PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Reports-Spurs 2013 Free Agent Guide/Capology

cd021
03-28-2013, 09:44 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1558386-2013-nba-free-agents-san-antonio-spurs-should-be-watching-down-the-stretch

1. Samuel Dalembert

2. Al-Farouq Aminu

3. Marreese Speights

4. Jermaine O'Neal

5.Andray Blatche,

The list is obviously forward heavy. Which makes since considering Blair, & Bonner are likely gone.

Rough Estimates my projected cap could be slightly higher or lower.

The Spurs could have approximately $60.5 Million committed to 13 players heading into Free Agency this off season.

Parker-$12.5 Million

Duncan $10.3 Million

Leonard-$1.8 Million

Green-$3.7 Million

Diaw-$4.7 Million

Joseph-$1.1 Million

De Colo-$1.4 Million

Baynes-$788,872 Thousand

Mills-$1.1 Million

Bonner-$1 Million

Jackson-$1.4 Million

10 Players=$41.2 Million ($4.12 Average Per Player)

+1st round pick $1.3 Million

11 Players=$42.5 Million

Assuming Bonner's is waived for $1 Million, Blair walks in Free Agency, Jackson resigns for the Vet Minimum (P.E.R of 8.3), Diaw & Mills pick up their options. Neal is gone (Mills (24), De Colo (25), & Joseph (21) are all at least 3 year younger and project as more well rounded players.

+ Splitter-10 Million

+Ginobili-$8 Million
(possible Salaries in in 13-14 season, probably going to be a little less than)

13 Players-$60.5 Million.

-If Neal is traded or leaves In RFA
-The Spurs would have $10 Million before reaching the Luxury Tax Line

-The Spurs would have use of the full mid level exception. Which they could use to sign a player like...

Al-Farouq Aminu-A taller, more athletic version of Kawhi Leonard (with a lower ceiling) . Former lotto pick from the Clippers capable of playing either forward spot. Could replace Jackson as a backup 3 or Become Duncan's backup at the 4.

Marreese Speights-An athletic big man who can score in the post and board wells. Can play PF or Center. Would be an excellent addition with Duncan missing games due to rest more than capable as a starter. Currently averaging 8 pts 5 rpg and 17.82 P.E.R in 16.5 Mpg With Memphis/Cleveland.

exstatic
03-29-2013, 10:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1558386-2013-nba-free-agents-san-antonio-spurs-should-be-watching-down-the-stretch

1. Samuel Dalembert

2. Al-Farouq Aminu

3. Marreese Speights

4. Jermaine O'Neal

5.Andray Blatche,

The list is obviously forward heavy. Which makes since considering Blair, & Bonner are likely gone.

Rough Estimates my projected cap could be slightly higher or lower.

The Spurs could have approximately $60.5 Million committed to 13 players heading into Free Agency this off season.

Parker-$12.5 Million

Duncan $10.3 Million

Leonard-$1.8 Million

Green-$3.7 Million

Diaw-$4.7 Million

Joseph-$1.1 Million

De Colo-$1.4 Million

Baynes-$788,872 Thousand

Mills-$1.1 Million

Bonner-$1 Million

Jackson-$1.4 Million

10 Players=$41.2 Million ($4.12 Average Per Player)

+1st round pick $1.3 Million

11 Players=$42.5 Million

Assuming Bonner's is waived for $1 Million, Blair walks in Free Agency, Jackson resigns for the Vet Minimum (P.E.R of 8.3), Diaw & Mills pick up their options. Neal is gone (Mills (24), De Colo (25), & Joseph (21) are all at least 3 year younger and project as more well rounded players.

+ Splitter-10 Million

+Ginobili-$8 Million
(possible Salaries in in 13-14 season, probably going to be a little less than)

13 Players-$60.5 Million.

-If Neal is traded or leaves In RFA
-The Spurs would have $10 Million before reaching the Luxury Tax Line

-The Spurs would have use of the full mid level exception. Which they could use to sign a player like...

Al-Farouq Aminu-A taller, more athletic version of Kawhi Leonard (with a lower ceiling) . Former lotto pick from the Clippers capable of playing either forward spot. Could replace Jackson as a backup 3 or Become Duncan's backup at the 4.

