PDA

View Full Version : Might the Spurs be keeping the MLE just in case...

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 10:16 AM
...someone waives a player under the 'one time' luxury tax avoidance rule (there has to be a more succinct name) that they like?

Just a thought, but Jalen Rose and Michael Finley could definitely work in SA.

JUUOT
07-07-2005, 10:26 AM
i would love finley (even if it would meen glenn and brown out. )
but MLE would be enough for him?

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Finley = Nugget, if Dallas waives him.

Jalen Rose is not a good fit unless he decides to give up his minute-demanding, ball-hogging ways and become what Nick Van Exel was to the Mavericks.

ducks
07-07-2005, 10:28 AM
being that the mavs would still pay 51 million to finley why not

midgetonadonkey
07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Finley always disappears in the playoffs. He doesn't need to be on next years roster.

Rick Von Braun
07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Finley = Nugget, if Dallas waives him.

Jalen Rose is not a good fit unless he decides to give up his minute-demanding, ball-hogging ways and become what Nick Van Exel was to the Mavericks. Ditto.

Finley will be a starter, and get more money and minutes from the Nuggets if Dallas waives him. He'll become one of the most experienced players in the roster, with playoff experience. The Nuggs have a hole at SG, and he will fit perfectly in that role. It is a no brainer.

Jalen Rose is a cancer.

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm not completely buying the idea that Jalen Rose is a cancer, and I think he could work out well in San Antonio. He's a guy who is long, can play on the wing, and can create his own shot when necessary. He's also a guy who's getting to the end of the line -- while he was doing his interviews during the Finals, I had the sense that Jalen would love another crack at a title and would do what it takes to realize that opportunity.

And I don't recall anyone saying that Jalen was a cancer when he was a Pacer, playing a huge role in getting that team to the Finals.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm not completely buying the idea that Jalen Rose is a cancer, and I think he could work out well in San Antonio. He's a guy who is long, can play on the wing, and can create his own shot when necessary. He's also a guy who's getting to the end of the line -- while he was doing his interviews during the Finals, I had the sense that Jalen would love another crack at a title and would do what it takes to realize that opportunity.

And I don't recall anyone saying that Jalen was a cancer when he was a Pacer, playing a huge role in getting that team to the Finals.

Agreed. A long 3 with good handles and a good stroke. A younger, and likely more expensive version of what I have in mind with Kukoc. Rose is definitely good enough to be a part of the rotation.

Sense
07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
...someone waives a player under the 'one time' luxury tax avoidance rule (there has to be a more succinct name) that they like?

Just a thought, but Jalen Rose and Michael Finley could definitely work in SA.

Do you really see this many all-stars in one team?
C'mon, and in SA?

You have to get real when it comes to this prediction and possibility talks.. on paper this could be a dream team...

But having 4 to 5 allstars in a team? I can say that can definately break chemistry....plus due to the fact that this is the NBA, I don't even see it as a possibility.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Those guys are past their glory days, but still have some seasons left of solid basketball.

Sense
07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Those guys are past their glory days, but still have some seasons left of solid basketball.

I agree, but we are not a desperate team... we just won a championship, I'm pretty sure we don't need them.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Complacency doesn't win championships. How is this being "desperate"? It's being opportunistic.

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I think it's right to have a concern about just adding names without any concerns for chemistry.

But, I think it's all fair to think that the guys who get released on this tax amnesty program are going to have something of a Glenn Robinson quality, in that they'll be guys who were once All-Stars, but who are now just trying to remind people that they can play and are relevant to the title hunt, while trying to get to that ring that has eluded them. Big Dog came here and did a great job of just fitting in without letting any "I'm an All-Star" issues surface. He mentioned, at several points, that it's really difficult to feel disrespected in San Antonio because Tim is so selfless and the team has such great success.

I suspect you'd see the same type of sentiments (and a willingness to accept a role) from any of the amnesty casualties who might come to SA>

Sense
07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Complacency doesn't win championships. How is this being "desperate"? It's being opportunistic.

Yes, but I think this might change when you bring in someone capable of being a franchise player.

TheTruth
07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Spurs find the right player and they'll use it right now. I don't think they'll wait for the likes of finley or rose.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, they would be told up front what the rules were. If they are still interested, good. There's no reason to just pass on a potentially shrewd acquisition just because "we're fine" today.

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Agreed. A long 3 with good handles and a good stroke. A younger, and likely more expensive version of what I have in mind with Kukoc. Rose is definitely good enough to be a part of the rotation.
Rose is the one guy who could be both the veteran PG the Spurs are looking for and provide help at the 3. He's versatile.

But it would require an attitude adjustment. He hasn't been the most "team-first" kind of player in his career.

