PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Get The Sense This Is A Championship Caliber Team?

DejuanorwhatDude
03-25-2013, 01:14 AM
I really don't. There are way too many variables for this team that almost have to go right for it to happen. Parker has to be the man. Ginobili and Duncan have to step it up in a major way(not too worried about Duncan, but he could gas at almost any time). Leonard, Splitter, and Green have to maintain their production or exceed it to make up for Ginobilis potential decline. We're probably going to have to win a series against the Thunder and the Heat on the road to win. I realize Parker has been out and the stats haven't looked terrible(point differential is still great), but the eye test for me has been just a team that's either tired of the regular season or becoming inconsistent down the stretch. They just don't seem to have the killer instinct that they possessed last season on the offensive end in my view; hopefully the team is out of the injury bug woods and can gel in the next month. If they do win it all I could see them as a kind of Mavericks 2011 run but I guess we all thought the same thing last year also.

Juggity
03-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Compared to last year's team, these spurs are better. Last year's spurs made it to the WCF and were 2 games form the finals; nothing to sneeze at.

Ginobili's decline is offset by Tim's resurgence and Kawhi's emergence.

Yes, it's a championship caliber team. To a certain extent, winning against Lebron/Durant is dependent on luck. If things go right, and the spurs execute their offense properly while playing the kind of defense we've seen so far this season, there's no reason they can't win a championship.

We'll see how they do against the Heat in that upcoming matchup. The Heat haven't played the Spurs at full strength this season, so that may give a better idea of just how unstoppable the Heat are (or whether they are, in fact, unstoppable).

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2013, 01:27 AM
There's only 1 championship caliber team in the NBA this year, tbh..

The Spurs chances of winning are as good as any other team, though..

hater
03-25-2013, 01:28 AM
If the Heat plane crashed then, they'd be championship caliber. only then tho

jestersmash
03-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Not really. We're better defensively. We're worse offensively.

Defense doesn't win championships. Differential (offense - defense) wins championships.

Our offense isn't anywhere near as potent as it was last season. Manu's meteoric collapse is probably mostly to blame, although like Juggity said this is partly mitigated by Tim and Kawhi's elevated play.

I actually don't think we're better than last year, though. I think we're exactly the same from last year. Manu's terrible offense has been offset by our elevated (team) rank in defensive efficiency. We no longer seem to have those games where the ball moves seamlessly from man to man, resulting in a wide open 3 point shot. We don't have those 12-20 from 3 point land type of games as often this season, and Gary and Manu's poor shooting (and Manu's injuries) has a lot to do with it. I think Danny had a slump from 3 along the way as well.

KaiRMD1
03-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Sometimes, they show that caliber but lately, it doesn't feel like it. There are a lot of playoffs teams that look like they would blow the Spurs out the building but at the same time, I get the feeling the Spurs can clamped down and keep teams at bay. It's tough but their offense has definitely regressed and with Ginobili playing like shit, it's tough to see them as a championship caliber team but then again, nobody thought Dallas would win it in 2011

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Not really. We're better defensively. We're worse offensively.

Defense doesn't win championships. Differential (offense - defense) wins championships.

Our offense isn't anywhere near as potent as it was last season. Manu's meteoric collapse is probably mostly to blame, although like Juggity said this is partly mitigated by Tim and Kawhi's elevated play.

I actually don't think we're better than last year, though. I think we're exactly the same from last year. Manu's terrible offense has been offset by our elevated (team) rank in defensive efficiency. We no longer seem to have those games where the ball moves seamlessly from man to man, resulting in a wide open 3 point shot. We don't have those 12-20 from 3 point land type of games as often this season, and Gary and Manu's poor shooting (and Manu's injuries) has a lot to do with it. I think Danny had a slump from 3 along the way as well.

Last season's team became a little overrated due to their easy playoff schedule, tbh..

Utah wasn't a legit playoff team and the Clippers were hobbled..

It doesn't matter though, because OKC is worse, and the rest of the West is flawed..Spurs have the same chances of winning an opportunity to lose to Miami as OKC does..

Sean Cagney
03-25-2013, 02:03 AM
This year no, last year the stars nearly aligned for them! They had HC and OKC they had come to their house! Miami almost lost two series without BOSH! This year forget it! No chance in hell they win it all and not they are not playing great right now nor seem to be at the level they were earlier this year. This team is good but not great.
Last season's team became a little overrated due to their easy playoff schedule, tbh..

It doesn't matter though, because OKC is worse, and the rest of the West is flawed..
Yeah but around this time last year we were blowing teams out around this time regardless going into the playoffs! Spurs were on FIRE! This year not even a resemblence of that around this time, struggling etc. They seem to be trying to find identity right now after the injuries etc. Unless we pull a huge run later this year and the playoffs then no shot at all. I feel they might make the WCF at best, thats their ceiling now.

