PDA

View Full Version : Spurs close to hiring shooting coach

timvp
07-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Spurs close to hiring shooting coach

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070705.08C.SpursNote.4375c59c.html

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Hoping to improve their performance at the free-throw line — along with Tony Parker's jump shot — the Spurs are in the process of finalizing a contract with Chip Engelland, the longtime shooting coach of Steve Kerr.

Engelland, who has spent the previous two years as a player-development assistant, will be an addition to the Spurs' staff. The team still needs to replace advance scout Joe Prunty, who has left to join Avery Johnson's coaching staff in Dallas.

Engelland's work with Kerr made him one of the league's more famed shooting coaches. He also has assisted Orlando's Grant Hill, Memphis' Shane Battier, Washington's Larry Hughes and the Los Angeles Clippers' Corey Maggette.

The Spurs finished 26th in the NBA in free-throw shooting last season at 72.4 percent, an improvement from the league-worst 68.1 percent they shot the previous year. Tim Duncan particularly has struggled at the foul line. After shooting a career-best 79.9percent in 2001-02, he has shot a combined 66 percent the past three seasons.

The Spurs also hope Engelland can work with Parker. While Parker shot a career-best 48.2 percent from the field last season, he has labored to develop a consistent outside shot, limiting his effectiveness in the playoffs when opposing teams keep him from getting to the rim.

timvp
07-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Somewhere, AHF is celebrating.

A "shooting coach" is something Pop always said he was against. I guess he's changing his stance on this too.

Good to see.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-07-2005, 01:03 AM
The Spurs also hope Engelland can work with Parker. While Parker shot a career-best 48.2 percent from the field last season, he has labored to develop a consistent outside shot, limiting his effectiveness in the playoffs when opposing teams keep him from getting to the rim.

If we get this guy, Parker should live with this guy. Eat, sleep, wake up, and practice practice practice with this guy. Parker can become 3lit3 if he finally develops a bad ass marbury-esque jumper

Sense
07-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Awesome...

Imagine a Spurs team averaging 80 percent from the line....

if thats as good as it gets..

We'd be that better...

Duncan in his 70s again...
delightful this would be..

Cant_Be_Faded
07-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Guys, can we throw an estimate of how many games we would have won in 2003 reg season if we hit ~80% free throws?

2004?
2005?

I strongly believe this year we would have won 70 games.

CalsonicKansei
07-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Finally a shooting coach for Parker.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Not just for Parker .. for all the bad free throw shooters (Parker, Rasho, Tim, Bruce) and for Linton Johnson to develop a jumpshot (if he stays).

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-07-2005, 01:11 AM
And Nazr... teach him to shot right not all jacked up.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't like Nazr shooting it anyways

Dex
07-07-2005, 01:29 AM
So let me get this straight...

In the past, the Spurs have been notorious for:
A) bad free throw shooting
B) bad outside shooting
C) having shooters dissapear in big games

...and Pop has supposedly always been against hiring a shooting coach!?

I trust the guy and all, but sometimes, I think he is a little too CIA for even his own good.

mattyc
07-07-2005, 01:33 AM
the longtime shooting coach of Steve Kerr.

Can't complain with that!

Solid D
07-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Spurs close to hiring shooting coach
Engelland, who has spent the previous two years as a player-development assistant, will be an addition to the Spurs' staff. The team still needs to replace advance scout Joe Prunty, who has left to join Avery Johnson's coaching staff in Dallas.

It looks like I guessed wrong on that one. I figured Chip was back-filling Prunty's slot with a possible reconfig. of roles for other(s).

Gummi
07-07-2005, 02:03 AM
I guess Parker is staying. If they're hiring this guy to help Parker's shot.

Trainwreck2100
07-07-2005, 02:07 AM
And Nazr... teach him to shot right not all jacked up.

They need to get Nazr a receiving coach before they get him a shooting coach.

Duncanoypi
07-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Chip Engeland...yeah! i know this guy! He played in the Philippines in 80's and gave his team a championship by his very sweeeet shooting....

Get Chip at all cost...

