PDA

View Full Version : Swift to the Rockets?

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:06 AM
July 7, 2005, 12:28AM

Rockets appeal to Swift
Forward believes he'd be a nice fit if price is right
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

For a while, Stromile Swift offered every sentiment the Rockets would have hoped he held, complete with several declarations that "I hope everything works out."

ADVERTISEMENT
He spoke of the Rockets' strengths and his own. He talked about his admiration for Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming and mentioned his childhood hero, Hakeem Olajuwon.

Then he came to the bottom line, and that was, as the Rockets feared, the bottom line.

Swift, a free-agent power forward who arrived in Houston on Wednesday for meetings with Rockets officials today, sounded interested in jumping to the Rockets. But with the Rockets over the salary cap and unable to offer more than the mid-level exception — which is expected to start at about $5 million for the first season of a contract — Swift said he would have to consider the difference in his asking price and the Rockets' projected offer.

"A lot of times people say the dollars aren't important, but they really are," Swift said. "For me, I'm going to try to wait it out and weigh my options and see what's the best situation for me."

Swift, 25, said his goal was to find "a city where I'm comfortable and happy, get a long with the players and come to a winning situation."

"Just looking from the outside, I can see the chemistry. They have a good team, a good coaching staff," he said. "For me, I think that's something I want to be a part of, a winning team, and hopefully I can come in and add on to what they built here and try to help them try to bring home a championship.

"It would be a great opportunity for me to come in and play with guys of that caliber and just learn on the way while having fun."

Swift has met with New York Knicks officials, but he would not identify other teams he is considering.

The Rockets also have been in discussions with Swift's agent, Andy Miller, about forward Donyell Marshall, and with Mark Bartelstein, the agent for forwards Bobby Simmons and Antoine Walker. All are unrestricted free agents, but all expected to receive offers greater than the mid-level exception.

Bartelstein said Wednesday he had not scheduled a meeting with Rockets officials for either Simmons or Walker. As with their pursuit of Swift, however, the Rockets could seek a sign-and-trade deal with players' previous teams that would allow them to pay more than the mid-level exception.

Bartelstein said it was too early to have gotten into those discussions. But speaking of Walker, he said, "(Boston Celtics general manager) Danny Ainge knows Antoine's value. He has been willing to work with us before."

But today, the Rockets focus will be on Swift, 25, who has averaged nine points and five rebounds as a five-year veteran with the Memphis Grizzlies. He could bring the athleticism the Rockets would like to add to their frontcourt.

"I'll bring athleticism, shot-blocking, just getting out on the fast break and running the floor," Swift said. "I think that will help the team out a lot."

Houston would offer Swift a NBA city in relatively close proximity to his home in Shreveport, La.

"I think Houston is probably a much better city than (Memphis)," Swift said. "Hopefully everything works out. ... I'm just enjoying the process and hopefully it will be over soon."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hell, if he might sign for the midlevel exception, WTF is Pop not trying to get this guy?

TheTruth
07-07-2005, 09:08 AM
he won't sign for the MLE.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
he won't sign for the MLE.

then why all the energy wasted going to visit Houston?

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:11 AM
If he goes to SA, he will get 5 million, he will not have to try to beat the Spurs, and he will be almost guarenteed 2-3 rings in the next few years.....what is not to love about those positives?

TheTruth
Why not? He'll visit every team that wants him to, gives him leverage. Someone is going to throw too much money at him.

TheTruth
"A lot of times people say the dollars aren't important, but they really are," Swift said. "For me, I'm going to try to wait it out and weigh my options and see what's the best situation for me."
Those are his own words. He'll go to the highest bidder.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:12 AM
"For me, I think that's something I want to be a part of, a winning team, and hopefully I can come in and add on to what they built here and try to help them try to bring home a championship."

"Swift has met with New York Knicks officials"

:lmao Then why is he checking out the Knicks?

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Why not? He'll visit every team that wants him to, gives him leverage. Someone is going to throw too much money at him.

The Rockets can not give him more than 5 million, so he is not getting any leverage from that offer. Memphis can just offer 6 million and a cup of coffee and they will top Houston's only offer possibility.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:13 AM
"For me, I think that's something I want to be a part of, a winning team, and hopefully I can come in and add on to what they built here and try to help them try to bring home a championship."

:lol

I was going to post the same quote and ask the same question, 1Parker1, you beat me to it. :smokin

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:14 AM
"A lot of times people say the dollars aren't important, but they really are," Swift said.

:rolleyes I will gladly take $5million. If he was smart, he'd know that he could invest a portion of that money and let it build up interest while he's playing pro. $5million is LOT of money...plus he'd have a good chance for getting an NBA ring. I guess dollars>>>>NBA ring for him.

