PDA

View Full Version : *** Official 2013 Indianapolis Colts Thread sponsored by Nobody ***

J.T.
03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
In 2013, the Colts embark on the truly difficult task of surpassing their magical 2012 season in which they made the playoffs with a really shitty roster on defense and a bunch of rooks on offense (honorable mention to Grandpa Wayne). Here is their roster turnover following free agency:

Departures:

Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians
QB Drew Stanton
OT Winston Justice
WR Donnie Avery
WR Austin Collie
OLB/DE Dwight Freeney
DT Antonio Johnson
LB Moise Fokou
CB Jerraud Powers
S Tom Zbikowski

Of the departures, Freeney will probably be missed the most although he wasn't a good fit for Pagano's 3-4 hybrid scheme. Dude did command a double team which will be surely missed, but the Colts still have Mathis and will probably look to add another pass rushing element to their defense via the 2013 draft. Stanton and Powers followed Bruce Arians to Arizona, but Powers ended each of the last three seasons on IR. He was good when he played, but he didn't do a whole lot of that. Antonio Johnson always gives 100% but the Colts have added a lot of younger pieces to the D-line in free agency making him expendable. Avery had a good year with the Colts but also led the league in drops. Overall, Freeney is the biggest loss here and you can't exactly replace a sure thing HOF'er overnight but I trust Grigson has a plan with the draft.

Additions:

Offensive Coordinator Pep Hamilton
QB Matt Hasselbeck
OT Gosder Cherilus
OG Donald Thomas
DT Fili Moala (re-signed)
DT Aubrayo Franklin
DT/DE Ricky Jean Francois
DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury
LB Erik Walden
CB Greg Toler
CB Darius Butler (re-signed)
CB Cassius Vaughn (re-signed)
S LaRon Landry

Indy did a real good job mitigating their losses and actually improving the team in needed areas. The offensive line was my biggest area of need following last season as Luck was sacked over 40 times and avoided Lord knows how many more sacks with his athleticism and by sheer magic sometimes. Cherilus not only stayed healthy but gave up little pressure from the right side and with Costanzo showing improvement every year, the Colts look to have two pretty legit tackles for the first time in a while. Donald Thomas was a backup with the Patriots, but DoK seemed to suggest he was decent while filling in for injured starters last year. A lot of league personnel guys really like the Greg Toler signing. He figures to start opposite Vontae Davis, and with Darius Butler being re-signed the Colts have a pretty good nickle configuration for the first time in years. They gave a little bit too much money to Erik Walden and Ricky Jean Francois, but I think these guys are talented and just don't have a lot of stats accumulated because they were behind names such as Justin Smith and Clay Matthews on their respective depth charts. Still feels like gambling on an unknown a little bit, but there is potential for upside. Hasselbeck is a huge improvement over Stanton at backup QB, although I sincerely hope I never have to see him attempt a pass for us. Vaughn, Sidbury and Franklin are great depth signings and Landry gives the Colts their best player at safety since Bob Sanders. He has had problems with injuries, but I think a lot of that was due to the shitty field in D.C. and not necessarily because he's injury prone. He started every game last year with the Jets. Overall, the Colts had a lot of money to spend and spent it wisely by adding a ton of depth to their team rather than shelling out the big bucks for the top FA's available. Defense actually looks promising, although they need to add another pass rushing element in the draft.

What's next?

The Colts have been negotiating with Darrius Heyward-Bey, formerly of the Oakland Raiders and one of Al Davis's last first round reaches. He has like a career 15 yards per catch which is pretty good considering the QBs he has had. With Luck and Indy's young and improving offense, he could be a good fit. He left Indy without a deal to go visit the Lions, but has not signed yet. If the Colts add him, their 2013 FA class is insanely good for the amount of money they had to spend.

As far as the draft goes, the Colts have a few areas of need remaining. Obviously DHB would offset the loss of Donnie Avery (I actually see DHB as an upgrade considering Avery's league-leading drops) but Reggie Wayne is 35 this year I do believe. His replacement needs to be drafted to being the grooming process. Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins may fall to the Colts at #24 in which case Grigson needs to pull the trigger. I don't recommend they try to trade up considering they gave their 2nd rounder this year to Miami in the Vontae Davis trade last year. But Davis's play improved dramatically toward the end of the year when he recovered from his injuries including the playoff game in which Joe Flacco did not target any WR covered by Davis in the 2nd half. Also had 2 picks in the season finale against Houston. The Colts also need a pass rusher and perhaps another RB as Donald Brown continues to not live up to his first round draft status.

Overall there is a lot of pressure on the Colts to win the division this year considering the 11-5 record last year. The Colts are transitioning from the Bruce Arians "bomb it downfield" offense into Pep Hamilton's West Coast scheme which Luck played in at Stanford. Look for Luck's completion percentage to go up, interceptions and attempts to go down. Passing yards is probably still a lock for around 4,000. I'm expecting big things from the Colts defense this year. If they can stay healthy, they should be much improved from last season.