Notorious H.O.P.
07-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Great news.

You figure something like this should be relatively basic. You can't shoot free throws, you bring someone in to show the guys the ropes. Although a change in the basics of your mechanics of your shot doesn't seem like the type of thing you can accomplish in one offseason. A complete restructuring of some of the guys shots could affect them in a bad way for a while until they get it down. I wonder what percentage of teams hire shooting coaches.

Didn't Malik work with a shooting coach to bring up his percentages? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he had hired one on his own and had him around for an extended period of time. I could be thinking of someone else though. But this would explain something. With Pop and Malik butting heads all the time, his Anti-Malik mechanism probably wouldn't allow him to consider the idea for the rest of the team.

But the Spurs knocking down their free throws will have them driving to the hoop with impunity if they don't have to second guess the idea of winding up on the line in a tight game. This was a long time in coming. After so many times that I've paced up and down seeing Spurs leads slip away as games get tighter, it'll be nice seeing them step up and put their boots on the throats of the rest of the league.

grjr
07-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Here's all a shooting coach needs to say to help the Spurs' free throw and outside shooting; "Arc".

rwb
07-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Please oh please oh please just give this guy whatever he wants.

polandprzem
07-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Please oh please oh please just give this guy whatever he wants.
Even if he demanded Eva L. for a nite?

Duncanoypi
07-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Spurs' Newest Hire Angers George Karl
Wire Reports
Thursday, July 07, 2005

According to a report in the Rocky Mountain News, Denver Nuggets coach George Karl thought he had his staff intact for next season.

Then he checked his messages Monday.

"He left me a voice mail," said Karl, disappointed to learn player development assistant Chip Engelland has left for a similar job with San Antonio. "I thought we had a good thing cooking. I'm sure he looks at it that they have a championship team and he makes more money. But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

Karl said he is in no rush to replace Engelland.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 07:40 AM
I guess Parker is staying. If they're hiring this guy to help Parker's shot.

Somewhere IceBrew and Walton are at the edge of a cliff...

2006 AS Game, here he comes! :elephant

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm sure he looks at it that they have a championship team and he makes more money. But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

What the fuck is George Karl's problem. Agents and lawyers? Shit, we should all be so blessed as to work for an organization at the top of its industry while getting paid well to boot.

What an asshat.

Somewhere, AHF is celebrating.

A "shooting coach" is something Pop always said he was against. I guess he's changing his stance on this too.

Good to see.

Indeed. First he gave Ginobili the rock in crunch time like I wanted, and now the shooting coach. Pop should just get it over with and hire me as a consultant.

All kidding aside, this is great news.

Believe

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Somewhere IceBrew and Walton are at the edge of a cliff...

2006 AS Game, here he comes! :elephant

:lol

I' think we would have won about 65 games this season if we'd hit 80% of our FT's.

whats amazing to me is how bad our FT% has been, how bad our outside shooting has been...... and yet we are 3x world champs.

God, we'll be deadly with some decent shooters. Oh dear lord, we've killed the rest of the league. :spin

mookie2001
07-07-2005, 08:29 AM
i think if a shooting coach was the answer we would have got one a long time ago

boutons
07-07-2005, 08:29 AM
"bad our FT% has been, how bad our outside shooting has been...... and yet we are 3x world champs."

DEFENSE, not offense, wins championships.

(as in Spurs allowing only 17 pts in the 4th qtr of Finals Game7)

SA was 12th in season team FG%, with "winners" like Celts, Clips, Wolves, Magic, Kings all shooting better, while being lottery or bounced in first round.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-07-2005, 08:33 AM
They need to get Nazr a receiving coach before they get him a shooting coach.

...or a pump-fake coach.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Spurs' Newest Hire Angers George Karl

George Karl has got to be the biggest loser in the NBA. Keep that shit to yourself, dickhead. Look at all of the staff turnover the Spurs have had each year. Did Pop bitch? No. You get a better deal that advances your career, you take it. Who'd be happy working for a guy who talks shit about you as soon as you leave?

