PDA

View Full Version : My buzz not from the wine, from ZELL

NeoConIV
09-02-2004, 12:49 AM
How do you rate Zell's Speech tonight?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.rncc12309020210.cvn_keynote_miller_rncc123.jp g
GEORGE W BUSH!!!

exstatic
09-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Sleep it off.

NeoConIV
09-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Dream on baby.

IcemanCometh
09-02-2004, 02:00 AM
http://home.dc.rr.com/loboloco/images/theylivegop.jpg

NeoConIV
09-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Wait till I get photoshop you punkass, your ass is MINE!!!!

Nbadan
09-02-2004, 02:18 AM
:lol

Get a News-server.

NeoConIV
09-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Oh lordy, my drunk ass blindly gave Ice credit for the photoshop...DERRRRR

home.dc.rr.com/loboloco/i...ivegop.jpg (http://home.dc.rr.com/loboloco/images/theylivegop.jpg)

Good quality though tasteless.

I still want to cut heads with Ice. What up coolio, you game?

IcemanCometh
09-02-2004, 02:33 AM
i do not shop i merely aquire

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 02:33 AM
thief.

NeoConIV
09-02-2004, 02:35 AM
Not interested then?

What a shame.

gophergeorge
09-02-2004, 10:36 AM
He just made the list of men I'd kiss on the mouth... :)

Joe Chalupa
09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Do you know where his mouth's been?

On Dubya's ass.

Joe Chalupa
09-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Okay...what a smack down!

Zell Miller does represent what real democrats are all about, except for the endorsing Bush part.

Hell yeah I want our government to defend us.
Yes, I want the best for our troops.

Kerry needs to fight back and attack just like they did last night. It's time to take the gloves off and stop being Mr. Niceguy.

They put on one hell of a show last night.
Even the uncharasmatic Cheney managed pull off some great one-line punches that even I had to grimace.

War is an addiction.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 11:38 AM
War is an addiction.

Indeed. Kerry hasn't gotten over the Vietnam War variety...

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 11:51 AM
"Okay...what a smack down!"
You got that right.

"Zell Miller does represent what real democrats are all about,..."
Maybe 20 years ago. He's one of the few (if not the only) Democrat of his species, left on the planet.

"...except for the endorsing Bush part."
Why would he endorse Kerry? He laid out, for you and everyone else, how Kerry has attempted, time and time again, to emasculate our national security over the past 20 years.

I loved Vice President Cheney's assessment, which buttressed Senator Miller's position perfectly:

Vice President Dick Cheney:

"In his years in Washington, John Kerry has been one of a hundred votes in the United States Senate -- and fortunately on matters of national security, his views rarely prevailed. But the presidency is an entirely different proposition. A senator can be wrong for 20 years, without consequence to the nation; but a President -- a President -- always casts the deciding vote [on matters of national defense]. And, in this time of challenge, America needs -- and America has -- a President we can count on to get it right."
I know this is true. Zell Miller knows this is true. How 'bout you?

"Hell yeah I want our government to defend us.
Yes, I want the best for our troops."
And, yet, you'd vote for a man that has attempted to decimate and emasculate our defenses and our military for going on 20 years now? Not to mention, a man that sat down in front of the U.S. Senate and called his comrades-in-arms, left behind in Vietnam, baby killers, mass murderers, and thugs?

"Kerry needs to fight back and attack just like they did last night. It's time to take the gloves off and stop being Mr. Niceguy."
What's he going to attack? President Bush didn't spend the last 20 years dissin' America and attempting to block every major weapons program to come along. President Bush doesn't want to turn our national security over to the United Nations.

Really, what can Kerry attack?

"They put on one hell of a show last night.
Even the uncharasmatic Cheney managed pull off some great one-line punches that even I had to grimace."
Well, the truth hurts, Joe. Buck it up and admit, Kerry isn't Presidential material and, really, he represents your position, on the important matters, less than does President Bush.

"War is an addiction."
What the **** does that mean? In the current circumstances, war is the only option. Read my signature.

Joe Chalupa
09-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I've seen your signature so many times I see red.

I have confidence Kerry will defend our country and don't question his loyalty and patriotism.

Hey, love the man you are voting for.

He's one of the few (if not the only) Democrat of his species, left on the planet.

There are more of us then you think.

