was fully released on the court?

This doesn't make sense. If the Spurs chances are better with Splitter- which they clearly are - then the Spurs chances would have been better last year too.

What if the Spurs weren't going to win the last two years anyway and they (somehow) win this year?

What if they had won with Splitter last year and this year they were trying to repeat?

Who can say?

Oh, I can definitely say he was wrong and when I asked - can the Spurs win a title IN SPITE - of Pop? - I was dead accurate as Pop's blunders led to elimination - ....

again.

rmt
03-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Who can say?

And what if Pop had played Splitter from day 1. He would have adjusted, been Hack-a-Splittered earlier, shored up his free-throws earlier and MAYBE, just MAYBE Spurs (after getting Diaw/SJax) make it past OKC (oh so close) and get a shot at MIA BEFORE Lebron got the monkey off his back and started playing at this OTHER-WORLDLY level. Now, even if they get past OKC, chances look slim.

But no, Pop would rather Splitter wallow on the bench for a year, bring him in game 4 vs MEM after Randolph/Gasol have abused Bonner/Blair, bring him off the bench (behind Blair) for a whole year and finally when he's in the last year of his contract, start him resulting in top 10 defensive stats. Splitter's the only player that's played in every single game this year. Maybe getting consistent minutes instead of being JERKED around has something to do with it. INJURY-PRONE, my foot. Splitter should be playing 30+ mins a game, either TD or Splitter should always be on the court and we should never see Bonner or Blair unless TD takes a game off.

ChumpDumper
03-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Self-flagellating spurfan loves to wallow in the past.

Spur|n|Austin
03-23-2013, 05:04 PM

:tu

SenorSpur
03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Splitter will listen to outside offers - and he should - but unless some team decides to completely "money-whip" him, I believe that if the dollars are comparable, he will stay with the Spurs.

capek
03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
it would be nice to have an NBA title.

https://d3qcduphvv2yxi.cloudfront.net/assets/4614129/lightbox/borat-mustache1.jpg?1321611283

"Very nice!"

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Splitter's future with the Spurs depends entirely on his playoff performance, tbh..

If he plays a tough style on a consistent basis in the playoffs, the Spurs have a good shot at the Finals..if that occurs, Splitter's price tag will probably inflate too high for the Spurs IMO..it's worth the trade, though..

capek
03-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Splitter's future with the Spurs depends entirely on his playoff performance, tbh..

If he plays a tough style on a consistent basis in the playoffs, the Spurs have a good shot at the Finals..if that occurs, Splitter's price tag will probably inflate too high for the Spurs IMO..it's worth the trade, though..

With the new CBA and team's reluctance to spend big money on anyone, I'm really not that worried about any teams throwing crazy money at Tiago.

dbreiden83080
03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Tiago Splitter: 'It would be nice to win an NBA title'

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqz2pxYrfL1qzmrmd.gif

pgardn
03-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Um, the Popsuckers cried foul when SOME people questioned Lord Pop. They know who they are and now they are silent on this issue.

I have no idea if he was ready.

I do have a strong opinion that we would not have made the finals with him. So BFD...

silvermisfit... Is it possible for you to have a salient point on any other issue?

TD 21
03-23-2013, 10:02 PM

No, it doesn't. It depends on two things: 1) If you subscribe to the theory that they won't pay him as much or more than Duncan, is he willing to take less than he could get on the open market? 2) If not, are they comfortable paying him more than Duncan?

Either way, it's not about whether they can afford him. Even if he got the max he can receive (which I believe is 4 years/$58-60M . . . and what are the odds he get's that?), they'll still have the flexibility to match and avoid the tax. Of course, they probably couldn't do much in the way of upgrading the team then, but it's probably unlikely they do anything big in that respect anyway.

jimbo
03-23-2013, 10:26 PM
I have no idea if he was ready.

I do have a strong opinion that we would not have made the finals with him. So BFD...

silvermisfit... Is it possible for you to have a salient point on any other issue?

Anything's better than the first round sweep tbh

EricB
03-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Please go somewhere that there is likely to be a mass shooting. Wait there for the shooter to start firing and when he does run right at him. Thanks.

Haha while good I still like the old favorite "go drink draino"

therealtruth
03-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Anything's better than the first round sweep tbh

Exactly. No one is saying we would have won a championship but we would have definitely maximized our talent.

-21-
03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Thread title got me thinking like WTF? Nice? Anyway, thanks for the translation. Good interview.

mystargtr34
03-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Beating a dead horse.. just wish Pop would have just started Tiago from the first game of his rookie season. Alot of smarter posters .. and myself were calling for it. Sometimes Pop is too clever for his own good imo trying to mastermind lineups strategy etc. Sometimes when your lacking talent like the SPurs were during Tiago's first two seasons you just have ti play your best players and somehow make it work for better or worse.