Sense
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for someone under the radar that has something to prove, judging by the past... those kinds of players usually work in SA.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for someone under the radar that has something to prove, judging by the past... those kinds of players usually work in SA.

Oddly enough, Kukoc and Rose come to mind. Man, if Finley is pissed by Cuban's move, maybe he comes to SA to torment the Mavs for the remainder of his career...

ducks
07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
spurs added big dog late in the season and nazr and did not cause problems

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, but I think this might change when you bring in someone capable of being a franchise player.

I think the point, though, is that neither of the guys mentioned in this thread are capable of being a franchise player anymore. They're paid like franchise players, but don't play like franchise players, and that's why they'd even be available in the first place. If they were still franchise-type players, their current teams wouldn't be letting them loose; they'd pay the big salary and the tax for a franchise guy.

Here's a chance to get a guy who WAS a franchise player, who is looking to win a title, and who is willing to accept a role, and to get that guy without giving up anything.

This team isn't bulletproof -- they were perilously close to coming home for Game 7 against Seattle and they struggled to close the deal with Detroit. I'd be hard-pressed to believe that there isn't room for tinkering in an effort to improve. It's not like this was the most dominant champion in NBA history; these weren't the 2001 Lakers or the 1983 Sixers.

To me, though, the question is whether the Spurs feel that they already found THAT guy in Big Dog.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Oddly enough, Kukoc and Rose come to mind. Man, if Finley is pissed by Cuban's move, maybe he comes to SA to torment the Mavs for the remainder of his career...

Marcus this idea makes a lot of sense.

Why not hold onto the MLE? I think there likely will be some pretty talented players let go under this one-time exemption. If Big Dog was willing to come here for the vet-minimum why wouldn't Finley come over for the MLE?

As for Sense not seeing that many all-stars wanting to be on the Spurs roster, last time I checked the Spurs were the NBA champs. What veteran player wouldn't want to be part of a proven winner?

I think Glenn Robinson might have shown the league that playing for the Spurs can rebuild your rep and earn you a ring all at the same time. Not bad.

Sense
07-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I think the point, though, is that neither of the guys mentioned in this thread are capable of being a franchise player anymore. They're paid like franchise players, but don't play like franchise players, and that's why they'd even be available in the first place. If they were still franchise-type players, their current teams wouldn't be letting them loose; they'd pay the big salary and the tax for a franchise guy.

Here's a chance to get a guy who WAS a franchise player, who is looking to win a title, and who is willing to accept a role, and to get that guy without giving up anything.

This team isn't bulletproof -- they were perilously close to coming home for Game 7 against Seattle and they struggled to close the deal with Detroit. I'd be hard-pressed to believe that there isn't room for tinkering in an effort to improve. It's not like this was the most dominant champion in NBA history; these weren't the 2001 Lakers or the 1983 Sixers.

To me, though, the question is whether the Spurs feel that they already found THAT guy in Big Dog.

IMO, Rose has his franchise right now....even if Bosh is getting his numbers, he still learning how to be a big man in the league, and Rose is taking the position of the leader.

Finley is unhappy in Dallas,again IMO, they've prefferred Stackhouse over him on games because of his injuries and such, he's obviously not a franchise player, but he's the Rashard Lewis of that team. I anyone in the NBA would want him... knowing this I really doubt that he has the Spurs in mind...this is the NBA, players are going for money and a bigger role.

I understand that the Spurs weren't dominant, but the thing is we won the championship, because we were always the better team. But what guarantees us that bringing a star to the team won't change anything in it? Usually it's bad on a Spurs team, and mostly because we already have enough starters on the bench..

I don't know, but I really am lookin forward for a hustler that can give it all every night from the bench, we still need our sixth man, Barry isn't looking very good at this point.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Think of it this way, if these guys are attention hogs, are they going to get more exposure being the man for their team or joining a title team for a shot at glory? The Finals reminded people that Glenn Robinson was still (somewhat) in the league.

ducks
07-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I think fwd maybe be one something
BIG DOG could be that guy (he is under the radar)

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 11:23 AM

Exactly.

Indeed.

Absolutely. The Spurs were tied at the end of 3 in Game 7 of the Finals. The separation between the Spurs and the rest of the league is not as great as some Spurs fans seem to believe.

Undoubtedly. If he spends a season with the Spurs, gets in game shape, and gets familiar with his teammates he would be very useful, I feel. Big Dog for the MLE or so works for me.

He's a guy who opponents could easily lose track of as they are trying to stop TD-MG-TP, a guy who could heat up and drop 20 on a team off the bench on any given night.

:smokin

Sense
07-07-2005, 11:24 AM
As for Sense not seeing that many all-stars wanting to be on the Spurs roster, last time I checked the Spurs were the NBA champs. What veteran player wouldn't want to be part of a proven winner?