Gummi
07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
I'd rather have Scola then him. I couldn't stand his stupid signal for a season.

1Parker1
:lol

I was going to post the same quote and ask the same question, 1Parker1, you beat me to it. :smokin

:lol Great minds think alike........

TheTruth
The Rockets can not give him more than 5 million, so he is not getting any leverage from that offer. Memphis can just offer 6 million and a cup of coffee and they will top Houston's only offer possibility.
So when he goes to the next team he'll show them the rockets MLE offer and tell them that is where the bidding starts.

TheTruth
07-07-2005, 09:17 AM

:lmao

Extra Stout
The Rockets can not give him more than 5 million, so he is not getting any leverage from that offer. Memphis can just offer 6 million and a cup of coffee and they will top Houston's only offer possibility.All the Grizzlies are offering Swift is a map showing him how to get out of town on I-40.

ChumpDumper
The Rockets can not give him more than 5 million, so he is not getting any leverage from that offer.They could give Memphis Spoon and a pick. That way Swift's deal could start at over $8 million.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:18 AM
"A lot of times people say the dollars aren't important, but they really are," Swift said.

:rolleyes I will gladly take $5million. If he was smart, he'd know that he could invest a portion of that money and let it build up interest while he's playing pro. $5million is LOT of money...plus he'd have a good chance for getting an NBA ring. I guess dollars>>>>NBA ring for him.

It is all ego, players do not want it known that they are earning only 5 million when others of less talent earn 6-7 million, even thought there is no way that he could ever spend the 5 million in the first place.

He is young and championships are not as important to the young ones because they figure they can get one later in life like Massenburg and Big Dog did....but ask Malone and Sir Charles if that plan always works out.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:19 AM
They could give Memphis Spoon and a pick. That way Swift's deal could start at over $8 million.

Spoon??? I'd rather have the cup of Starbucks.

:)

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
They could give Memphis Spoon and a pick. That way Swift's deal could start at over $8 million.I'm not sure Memphis is really interested in a S&T deal for Swift. They don't need an undersized PF who'll do nothing but mess up their payroll plans, and Houston's pick is not that appealing since the Rockets likely will win 50 games a year for the rest of the decade.

The Grizz basically want to cut ties with Swift and move on.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Spoon??? I'd rather have the cup of Starbucks.Just an example. they have a couple of other expiring deals and could give the Grizz some cash as well to offset whatever they take back.

And you can always look for a third team to get involved.

TheTruth
07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Spoon??? I'd rather have the cup of Starbucks.

:)
:lmao

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Just an example. they have a couple of other expiring deals and could give the Grizz some cash as well to offset whatever they take back.

And you can always look for a third team to get involved.

I agree with you, it is that if it were me, I would go to SA for the 5 million and become famous while winning championships every year.

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Just an example. they have a couple of other expiring deals and could give the Grizz some cash as well to offset whatever they take back.

And you can always look for a third team to get involved.Expiring contracts are useful in a trade for a player who has several years remaining on his contract, not in a sign-and-trade for a free agent. If the Grizz just let him walk, they get the payroll relief now.

Somebody would really have to make it worth Memphis's while to do a deal for Swift.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:26 AM
What did Swift average last season anyways?

ChumpDumper
07-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Young players generally don't give a shit about rings, relatively speaking. It's about the ducats.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
If the Grizz just let him walk, they get the payroll relief now.And have nothing to show for it. You really think West and the FO is content with nothing to show for a former #3 that alot of teams want?

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I agree with you, it is that if it were me, I would go to SA for the 5 million and become famous while winning championships every year.I don't think the Spurs want to touch Swift with a ten-foot pole. He doesn't fit into anything they are trying to do.

If the Rockets get Swift, at best they might get a more motivated version of Kelvin Cato. But that's based upon hope, not upon the character traits of Stromile Swift. There's a reason Jerry West is so eager for him to leave.

Carroll Dawson has been burned too often by bad contracts to offer $8 million a year to Stromile Swift. He's taking a poor risk out of desperation to offer him the MLE, much less $8 mil a year.

Jimcs50
What did Swift average last season anyways?

10 pts and 4.6 rebs in limited minutes

ChumpDumper
What did Swift average last season anyways?Not enough to justify what he wants.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Not enough to justify what he wants.

10 pts on 8 shot attempts is not too shabby....better than most.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:33 AM
10 pts on 8 shot attempts is not too shabby....better than most.

:rolleyes Yea, but 5-6 million sounds about right for that....

ChumpDumper
07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Was he injured during the playoffs? Seems he missed an opportunity to impress in a series custom made for his skills.

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
And have nothing to show for it. You really think West and the FO is content with nothing to show for a former #3 that alot of teams want?YES.

Jerry West has done far too much in the NBA to have to cover for draft mistakes in order to stroke his own ego.

