PDA

View Full Version : Elliott on staff

spurjur
07-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Is it just me or do any of you wonder why Sean Elliott hasn't joined the Spurs coaching staff. I'm not saying as an assistant or anything. Just as a coach to mentor the younger players on defense.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
That is a very good point....I never thought about it actually. Maybe they are just waiting or maybe he likes being the commentator.

spurjur
07-07-2005, 09:57 AM
He does a great job on TV and on radio, but I see Elliott as a Spur for life. He was great on the defensive end. I honestly think he can contribute by showing someone like Linton Johnson III and Beno how to play "D."

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 10:00 AM
He does a great job on TV and on radio, but I see Elliott as a Spur for life. He was great on the defensive end. I honestly think he can contribute by showing someone like Linton Johnson III and Beno how to play "D."

....or Tony Parker, Brent Barry, and Manu how to throw up miracle 3 pt shots with with less then 30 sec on the clock in a playoff game :)

spurjur
07-07-2005, 10:05 AM
You have a great point. Its a amazing to me how the Spurs were able to replace Sean with Bowen. They are exactly alike except for the fact that Sean could drive to the basket better. However, I do give an edge to Bowen on the defensive side.

angel_luv
07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Sean has to stay as a television radio analysist. In my opinion, he is one of the best around. He can coach in his spare time if he wants. = )

pache100
07-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Sean has to stay as a television radio analysist. In my opinion, he is one of the best around. He can coach in his spare time if he wants. = )

I agree with that. Sean has really come a long way. I remember when he was so shy and timid he did not even want to talk to the media, even the local sports guys, and he knew all of them. He would always defer to David or Avery to talk. I never dreamed he would be so animated as he is now. I swear, one of the funniest things I ever heard was him on the radio at the end of game seven when he was so pissed at the referee who told him to sit down and shut up. "What's he gonna do? Throw me out? He can't say that to me! Can he say that to me?" Fun-nee!

I don't see why he could not be a coach/consultant and still do his color/analysis job, too. But it all depends on what Sean wants, after all. He is spending a lot of time with his wife and kids these days, and that would probably be reduced considerably if he were to take on coaching duties.

I support him whatever he wants to do...I'm a Sean fan for life.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Has anyone ever thought maybe Sean doesn't want to do that?

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM

Come on, Manny, don't be so sensible; everyone knows that all old Spurs are just dying to become assistant coaches.

Sense
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Seeing that he gets mad at referees while commentating, makes me have my doubts about that....

I think he knows he'd be great on helping the team, but "if it ain't broke don't fix it" must be in his mind.

easjer
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM

*covers ears, shakes head* I'm not listening! La la la la! I can't hear you!

What blasphemy. Of course he wants to coach. And scout, and pick up Pop's dry cleaning or whatever old fan favorites do. :lol

In all seriousness, I love him as a broadcaster, he's so much better than many of the folks out there. I hated the way he seemed muzzled and stilted with ABC/ESPN. I like him better when he's openly focusing on the Spurs - he's honest about their faults, but enthusiastic and fun.

DDS4
07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Being on the coaching staff is a big commitment with travel, long hours, and such.

Commentating isn't as demanding.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Seeing that he gets mad at referees while commentating, makes me have my doubts about that....

I think he knows he'd be great on helping the team, but "if it ain't broke don't fix it" must be in his mind.
Maybe he's a fan? No, you're right. Definetly has eyes on coaching.

spurjur
07-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I think Sean is a great TV guy, but I think he would be a great addition to Pop's staff. He is someone who keeps the guys loose, but at the same time demands respect because of the way he played. However, it would pull him away from his family more.

Sense
07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Maybe he's a fan? No, you're right. Definetly has eyes on coaching.

Well, I think you have to be a fan when you stay in SA as a broadcaster...

But don't tell me you don't see it when he's talking about the coaching and overall the Spurs...

I can see it in his eyes... the man wants to be a part of something great...

But like I said, he doesn't want to break any kind of chemistry...even if it is slight..

Those are my thoughts.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Keep Sean where he is. He's done enough for the Spurs already. Besides, if I was on my third kidney I'd probably just want to stay home instead of crisscrossing the country 8 months of the year.

pache100
07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Besides, if I was on my third kidney I'd probably just want to stay home instead of crisscrossing the country 8 months of the year.

Well, he does that anyway. He doesn't go on every road trip (especially the long ones, I noticed), but he does go on a lot of them. For the whole season.

spurjur
07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Elliott is always making comments on the how the Spurs fail to do this and that on the defensive side. I think he has that coaching thing in him. I'd be all for it.

spurschick
07-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Call me selfish, but I want him to stay a commentator so that I have someone entertaining to watch and listen to.

spurjur
07-07-2005, 12:17 PM
True Spurschick, but Elliott might help the team by being able to mentor younger players like Linton J #3 or Beno. I love to hear Elliott on TV and radio. The guy is funny.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2005, 12:19 PM
If Sean wanted a job on the team, he'd have one. I think he's found what he likes doing.