We should have a vBookie on how long it will take Karl to get run out of town. I'm guessing he's got two seasons tops.

mookie2001
07-07-2005, 08:44 AM
karl does walk around rubbing his chode
that dudes ego is amazing
plus he had the most vulgar display of bitching during his teams asswhooping ive ever seen

Clandestino
07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
we need a psychiatrist on the team too... esp for tim when he misses he his first ft, he misses all the rest...

Spurologist
07-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Spurs need another coach. They need a don't pump fake a million times, just take it up strong coach. This would benefit one player I can think of. A wide recievers coach would also be appreciated.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
TD does not need a shooting coach, he needs a sports psychologist...his problem is all in his head.

TP, Bowen and Rasho need a shooting coach.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
we need a psychiatrist on the team too... esp for tim when he misses he his first ft, he misses all the rest...

:lmao Doesn;t Tim have a DEGREE in phychology?

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Hallelluja!!! All of our prayers have been answered!!
Can you imagine Tony Parker with a consistent Jumper and 3 point shoot!?
And the team averaging near 80% from the line!?
And the backcourt (manu , barry, beno, devin) improving their shoot?
That´s the beginning of a dinasty...

And the League is over...

Notorious H.O.P.
07-07-2005, 12:43 PM
"bad our FT% has been, how bad our outside shooting has been...... and yet we are 3x world champs."

DEFENSE, not offense, wins championships.

(as in Spurs allowing only 17 pts in the 4th qtr of Finals Game7)

SA was 12th in season team FG%, with "winners" like Celts, Clips, Wolves, Magic, Kings all shooting better, while being lottery or bounced in first round.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we ALL know that DEFENSE wins championships. But putting the ball in the bucket is part of the equation also. The Spurs improving their percentages means a few extra Ws and the corresponding bump up in playoff seeding (homecourt was looking to be of particular advantage in the Seattle and Detriot series). It also could be the difference between sweating a tight game and cruising to victory. The Spurs aren't going to abandon their defensive style just because their shooting becomes more accurate. And they have displayed that they can put together a style of play that accents their proficiencies at both ends of the court. The truth of the matter is that the increased confidence in their shots translates into better stands at the end of the game. It's quite within the realm of possibility that the Spurs might have an extra championship (maybe even two) if this type of move had been made a while back.

Mark in Austin
07-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Good move. And it fucks with George Karl, which is a nice bonus.

I'm going to have fun cheering for the Nuggets to lose next season...

ca®lo
07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
karl with forever be popovichs bitch.

this is like a dream come true for the spurs.. and their fans..

no longer will the spurs suck at the ft line..

and also.. will give em a more effective jump shot and 3 point shot!

boutons
07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
"if this type of move had been made a while back"

When I hear players and/or Pop say Chip is helping their shooting, AND AND AND we can actually see improvement on the court and in the stats, then this move will have some benefits.

I'd love to see it, but I can't see the Spurs moving their shooting %ages up dramatically from 12th, 9th, and 26th to be in the top 3.

The Spurs FT disaster is not amenable to coaching, it's mental, and multi-year, across several generations of Spurs.

This year, the Spurs had the great defense, and enough offense.

The Spurs will win more games when they elminate the maddening inconsistency, quit giving away games to lottery/inferior teams, quit totally disappearing for entire quarters on both ends. None of those problems are "team shooting %age" problems.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
The Spurs will win more games when they elminate the maddening inconsistency, quit giving away games to lottery/inferior teams, quit totally disappearing for entire quarters on both ends. None of those problems are "team shooting %age" problems.

I don't care if they win 70 games or 59 games. They did all those things this year and still managed to get it done and win the championship. They aren't perfect and I don't expect them to become perfect. When you play 82 games in a span of 8 months or whatever it is, it's going to be hard to be consistent, play great quarters 1-4, etc. Lottery bound teams are bound to win a few against the Spurs, but I don't think the Spurs did too badly against them this season (Minus the Jazz fiasco which I am still trying to figure out...how the F$%$ to we let Okur beat us at the buzzer twice?!).