Marreese Speights-An athletic big man who can score in the post and board wells. Can play PF or Center. Would be an excellent addition with Duncan missing games due to rest more than capable as a starter. Currently averaging 8 pts 5 rpg and 17.82 P.E.R in 16.5 Mpg With Memphis/Cleveland.

Speights has a low BBIQ. Not really Spurs material. Other teams don't even want him. He's coming into his first FA period on his 3rd team.

Aminu's alright, but not worth the Mid level.

Another possibility is Wes Johnson. He also under performed on his rookie deal.

You might actually be able to sign two of them for the mid level.

Chinook
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
That's a weird article. I pretty much disagree with all of the guy's numbers. If the Spurs went into the off-season with this plan, I'd be very disappointed.

Also, why does he have Jack on the books for $1.4 Million? Even if the Spurs plan to re-sign him for that much, he should be in the same section with Ginobili and Splitter.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-29-2013, 12:39 PM
aminu would be a dream free agency pick up. i think he is exactly the kind of player the spurs need.

that late 1st will be interesting. i'm hoping it turns out to be branden dawson or andre roberson. aminu and dawson/roberson > the turd towers.

cd021
03-29-2013, 01:14 PM
That's a weird article. I pretty much disagree with all of the guy's numbers. If the Spurs went into the off-season with this plan, I'd be very disappointed.

Also, why does he have Jack on the books for $1.4 Million? Even if the Spurs plan to re-sign him for that much, he should be in the same section with Ginobili and Splitter.

Jackson has earned $8-10 million dollars while producing at nearly half of the league average P.E.R (8.3 Average is 15). That makes 0 sense. In the past he would have been a Mid level exception type. But that market is much more selective. Petrius & KMart sat out most of the season hoping to be picked up for more than the vet minimum. Teams aren't willing to spend 5+ million for that "vet presence" the vet minimum is about right for Captain. If Duncan can take a massive pay cut. Parker playing for well below his market value. Jackson would be expected to take a hit. I'd still expect him to return even at 1.4 million.

Neal is likely gone, Blair & Bonner as well. We have a cap hold for our 1st round pick which should be no more than 1.3 million. Splitter will easily get $10 million on the market. Manu will get 5-8 million from the spurs next season.

TheGoldStandard
03-29-2013, 01:14 PM
aminu would be a dream free agency pick up. i think he is exactly the kind of player the spurs need.

that late 1st will be interesting. i'm hoping it turns out to be branden dawson or andre roberson. aminu and dawson/roberson > the turd towers.

I agree with aminu, that would be a nice pick up but dawson and Roberson are a little iffy.

gambit1990
03-29-2013, 01:22 PM
kawhi and aminu in the same line up would be nice...

cd021
03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Speights has a low BBIQ. Not really Spurs material. Other teams don't even want him. He's coming into his first FA period on his 3rd team.

Aminu's alright, but not worth the Mid level.

Another possibility is Wes Johnson. He also under performed on his rookie deal.

You might actually be able to sign two of them for the mid level.

Speights would be an instant upgrade over Bonner, & Blair. In limited action, with smart players and great passers could be a great pickup and relatively cheap.

Johnson is someone I hadn't thought about he could be a late bloomer.

I still think Aminu is the best of the list. He's 6'10, long, Athletic and still very young. I'd be willing to go up that high, personally.

Richie
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
The numbers are all off. You haven't account for things like Splitters cap hold likely being lower than his expected deal, thus allowing us flexibility under the cap.

Aminu is a good prospect. If we use our cap space (Could be anywhere from $6m-$11m depending on what the cap is and what contract Manu accepts) to sign a big man and offer Aminu the Room Exception ($5m/2yr) I'd be very happy. Aminu might command more though.

Spur|n|Austin
03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Bonner's not going anywhere..

Mal
03-29-2013, 01:58 PM
I hope Manu isnt staying for money. Hometown discount will be appreciated.

exstatic
03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
You people are still living in the past. With the new CBA, high first round washouts already dumped by their drafting teams like Aminu and Wes Johnson won't get anywhere near the mid level. They won't ever be stars. Their flaws, physical or mental, have been exposed. They'll need to be developed, and no one is going to pay them $6M a year for that privilege.

