PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Kawhi Leonard is averaging 15.5 Points per game in the last 20 games.

apalisoc_9
03-24-2013, 12:54 AM
I can't believe there's still people in this board who think he is a role player at best. SMH.

He's already a top 5-7 perimeter defender in the league, and with that kind of offense there's no reason to think he wont be an all-star in the future.

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 01:05 AM
I can't believe there's still people in this board who think he is a role player at best. SMH.

He's already a top 5-7 perimeter defender in the league, and with that kind of offense there's no reason to think he wont be an all-star in the future.

No he's not. Lelbron, Iggy, Sefelosha, Tony Allen, Wade, AK47, and Josh Smith are all better, and I'm sure I'm missing some other names.

apalisoc_9
03-24-2013, 01:09 AM
No he's not. Lelbron, Iggy, Sefelosha, Tony Allen, Wade, AK47, and Josh Smith are all better, and I'm sure I'm missing some other names.

LMAOL at AK47.

you havent been watcching wolves games havent you? still stuck with ak47 jazz

racm
03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
KL is worse than any of those at man defense but his advantage is that his steals to fouls ratio is pretty great.

He also doesn't know what a turnover is.

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2013, 01:17 AM
like i said previously upstairs many moons ago, the big 3 are holding his development back by being shit fiddle in the offensive system whether its the 3 tosb or shit bench ballhogs

td4mvp2k
03-24-2013, 01:17 AM
AK and Smith not good perimeter defenders and not vs KL

racm
03-24-2013, 01:18 AM
like i said previously upstairs many moons ago, the big 3 are holding his development back by being shit fiddle in the offensive system whether its the 3 tosb or shit bench ballhogs

Considering that Ginobili has been trash on offense lately KL has had to step up on O and Pop trusts him. At this point though he still defers.

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 01:21 AM
LMAOL at AK47.

you havent been watcching wolves games havent you? still stuck with ak47 jazz

Fuck, who on here watches the T-Pups? He's been hurt half the season it seems, but last time he was fully healthy he was still pretty damn good. For the sake of this argument I'll take him off, but I'll raise you Shane Battier.

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 01:24 AM
AK and Smith not good perimeter defenders and not vs KL

A number of analysts were calling JSmoove the best perimeter defender in the NBA earlier in the season (which is bull). Haven't watched much of Kirilenko this season but he's not far removed from his time in Utah when he was still elite.

apalisoc_9
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Fuck, who on here watches the T-Pups? He's been hurt half the season it seems, but last time he was fully healthy he was still pretty damn good. For the sake of this argument I'll take him off, but I'll raise you Shane Battier.

I have shane, Lebron, Allen, Iggy all being better all around/perimeter defenders. Honestly if these guys guarded 1-2 all game, they'd be better than guys like bradley, wade and other good 1-2 defenders.

td4mvp2k
03-24-2013, 01:27 AM
A number of analysts were calling JSmoove the best perimeter defender in the NBA earlier in the season (which is bull). Haven't watched much of Kirilenko this season but he's not far removed from his time in Utah when he was still elite.

:lol they must be the same analysts who thought the Lakers were going to win the ship... ya AK in his elite could d any1

Juggity
03-24-2013, 01:30 AM

These three are very questionable, honestly.

I'm not arguing Kawhi is an all-time great defender by any means, or that he's a defensive player of the year candidate. But I think you have to acknowledge the fact that he's one of the league's better wing defenders now — and that may simply be a product of the dearth of quality wing defenders in the NBA at the moment. He's clearly top-10 at least. Potentially top-5.

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 01:33 AM
I have shane, Lebron, Allen, Iggy all being better all around/perimeter defenders. Honestly if these guys guarded 1-2 all game, they'd be better than guys like bradley, wade and other good 1-2 defenders.

Sefelosha is definitely a better perimeter defender than Leonard still. Wade is also capable of playing higher-level D when he's fully engaged, and the same goes for Smith. Leonard will eventually reach the Top 3, maybe even become the best perimeter defender if he keeps improving, but right now he is maybe Top 10, and imo that's still a bit of a stretch. I think Tony is still a better defender than him at this point (although he's less effective due to his size/position).

apalisoc_9
03-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Sefelosha is definitely a better perimeter defender than Leonard still. Wade is also capable of playing higher-level D when he's fully engaged, and the same goes for Smith. Leonard will eventually reach the Top 3, maybe even become the best perimeter defender if he keeps improving, but right now he is maybe Top 10, and imo that's still a bit of a stretch. I think Tony is still a better defender than him at this point (although he's less effective due to his size/position).

I forgot about sefelosha. Smith is questionable.

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 01:36 AM
These three are very questionable, honestly.

I'm not arguing Kawhi is an all-time great defender by any means, or that he's a defensive player of the year candidate. But I think you have to acknowledge the fact that he's one of the league's better wing defenders now — and that may simply be a product of the dearth of quality wing defenders in the NBA at the moment. He's clearly top-10 at least. Potentially top-5.

He's definitely way above average, don't get me wrong. Top 5? No. Top 10? Maybe. I've already made arguments for those three. It helps they have a lot more experience than Leonard at this point.

ElNono
03-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Guys like Ariza or Artest are pretty good too, they just happen to be on shitty teams... also guys like Battier, Barnes can be physical and a pest too... Kawhi has the long arms and hands factor, but he's still missing the physicality of top perimeter defenders.