I think Glenn Robinson might have shown the league that playing for the Spurs can rebuild your rep and earn you a ring all at the same time. Not bad.

Karl Malone comes into mind for your first question... we won a championship and he still decided to go to the Lakers. I really don't know if you've realized this, but we are always the most underrated team in the NBA, even after winning a championship. Most people don't see the finals when the Spurs are on it, because they want hopes of seeing their team win the next year...thus we get ignored, even by the players...until the playoffs.

Like I said, this is the NBA, if players like that existed, we'd have a dream team...

But it's all about the money, the role, and the popular franchise.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-07-2005, 11:28 AM
If you can get one of these guys for the MLE, you do it. The deal is simple and just like Pop told the Big Dog. You go along with the plan or you're outta here. One of these guys signed at the MLE would be easy to trade. If ego issues surface, you wait for the right opportunity and send them packing for a young talent and maybe a draft pick. Same thing with SAR for the MLE, if he takes it you go with it. Although it would be nice to plug in a long 3 considering that is the glaring weakness of the team.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 11:29 AM

The Spurs have a ton of flexibility this summer. They can give a player the money. As for the role, sure, it would likely be more limited but they will also have an opportunity to get postseason exposure (and some beer money from deep playoff runs).

Sense
07-07-2005, 11:44 AM
The Spurs have a ton of flexibility this summer. They can give a player the money. As for the role, sure, it would likely be more limited but they will also have an opportunity to get postseason exposure (and some beer money from deep playoff runs).

yeah, I agree, but there alot of more franchises out there that have more to spend, and I would think that they'd preffer a team without as many stars from the bench.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 11:48 AM
It's not as though these guys are still looking to make a name for themselves. They can come to SA, get the same money as elsewhere, not be expected to carry a team (though certainly be expected to play a team game, defense, and fill a role), have a shot at a ring and, yes, not have to log heavy minutes to carry a shit team while enduring a lot of local criticism from fans and the media.

They can come to SA, be paid, be treated well, compete for titles, not have to play with assholes, etc...

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
It's all a matter of context -- these guys, in the right context become nice role players on a good team; in the wrong context, they're asked to carry too much of the load on a bad team. Add one of them to a solid roster with a role that needs filling, and you'll get a very nice and likely motivated add.

That said, I don't think Finley makes much sense here if Devin resigns, since there won't be many minutes available at the wing, with Manu, Bowen, Barry, and Devin already in the fold.

I also think the Spurs will, at most, end up with one of Big Dog, Rose, or Abdur-Rahim. Get one of those guys in, and the rest of this discussion becomes academic.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Geez, these guys have already been paid in the NBA. They've already made a name for themselves. They can come to SA, get paid (MLE) just like they would with any other team, can compete for a ring or two to cap their careers, and not have to deal with a lot of shit. No doubt for some this is appealing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Finley always disappears in the playoffs.

Finley was one of the few Mavs who showed up in their series with us two years ago.

As for Sense's whining about "desperation"...

It's not desperation. There's a difference between being desperate and recognizing that when everyone is gunning for you, you've got to continue to improve.

Banks91
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
i dont think finley would go to denver since its almost guaranteed mobley will

be going to the nuggets. i think he will go somewhere else

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Karl Malone comes into mind for your first question... we won a championship and he still decided to go to the Lakers. I really don't know if you've realized this, but we are always the most underrated team in the NBA, even after winning a championship. Most people don't see the finals when the Spurs are on it, because they want hopes of seeing their team win the next year...thus we get ignored, even by the players...until the playoffs.

Like I said, this is the NBA, if players like that existed, we'd have a dream team...

Basing your conclusions on the decisions of Karl Malone?? That's funny in itself.

What must be missing from your radar screen is the fact that a lot of talented aging players have chosen the Spurs over the years.

No team can load up on current all-star talent unless it happens by the team being fortunate to build a strong base through the draft. Phoenix did that with the Matrix and Amare. The Spurs have done it drafting Manu and Parker. I don't think the Showtime Lakers would ever happen again.

I think the Spurs are better at attracting aging all-star talent than any other team. The argument that San Antonio is no longer an attractive destination doesn't hold up anymore.

Get your head out of your passt, Sense.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
A lot of these guys used to be All-Stars. I think a number of them recognize it. What better way to leave the league than with a ring (or two)?

SpursChampsIII
07-07-2005, 12:55 PM
It's not as though these guys are still looking to make a name for themselves. They can come to SA, get the same money as elsewhere, not be expected to carry a team (though certainly be expected to play a team game, defense, and fill a role), have a shot at a ring and, yes, not have to log heavy minutes to carry a shit team while enduring a lot of local criticism from fans and the media.

They can come to SA, be paid, be treated well, compete for titles, not have to play with assholes, etc...