It's a new day. Fewer full mid level deals, fewer MAX contracts. Unless you're a sure fire superstar, you will get a less than MAX offer at extension time, and if you don't accept, they'll let other teams (who are also spending less money now) set the market, and either match or not.

exstatic
03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Bonner's not going anywhere..
Yes he is. He'll get a handshake and a check for $1M and be shown the world, or he'll be traded to someone who will do that. They're not going to pay him $3.75M for mop up duty when then can pay him $1M to go away.

Chinook
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Jackson has earned $8-10 million dollars while producing at nearly half of the league average P.E.R (8.3 Average is 15). That makes 0 sense. In the past he would have been a Mid level exception type. But that market is much more selective. Petrius & KMart sat out most of the season hoping to be picked up for more than the vet minimum. Teams aren't willing to spend 5+ million for that "vet presence" the vet minimum is about right for Captain. If Duncan can take a massive pay cut. Parker playing for well below his market value. Jackson would be expected to take a hit. I'd still expect him to return even at 1.4 million.

Neal is likely gone, Blair & Bonner as well. We have a cap hold for our 1st round pick which should be no more than 1.3 million. Splitter will easily get $10 million on the market. Manu will get 5-8 million from the spurs next season.

When I said Jack should be in the other section, I meant as a player getting re-signed. Where he is now on that lists suggests Jack is ALREADY going to count for $1.4 Million against the Spurs' cap. I don't know why the writer did that.

cd021
03-29-2013, 03:45 PM
The numbers are all off. You haven't account for things like Splitters cap hold likely being lower than his expected deal, thus allowing us flexibility under the cap.

Aminu is a good prospect. If we use our cap space (Could be anywhere from $6m-$11m depending on what the cap is and what contract Manu accepts) to sign a big man and offer Aminu the Room Exception ($5m/2yr) I'd be very happy. Aminu might command more though.

Once resolved I meant that once Splitter, Ginobili's & Jackson's contracts are resolved. I know about cap holds once you agree to a new deal with that player than the cap hold goes away (or renounce that player)

cd021
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
When I said Jack should be in the other section, I meant as a player getting re-signed. Where he is now on that lists suggests Jack is ALREADY going to count for $1.4 Million against the Spurs' cap. I don't know why the writer did that.

The top half is from Bleacher Report the rest is me. I misunderstood what you meant. I put Jackson that far down because. Its only an estimate of what his next contract will be since he is an free agent the top half of the spurs salaries are for players who have contracts who run through next season (including player options) His cap hold is going to be something like $20 million+ so the spurs would have to sign him or renounce him rather quickly. I think they will offer him a Vet Min.

Chinook
03-29-2013, 03:52 PM
The top half is from Bleacher Report the rest is me. I misunderstood what you meant. I put Jackson that far down because. Its only an estimate of what his next contract will be since he is an free agent the top half of the spurs salaries are for players who have contracts who run through next season (including player options) His cap hold is going to be something like $20 million+ so the spurs would have to sign him or renounce him rather quickly. I think they will offer him a Vet Min.

If that's what they offer him, they should just wait until after free agents sign. Worst come to worst, they can fit that into the room exception.

One thing to consider, though, is that signing Jack to a one-year minimum deal would only cost something like 900k (it used to be 854k). The league would pay the balance of the deal, giving the Spurs about another half a million in room.

exstatic
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
If that's what they offer him, they should just wait until after free agents sign.

His cap hold is going to be something like $20 million+ so the spurs would have to sign him or renounce him rather quickly.

Chinook
03-29-2013, 04:20 PM
I know what his cap hold is. I mean they should just give up his bird rights and wait until after they sign everyone else to sign him. It makes for sense for everyone to wait. They can sign Jack to a minimum deal no matter how much room they have, so the hold isn't necessary.

EricB
03-29-2013, 04:44 PM
If Pop is as enamored with Bonner as everyone thinks he is, then why is he racking up the DNP CDs lately?

spurraider21
03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
If Chip can get Aminu to shoot 3's at a decent clip he'd be beast

Spur|n|Austin
03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes he is. He'll get a handshake and a check for $1M and be shown the world, or he'll be traded to someone who will do that. They're not going to pay him $3.75M for mop up duty when then can pay him $1M to go away.

