PDA

View Full Version : How well did Bruce Bowen guard Kevin Durant?

Prime Time
03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I've always been wondering this. I realize Bowen was 1-2 years from retiring, and KD was only a rook-soph so the sample size isn't fair.. But how well did Bruce contain him?

I looked up some box scores, and KD averages 24.7ppg against Bowen (At the time KD only averaged 22.7ppg for his career) but stats don't tell the whole story. Maybe KD was making flukey shots.. this question is mainly to anyone who remembers those said games

I missed a lot of the 07-08/08-09 Seasons due to school, So to anyone who remembers even slightly; How did that matchup go?

Kidd K
03-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Bowen didn't play much in 2009, but Durant averaged 24.7 PPG on 48.7% FG% and 37.5% 3pt% against the Spurs when Bowen played in games. He also averaged 7 rebounds and 3.8 assists.

In other words, Bowen really didn't contain him at all. But he was old.

Juggity
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Aside from undercutting him (always a good option tbh), even Bowen at his best would probably not be able to contain KD in today's NBA.

daslicer
03-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Best idea of how Bowen would do against Durant is to look at how he did against Dirk. Granted they play different positions Dirk and Durant but both are very tall and are great shooters. I remember whenever Bowen would guard Dirk he would get scorched just because Dirk would use his height to shoot over him. I have a feeling the same thing would happen with Durant.

hater
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Bowen would have already been banned for life in the NBA of the last 3-4 years

Gospursel
03-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm convinced s-jax is our best option on Durant when the playoffs come and he is really tearing us up. I know Leonard will do most of the defense on him and I imagine that for a few minutes we'll see a small ball scenario that accomodates both of our small fowards. I just think S-jax can acutally shut down durant for short streches and Leonard can only hope to slow him down. Jackson fouls durant more frequently too - so that may keep him from guarding Durant. I don't think Jackson is an overall better defender - but when he dials in he can shut people like Dirk and Durant down because of his combination of length, strength, experience, and grit.

cd98
03-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Couple points:

1. Hard to know as Durrant was not at his prime and Bowen was dipping below his.

2. Durrant is better than Dirk because not only does he have length and shooting ability, but he has the quickness to get to the rim. Dirk always relied on hitting shots over defenders, but Durrant can shoot over them or go around them.

3. If we are going to speculate, Bowen would lose the physical battle...Durrant is too tall and too good a shooter, but Bruce could win the mind game...rough him up a la Ray Allen and Vince Carter. While Durrant seems superior in his physical skills, he still seems to be a little weak mentally. At least in my view. He'll probably overcome that in a year or two when he will be unstoppable. Kind of like Lebron was before winning a title.

Darius McCrary
03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Who cares? He owned Lebron and that's all that matters.

sananspursfan21
03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Aside from undercutting him (always a good option tbh), even Bowen at his best would probably not be able to contain KD in today's NBA.

Well bowens annoyance factor would play into guarding Durants game. Bowens not tall or long enough to truly contest his shots but him pestering would slow Durants game. Kd would likely score 20-25 pts just much less efficiently. It would be no different than other players he was able to slow down (see dirk nowitzki)

Man In Black
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't know, I watched live how well Bowen defender LBJ when he was ALL-NBA with Cleveland and while I agree that LBJ's game has improved, Bruce being able to limit LBJ was one of a few keys that helped the Spurs win that last title in 2007.
If Kawhi can get just a little bit more NASTY, then he's broken through to another level.

Proxy
03-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Why do you say that? He contained Dirk and Lebron as good as anyone can without sending them to the line. He'd make a difference.

emanueldavidginobili
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Why do you say that? He contained Dirk and Lebron as good as anyone can without sending them to the line. He'd make a difference.

Because Durant is quick as shit long as shit is pushing 6'11 and has one of the purest shots out. And he is not even compared to LeBron and Dirk in versatility scoring wise

Proxy
03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Because Durant is quick as shit long as shit is pushing 6'11 and has one of the purest shots out. And he is not even compared to LeBron and Dirk in versatility scoring wise

I disagree. Durant is a future hall of famer and second best player in the nba right now, and you've found a way to overrate him by claiming Lebron James' and Dirk Nowitzki's versatility doesn't compare to his own. Both of those guys are much more physical than Durant.

If Bowen could find a way to make it hard on Dirk with his height advantage, Lebron with his athleticism, and Kobe with his versatility, then it seems silly to think he couldn't guard Durant in similar fashion.

emanueldavidginobili
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
I disagree. Durant is a future hall of famer and second best player in the nba right now, and you've found a way to overrate him by claiming Lebron James' and Dirk Nowitzki's versatility doesn't compare to his own. Both of those guys are much more physical than Durant.

If Bowen could find a way to make it hard on Dirk with his height advantage, Lebron with his athleticism, and Kobe with his versatility, then it seems silly to think he couldn't guard Durant in similar fashion.

Yeah I agree with you but at the same time KD is faster and has just as good as shot as Dirk...Has a better shot than LBJ and is taller, and has a better shot than KB and is taller, KD is just the total package IMO

therealtruth
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM

He contained Dirk so well that we lost in '06.

LarryDavid
03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
What inspired the question OP?

Prime Time
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
What inspired the question OP?

I was just watching some KD highlights and wondered how a prime Bowen would do on him. Obviously there's no way of figuring out, So I was asking if anyone remembers how old man Bowen did on baby KD lol. I don't think anyone remembers though, hah.

Proxy
03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
:rolleyes

Sean Cagney
03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Thats not the reason we lost, Dirk had his games yes but the small ball crap is what lost it IMO! That and some iffy iffy calls in a few games played a role. Bowen BLOCKED Dirk to win that one game I remember, he came from behind and blocked his would be game winning shot to keep us alive in that series. Bowen rotated onto him and did rather well quite a few times, but other times Dirks shot is so sweet it is going to go in regardless of coverage.