Right on, and they will be met with open arms by Spurs fans. Many of us disliked Big Shot Bob before he came here, but once everyone sees him bust his hump and give his all, he won them over. Sad as it sounds, the same thing would have happened with Malone. I think SAR fits the description of what you described above.

Sense
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Basing your conclusions on the decisions of Karl Malone?? That's funny in itself.

What must be missing from your radar screen is the fact that a lot of talented aging players have chosen the Spurs over the years.

No team can load up on current all-star talent unless it happens by the team being fortunate to build a strong base through the draft. Phoenix did that with the Matrix and Amare. The Spurs have done it drafting Manu and Parker. I don't think the Showtime Lakers would ever happen again.

I think the Spurs are better at attracting aging all-star talent than any other team. The argument that San Antonio is no longer an attractive destination doesn't hold up anymore.

Get your head out of your passt, Sense.

I never said the Spurs didn't attract any players, infact I do believe they do...but like I said, look at spree and his family needs food situation...the guys just want money, it's a job, they want to be comfortable... you might say that we won a championship and they are old... the fact is the older they are the more money they want with a bigger, unless they REALLY want the championship so bad that they have to risk it that and a career.

As for the rest of whatever you said... I'm still trying to figure out who you were referring to..

BTW, AHF, what do you mean by me whining about desperate teams?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2005, 02:43 PM
As for the rest of whatever you said... I'm still trying to figure out who you were referring to..

Although some of these guys were acquired via trade, there is a long list of impact players who have played for the Spurs at the latter stages of their careers. Some of the names that come to mind:

Jerome Kersey
Terry Porter
Steve Smith
Doc Rivers
Chuck Person
Mario Ellie
Dale Ellis
Kevin Willis
Steve Kerr
Moses Malone
Robert Horry
Glenn Robinson

What you said about "the older they are, the more money they want" doesn't even apply.

I believe the Spurs are now the league's top destination for older stars who can still contribute. This "woe is me" philosophy regarding the Spurs is bunk.

People like Karl Malone, Gary Payton and Latrell have egos that exceed their worth. But there are a lot of guys that have made their bank but they still want to win. The Spurs provide that chance more than any other team, IMHO.

SenorSpur
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
i would love finley (even if it would meen glenn and brown out. )
but MLE would be enough for him?

Guys, I'm telling you. Stay away from Finley. He is damaged goods. Sure his current contract is an albatross for the Mavs, that's not the only reason the Mavs are so ready and willing to part with him. Consider the following:

His knees are virtually gone - which limits his ability to slash to the hoop, his shot is inconsistent and at times he crumbles under pressure. Oh and here's the kicker - he plays no defense whatsoever. The talk around these parts is the guy has no heart.

To make matters worse, the guy is in some serious denial regarding his diminished ability. A classic case of the athlete being the "last to know" that he's not as good as he once was. Furthermore, he vehemently refuses to accept a backup role on his current team.

Hey, he's a good guy in the community. However from a pure basketball standpoint - he's trash. If he's a bad fit on an Avery-coached team, what makes anyone feel as though he'd be a good fit here?

I'm serious. I live here in Dallas and have watched my share of Mavs games. There are more formidable options for our MLE than this guy. Let him go to Phoenix or Denver instead. :lol

midgetonadonkey
07-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Finley was one of the few Mavs who showed up in their series with us two years ago.

Where was he in last year's playoffs or in this year's? He was on the court but nowhere to be found.

Finley might be good off the bench since he won't be able to play heavy minutes. I still don't think he is a good fit. Rose would work better than Finley, but neither are a necessity. I belive resigning Devin is a necessity.

beirmeistr
07-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Although some of these guys were acquired via trade, there is a long list of impact players who have played for the Spurs at the latter stages of their careers. Some of the names that come to mind:

Jerome Kersey
Terry Porter
Steve Smith
Doc Rivers
Chuck Person
Mario Ellie
Dale Ellis
Kevin Willis
Steve Kerr
Moses Malone
Robert Horry
Glenn Robinson

What you said about "the older they are, the more money they want" doesn't even apply.

I believe the Spurs are now the league's top destination for older stars who can still contribute. This "woe is me" philosophy regarding the Spurs is bunk.

People like Karl Malone, Gary Payton and Latrell have egos that exceed their worth. But there are a lot of guys that have made their bank but they still want to win. The Spurs provide that chance more than any other team, IMHO.
The magic word is "ego." malone must still be kicking himself in the ass for being so egotistical about coming to the Spurs. Whether the Spurs' fans liked him or not, Pop would have welcomed him with open arms for the right price. The aging stars that have found temporary homes (and rings) with the Spurs all had to be willing to suppress their egos and develop the appropriate attitude about being bench players.