Pop missed the boat on that one pretty badly.. but better late than never.

therealtruth
03-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Beating a dead horse.. just wish Pop would have just started Tiago from the first game of his rookie season. Alot of smarter posters .. and myself were calling for it. Sometimes Pop is too clever for his own good imo trying to mastermind lineups strategy etc. Sometimes when your lacking talent like the SPurs were during Tiago's first two seasons you just have ti play your best players and somehow make it work for better or worse.

Pop missed the boat on that one pretty badly.. but better late than never.

The problem might also have been Pop didn't think Tiago was that good. Maybe he could have spent a few minutes on Youtube looking at his highlights. He still doesn't think Tiago has hit a jumpshot in a game before.

Spursfan092120
03-24-2013, 12:03 AM
It would be nice to win an NBA title....In other news, sex is decent on a first date.

Russo21
03-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Tiago just earned himself a new nickname. Captain Obvious.

capek
03-24-2013, 12:58 AM
We're having our fun, but you guys do know that translation /=/ the sense in which the original words are spoken, right?

Fabbs
03-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Poppycocks *tinkering* with lineups worked when he was able to coatail superstacked lineups to championships.
Otherwise it's purely myth that his regular season lineup fiascos help.

Fabbs
03-24-2013, 09:23 AM
That's the bright side of having two attourneys in the family. Always choosing the right words without faux pas in the interviews.
I was wondering what helped make the perfect wording. Thanks for the info.

Uriel
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
No shit.

lurker23
03-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate! :tu :toast

ChumpDumper
03-24-2013, 09:34 AM
The problem might also have been Pop didn't think Tiago was that good. Maybe he could have spent a few minutes on Youtube looking at his highlights. He still doesn't think Tiago has hit a jumpshot in a game before.You're going to have to show more than a couple of YouTube highlights from ten years of basketball to convince anyone that Splitter has a reliable jump shot.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2013, 09:35 AM
We're having our fun, but you guys do know that translation /=/ the sense in which the original words are spoken, right?spurfan sees what spurfan wants to see.

jjktkk
03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
The problem might also have been Pop didn't think Tiago was that good. Maybe he could have spent a few minutes on Youtube looking at his highlights. He still doesn't think Tiago has hit a jumpshot in a game before.

Yes, Youtube should be a great coaching tool for all aspiring coaches. :lol

jjktkk
03-24-2013, 10:49 AM
:pop:= :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Aztecfan03
03-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Oh, I can definitely say he was wrong and when I asked - can the Spurs win a title IN SPITE - of Pop? - I was dead accurate as Pop's blunders led to elimination - ....

again.

I don't think this is the case in basketball, although i don't know as much about basketball. But what i think he was saying was that what if starting him hurt his development. This can be seen in football at the quarterback position where sometimes it takes a couple years learning behind someone else to development.
It is definitely seen in baseball where teams try not to rush their players through the system and they lose all confidence by failing in the major leagues.

Fabbs
03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't think this is the case in basketball, although i don't know as much about basketball. But what i think he was saying was that what if starting him hurt his development. This can be seen in football at the quarterback position where sometimes it takes a couple years learning behind someone else to development.
It is definitely seen in baseball where teams try not to rush their players through the system and they lose all confidence by failing in the major leagues.
Both Manu SuperGnob and Parker (2002) played extensively in their rookie seasons. GNob being a Championship year 2003.
While Splitter was not the sure star Manu was, he nonetheless had plenty of experience. Neither were your typical rookie.

freetiago
03-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes, Youtube should be a great coaching tool for all aspiring coaches. :lol

the only reason this guy named Tony Parker got a second chance to join the team after Pop didnt like him was the highlight reel he saw of him tbh

Fabbs
03-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by schttkk

Yes, Youtube should be a great coaching tool for all aspiring coaches.

the only reason this guy named Tony Parker got a second chance to join the team after Pop didnt like him was the highlight reel he saw of him tbh
How many more cups can schttikkhumperfactor be served on this thread? :lol

Budkin
03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Understated methinks.

pgardn
03-24-2013, 03:12 PM
"Highlights" of a consistent jump shot with a good defender on him throughout a season...

So I guess Duncan out higher, Tiago around the basket is not working. Or maybe Tiago has Diaw range, it's just never been witnessed in practice during a tough scrimmage...

jjktkk
03-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by schttkk

:pop:

therealtruth
03-24-2013, 05:07 PM
"Highlights" of a consistent jump shot with a good defender on him throughout a season...

So I guess Duncan out higher, Tiago around the basket is not working. Or maybe Tiago has Diaw range, it's just never been witnessed in practice during a tough scrimmage...

There's a difference between making that jumpshot with a defender and also being able to hit that jumper if the defense totally disrespects you. I think there is value in forcing the defense to not totally disrespect you.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2013, 05:25 PM
A couple of YouTube highlights from a ten year career don't cut it.

I don't even know why anyone is trying to argue he has a reliable jumper when pretty much every other big man he plays with is obviously better outside than he is while he scores very well inside.

What's your point?