PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit

ashbeeigh
03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I have been going to a crossfit gym for bootcamp in the morning. I am always the first person places so I catch the last like 10 minutes of the official Crossfit work outs and have been kind of intrigued by it. I know that I would need the intro class and everything but have seen some girls kill it during the time I am there (granted I don't know their backgrounds and could be like Olympic athletes that I don't know about).

Have any of y'all done it? Stuck it out? How was it? One of my main concerns is the cost. Like $1600 for a whole year? I spend $240 plus clothing/shoes right now. That's a big difference. I understand the training and trainer aspect to it but geez. That's a lot. How do you justify spending that much?

I. Hustle
03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Do your juggs get in the way? If so, can I watch?

jag
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Pros:
1) crossfit gets you into very good shape if you stick with it
2) they put a good deal of emphasis on diet/nutrition, which is sometimes lacking in a lot of workout programs.

Cons:
1) it's like a cult and the people who do it sound borderline brainwashed. It's strange
2) the people that do crossfit thinks it's the most innovative thing to ever take place in a gym. They don't realize interval/circuit training has been around for as long as gyms have existed
3) they don't realize accelerated circuit training (with relatively heavy weights) can promote really bad form and injuries.
4) trying to do a deadlift as fast as you can, before moving on to the next lift, is an example of the retardation I described in (3)
5) they charge crazy prices because they've convinced people it's based on new and innovative technology and is the only way to get them into "best athletes in the world" type of shape. I had someone tell me this ("best athletes in the world are crossfit athletes")
6) you can get similar results without dropping that kind of money by knowing what kind of workouts to do and educating yourself on some nutrition basics

Aside from the weirdness and the cost, it's solid and you'll see results depending on what your goals are. It'll increase your core strength and get your heart and lungs in very good shape. It's not really designed to build a lot of muscle though, so guys (like Pego) who really need to put on mass, shouldn't do it expecting to get swole up. I more or less think of it as something for women, or men who run marathons or do cross-country cycling.

mrsmaalox
03-27-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm much too wimpy for such a thing.

ashbeeigh
03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I kind of feel the same way _JaG. Like all the things I see them do I have seen people at Planet Fitness do. I like the fact that you're doing it with other people. I'm such a quiet person that it just makes me feel like a team without talking too much. And I hear them talking about the Paleo diet a lot. Fuck that, I need my tortillas.

I'm much too wimpy for such a thing.

:lol That's kind of how I feel right now.

leemajors
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Just the name Paleo diet is hilarious, like anyone then would not eat absolutely anything that would not make them sick.

FkLA
03-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Dont they do like rolls or cartwheels on the ground with weights or some weird stuff like that?

IronMexican
03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Do it

benefactor
03-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Jag summed it up pretty well. My gym is Crossfit certified and my cousin does it too. They do tend to give you that "their way is the best way" attitude.

Besides the cost, I worry about my knees and my back so its just not for me. I hated jumping boxes and doing burpees(in football two a days we called them up downs) too, so I sure as hell am not going to do them willingly now. I think it's good for those that are looking for a workout change up or people that really need forced structure and want to get in really good shape. My gym does a free workout on Saturdays for those who are looking into trying it or those that want to do something different during the week.

jag
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Just the name Paleo diet is hilarious,

Yeah the whole paleo diet thing is becoming very trendy and like every other "diet" it's not something many people will be able to stick to. Unlike other diets though, the concepts used in "paleo" type diets are basically as simple as it gets. There aren't any gimmicks to it. It's more or less about nutrition guidelines for people who genuinely want to be healthy and not cut corners. I can respect that.

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
you start crossfit there are only 2 outcomes, get fit or get injured

CavsSuperFan
03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
you start crossfit there are only 2 outcomes, get fit or get injured

Like Nike says “Just Do IT!”
When I first started my Hot Yoga class I was really struggling…Now its like, “I got this pose, I totally own it”

mrsmaalox
03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Like Nike says “Just Do IT!”
When I first started my Hot Yoga class I was really struggling…Now its like, “I got this pose, I totally own it”

Downward dog?