Robz4000
03-25-2013, 02:11 AM
More than likely 2nd round exit tbh, WCF if we're lucky. This coming 8-day stretch will tell the tale.

DieMrBond
03-25-2013, 02:13 AM
TPs been back for 2 games since a 3 week layoff... give 'em a week or two, and then see if they can recapture the form/chemistry together before panicking.

Man In Black
03-25-2013, 02:14 AM
I don't need to sense that they are that TODAY. TP just got back and a certain level of adjustment has to occur. When do we need to get the sense? I'd start with Friday against the Clippers and then Sunday against the Heat. They are capable of playing much, much better but they simply aren't. It's like they forgot how to trust the systems so they all overplay and when one is pressing, it throws it all off.

Robz4000
03-25-2013, 02:23 AM
The system is fine. There will be some readjustment with Parker back in the fold, but imo it's not much of a factor. The rut Manu is in on top of a lot of the flaws from last year not being truly fixed will be their downfall. TP can and prolly will be shut down in the playoffs again and Pop's answer is more Manu, which isn't looking like a legit option at this point. There's still a chance if Leonard takes another step/becomes more involved or Nando/CJ emerge as a legit playoff-PG option, however. The reliance on roleplayers is, if anything, greater than last year and I'm not sure they're up to the task. The bench has been awful, which can be attributed to Manu's decline as well, but also Jack not being healthy either (tho he's starting to come around).

Only way I see the Spurs making the WCF (much less coming out of the West) is if Memphis and LAC go the distance again and Memphis comes out banged up (who the Spurs match up better against this time as opposed to 2011). Then maybe Denver can knock off OKC to give the Spurs a shot to be curbstomped by the Heat in 5.

Bruno
03-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Not really.

I give Spurs a 20% chance to win the west and a 5% chance to win the title.

jestersmash
03-25-2013, 02:31 AM

It doesn't matter though, because OKC is worse, and the rest of the West is flawed..Spurs have the same chances of winning an opportunity to lose to Miami as OKC does..

Agreed. The Spurs/OKC matchup is still a toss up to me because Westbrook's production can be really erratic from game to game. But, even if we make it out of the West, I really don't think we have a reasonable shot against Miami.

Like you said, there's 1 championship caliber team, and then there are "the others," for lack of a better term.

Hoops Czar
03-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Compared to last year's team, these spurs are better. Last year's spurs made it to the WCF and were 2 games form the finals; nothing to sneeze at. You can keep telling yourself that but it isn't true. The Spurs still can't get a stop when they have to have one. The Spurs defense was pretty good last year. The only reason the Spurs defense appears to be better was last year's defense got off to a rough start, then climbed the ladder by seasons end. Secondly, Last year's Spurs had huge leads and when the Spurs bench came in, the defense struggled.

sehui
03-25-2013, 02:58 AM
Not really.

yeah, sounds about right.

Too many things can fuckup

Hoops Czar
03-25-2013, 03:02 AM

Neal's worse, Stephen Jackson's worse, Bonner's worse and De Colo is backup pg. It's not just Manu.

Tim had a resurgence last year. And that's a shame about Ginobili. If the Spurs are going to rely on a second year player to bring home a championship, then they have no chance because Kawhi isn't ready to be that guy. Manu also plays backup pg so he'd better be at the top of his game when the playoffs arrive.

Yes, it's a championship caliber team. To a certain extent, winning against Lebron/Durant is dependent on luck. If things go right, and the spurs execute their offense properly while playing the kind of defense we've seen so far this season, there's no reason they can't win a championship.

The defense isn't as good as you think it is.

Hoops Czar
03-25-2013, 03:05 AM
We'll see how they do against the Heat in that upcoming matchup. The Heat haven't played the Spurs at full strength this season, so that may give a better idea of just how unstoppable the Heat are (or whether they are, in fact, unstoppable).Why? I thought regular season games didn't mean anything.Do you read this forum?

hater
03-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Not really.

Imo its 30% chance to win west

0.5% chance to win title

BatManu20
03-25-2013, 03:20 AM
Love my Spurs but Miami is repeating this year. Simple as that.

Pop
03-25-2013, 03:20 AM
That team has the personnel to go to the Finals, can't tell me they're not favorite to win the west and the big question mark imo is the coach. If he doesn't win the west he should retire and give someone else a shot at this great roster.