My prediction: 10-6, Wild Card berth* (schedule is rough, complete with Peyton returning to Indy. Probably gonna go to that game).

* This is dependent on Houston having another injury free year which is rare and unlikely. If Houston falters at all, Indy takes the division.

AaronY
03-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Big Colts fan, huh?

J.T.
03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Big Colts fan, huh?

Yep. Waiting on schedule to be released so I can buy tickets to the Colts vs Broncos game in Indy this year. Wouldn't miss that for a night with Katy Perry.

Actually nah I'd miss it for that. Can't pass on a chance to be eskimo brothers with John Mayer.

Creepn
04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Fuck your Colts.

J.T.
04-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey signed by Indy. One year, $3 million, 1.5M guaranteed. Not bad considering some of the other contracts they gave out.

Blizzardwizard
04-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Um...Colts..... I think they'll do well to replicate the last year tbh. Don't think they'll be serious contenders, although I'd like them to be....That and Andrew Luck was at a San Jose Sharks game today, that's all I've got.

Avante
04-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Do you really believe anyone actually read all that shit? Tell me J.T. just how many Colt fans are here.

I'm only posting here to show you just how lame it is to enter threads to bitch. You got 6 now and half are yours replies here so what's that tell ya guy?

Be cool guy, ok? Don't go around telling me shit if this crap thread is the best you can do, got it....good!

Trainwreck2100
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM
solid thread JT way to not be a dumbshit like certain people here

Avante
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
solid thread JT way to not be a dumbshit like certain people here

As if you read it, hahaha!!!!!!

J.T.
04-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Someone told me this once.

Dude it's the off season, you got anything to talk about or is all you can do is act like a little punk? All you ever do is wimper around like a little bitch. Ya don't like the topic then don't enter the thread, ya reckon?

Real funny how he doesn't follow his own advice.

J.T.
04-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Look dude, I don't give a damn (obviously) what you or anyone else here wants, simply don't read me because no way in hell am I gonna come down to you/their level. That should be very obvious by now. Stay simple guy, it looks good on you.

Whoops, look like you couldn't hold up your end of this bargain either.

J.T.
04-15-2013, 07:20 PM
And Avante, you are the absolute last mother fucker on the face of this Earth with the right to lecture anybody about creating threads that no one wants to read, or spamming said threads with your own replies to what others have posted. Dipshit.

Avante
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
And Avante, you are the absolute last mother fucker on the face of this Earth with the right to lecture anybody about creating threads that no one wants to read, or spamming said threads with your own replies to what others have posted. Dipshit.

Dude, I wish everyone here would post threads, I love to talk football. I was just showing you how fucked up it is to have some asshole enter your thread to be a prick. Sucks doesn't it?

Talk about anything ya want, isn't that why we are here?

J.T.
04-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Dude, I wish everyone here would post threads, I love to talk football. I was just showing you how fucked up it is to have some asshole enter your thread to be a prick. Sucks doesn't it?

Talk about anything ya want, isn't that why we are here?

I don't necessarily even have an opinion on whether it sucks or not. It's the internet. Everyone, including myself most of the time, throws their conscience out the window and tries to be the biggest asshole possible because there is absolutely zero fear of having your comments pinned to your real name. I understand that like 2% of forum topics across the entire Internet stay on topic for their complete lifespan and thus it doesn't bother me when one goes off topic, whether it's one created by me or not, or whether I'm the one driving it off topic or not.

dirk4mvp and SanAntonioSpurs23 are Colts fans, they'll use this thread at some point if they have something to say. If not, I'm happy essentially blogging to myself. There are Colts sites I go to and get satisfactory Colts discussion from. I just know that there are some people here who appreciate the entire NFL and do my part to maintain the Colts thread every year. Maybe one of these days I'll be like you and know everything there is to know about the "old school NFL" like how it's a shame Ricky Williams couldn't stop smoking weed, or how Peyton Manning only won the Super Bowl once, or how for all the genius of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick they could never beat Eli and the Giants, or how Andrew Luck won 12 Super Bowls in a row, all against Russell Wilson...and maybe when that time comes some kid will tell me to fuck off because it's so awesome how the new NFL you can't tackle anyone because you might hurt them and any game with under a combined 2,700 passing yards from both quarterbacks couldn't be entertaining at all. Maybe I'll tell that kid they're stupid and not a real fan. At least then it would be true.

Avante
04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
The thing is why all this worry/concern over what an obvious football freak is talking about? Why do I need to do anything? It's on you to read what you want, right? I'd love to have a ton of guys here who knew the game, why limit yourself?