I'd love for that to be the case but I have a bad feeling Pop would put his foot down on it

cd021
03-29-2013, 07:53 PM
I know what his cap hold is. I mean they should just give up his bird rights and wait until after they sign everyone else to sign him. It makes for sense for everyone to wait. They can sign Jack to a minimum deal no matter how much room they have, so the hold isn't necessary.

Can they renounce his rights and then resign him later? Or does than not apply if they agree to a vet min. deal? If so then yes that could work but Captain & Manu's [massive] cap holds need to be resolved with quickness. I believe its 150% of their previous salary. So Captains actually would be $15 Million.

cd021
03-29-2013, 07:56 PM
I have the exact Cap Holds courtsesy of Hoopsworld.com

Manu Ginobili-$19.1
Stephen Jackson-$15.0
Splitter-$9.6

The Spurs could get this resolved within a week or so during the off season. Then they should have something like $60.5 Million committed to 13 players ( based on my aforementioned estimates above)

cd021
03-29-2013, 08:00 PM

Agreed. It would be inconceivable to keep him as bench warmer for nearly $4 Million. He also would allow them to get another body on roster,by cutting him.

Chinook
03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Can they renounce his rights and then resign him later? Or does than not apply if they agree to a vet min. deal? If so then yes that could work but Captain & Manu's [massive] cap holds need to be resolved with quickness. I believe its 150% of their previous salary. So Captains actually would be $15 Million.

Yes. They only need his rights if they plan on using a Bird exception to re-sign him. If he got a minimum deal, they'd be using the minimum exception instead. Or they could use the room exception to give him a little more than that.

A couple of tweaks to your scenario can leave the Spurs with even more money to use to bring in players:

--Wait to re-sign Jack until the end of the off-season.
--Only give Splitter his qualifying offer. This is guaranteed to happen for at least the first couple of days of free agency. According to ShamSports (pretty much the best site there is for salary numbers), that hold would be $7.493 Million dollars. Using that instead of the $10 Million would give the Spurs a good deal of extra cap space.
--Re-sign Ginobili for about a million less per year. If you have to give him the third year with a partial guarantee, so be it.
--Finally, assume the cap is going to be about $65 Million. I don't know what you assumed before, but that's looking like a pretty accurate figure.

From looking at my really rough calculations, that should leave the Spurs with about $9.5 Million to spend on a free agent, while preserving the room exception and still being able to re-sign Jack. If the cap is at $62 Million, that still allows the Spurs to beat the MLE and to using the room exception.

Here's a link to Sham's site:http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

cd021
03-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Yes. They only need his rights if they plan on using a Bird exception to re-sign him. If he got a minimum deal, they'd be using the minimum exception instead. Or they could use the room exception to give him a little more than that.

A couple of tweaks to your scenario can leave the Spurs with even more money to use to bring in players:

--Wait to re-sign Jack until the end of the off-season.
--Only give Splitter his qualifying offer. This is guaranteed to happen for at least the first couple of days of free agency. According to ShamSports (pretty much the best site there is for salary numbers), that hold would be $7.493 Million dollars. Using that instead of the $10 Million would give the Spurs a good deal of extra cap space.
--Re-sign Ginobili for about a million less per year. If you have to give him the third year with a partial guarantee, so be it.
--Finally, assume the cap is going to be about $65 Million. I don't know what you assumed before, but that's looking like a pretty accurate figure.

From looking at my really rough calculations, that should leave the Spurs with about $9.5 Million to spend on a free agent, while preserving the room exception and still being able to re-sign Jack. If the cap is at $62 Million, that still allows the Spurs to beat the MLE and to using the room exception.

Here's a link to Sham's site:http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

You had till the $65 [Hypothetical] Million Cap. The Cap was frozen following the CBA so its at 58 this season, I don't get why it would jump 7 million. At most I'd think $61 Million. Though I had been using this seasons cap as reference (I don't know why i did that, though it didn't effect my numbers because the spurs are going to be over anyway).

Splitter is going to get payed. Hibbert Got a max deal. Splitter is just as good per minute as Hibbert and has a "all star P.E.R". Teams with Cap Houston, Dallas, Portland, Cleveland, Orlando etc, could be players in Splitter. Dallas needs a big man as they are currently renting 2 bigs.

anything less than a 4 year $40 Million deal would be surprising. My Manu $8 million figure was at the high end something like a 3 Year $21 Million (with 3.5 million guaranteed in the 3 year) could save the spurs an additional $1 million.