Sean Cagney
03-25-2013, 03:30 AM
You can keep telling yourself that but it isn't true. The Spurs still can't get a stop when they have to have one. The Spurs defense was pretty good last year. The only reason the Spurs defense appears to be better was last year's defense got off to a rough start, then climbed the ladder by seasons end. Secondly, Last year's Spurs had huge leads and when the Spurs bench came in, the defense struggled.

Last years team was their last true run! They had the stars align like I said and had HC and got hot at the right time and were healthy! They had their best shot last year! This year the O is not nearly as crisp and health has been an issue! Manu is bad this year as well. Last year was their last hoorah and the stars nearly had to align with Tim coming back resurging and the shortened year, the streak before the playoffs blowing everyone out! Most had the Spurs as a fave, they thought that team could possibly win it all and they were rolling! This year I don't see that. This team streaked earlier on and played better towards mid year. This team can beat you, but they are not as impressive at doing it this year! Like you said in aother post last year they had huge leads, earlier this year we saw some of that where they left off but later on it has been going down to the point where every game is tight.

therealtruth
03-25-2013, 07:08 AM
That team has the personnel to go to the Finals, can't tell me they're not favorite to win the west and the big question mark imo is the coach. If he doesn't win the west he should retire and give someone else a shot at this great roster.

I agree. I think it all comes down to the coaching moves Pop makes.

Spur|n|Austin
03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
We've been a championship caliber team since 1999, tbh,and still are today. Yeah the Heat are the top projection to win it all this season, but the Spurs have the best odds to meet them there, and they've never lost in the finals. IT WAS ONE LOSS PEOPLE, step back off the ledge.

spursncowboys
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Compared to last year's team, these spurs are better. Last year's spurs made it to the WCF and were 2 games form the finals; nothing to sneeze at.

We'll see how they do against the Heat in that upcoming matchup. The Heat haven't played the Spurs at full strength this season, so that may give a better idea of just how unstoppable the Heat are (or whether they are, in fact, unstoppable).
+1. I had that feeling last year, that I did in 05. Now it pretty much boils down to if we can beat Miami. I'm not sure about that one... We'll def stop their win streak but in a best of seven, idk.

ohmwrecker
03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Even Jon fucking Barry is giving the Spurs props. I think they have a good shot to come out of the west, but it will take a miracle to beat Miami.

Juggity
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Why? I thought regular season games didn't mean anything.Do you read this forum?

I've never alleged that regular season games don't mean anything. Fact is, they do mean something, even if they aren't as consequential as playoff games. Spurstalk is reactionary, and this thread is a good example of it.

The Heat will probably still be on their win streak when they roll into San Antonio in a few days. Make no mistake, if they are, they will get up for that game, and so will the spurs. They may act like the game doesn't matter to the media, but on some level they want that streak to continue.

maverick1948
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Not really.

Sounds like you dont have any belief in the Spurs. They win 50+ every season and yet only have 5% chance at winning a title. They beat the OKC Thunder. Bench play games without the big 3 and they win them or play top teams to a standstill. They do lose games but that doesnt mean they arent championship caliber. As for the offense and defense, the O is a little higher scoring while D is almost the same. We are 15-12 when we give up 100 or more points. Only 8 times have we given up 108 or more. Again we are 5-3 in those games.

IIRC when we were winning 16-1 LAST MONTH, we were all saying the Spurs were no worst than 50-50 chance of winning it all. An injury to TP and 6-2 record later we are suddenly only a 5% chance of winning it all. What changed? Did Timmy and Manu go down with an injury? Did SJax sudden get a mister nice guy streak? Did Boris completely quit on the team. Did Tiago or Kawhi or Green get injured? How about the bench. Did they just up and leave the team with only 5 players.

I dont think our chances of winning it all is any different than it was before the 16 of 17 run. Timmy has missed 11 games, TP 12 and Manu 13 games. And we still have a 53-17 record. Kawhi and SJax have missed 21 games each. Yet we are 53-17. Only Tiago, Boris and Danny have played in at least 68 or more games. And for a bigger surprise, Nando De Colo is the only other Spurs player to see the court in 61 or more games.

If some of you were to read posts like these on the Thunder board you would swear that they were afraid of the Spurs. i dont think there is a top 5 team in either conference who is afraid of another team. The top 5 in the west have all won 68 % or more of their games. I find it hard to believe any of them with the whole team healthy would be afraid of any team. I think we are the only team that in a 7 game series will have a chance against the Heat because we are built so much a like and we are deeper.

GO SPURS GO

:toast

Chris16
03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Maybe the Spurs should stop winning 50+ games every year if they aren't considered a championship calibre team. I will say this though, if they don't get to the Finals this year it's time for some changes.

romsho
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Not really.