Bottom line is they did what they set out to do and for that I give them props.

It takes more then a good speech to change my mind.

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 12:19 PM
"There are more of us then you think."
Not if you're voting for John F. Kerry.

And, granted they were good speeches (as you said). But, more than that...they were dead on right.

Can you refute anything Senator Miller and Vice President Cheney said?

Does Kerry NOT have an abysmal voting record when it comes to defense/military/national security issues?

Does Kerry NOT want the national security policies of the President's office to be subject to U.N. approval?

Did Kerry NOT sit before the U.S. Congress and call fellow Vietnam Veterans, some still fighting, some imprisoned, some dead; baby killers, mass murderers, and thugs?

So, really, what, in John Kerry's voting record and John Kerry's past makes you believe he'll be a President, strong on National security and defense?

As Senator Miller said, 20 years of voting says more about a man than 20 weeks of campaign rhetoric.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Miller's speech will strike a chord among many Democrats. As much as the media and some in here love to regal us with tales of the GOP becoming ever more conservative, the Demos have become ever more extreme themselves. A lot of people still have not forgotten that this nation was attacked a scant three years ago and remains a target of determined terrorists. Looking at the electoral map, one can't help but think that Miller will help Bush in nothern Florida, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, rural Ohio, rural Pennsylvania, West Virginia, etc. Bush is solidifying the base of states that won him the presidency in 2000 and hitting Kerry in the weaker parts (for Kerry) of the Gore states. Miller not only may persuade moderate to conservative minded Democrats to support Bush, but also reinforces the decision of Democrats who have already decided to vote for Bush.

xrayzebra
09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Here is the speech, read it for yourself and see if he wasn't
correct in every aspect. It was a great speech, one he
can be proud of and spoken like a TRUE Democrat. Not like
the Dem-o-craps of today.

Text of speech by Democratic Sen. Zell Miller (news, bio, voting record) of Georgia as prepared for delivery Wednesday at the Republican National Convention:

AFP
Slideshow: Zell Miller

Latest headlines:
· 19 Anti-Bush Protesters Arrested in N.Y.
AP - 4 minutes ago

· Bush to lay out 'vision' for the future in his acceptance speech
AFP - 19 minutes ago

· Barbara Bush Enjoys Disciplinarian Role
AP - 22 minutes ago

All Election Coverage

___

Since I last stood in this spot, a whole new generation of the Miller Family has been born: Four great grandchildren.

Along with all the other members of our close-knit family, they are my and Shirley's most precious possessions.

And I know that's how you feel about your family also. Like you, I think of their future, the promises and the perils they will face.

Like you, I believe that the next four years will determine what kind of world they will grow up in.

And like you, I ask which leader is it today that has the vision, the willpower and, yes, the backbone to best protect my family?

The clear answer to that question has placed me in this hall with you tonight. For my family is more important than my party.

There is but one man to whom I am willing to entrust their future and that man's name is George Bush (news - web sites).

In the summer of 1940, I was an 8-year-old boy living in a remote little Appalachian valley. Our country was not yet at war, but even we children knew that there were some crazy men across the ocean who would kill us if they could.

President Roosevelt, in his speech that summer, told America "all private plans, all private lives, have been in a sense repealed by an overriding public danger."

In 1940, Wendell Wilkie was the Republican nominee.

And there is no better example of someone repealing their "private plans" than this good man. He gave Roosevelt the critical support he needed for a peacetime draft, an unpopular idea at the time.

And he made it clear that he would rather lose the election than make national security a partisan campaign issue.

Shortly before Wilkie died, he told a friend, that if he could write his own epitaph and had to choose between "here lies a president" or "here lies one who contributed to saving freedom," he would prefer the latter.

Where are such statesmen today?

Where is the bipartisanship in this country when we need it most?

Now, while young Americans are dying in the sands of Iraq (news - web sites) and the mountains of Afghanistan (news - web sites), our nation is being torn apart and made weaker because of the Democrat's manic obsession to bring down our Commander in Chief.

What has happened to the party I've spent my life working in?

I can remember when Democrats believed that it was the duty of America to fight for freedom over tyranny.

It was Democratic President Harry Truman who pushed the Red Army out of Iran, who came to the aid of Greece when Communists threatened to overthrow it, who stared down the Soviet blockade of West Berlin by flying in supplies and saving the city.