$59 million is about the lowest our salary could get prior to resigning Splitter & Manu. IMO.

Chinook
03-30-2013, 07:25 AM
You had till the $65 [Hypothetical] Million Cap. The Cap was frozen following the CBA so its at 58 this season, I don't get why it would jump 7 million. At most I'd think $61 Million. Though I had been using this seasons cap as reference (I don't know why i did that, though it didn't effect my numbers because the spurs are going to be over anyway).

Mainly because of the big contracts the NBA and some teams signed this season. The cap is a proportion of all league revenue, and since revenue increased so much, the cap will jump (or the player will sue over it not jumping. Stern said at the beginning of the season that the cap could jump up to $70 Million next season. Here's what media cap guru Larry Coon had to say on that:

Larry Coon (http://www.cbafaq.com/)

I’m trying to get to the bottom of Stern’s claim right now. Since some of the principal sources of revenue (national TV) were already set, the league already knew about things like the Lakers’ & Celtics’ new TV deals, and other revenue streams (such as ticket sales) have limited growth potential, I’m not sure where all this new revenue comes from. The league was predicting $4.3 billion as late as July.
That said, the players get 50% of revenues, plus or minus 60.5% percent of the amount by which revenues exceed or fall short of forecasts. The forecast for 2012-13 is $4.308 billion, so a $5 billion BRI would guarantee the players $2.5 billion plus 60.5% $692 million ($419 million) for a total of $2.919 billion. That’s an insane amount.
That would work out to a cap of about $73 million, and luxury tax around $88.2 million. Again, this seems insanely high.

Splitter is going to get payed. Hibbert Got a max deal. Splitter is just as good per minute as Hibbert and has a "all star P.E.R". Teams with Cap Houston, Dallas, Portland, Cleveland, Orlando etc, could be players in Splitter. Dallas needs a big man as they are currently renting 2 bigs.

Splitter may get a max deal (I don't know if the Spurs would match, though), but that doesn't affect his cap hold. He'll only count for $7.5 Million until he officially signs a contract. This means the Spurs are free to work around using his cap hold only until then. I can imagine you feel that Splitter will get signed straight away, but that's not true. There is a period of time at the beginning of each off-season when players can work out deals with other teams but cannot officially sign. This gives the Spurs plenty of time to get a deal set up with a free agent before Splitter can officially sign an offer sheet from a team to mess up the Spurs' cap.

Even if Splitter signed a max deal (in this scenario about $16 Million starting in year one--way too high to realistically expect Splitter to sign), the Spurs would have the space under the tax to match, although just barely.

My Manu $8 million figure was at the high end something like a 3 Year $21 Million (with 3.5 million guaranteed in the 3 year) could save the spurs an additional $1 million.

That would make his deal essentially $17.5/2, which is higher than you previously wanted. I know that that may be the price of getting Ginobili to wait, but think you could get away with giving Manu $6.1 Million in his first season, $6.4 Million in the second and guaranteeing $3.5 Million in the third. That saves even more room, and it gives Ginobili his $8 Million average.

$59 million is about the lowest our salary could get prior to resigning Splitter & Manu. IMO

What do you mean? You said in your OP that the Spurs would only have $42 Million committed before signing Ginobili and Splitter.

Richie
03-30-2013, 07:29 AM
I have the exact Cap Holds courtsesy of Hoopsworld.com

Manu Ginobili-$19.1
Stephen Jackson-$15.0
Splitter-$9.6

The Spurs could get this resolved within a week or so during the off season. Then they should have something like $60.5 Million committed to 13 players ( based on my aforementioned estimates above)

Splitters cap hold is $7.5m

vander
03-30-2013, 01:20 PM
10m for splitter would be a ripoff, spurs FO better be smarter than that.

I'd give splitter 4 years 35 mill
and manu 2 years 9 mill

TrainOfThought5
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
if we gave manu that deal and he plays as much as he did this year, as well as he did this year, he would instantly be worse value than RJ.

Kidd K
03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Ginobili should absolutely take a pay cut. He's missed so much time, he should be playing for dirt cheap at this point if he has any conscience.