Have you thought that all season or just more recently?

RD2191
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
all ive seen is spurs fans making excuses all year. they keep saying the reg season doesn't matter while the spurs keep on showing no sign of improvement. 2nd round exit coming up.

TampaDude
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Love my Spurs but Miami is repeating this year. Simple as that.

^ this

A fully healthy Spurs team with HCA has a shot at beating Miami, but it's most likely that the HEAT will REPEAT.

ElNono
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
The odds were always long since Lebron started to dominate a season or two ago. And let's face it, a lot of things have to go your way to win it all.

mercos
03-25-2013, 12:38 PM
The Spurs are easily a championship caliber team. If I am not mistaken, they are top 5 in both offense and defense, depending on what statistics you use. They have one of the best front courts in the game. Tony Parker is the best point guard in the league. Kawhi Leonard is quickly developing into one of the top 10 small forwards in the league. The Spurs are also deep. All of the ingredients are there, it is simply a matter of whether or not they show up in the playoffs.

Of course, all of those points only exist on paper. In today's NBA, you only have a realistic shot to contend if you have a bankable superstar on your roster. All the big analysts say you need stars in the playoffs, which is just another way of saying they are going to get all the calls in crunch time. The Spurs are likely to face this problem in round one, whether it is against Houston or LA. Harden shot 16 free throws in the loss Sunday night, something I took as a preview of what would be coming if San Antonio gets Houston in round one. I don't even want to picture the waning seconds of a tight game with the Lakers.

Then of course there is the elephant in the room, Miami. While their winning streak is impressive, this is a beatable team come playoff time. They have no low post presence to speak of. There are a handful of teams that present match up nightmares for the Heat in a 7 game series. All things being equal, the Heat would be favorites, but not overwhelmingly so as they are now. In a superstar driven league like the NBA, they are basically a lock at this point. In fact, you might as well assume at least a three peat.

Richie
03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I think we're 50/50 to make it out of the West and probably have a 25% shot of beating Miami in the Finals.

After Miami, I think we should be the 2nd favourites for the title. I think us and Memphis are the only teams with a realistic shot at beating Miami in the Finals

Cane
03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
If healthy, yes. But imo the Spurs should have made a trade for a backup PG and/or more legit help in the frontcourt. Relying on the Bad B's probably won't help if more than 1 is on the court at the same time, which will happen: Bonner/Blair/Boris/Baynes. But easier said than done

/armchair GM

ElNono
03-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Believe

spurtech09
03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
well spurs haven't been playing like it the last couple of games but the refs have something to do with it.....

cd98
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Kind of depends. They have talent and experience. They have shooters. They have stars. But they are inconsistent at times. The next couple of games will tell us where the Spurs are at. But the west is so deep that I could believe the Spurs win the western conference finals or lose in the first round. Either is entirely possible depending on the match ups.

One thing for sure, for having the best record in the West, we are not the most dominate team in the west.

Arcadian
03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
It's all about peaking at the right time. They peaked too early the last 2 years. You don't want to peak in March or April. You want to peak in May and June. Maybe they'll time it right this year.

itzsoweezee
03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Spurs offense is really not what it was last year or even earlier this year. The three point shooting is especially worrisome. The Spurs are not making it out of the west without ELITE shooting from long distance.

SA210
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I'll never count my Spurs out, but it's obvious my fave player Ginobili isn't all there right now. I think a lot of it has to do with him playing through the summer, and it's very mental right now as well, imo. Shoulda rested him for a month early on. There is no doubt Manu needs to be Manu for us to have a chance. I have faith he can, I hope that he does. Tony may be the MVP of the team right now, but if Manu can find himself again, we all know reality is he is the real MVP when he's got it going. Just haven't seen it this year.

We are gonna need that. And I agree, our defense is not as good as some think. Hopefully they have an awakening very soon. I still believe, but they need to get their act together. :tu

Bruno
03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Have you thought that all season or just more recently?

It pretty much the same since the Harden trade. I don't really think there is a WCF team that is significantly better than Spurs so they have a good shot at winning it. In the east, and even before their big winning streak, Miami seems to be way better.

hater
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
although this year the defense is much improved. looking at the way Manu has regressed, you can't seriously call this year's team better.

Now if by a miracle Manu + Jax start performing in the playoffs, which is possible since they are bonafide playoff performers, then you have a pretty good chance of making the Finals. But that's it, which is pretty good IMO. Reaching the finals and losing to the Heat would be a successful season :tu

spurraider21
03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Here's a counter-question. Is there any team in the west outside of OKC that would be favored in a 7 game series vs the Spurs. Do you think the Spurs could handle the Grizz, Clippers, or Nuggets in a 7 game series? Do you think the Spurs have a good shot out ousting OKC in the conference finals provided we have home court?