I'm simply not content with just the here and now, I need more than that, but since the here and now is all that can be done here, I;ll cool it.

J.T.
04-15-2013, 11:20 PM
The thing is why all this worry/concern over what an obvious football freak is talking about? Why do I need to do anything? It's on you to read what you want, right? I'd love to have a ton of guys here who knew the game, why limit yourself?

I'm simply not content with just the here and now, I need more than that, but since the here and now is all that can be done here, I;ll cool it.

I don't have a problem with what you choose to talk about, it's when you choose to do it and how you choose to deliver it. Obviously you've put time into knowing a lot about the NFL. We can all see that. But it just reminds me of when I was in college. As soon as I got there I was an idiot and joined a fraternity. Then during pledgeship, each week we had to take quizzes on the history of the fraternity and other bullshit like that. I have always been really good at memorization, so I always got 100% on these tests. After the third week, we were trying to do a group study for the next week's quiz because if any one person failed, we all got hazed. I would always act like I was so cool because I could rattle off all these facts when these other 8 retards couldn't remember enough information for a 10 question quiz each week. They got tired of me acting like that and finally one of the other guys pulled me aside and said, look, we can all see that you know this stuff and you're good at it. Why don't you do something like make a study guide for the guys that are having problems so you can help them out instead of just bragging about how good you are at memorizing stuff?

So I made study guides for the rest of the pledge semester. We didn't fail another test, well except for this one asshole named Cody that we blackballed shortly thereafter because he never showed up to help us do anything, but was always there at the parties to fill his cup with beer and try to bag chicks, but that's beside the point. We still got hazed anyway, so it's ironic in that as much as I memorized everything, we were going to fail the test even if everyone passed. You're already one step ahead of me because you always say you want to help the posters here know more about the NFL. The problem people have with you is that you're doing the same shit I did when I was in the fraternity, with all this "Look at what I know! Here's a list of the fastest player each team has ever had" and cue list with corresponding history lesson.

Make a thread called "NFL 101 with Professor Avante" and posts those lists in there. Maybe link to a thread and say, some post in this thread got me thinking about [whatever you want]. I've seen you contribute meaningful discussion to this NFL board. The problems flare up when you take offense to other people messing with you and give them more of what they clearly don't want. Everyone has their own style of reacting to haters on this site. Mine is badgering you to death with a mixture of satire and pure evil. Maybe yours is lists, I don't know. Try my idea about your own personal thread out and if it doesn't work I'll just drop this whole thing. I can already foresee a couple people will still talk shit to you in there but you have my solemn oath that I won't, at least unwarranted shit like some of the things I've said today. That's all I'm asking. If the NFL forum goes to shit like the basketball forums have, I'll probably quit SpursTalk for good.

Avante
04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
J.T.

It just seems so wrong to let a bunch of guys who do nothing to keep this forum alive ruling things. Here I sit a guy who really can talk about 1920 to the present and I'm the villian. What is wrong with knowing it all?

Ok, fuck it. See ya next football season, then we'll talk.,..right now.

Clipper Nation
04-16-2013, 01:07 AM
J.T.

It just seems so wrong to let a bunch of guys who do nothing to keep this forum alive ruling things. Here I sit a guy who really can talk about 1920 to the present and I'm the villian. What is wrong with knowing it all?

Ok, fuck it. See ya next football season, then we'll talk.,..right now.

I feel ya, but it's the:::

You're a faggot

talkin'.

- Pap

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-19-2013, 06:37 PM
The Colts had a pretty solid offseason. Yeah they overpaid for a few guys (most contracts were front loaded), but they did fill quite a few needs.

If Toler and Landry can stay healthy the Colts secondary could be very good.

J.T.
04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Colts draft was pretty good. Really like the picks of Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes. When the offseason started, the Colts had holes all over the roster. After free agency, they were reduced to basically just needing help with the pass rush and shoring up the offensive line. I think they've done that with this draft. The 2013 season for Indy ultimately hangs on whether the dice rolls made on certain players in free agency pan out. Werner pick is rock solid though. Mitigates the loss of Freeney and prepares for the inevitable retirement of Mathis down the line. Really comforting knowing Andrew Luck ain't gonna be spending nearly as much time running for his life and picking himself up off the ground this year.

2014 offseason absolutely must result in the signing of a young #1 WR, either free agent or draft pick.

DeadlyDynasty
05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
The DHB pick-up is great value. I want to see A LOT more out of Fleener and Allen this year, though--their improvement is crucial to the Colts success imo--and they definitely have the talent.

J.T.
05-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Got banned from the Colts blog I posted at today because I disagreed with the editor. Said some shit like "Yeah, yeah we know it's your blog and you check yourself out in the mirror during sex, doesn't make this manufactured drama you keep bringing up any less false." Logged in today, banned. SpursTalk for president.