As for that other stuff, I don't think the Spurs are out looking to sign Speights, Aminu, etc. Definitely not Blatche either because he didn't want to come here pretty recently. Dumb fuck thought the Nets would be better than the Spurs. I certainly don't want him now.

Spurs are more likely to use a good portion of their extra money re-signing Tiago Splitter, who's finally fit well into the team and is now able to play properly alongside Duncan. Last year they looked terrible together, but this year it's been a very nice thing to see.

I wouldn't mind bringing in Jermaine O'Neal though if he doesn't mind playing a little less minutes than he's used to, and doesn't mind not getting paid as much as he could possibly get. He'd be a nice 3rd/4th big.

It's bleacher report. Despite being bought up, it's still written by fans, not experts with insider info or any real experience with these things.

cd021
03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Mainly because of the big contracts the NBA and some teams signed this season. The cap is a proportion of all league revenue, and since revenue increased so much, the cap will jump (or the player will sue over it not jumping. Stern said at the beginning of the season that the cap could jump up to $70 Million next season. Here's what media cap guru Larry Coon had to say on that:

I stand corrected. A Cap of $65 + million would be fantastic for the spurs and more importantly the luxury tax jumping by more than $10 Million. That would seem to counter productive to the NBA teams could spend $80 million and still get away with out paying luxury tax.

Splitter may get a max deal (I don't know if the Spurs would match, though), but that doesn't affect his cap hold. He'll only count for $7.5 Million until he officially signs a contract. This means the Spurs are free to work around using his cap hold only until then. I can imagine you feel that Splitter will get signed straight away, but that's not true. There is a period of time at the beginning of each off-season when players can work out deals with other teams but cannot officially sign. This gives the Spurs plenty of time to get a deal set up with a free agent before Splitter can officially sign an offer sheet from a team to mess up the Spurs' cap.

Splitters cap hold is $9.8 Million according to Hoop World (http://www.hoopsworld.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary) though that maybe wrong, they may have been going under the presumption that Splitter will only receive his qualifying offer as his salary for next season. $7.5 is right, I think). I didn't mean he would get a max deal, I meant that talented bigs make upwards of $10 million in the NBA. I'd expect somewhere between 4 years $40-45 million). The Same can be said for Splitter, in that time he can receive an offer from a team with cap and once that July 1st-6th negotiation period passes he could sing an offer sheet and force the spurs hand. After he signs the offer sheet he can't be [sign &] traded meaning the spurs would have to pay of decline to pay him. It would make since for the Spurs to make him top priority over a free agent who may not even sign with the Spurs.

Even if Splitter signed a max deal (in this scenario about $16 Million starting in year one--way too high to realistically expect Splitter to sign), the Spurs would have the space under the tax to match, although just barely.

That would make his deal essentially $17.5/2, which is higher than you previously wanted. I know that that may be the price of getting Ginobili to wait, but think you could get away with giving Manu $6.1 Million in his first season, $6.4 Million in the second and guaranteeing $3.5 Million in the third. That saves even more room, and it gives Ginobili his $8 Million average.

Saving $400,00 and 300,00 is really drop in the bucket. It wouldn't help that much to the spurs. In my deal, he starts at $6.6 with each season raising 7 percent as with typical contracts

1st Season-$6.6
+7% =460,000
2nd Season-$7.06
+7 %=490,000
3rd Season-$7.55 (Partially guaranteed for $3.5 million or 46% guaranteed)

What do you mean? You said in your OP that the Spurs would only have $42 Million committed before signing Ginobili and Splitter.

I misspoke I meant $59 million after Manu & Splitters (presumed) contracts are added that would be for 13 players ( Not including Bonner, Blair, & Neal) and including our 1st round pick (who for all we know could be a draft and stash, doubtful but its happened in the 1st round before)

Chinook
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Splitters cap hold is $9.8 Million according to Hoop World (http://www.hoopsworld.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary) though that maybe wrong, they may have been going under the presumption that Splitter will only receive his qualifying offer as his salary for next season. $7.5 is right, I think). I didn't mean he would get a max deal, I meant that talented bigs make upwards of $10 million in the NBA. I'd expect somewhere between 4 years $40-45 million).