If we can get to the finals, all bets are off. Miami is easily the best team, but ish happens

Pop
03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Here's a counter-question. Is there any team in the west outside of OKC that would be favored in a 7 game series vs the Spurs. Do you think the Spurs could handle the Grizz, Clippers, or Nuggets in a 7 game series? Do you think the Spurs have a good shot out ousting OKC in the conference finals provided we have home court?

If we can get to the finals, all bets are off. Miami is easily the best team, but ish happens

The current ball stopping Spurs yes, they could lose to Memphis absolutely if Tim gets shut down. It'd take some horrendous coaching but Pop is not exactly on top of his game these days.

RD2191
03-25-2013, 03:09 PM

our offense is shit and it stalls way too much. the ball movement is gone and if we aint hitting the 3 then we have no chance

bklynspursfan
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Not that it's any indication of anything, but lets see how they perform this week.

romsho
03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
It pretty much the same since the Harden trade. I don't really think there is a WCF team that is significantly better than Spurs so they have a good shot at winning it. In the east, and even before their big winning streak, Miami seems to be way better.

You and I have similar views. For Miami, not just the talent, but the weakness of the East is a real help to them. Whoever comes out of the West will have had a much tougher road, not to mention Miami's homecourt advantage. Barring injury, it lays out very well for them.

ElNono
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
although this year the defense is much improved. looking at the way Manu has regressed, you can't seriously call this year's team better.

I think you can. Manu wasn't really a factor during last season's playoffs until the actual WCFs. The Spurs were extremely lucky last season in a number of areas (only 66 games regular season, weak Utah team, CP3 hobbled). The point though is that opponents matter a lot to actually make comparisons. Losing to Memphis in the 2nd round wouldn't necessarily mean this team is worse than last season's team. It's a worst overall result, but unless you can replicate the same conditions, it's difficult to compare teams.

I thought that last season was definitely a great opportunity, in that a bunch of stuff lined up perfectly. You don't get that every season, even if you play great.

baseline bum
03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
^ this

A fully healthy Spurs team with HCA has a shot at beating Miami, but it's most likely that the HEAT will REPEAT.

If Miami is beaten up and broken down then maybe, but nothing about the way either team is playing tells me otherwise all things being equal.

Budkin
03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
No. Way too inconsistent. Another regular season championship year. We REALLY blew what was most likely our last realistic chance at winning it all in the Duncan era last year. That's why that loss still hurts.

Budkin
03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
^ this

^ this this

td4mvp21
03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Some days yes, some days no. And even on the days when I'm thinking "yes," it's just championship caliber - not that they'll actually win the championship. It's all about Miami.

in2deep
03-25-2013, 06:27 PM
again its about D.

I am starting to see some defensive consistency. I see all guys on the floor playing hard on D. I am on the bandwagon :tu

TD 21
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Not really.

So you either think the Thunder have a 80% chance or that a team besides the two of them has a legit shot at winning the West?

The only shot this team has, is if Ginobili and Neal rediscover their games. Unfortunately, that's probably not possible until next season in the case of Neal, which puts even more pressure/responsibility on Ginobili.

rascal
03-25-2013, 09:05 PM
They have one of the best front courts in the game.

How do you figure? They are weak. It has been the biggest weakness for years now.

Kidd K
03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
If healthy, and Manu finally gets his head out of his ass, I think the Spurs are a championship caliber team this year, yeah.

The Thunder got worse, The Grizzlies are worse, the Clippers are still worse than us though they got a little better, we can beat the Nuggets (who are good), and the Heat are basically the same as last year.

Statistically, the Spurs are playing roughly the same offensively (little worse), but noticably better on defense. My main concerns with the Spurs right now are Manu seeming to have declined a LOT from 2 years ago, and the late game turnovers that everyone besides Parker seems to be committing lately.

BillMc
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Sure, we're a championship caliber team. Only Miami is playing clearly better than us right now and anything can happen before June. Even with our recent flaws we're 7-3 only Denver and Miami have a better record over the last 10, and we've a better over-all record than any other team at 7-3 in their last 10. Against any other team in the league besides Miami, except maybe (and I say maybe) the Thunder, the Spurs would be favored in a seven game series. Even Denver, with their streak (soon to end), would be an underdog in Vegas against us. So, yeah, we're in the championship discussion.