Time after time in our history, in the face of great danger, Democrats and Republicans worked together to ensure that freedom would not falter. But not today.

Motivated more by partisan politics than by national security, today's Democratic leaders see America as an occupier, not a liberator.

And nothing makes this Marine madder than someone calling American troops occupiers rather than liberators.

Tell that to the one-half of Europe that was freed because Franklin Roosevelt led an army of liberators, not occupiers.

Tell that to the lower half of the Korean Peninsula that is free because Dwight Eisenhower commanded an army of liberators, not occupiers.

Tell that to the half a billion men, women and children who are free today from the Baltics to the Crimea, from Poland to Siberia, because Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) rebuilt a military of liberators, not occupiers.

Never in the history of the world has any soldier sacrificed more for the freedom and liberty of total strangers than the American soldier. And, our soldiers don't just give freedom abroad, they preserve it for us here at home.

For it has been said so truthfully that it is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives that protester the freedom to abuse and burn that flag.

No one should dare to even think about being the Commander in Chief of this country if he doesn't believe with all his heart that our soldiers are liberators abroad and defenders of freedom at home.

But don't waste your breath telling that to the leaders of my party today. In their warped way of thinking America is the problem, not the solution.

They don't believe there is any real danger in the world except that which America brings upon itself through our clumsy and misguided foreign policy.

It is not their patriotism — it is their judgment that has been so sorely lacking. They claimed Carter's pacifism would lead to peace.

They were wrong.

They claimed Reagan's defense buildup would lead to war.

They were wrong.

And, no pair has been more wrong, more loudly, more often than the two Senators from Massachusetts, Ted Kennedy and John Kerry (news - web sites).

Together, Kennedy/Kerry have opposed the very weapons system that won the Cold War and that is now winning the War on Terror.

Listing all the weapon systems that Senator Kerry tried his best to shut down sounds like an auctioneer selling off our national security but Americans need to know the facts.

The B-1 bomber, that Senator Kerry opposed, dropped 40 percent of the bombs in the first six months of Operation Enduring Freedom.

The B-2 bomber, that Senator Kerry opposed, delivered air strikes against the Taliban in Afghanistan and Hussein's command post in Iraq.

The F-14A Tomcats, that Senator Kerry opposed, shot down Khadifi's Libyan MIGs over the Gulf of Sidra. The modernized F-14D, that Senator Kerry opposed, delivered missile strikes against Tora Bora.

The Apache helicopter, that Senator Kerry opposed, took out those Republican Guard tanks in Kuwait in the Gulf War (news - web sites). The F-15 Eagles, that Senator Kerry opposed, flew cover over our Nation's Capital and this very city after 9/11.

I could go on and on and on: against the Patriot Missile that shot down Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s scud missiles over Israel; against the Aegis air-defense cruiser; against the Strategic Defense Initiative; against the Trident missile; against, against, against.

This is the man who wants to be the Commander in Chief of our U.S. Armed Forces?

U.S. forces armed with what? Spitballs?

Twenty years of votes can tell you much more about a man than twenty weeks of campaign rhetoric.

Campaign talk tells people who you want them to think you are. How you vote tells people who you really are deep inside.

Senator Kerry has made it clear that he would use military force only if approved by the United Nations (news - web sites).

Kerry would let Paris decide when America needs defending.

I want Bush to decide.

John Kerry, who says he doesn't like outsourcing, wants to outsource our national security.

That's the most dangerous outsourcing of all. This politician wants to be leader of the free world.

Free for how long?

For more than 20 years, on every one of the great issues of freedom and security, John Kerry has been more wrong, more weak and more wobbly than any other national figure.

As a war protester, Kerry blamed our military.

As a Senator, he voted to weaken our military. And nothing shows that more sadly and more clearly than his vote this year to deny protective armor for our troops in harms way, far away.

George Bush understands that we need new strategies to meet new threats.

John Kerry wants to re-fight yesterday's war. George Bush believes we have to fight today's war and be ready for tomorrow's challenges. George Bush is committed to providing the kind of forces it takes to root out terrorists.

No matter what spider hole they may hide in or what rock they crawl under.

George Bush wants to grab terrorists by the throat and not let them go to get a better grip.

From John Kerry, they get a "yes-no-maybe" bowl of mush that can only encourage our enemies and confuse our friends.