By rule, Splitter's cap hold is 190 percent of his previous salary. That means his hold is $7.4 Million this off-season. His qualifying offer is only 125 percent of this season's salary, which ends up being $4.9 Million. Hoopsworld is assuming a hold of 250 percent, which is the hold for players coming off rookie-scale contracts. Splitter is coming off his rookie deal, but he waited three years to get off the scale. Therefore, he'd only have the $7.5 Million, and not the $9.6 Million.

The Same can be said for Splitter, in that time he can receive an offer from a team with cap and once that July 1st-6th negotiation period passes he could sing an offer sheet and force the spurs hand. After he signs the offer sheet he can't be [sign &] traded meaning the spurs would have to pay of decline to pay him. It would make since for the Spurs to make him top priority over a free agent who may not even sign with the Spurs.

But the Spurs could already get a deal in place before then. So even if Splitter were determined to sign the first offer sheet someone gave him, the Spurs would have five days to agree to a deal with their free agent (and Ginobili). Then, as soon as free agency officially begun, the Spurs could re-sign Ginobili, renounce all of their other free agents besides Splitter and maybe Neal and sign their target free agent before Splitter can force their hands. No matter what, the Spurs would have three days after Splitter signed the offer sheet to match, so it's not like he could sign so fast the Spurs would have no time to fax their other deals into the league office.

Also, the Spurs can agree to a deal with Splitter in that five-day span, agree to a deal with another free agent, and then just officially sign the other free agent a couple of minutes before re-signing Splitter on that first day. They don't have to ignore him for them to take advantage of the cap.

I forgot all about the 7.5-percent increase the Spurs can use for Ginobili. When you factor that in, it's not really a negligible difference. That amount (about 600k after changing my numbers) is enough space sign a second-rounder to a longer than two-year deal. I get what you mean about the grand scheme though.

One thing I wanted to point out as an FYI about salary increases: The increase is a flat amount taken by a percentage of the first-year salary only. So if Ginobili were to get that deal you described, his second-year-to-third-year increase would also be $460k. I know it doesn't matter in this case, since that final year is just a way to spread the money around, but it may end up being more important when looking at future contracts.

cd021
03-31-2013, 12:32 AM
10m for splitter would be a ripoff, spurs FO better be smarter than that.

I'd give splitter 4 years 35 mill
and manu 2 years 9 mill

9 million a year for twilight and its a good deal but $10 million is a ripoff...Mind explaining?

Manu signing for 4.5 million a season for 2 years...P.E.R is 19. He is worth 7 million a season at the very least.

cd021
03-31-2013, 12:36 AM
By rule, Splitter's cap hold is 190 percent of his previous salary. That means his hold is $7.4 Million this off-season. His qualifying offer is only 125 percent of this season's salary, which ends up being $4.9 Million. Hoopsworld is assuming a hold of 250 percent, which is the hold for players coming off rookie-scale contracts. Splitter is coming off his rookie deal, but he waited three years to get off the scale. Therefore, he'd only have the $7.5 Million, and not the $9.6 Million.

But the Spurs could already get a deal in place before then. So even if Splitter were determined to sign the first offer sheet someone gave him, the Spurs would have five days to agree to a deal with their free agent (and Ginobili). Then, as soon as free agency officially begun, the Spurs could re-sign Ginobili, renounce all of their other free agents besides Splitter and maybe Neal and sign their target free agent before Splitter can force their hands. No matter what, the Spurs would have three days after Splitter signed the offer sheet to match, so it's not like he could sign so fast the Spurs would have no time to fax their other deals into the league office.

Also, the Spurs can agree to a deal with Splitter in that five-day span, agree to a deal with another free agent, and then just officially sign the other free agent a couple of minutes before re-signing Splitter on that first day. They don't have to ignore him for them to take advantage of the cap.

I forgot all about the 7.5-percent increase the Spurs can use for Ginobili. When you factor that in, it's not really a negligible difference. That amount (about 600k after changing my numbers) is enough space sign a second-rounder to a longer than two-year deal. I get what you mean about the grand scheme though.

One thing I wanted to point out as an FYI about salary increases: The increase is a flat amount taken by a percentage of the first-year salary only. So if Ginobili were to get that deal you described, his second-year-to-third-year increase would also be $460k. I know it doesn't matter in this case, since that final year is just a way to spread the money around, but it may end up being more important when looking at future contracts.