Mikesatx
03-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Just played 8 games without our best player and legit MVP candidate and went 6-2 now trying to readjust to him being back and would be 2-0 without a tough last second make from Harden. This team isn't as fun to watch as last years but they are playing better defensively while sacrificing a bit on the offensive side. A trade-off that needed to be made to better championship chances. Manu will be fine and huge for the Spurs in the playoffs. Can this team win the championship this year? OH HELL YES!!

mercos
03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
How do you figure? They are weak. It has been the biggest weakness for years now.

Tim Duncan has been one of the best bigs in the game this season, not sure how that's weak. Tiago Splitter's numbers aren't spectacular, but his play has been very strong. Diaw is a respectable third option off the bench. I'm doubtful that Bonner and Blair are going to get noticeable minutes in the playoffs, as Pop has already previewed several times a rotation that does not include them.

Strategic
03-26-2013, 12:42 AM
I think it's a championship team as long as Pop doesn't force the ball into Manu and Tim's hands down the stretch.

ambchang
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Doesn't matter, the Spurs have lost momentum since Parker's injury. Not even sure if they can get to the WCF.

boutons_deux
03-26-2013, 09:05 AM
12 games remaining, 7 against playoff teams, 6 in WC.

We'll have a good sense by 15 April how the Spurs will do in the playoffs.

101A
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
12 games remaining, 7 against playoff teams, 6 in WC.

We'll have a good sense by 15 April how the Spurs will do in the playoffs.

Like last season?

The way they finished, you'd have thought......nevermind.

We'll know only after the playoffs end how the Spurs will do; everything else is just guessing. Based on how good Tony, Tim, Leonard & Splitter are playing; along with the extra season for Green, Jack & Diaw; I, personally think they are going to be an extremely tough out - and have a hell of a chance at #5 (if they stay healthy). The rest of the season is for Pop to prepare the team for the playoffs - W/L record is irrelevant. Spurs will finish 1 or 2 (if I were a betting man, I'd say 2). Losing HCA doesn't bother me AT ALL - since having it has meant so little (what percentage of 1 seeds actually come out of the West, after all?)

Pop is going to give the biggest FU to the league for the OKC game, I think. Gonna sit major stars (Tim, Tony, Manu for sure) in a game that is going to be touted as "for all the marbles - HCA throughout the West!!. Going to use that opportunity to demonstrate how relatively meaningless the regular season is. 4th game in 5 nights vs. 4 days rest? Spurs had no chance when this one was scheduled - identical to what happened in Miami earlier. What are the odds the same scenario would play out vs. the two finalists from last season, if not by design; to show how the Spurs don't really stack up?

eDizzle20
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
This team is absolutely a contender. To me it's all about matchups. Okc doesn't have Harden, which I think will prevent them from beating the Spurs. I actually like Spurs chances against the Heat more than okc because the Heat are even lousier than the Spurs on the boards. I love the Heat's winning streak, but the majority of teams they're beating are not all that great. I think the Heat's streak will end in New Orleans.

rjv
03-26-2013, 03:55 PM
not lately. they have looked more like a team that can lose in the 1st round more so than a contender

ThaBigFundamental21
03-26-2013, 04:42 PM
The Spurs aren't playing great right now, we all know that. We have seen Manu play sub par. The whole Offense in general. But Tony is back, he is starting to look good. When he goes, so goes the team. He opens things up for everyone. He helps our perimeter shooting, he makes Tim's life easier as well. We need Manu to start playing better, I think we can all agree on that. Neal hasn't seen much time lately either. He has been bogged down with injuries. Some time off isn't a bad thing for him at all. We need to see some life out of the Spurs the final 10 games or so to think they have a legit shot.

With that being said, how can you all be serious with your "We aren't a championship team, give the ring to Miami right now!" Are you fuckin serious? They have a hell of a winning streak, but that is all it is. It doesn't guarantee a title, it doesn't guarantee playoff success. Parker, arguably our best player, was just out for weeks. We lost some dumb games. We rested Tim and Leonard, lost another bad one. But now all of a sudden everyone is ready to say we aren't a championship team??? After we smacked OKC the bandwagon was in full force, everyone was riding. Have any team in the NBA rest or lose arguably their best 3 players, or have arguably their best player get injured and tell me they will continue to roll??? You guys have to be kidding me. If the Spurs don't look right over their final 10 games I might agree with you. But right now we should be thankful we are getting back to full strength just in time for the playoffs and have the number 1 seed in the West. RIDE OR DIE!

rjv
03-26-2013, 04:48 PM
last i heard the problem with neal has been his conditioning. coaching staff wanted him to be in better shape.

Man In Black
03-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Fucking Chicken Littles.

When the playoffs come, I expect that the team will make some Chicken Adobo out of the lot of you sky is falling peeps.