If some team wants him bad enough to hand Memphis some assets, then they'll gladly accept them. But Memphis is NOT going to take back a dead-weight contract just to get "something."

A lot of teams want Stromile Swift because a lot of GM's are less than one-third as intelligent as Jerry West is.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
:rolleyes Yea, but 5-6 million sounds about right for that....

extrapolate that 10 pts in 21 mins to a starter's minutes and he would be a 17pt scorer with a good FG %....

There are a lot of players in the NBA who make more than 5 million without that kind of production.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
extrapolate that 10 pts in 21 mins to a starter's minutes and he would be a 17pt scorer with a good FG %....

There are a lot of players in the NBA who make more than 5 million without that kind of production.

Who's to say he would be that productive in extensive minutes? It's not like he's a proven 17ppg game player...

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:38 AM
10 pts on 8 shot attempts is not too shabby....better than most.You're just looking at stats. Swift's entire offensive arsenal is dunks and putbacks. He's as raw as he was the day he came out of LSU.

With Swift, you get pretty good energy and athleticism. His athleticism covers for his lack of basketball skills. He rebounds well, he's strong around the rim, and he gets some blocks even though his defensive instincts aren't that great.

On offense, he gives you nothing except dunks and putbacks. Put him on the Rockets, and teams can double down on Yao with impunity because Swift is no threat even if left open 8 feet from the hoop.

Motivation could be an issue with Swift once he gets paid. He's not exactly reknowned for his work ethic -- he hasn't improved noticeably since his second year in the league. If the Rockets overpay him, it could be Kelvin Cato all over again.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Was he injured during the playoffs? Seems he missed an opportunity to impress in a series custom made for his skills.

He only played 48 total mins and did not play in game 2 because of an injury...he really did not do much of anything in the playoffs.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Who's to say he would be that productive in extensive minutes? It's not like he's a proven 17ppg game player...

He would not get any more mins in SA, but he can develope into a Pop type of player and in the meantime, he can play solid D, be the shot blocking presense in the paint and rebound in the few mins that he can play.

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:42 AM
He would not get any more mins in SA, but he can develope into a Pop type of player and in the meantime, he can play solid D, be the shot blocking presense in the paint and rebound in the few mins that he can play.Clearly you've never watched him play.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I am just trowing his name out there, I am not advocating that we get him, but I think he has potential. I would rather have Jefferson or Antoine Wright.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:43 AM
He would not get any more mins in SA, but he can develope into a Pop type of player and in the meantime, he can play solid D, be the shot blocking presense in the paint and rebound in the few mins that he can play.

:lol Oh I didn't realize you were talking about him being a Spur. I was thinking him as a Rocket.......

TheTruth
07-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Jerry West has done far too much in the NBA to have to cover for draft mistakes in order to stroke his own ego.
wasn't even his draft mistake. he was drafte before west got there.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Clearly you've never watched him play.

I have seen his defense and it is good...

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I am just trowing his name out there, I am not advocating that we get him, but I think he has potential. I would rather have Jefferson or Antoine Wright.In physics, potential is unrealized work.

That's an apt definition in the case of Swift.

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I have seen his defense and it is good...
And yet despite his good defense, he can't get more than 20 minutes a game on the floor, and Memphis is eager to jettison him in favor of Brian Cardinal.

His defense is based upon athleticism, not fundamentals.

Houston is interested in him for his rebounding, since their frontline is soft despite having a 7'5" center who's allegedly supposed to be some kind of superstar.

There's some offensive rebounding in there, too. He gets a lot of his points that way.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
His defense is based upon athleticism, not fundamentals.

If Pop can get Big Dog to play fundamental D, don't you think Swift can learn?

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 10:03 AM
If Pop can get Big Dog to play fundamental D, don't you think Swift can learn?Big Dog was willing to try -- after all, if he didn't do as Pop asked, the Spurs could just send him back home.

It's a whole different ballgame when you have a youngster that has a brand-new huge guaranteed contract. If he wants to dog it, he still gets paaiiiiiiid.

What you have in Swift is a guy that has not worked to improve his game in a long time. The Spurs don't look for players like that.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
What you have in Swift is a guy that has not worked to improve his game in a long time. The Spurs don't look for players like that.

Well, you obviously know Swift more than anyone else, so I will drop the subject.

I still want Jefferson or Antoine.

Jules Winnfield
07-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Memphis can just offer 6 million and a cup of coffee and they will top Houston's only offer possibility.

Mmmm! Goddamn, Jerry West! This is some serious gourmet shit! Usually, me and Swift would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice, but he springs this serious GOURMET shit on us! What flavor is this?

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 06:54 PM
NBA Live 2001 Stromile Swift 59 overall (stats).