I first got to know George Bush when we served as governors together. I admire this man. I am moved by the respect he shows the first lady, his unabashed love for his parents and his daughters, and the fact that he is unashamed of his belief that God is not indifferent to America.

I can identify with someone who has lived that line in "Amazing Grace," "Was blind, but now I see," and I like the fact that he's the same man on Saturday night that he is on Sunday morning.

He is not a slick talker but he is a straight shooter and, where I come from, deeds mean a lot more than words.

I have knocked on the door of this man's soul and found someone home, a God-fearing man with a good heart and a spine of tempered steel.

The man I trust to protect my most precious possession: my family.

This election will change forever the course of history, and that's not any history. It's our family's history.

The only question is how. The answer lies with each of us. And, like many generations before us, we've got some hard choosing to do.

Right now the world just cannot afford an indecisive America. Fainthearted self-indulgence will put at risk all we care about in this world.

In this hour of danger our President has had the courage to stand up. And this Democrat is proud to stand up with him.

Thank you.

God Bless this great country and God Bless George W. Bush.

SAmikeyp
09-02-2004, 12:49 PM
as someone who is undecided in this election....the Democrats are not making points by having one of their own pitch for the other guy.

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Not just one.

Ed Koch, way more liberal than Zell Miller is also pitching for President Bush. As are many other prominent local Democrats...particularly mayors of large cities (potential terrorist targets.)

Then you have Tom "Puff" Daschle hugging on Bush in his commercials.

SAmikeyp
09-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I saw that too. How does a party expect to unite a nation, when they can't be united themselves?

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:05 PM
no party is totally united with each other, hell there are republicans that voted for bush last election that are supporting kerry this time around. thats the way it always is, there are defectors in every election

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 01:07 PM
"no party is totally united with each other, hell there are republicans that voted for bush last election that are supporting kerry this time around."
Really? Name one prominent Republican that's going to vote for Kerry. Just one.

And, as for Puff Dashle. The Bush Campaign has asked him to cease and desist from showing that clip any more. They really don't want to be associated with him.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:19 PM
i never said "prominent", i.e in the senate or whatever you mean, i meant in general, there are many republicans that are voting for kerry this time around. dont act like this is surprising. im sure many democrats are voting for bush as well this time. my point is there is never a time in an election when a party is totally unified and has no defectors

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
"there are many republicans that are voting for kerry this time around."
And, your support for this assertion comes from...

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
well, this website for one:
www.republicansforkerry.org (http://www.republicansforkerry.org)

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Click on your own link:

Paid for and authorized by Kerry-Edwards 2004, Inc.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:27 PM
where did you see that?

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Before you edited it, apparently.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:42 PM
i had the wrong address, my edit was before your post trying to point that out

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 01:42 PM
You know Bandit, there are 6 billion people on this planet and over 350 million in this country.

Surely, a few of these could call themselves Republicans, start a website, and say they're for John Kerry.

Sorry, give me prominent, known Republicans that are voting for Kerry.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:44 PM
1 vote is 1 vote, why should it "count" more if a republican is "prominent" and voting for kerry, instead of a regular republican citizen voting for kerry? you asked for evidence that there are *gasp* actually republicans voting for kerry this time around, and i showed you.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
The problem for Kerry is that if a conservative Republican isn't too happy with Bush, that does not naturally lead them to support a liberal Democrat. It's much easier for a moderate to conservative Democrat to support Bush since the issues on which those Democrats are likely to feel alienated from their party on (defense, values) are going to be the positions on which Bush shares their position.

If you are a conservative Republican who hates Bush for the federal spending growth under his administration that does not lead you to naturally support someone who's only complaint is that the government did not grow fast enough.

Even if that person is a pro-choice Republican, if they are for a strong defense, low taxes, etc...again, there is not that natural connection between them and Kerry.

The Republicans who would be inclined to vote for Kerry are in New England. They're whatever remains of the Rockefeller GOP there.

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm not questioning the weight of their vote.

I'm questioning whether they are actually republicans. And, just because they say so in a website...doesn't make it so.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:47 PM
by your logic, just because zell miller says he is a democrat, doesnt make it so

xrayzebra
09-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Bandit, Zell nailed Kerry's butt to the wall. He told it just
like it is. He also nailed the Swimmer, Kennedy. Boy,
they wanted to get away from VN and talk about issues,
well they once again got their wish.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
lol, "I saw it on the internet, it must be true!"