CavsSuperFan
03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Downward dog? Pffft…Beginner stuff…I am talking advance class…Things like Peacock Pose...

Did you hear about the lady who was asked to perform downward dog to prove her Lululemon sheer black yoga pants were too sheer….:lol

http://www.theledger.com/article/20130327/news/130329295&tc=yahoo

phxspurfan
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Lululemon sheer black yoga pants

:wakeup

Drachen
03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Downward dog? Pffft…Beginner stuff…I am talking advance class…Things like Peacock Pose...

Did you hear about the lady who was asked to perform downward dog to prove her Lululemon sheer black yoga pants were too sheer….:lol

Loser story without pics.

spursncowboys
03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
I have been going to a crossfit gym for bootcamp in the morning. I am always the first person places so I catch the last like 10 minutes of the official Crossfit work outs and have been kind of intrigued by it. I know that I would need the intro class and everything but have seen some girls kill it during the time I am there (granted I don't know their backgrounds and could be like Olympic athletes that I don't know about).

Have any of y'all done it? Stuck it out? How was it? One of my main concerns is the cost. Like $1600 for a whole year? I spend $240 plus clothing/shoes right now. That's a big difference. I understand the training and trainer aspect to it but geez. That's a lot. How do you justify spending that much?

Good job. greatest type of workout. What is the name of the gym?

ashbeeigh
03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Good job. greatest type of workout. What is the name of the gym?

210 Crossfit.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I was doing it last year for a few months and let me tell you, it's a workout. The reason I stopped going was because I had surgery on my right foot (had nothing to do with crossfit) and my doctor advised me to lay off for a few months. Trainwreck2100 said it best, you either get in shape or you get injured. The important thing to remember is to concentrate on form and don't worry about how many rounds you can do. Form is key. I think that is why people get injured when doing the WOD. They get competitive and lose proper form. It's also important to feel comfortable with the weight you're lifting. Some gyms (trainers) push you too hard and push you to lift what you aren't comfortable with, so be careful. _Jag your spot on the cult thing :lmao

ashbeeigh
03-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Today's WOD looked like it had to be done with proper form. It looked tough, but everything they do is tough. I don't think I'm going to move forward with trying it, at least for now. I'll stick with my running and cross training.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Crossfit is great and all but there are other ways of getting and staying fit. And as so many have commented, high intensive interval training is a great tool for weight loss and cardio, if you decide not to do crossfit.

ashbeeigh
03-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Crossfit is great and all but there are other ways of getting and staying fit. And as so many have commented, high intensive interval training is a great tool for weight loss and cardio, if you decide not to do crossfit.

And I already do that. I need to stick to a good diet. That's my problem. I have more cheat days than not cheat days lately. I'm still stuck close to where I was two years ago And not with the paleo diet. :)

Blake
03-29-2013, 02:09 PM
$1600 a year?

Rip off.

Axe Murderer
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
5) they charge crazy prices because they've convinced people it's based on new and innovative technology and is the only way to get them into "best athletes in the world" type of shape. I had someone tell me this ("best athletes in the world are crossfit athletes")
6) you can get similar results without dropping that kind of money by knowing what kind of workouts to do and educating yourself on some nutrition basics

This. There are no real secrets to getting in good shape. If you just eat right and get off your ass and exercise, you'll be fine. I've been in good shape pretty much all my life by just doing those two things so I :lol everytime these new workouts come out.

These kinds of things have been around for years if people will just take the time to look into it and do it.

spursncowboys
03-30-2013, 11:17 AM
No crossfit is different in that it does multiple muscles for every workout. It also builds your core which keeps you from getting injured. Dr Maffetone has a great book titled Maffetone Method which is all about how to build up towards running healthy. Most injuries come from running. So the idea that running will keep you in good shape is wrong. The diet I agree with. It is probably 90 percent of it. But if you want to be healthy over anything else then crossfit is your best bet. Just start off slow. Do the lowest weights possible and focus on form. Once your body gets used to doing the exercise correctly with muscle memory, then focus on adding weight. In the maffetone method and crossfit, the main focus is taking your time. It could take half a year just learining to do it right. But it is the best thing for your body and health.

apalisoc_9
03-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Wow spending more than 900 Dollars on gym membership is overkill. I don't even understand how people jusitfy hiring PT.. and 1600? Yuck

The ones that perfectly fit are always the ones that do it themselves..enough of this PT BS..what a rip off.

jag
03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
No crossfit is different in that it does multiple muscles for every workout

you think this is a new concept?