I expect a deep run this season and I'm hopeful that this team can get 1 for the thumb, because truthfully, they aren't the favorites and even if they were, you could expect that the league would still hold up OKC and Miami and even the LAL, in higher regard.

Still They Ride and last time I looked, they are still on top of the West.
Go Spurs Go!

ThaBigFundamental21
03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Fucking Chicken Littles.

When the playoffs come, I expect that the team will make some Chicken Adobo out of the lot of you sky is falling peeps.

I expect a deep run this season and I'm hopeful that this team can get 1 for the thumb, because truthfully, they aren't the favorites and even if they were, you could expect that the league would still hold up OKC and Miami and even the LAL, in higher regard.

Go Spurs Go!

EXACTLY!!! Well said!

Hoops Czar
03-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Fucking Chicken Littles.

Go Spurs Go!

I'm way too lazy to spam your post with threads posted back in 2010-11 so I won't. As far as winning a championship or making a deep playoff run, that's totally dependent on whether or not Tony gets any help. If he's the beginning, the middle and the end for the Spurs, they'll struggle to make it out of the first round. That's not being a chicken little, that's using common f#cking sense.

dbreiden83080
03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Really all the Spurs teams that won rings had holes and easily could have lost except for maybe the 99 squad. Sadly some of the holes this team has are not offset by a prime Tim Duncan. I think this is one of the most well rounded squads in the Duncan era but like most teams almost all of the elements need to be clicking to make it to the finals.. If Kahwi doesn't play big in the playoffs, forget it..

D12
03-26-2013, 09:46 PM
The Lakers will end the Spurs' season in a couple of weeks from now.

TheGoldStandard
03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I'd take a Prime Duncan led team to any well rounded team, 4 down against the competition that is in the west would be unstoppable.

sasffl
03-26-2013, 10:58 PM
when they play the championship caliber defense, they're a championship contender

Sean Cagney
03-27-2013, 12:13 AM
The Lakers will end the Spurs' season in a couple of weeks from now.

LMFAO........ Have fun without Artest for a while as well, they are not going to make the playoffs because the Mavs are. I said it first.

Arcadian
03-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Does Anyone Get The Sense This Is A Championship Caliber Team? (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211379&page=2)

Yes.

I know the games have been ugly lately. But frankly, I see that as a good thing. I love how this team can grind out victories with good old-fashioned defense and Duncan-centered offense. Takes me back to the mid-2000s...ah, the glory days.

With the latest pieces around Duncan - namely an improved Kawhi Leonard and Tiago Splitter, along with MVP-level Parker - I think we are definitely championship-level.

HI-FI
03-27-2013, 01:58 AM
I suppose I flip flop on my belief. The truth is the West is going to be a wild shootout, who knows who will be standing. But I do believe that if the Spurs build some momentum and confidence, where everything is clicking, then we can beat anyone, including the Heat whom everyone already thinks will repeat.

At this point I only care about health, seeding is secondary.

pgardn
03-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Like last season?

The way they finished, you'd have thought......nevermind.

We'll know only after the playoffs end how the Spurs will do; everything else is just guessing. Based on how good Tony, Tim, Leonard & Splitter are playing; along with the extra season for Green, Jack & Diaw; I, personally think they are going to be an extremely tough out - and have a hell of a chance at #5 (if they stay healthy). The rest of the season is for Pop to prepare the team for the playoffs - W/L record is irrelevant. Spurs will finish 1 or 2 (if I were a betting man, I'd say 2). Losing HCA doesn't bother me AT ALL - since having it has meant so little (what percentage of 1 seeds actually come out of the West, after all?)

Pop is going to give the biggest FU to the league for the OKC game, I think. Gonna sit major stars (Tim, Tony, Manu for sure) in a game that is going to be touted as "for all the marbles - HCA throughout the West!!. Going to use that opportunity to demonstrate how relatively meaningless the regular season is. 4th game in 5 nights vs. 4 days rest? Spurs had no chance when this one was scheduled - identical to what happened in Miami earlier. What are the odds the same scenario would play out vs. the two finalists from last season, if not by design; to show how the Spurs don't really stack up?

Uhhh..

I thought last year was very good. We got worn down by a better team. IMO we are better and OKC is clearly not without Harden. Our D is inconsistent but clearly better. But the LAST game is always the most important, on this board, and we lost.

Man In Black
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm way too lazy to spam your post with threads posted back in 2010-11 so I won't. As far as winning a championship or making a deep playoff run, that's totally dependent on whether or not Tony gets any help. If he's the beginning, the middle and the end for the Spurs, they'll struggle to make it out of the first round. That's not being a chicken little, that's using common f#cking sense.

