PDA

View Full Version : French 'Survivor' contestant dies on 1st day of filming

lefty
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Production on the French version of popular reality TV show Survivor has been cancelled following the death of a contestant on the first day of filming.

Gerald Babin suffered a cardiac arrest after shooting a tug-of-war challenge on location in Cambodia on Friday for the 16th series of the show, which is titled Koh-Lanta.

The 25 year old was airlifted to a local hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

TV bosses have now confirmed the season has been cancelled in the aftermath of the tragedy and all of the contestants are being flown back to France.

A joint statement from Channel TF1 and production company Adventure Line Productions (ALP) reads, "Adventure Line Productions, TF1 and (show host) Denis Broginart are devastated and join in the profound sadness of Gerald's family. All of their thoughts are with his parents, his sister, his girlfriend and all those close to him."

The 16th season of the show has been axed, but it is not yet known whether the program will continue in the future.

Koh-Lanta has run since 2011.

redzero
03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
I'd consider seriously watching Survivor if this happened regularly.

Latarian Milton
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM
it's always people's greed that kills them tbh. would rather watch the old classics where contenstants were asked to eat cows' nuzzles or roaches, or maggots, or sometimes fish's semen. that was disgusting as shit but at the very least those stuffs wouldn't kill anyone

jeebus
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
so someone dies, which is helping define the actual meaning of being a survivor, and it causes a brouhaha in the media. pft.

AussieFanKurt
03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
fucking gee up.. continue the show

monosylab1k
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
:lol of course it's some French pussy who can't handle it

CavsSuperFan
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Our neighbors and friends south of the border cross the desert in 110 degrees heat, no water, no food or shelter. They come out just fine. French guy has a tug a war & dies…Not making fun of him but “you got to be kidding”…

KL2
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gerald_Babin_Survivor.jpg

Was expecting a fat old dude.

InRareForm
03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Could be a unnoticed heart problem that wasn't found tbh...

Reck
03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
fucking gee up.. continue the show

Its insensitive and inconsiderate to keep going with a show knowing someone died. It would be different if the show was already say, midway through or something.

redzero
03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Could be a unnoticed heart problem that wasn't found tbh...

That was what I was thinking. It might be a pre-existing heart condition.

exstatic
03-26-2013, 07:14 AM
http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gerald_Babin_Survivor.jpg

Was expecting a fat old dude.

The 25 year old was airlifted to a local hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

R.I.F.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
That was what I was thinking. It might be a pre-existing heart condition.

That's where my mind went too. Seems there's usually at least one or two stories like this every summer that make their way into the national media as high school and college football programs start gearing up for the fall. Guy looks to be in perfect health and drops dead of a heart attack during drills.

resistanze
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
A 25 year old dying of cardiac arrest screams 'congential heart condition'.

Sad.

Woo Bum-kon
03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
This is what happens when one doesn't do their cardio.

silverblk mystix
03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
This was a golden opportunity. The rest of the season, they could have played on this and the ratings would have gone through the roof;

"Watch this week and find out if the American or the British contestants can survive what the French pussy could not!" "Who will survive?" (cue dramatic music and a couple of MTV style half-second images of the funeral with mama weeping uncontrollably)

Then the Spinoff series....the Papal Games;

"The Popemobile is filled with water and piranhas while the Pope is handcuffed and tied inside the Popemobile while the caravan rides through the streets of Rome. Can the Pope unty himself and escape the Popemobile before reaching the Coliseum and/or drowning on the way?

FkLA
03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Where you at Brazil? I told you the French were soft, bro. :lol

Brazil
03-26-2013, 03:41 PM
R.I.P tbh

:cry sad day for his girl friend and family

Gerald, you will be missed

mingus
03-28-2013, 12:50 AM
myocardial hypertrophy, maybe. heart condition responsible for deaths of a lot of young people, especially while or right after exercise. a lot of times people will go through life with this heart condition and not know it because for a lot of people they have no symptoms.

chunticakes
03-28-2013, 04:45 AM
that's what boner pills will do to ya.

lefty
04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
The show's doctor just took his own life :wow