Preaching the benefits of "randomness" to promote "muscle confusion" is silly. You know what "confuses" your muscles? Adding more weight.

spursncowboys
03-31-2013, 09:33 PM
you think this is a new concept?

Preaching the benefits of "randomness" to promote "muscle confusion" is silly. You know what "confuses" your muscles? Adding more weight.
adding more weight. more reps. less/more rest period. Point I was making is that crossfit focuses on core. You're simplifying my post and wrongfully too.

ColinB
04-01-2013, 02:38 AM
Crossfit and the culture surrounding it is embarrassing.

http://www.miscupload.com/upload/201908178327439749132927.gif

I. Hustle
04-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I took a picture of you trying it out.
http://i48.tinypic.com/ort75v.png

Spur|n|Austin
04-01-2013, 09:11 AM
How can you find out if someone does Crossfit?

They'll tell you, many times.

ashbeeigh
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I took a picture of you trying it out.
http://i48.tinypic.com/ort75v.png

I'm sure that would be quite accurate it I did try it.

I. Hustle
04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm sure that would be quite accurate it I did try it.

Your juggs would have been all over that bar though.

Why would anyone want to do that stuff? I mean I understand trying to get fit and in shape but people have been losing weight and getting in shape for years without doing crap like that.

Blake
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
How can you find out if someone does Crossfit?

They'll tell you, many times.

They need a cross fit window sticker to go next to their 13.1/26.2 stickers.

Spur|n|Austin
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
They need a cross fit window sticker to go next to their 13.1/26.2 stickers.

Along with one of these:

http://blog.timesunion.com/parenting/files/2010/06/stickers.jpg

ashbeeigh
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Your juggs would have been all over that bar though.

Why would anyone want to do that stuff? I mean I understand trying to get fit and in shape but people have been losing weight and getting in shape for years without doing crap like that.

I feel like they do it to say they can, like Spur n Austin said, you know they do Cross Fit because they tell you they do. And it's a lot of former athletes and gymnasts that do it. Like how the hell does a normal person use the rings?

Along with one of these:

http://blog.timesunion.com/parenting/files/2010/06/stickers.jpg

And it has to be a range rover because you gotta be able to pay the $1600/yr for the program.

benefactor
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
If you have a gym membership and want to lose weight and build muscle just put together a basic weight circuit that works all the muscle groups and either run on a treadmill or do something like a Spin class if your joints can't handle the running. As someone that has dealt with knee issues, I highly recommend Spin for cardio. You can burn a ton of calories in a short amount of time and almost anyone can do it.

jag
04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
adding more weight. more reps. less/more rest period. Point I was making is that crossfit focuses on core. You're simplifying my post and wrongfully too.

The point you were making was that crossfit is "different" because it "does multiple muscles for every workout."

You know what else "does" multiple muscles for every workout? Every workout

I'm aware that crossfit is designed to focus on your core strength while also strengthening your hearth muscle and increasing lung capacity. I said that in my first post ITT.

It'll increase your core strength and get your heart and lungs in very good shape.

I actually agree with you on what Crossfit is designed to do. HOWEVA, I don't agree with your silly statements about how Crossfit is fundamentally different from other workouts, or how "most injuries come from running." That last statement, in a vacuum, is absurd. If you're trying to suggest that running is more dangerous than crossfit, then you're the type of brainwashed crossfitter I alluded to earlier in the thread.

Ricky Davis
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Crossfit. Am I doing it right?

http://vagabondcrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bainge.jpg

ColinB
04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
No.

http://i.imgur.com/Kqctx.gif