Common sense shows that Spurs differential ratings in offense is still among the highest. What's better is that D Ratings are approaching the levels when they were primarily a low scoring defensive oriented team. It's right there in black and white: http://hoopdata.com/teamff.aspx

Okay Parker goes out for 3 weeks but the team goes 6-2. If he was the Alpha and Omega, then why does the team go 6-2? They should have gone 1-7 right, since Parker is the guy, no...they went 6-2 because the team has talent and depth outside of TP. While his game is most certainly key to it all, the team still has championship pieces and mindset. So they lost by 1 point on a the road thanks to a James Harden kickout move(Thanks Reggie Miller). But at the end of the day, Even though Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan have missed close to 40 games combined...STILL THEY RIDE and in 1st place in the West. So...how is that not common sense?

Homeland Security
03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Spurs have probably the 2nd best chance to come out of the West. The Heat are runaway favorites to win the whole thing.

Not many teams win championships without transcendent talent. The Spurs had it (Duncan) when they won. Now, the best they have is Parker, who is a very good player making the most of his talents through superior coaching, not a transcendent talent.

The Spurs win because they are far away the best-coached team in the league. Their system is leaps and bounds beyond what anyone else does. Every single Spurs fan who thinks that Pop is what holds the team back is an idiot. Give the Spurs an average coach and they're a 47-35 team.

But an above-average opposing coach can figure out the weak spots in a system over the course of a long series. See Scott Brooks, Sefalosha on Parker, game over. An opposing coach can't solve transcendent talent. When Durant or James or Wade goes off, there's nothing you can do.

That's why the Spurs aren't playoff favorites.

Cry Havoc
03-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Other than the Heat, which team DOES look like a Championship team?

To date, we're the best team in the West (2nd in the NBA). The team that's behind us in the standings is 1-2 against us this year.

If we aren't title favorites, we have to be the top candidate to emerge from the West.

If you would have gone back to 2006 and said we'd even be in contention right now, a lot of Spurs fans would have laughed in your face. As it is, we've retooled, reloaded, and we're probably the only team in the NBA with the potential to knock out the team with a guy who is going to go down as a top 3 player of all-time. Fuck the haters, you know who you are. We have no business being in this position, and you have no room to call yourselves Spurs fans if you think you're entitled to 15 years of constant dominance and championship contention. That is absolutely unrivaled in NBA history, at least since the merger.

Savor it, don't scorn it.

Obstructed_View
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
They aren't playing like it at the moment, but "championship caliber"? Yes. Problem is, nobody's beating the Miami Hght.

Losing to Miami in the finals would be the first time the Spurs have performed to expectation in the playoffs since 2007.

rascal
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Doesn't matter, the Spurs have lost momentum since Parker's injury. Not even sure if they can get to the WCF.

No such thing as momentum from one game to another. Just look at last year 20 in a row, you would think no way with the 20 in a row momentum they can lose 4 in a row.

skulls138
03-27-2013, 09:13 PM
A few losses always give reasons to doubt. Dont tell me you havent thought the complete opposite and that the Spurs could win it all. The Spurs are better this year and Ginobili WILL find his magic.

People forget that Manu has always looked horrible in stretches but then looked like the best person to ever hold a b-ball

look_at_g_shred
05-31-2013, 11:34 AM
I really don't. There are way too many variables for this team that almost have to go right for it to happen. Parker has to be the man. Ginobili and Duncan have to step it up in a major way(not too worried about Duncan, but he could gas at almost any time). Leonard, Splitter, and Green have to maintain their production or exceed it to make up for Ginobilis potential decline. We're probably going to have to win a series against the Thunder and the Heat on the road to win. I realize Parker has been out and the stats haven't looked terrible(point differential is still great), but the eye test for me has been just a team that's either tired of the regular season or becoming inconsistent down the stretch. They just don't seem to have the killer instinct that they possessed last season on the offensive end in my view; hopefully the team is out of the injury bug woods and can gel in the next month. If they do win it all I could see them as a kind of Mavericks 2011 run but I guess we all thought the same thing last year also.

bump

Obstructed_View
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
I change my vote. The HGHt look beatable. It'll take the Spurs playing better than they've played thus far this postseason, but it's not impossible.

DejuanorwhatDude
05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
bump

Nothing I said was incorrect. Tony has been the man over the playoffs. Leonard, Green and Splitter have all stepped up. Ginobili has had major moments. We've even had great games out of Matt Bonner. Anyone who says they looked like contenders to end the season is lying to themselves.

Budkin
05-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Not so much during the season but the way we persevered against a red hot GS team and swept a tough as nails Memphis team, yes, without a doubt.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Every championship-winning team has flaws. I think the Spurs win trophy #5.