I'll post my link to liberalsforbush.org as soon as my credit card gets done going through to register the domain name, I already have the web page ready ;)

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 02:13 PM
"by your logic, just because zell miller says he is a democrat, doesnt make it so"
prove to me which of those people on the website have voted Democratic for the last 60 someodd years...because that's how long Zell Miller has been voting and running as a Democrat. I'd say his bona fides are pretty rock solid in that department.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
just because you dont want to believe there are republicans voting for kerry doesnt make it false...sorry to disappoint you though

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 02:18 PM
You're right, I don't believe there are any true Republicans, with true Conservative values that are going to vote for John H. Kerry.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 03:00 PM
The GOP is much more united behind Bush than the Demos are behind Kerry. Poll after poll shows that.

Another problem for Kerry, and which explains his inability to take a clear position on the Iraq invasion is that a sizable number of his supporters in polls have indicated that they supported the decision to invade (something like 35%). This is where Zell Miller, Ed Koch, and Ron Silver come in. Miller is hitting moderate and conservative Democrats, mainly rural but perhaps some in the suburbs, who might just be receptive to the notion that the Democratic leadership is far too left and far too weak on defense. This is not an new concept, but it is one that Kerry has to deal with and this is probably why he has not come out against the Iraq invasion.

As for Koch and Silver, they represent liberals who have been mugged by reality when it comes to national security.

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Well said, TD.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Just as I thought, the Bush campaign will have Miller go to rural parts of some battleground states to make appeals to traditional Democrats.

www.nationalreview.com/ku...021518.asp (http://www.nationalreview.com/kudlow/kudlow200409021518.asp)

I interviewed Sen. Miller on the morning after his speech. I asked him about bringing over Democrats to Bush’s side. He said, “Bush himself, who is a likeable person and sound on the issues, will get a lot of Democrats and independents from his own efforts and record.” But Miller will lend a hand; he will be traveling this weekend to battleground states in Ohio and Pennsylvania “in order to change some minds and help people learn about Kerry’s record.”

Yonivore
09-04-2004, 09:49 PM
It's a plan.

Hook Dem
09-04-2004, 09:55 PM
"Kerry needs to fight back and attack just like they did last night. It's time to take the gloves off and stop being Mr. Niceguy." .........Thats a good one Joe! When was Kerry ever Mr.Niceguy?:lol

Yonivore
09-04-2004, 10:16 PM
What I want to know is what does Kerry think he has in his quiver to fight with?

Nbadan
09-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Another problem for Kerry, and which explains his inability to take a clear position on the Iraq invasion is that a sizable number of his supporters in polls have indicated that they supported the decision to invade (something like 35%). This is where Zell Miller, Ed Koch, and Ron Silver come in. Miller is hitting moderate and conservative Democrats, mainly rural but perhaps some in the suburbs, who might just be receptive to the notion that the Democratic leadership is far too left and far too weak on defense. This is not an new concept, but it is one that Kerry has to deal with and this is probably why he has not come out against the Iraq invasion.

:rollin

Ed Koch, Ron silver, Zell Miller....none of these guys have any pull with democrats anymore. Anyone who appears on the Sean Insanity show more than once a week has totally lost his credibility as a bone-a-fide democrat, even in the most independent of minds.

This sentence is a good example of how clue-less Texas republicans are about the progressive movement sweeping the rest of the nation.

Tommy Duncan
09-05-2004, 05:42 AM
I'm not a Texas Republican buddy and I'm not clueless about the great progressive wave you seem to think is out there. I only mentioned those 3 guys because they were speakers at the convention.

Kerry does have a problem in that his base consists of both sizable pro and anti-war voters. Hence his inability to take a fucking clear position as of now on Iraq.

Man, you get more idiotic with every post.

Nbadan
09-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Kerry does have a problem in that his base consists of both sizable pro and anti-war voters. Hence his inability to take a fucking clear position as of now on Iraq.

Don't mistake republican propaganda with what Kerry has really said, and that is that he won't back down on the real war on terror. He will try and get our troops out of Iraq in 6 months. He will spend more to protect our boarders, and finding Osama bin Laden and the real culprits behind 911 will become priority number 1 again.