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Guys like Ariza or Artest are pretty good too, they just happen to be on shitty teams... also guys like Battier, Barnes can be physical and a pest too... Kawhi has the long arms and hands factor, but he's still missing the physicality of top perimeter defenders.

Tbh, Artest these days is more of a paint defender, seeing as he guards the 4 more often than not. His lack of lateral quickness also takes him down a notch. So imo Leonard is better than him now defensively. Forgot about Barnes tho, he's up there too.

DMC
03-24-2013, 02:32 AM
KL is worse than any of those at man defense but his advantage is that his steals to fouls ratio is pretty great.

He also doesn't know what a turnover is.

He should ask Manu, they are on the floor at the same time.

DMC
03-24-2013, 02:33 AM
Leonard isn't a top 10 anything. Stop with the precum over a future February trade piece.

Jodelo
03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Marion is also better than him at defense. Can guard 1 to 5!

But, his future looks good.

ElNono
03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Tbh, Artest these days is more of a paint defender, seeing as he guards the 4 more often than not. His lack of lateral quickness also takes him down a notch. So imo Leonard is better than him now defensively. Forgot about Barnes tho, he's up there too.

Artest can't move, but he can still body up people, and he still has relatively quick hands. He can still come up with steals here and there. He's a shadow of the former DPOY he was, but he can still be somewhat effective against non-star talent.

Obviously, Kawhi can only get better, while Artest can only get worse.

whitemamba
03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Artest can't move, but he can still body up people, and he still has relatively quick hands. He can still come up with steals here and there. He's a shadow of the former DPOY he was, but he can still be somewhat effective against non-star talent.

Obviously, Kawhi can only get better, while Artest can only get older.
fify

ElNono
03-24-2013, 12:42 PM
fify

tbh, he needs to shoot more... especially from 3... :lol

irishock
03-24-2013, 12:46 PM

:lmao

Splits
03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Kobe has 12 all-defense awards so he's obviously a top-5 SG defender.

FkLA
03-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Has Smith moved to SF or something this season? I havent caught any Hawks games but Im pretty sure he and Horford are the starting frontline.

SpurSwag
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Sefolosha, Allen, Lebron, iggy, Bradley, and maybe Paul George are better defenders IMO. What kawhi has going for him is his great reach, his huge hands, and he has really good timing. I think he'll be top 5 really soon

Trainwreck2100
03-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Leonard isn't a top 10 anything. Stop with the precum over a future February trade piece.
top ten of the sophomores tbqh

AlexJones
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
A number of analysts were calling JSmoove the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

You mean Bill Simmons, Michael Wilbon and Jon Barry?

Robz4000
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
You mean Bill Simmons, Michael Wilbon and Jon Barry?

:lol when you put it that way, it sounds bad. It was an article on SI from back in late January. Didn't go as far as calling him a Lebron stopper like those fools.

Latarian Milton
03-24-2013, 08:35 PM
kawhi is a solid role player and all. he can do a decent job playing alongside star players but you better not expect him to be the #1 or #2 himself. he might have the potential to be one but he still has a lot of work to do, by far he's no more than a josh howard of the 07 mavs tbh. there were arguments back then as to whether it was still dirk's team or had it already become howard's team, avery gave him chances to take the thrown away from dirk but he failed because he was never the right material to lead a team imho

KL2
03-24-2013, 09:56 PM
kawhi is a solid role player and all. he can do a decent job playing alongside star players but you better not expect him to be the #1 or #2 himself. he might have the potential to be one but he still has a lot of work to do, by far he's no more than a josh howard of the 07 mavs tbh. there were arguments back then as to whether it was still dirk's team or had it already become howard's team, avery gave him chances to take the thrown away from dirk but he failed because he was never the right material to lead a team imho

J-Ho is a retard though, comparable to a JR Smith type player, Kawhi has that calm demeanor like Tim Duncan, totally different types of players.

DejuanorwhatDude
03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Leonard is not an Allstar. I wish Spurs fans would stop with this nonsense.

KL2
03-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Leonard is not an Allstar. I wish Spurs fans would stop with this nonsense.

He easily could be if he were more involved in the offense, like the thread title says, he's averaging 15.5 PPG in his past 20 games. Now, imagine if he'd been given this current role at the beginning of the season, instead of a stand still spot up shooter. His game would be a lot more advanced than it currently is, he'd get more shot attempts as well.

If that were the case he'd be averaging around 18ppg, maybe even more, combine that with his defense and rebounding ability and he's definitely an all star caliber player.

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
him n duncan has a shit game when parker came back, expect it to continue

DejuanorwhatDude
03-24-2013, 10:48 PM
He easily could be if he were more involved in the offense, like the thread title says, he's averaging 15.5 PPG in his past 20 games. Now, imagine if he'd been given this current role at the beginning of the season, instead of a stand still spot up shooter. His game would be a lot more advanced than it currently is, he'd get more shot attempts as well.

If that were the case he'd be averaging around 18ppg, maybe even more, combine that with his defense and rebounding ability and he's definitely an all star caliber player.

Come on...I mean no one is denying he's a good player. But you're really stretching it.

KL2
03-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Come on...I mean no one is denying he's a good player. But you're really stretching it.

How? 15.5 PPG in those 20 games with an average of 11 FGA per game, and he's been shooting poorly from 3. He's got a variety of moves, and can get to the line consistently.

His role for his entire career up until these past 20 games has been as a spot up shooter, and suddenly Pop has made him into a 3rd-4th option just like that he changes his game and produces. James Harden is the perfect example of a guy who expanded his game after being given a much bigger role.