You're becoming the ST version of Larry Coon. Good stuff.

vander
03-31-2013, 12:56 PM
9 million a year for twilight and its a good deal but $10 million is a ripoff...Mind explaining?

Manu signing for 4.5 million a season for 2 years...P.E.R is 19. He is worth 7 million a season at the very least.

:lol PER, first, in order for that to matter, manu has to be on the court, 2nd, manu comes off the bench, good chunk of his minutes comes against the opposing 2nd unit. on court/off court >> PER tbh

and you're right on the first part, 4 years 35m would still be a bit much. I was thinking something that started at 6-7 mil, so more like 32m total I guess

ChumpDumper
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
The thing is Manu is valuable to the franchise beyond his actual play on court. He'll still get paid.

Chinook
03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
The thing is Manu is valuable to the franchise beyond his actual play on court. He'll still get paid.

Won't get paid more than Duncan, though. Since Tim is making $10 Million as a greatest player in franchise history and still the second-best player, Ginobili is looking at at most $8 Million a year. Ginobili himself hinted at being okay with a major pay reduction.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Won't get paid more than Duncan, though. Since Tim is making $10 Million as a greatest player in franchise history and still the second-best player, Ginobili is looking at at most $8 Million a year. Ginobili himself hinted at being okay with a major pay reduction.No one said he would be paid more than Duncan.

Chinook
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
No one said he would be paid more than Duncan.

I know. I just said that to show his expected range. It seems realistic to expect the first year of his contract to be between $6- and $8 Million. If that's the case, the Spurs will have a lot of room to work with this off-season.

exstatic
03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
if we gave manu that deal and he plays as much as he did this year, as well as he did this year, he would instantly be worse value than RJ.

He's really only played poorly for about 6-8 weeks. People forget, but he was in the discussion for ASG reserves. Even with his poor play, his PER is still around 19 last I checked, which is borderline AS.

Manu will certainly be fine by next year. I just hope that hammy doesn't go out again THIS year. That is probably what is limiting his play.

TrainOfThought5
03-31-2013, 01:46 PM
He's really only played poorly for about 6-8 weeks. People forget, but he was in the discussion for ASG reserves. Even with his poor play, his PER is still around 19 last I checked, which is borderline AS.

Manu will certainly be fine by next year. I just hope that hammy doesn't go out again THIS year. That is probably what is limiting his play.

i love gino but expecting an injury prone guy nicknamed el contusion to get healthier as he gets older is unrealistic, tbqh. his minutes are at a career low. his missed+poorly played games > His healthy+well played games. which is what happens in your mid thirties.

cd021
03-31-2013, 08:43 PM
i love gino but expecting an injury prone guy nicknamed el contusion to get healthier as he gets older is unrealistic, tbqh. his minutes are at a career low. his missed+poorly played games > His healthy+well played games. which is what happens in your mid thirties.

At 33 he started and played 77 games averaging 30 minutes and 17ppg. He has injury prone seasons, like last year. This year he has actually been relatively healthy considering he hasn't missed major time.

cd021
03-31-2013, 10:08 PM
:lol PER, first, in order for that to matter, manu has to be on the court, 2nd, manu comes off the bench, good chunk of his minutes comes against the opposing 2nd unit. on court/off court >> PER tbh

and you're right on the first part, 4 years 35m would still be a bit much. I was thinking something that started at 6-7 mil, so more like 32m total I guess

Manu doesn't just play against 2nd unit players. Any starter who plays well over 30 minutes means that he is playing against opposing starters for roughly 1/3 of his playing time. I don't understand how someone who plays 24 mpg can play all of his minutes against opposing bench players that clearly isn't correct.

If you thing Tiago is getting a 4 year $ 32 year deal ( 8 million annually) thats pretty wishful thinking 10.5 pts 6 rpg 57% FG from a Center playing well under 30 mpg (24mpg) for a title contender. McGee got a 4 Year deal for $40 million. So did Dre Jordan. Hibbert got a Max Deal, none of these players are head and shoulders above Splitter. Hibbert is the only player who is probably better. His floor is probably 10 million.

TheGoldStandard
03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Splitter is going to command a 12 mil deal for 4 years if they want to keep him and someone will want to overpay.

superjames1992
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
We need to make a deal to bring Beno Udrih back to San Antonio. We haven't won a title since he departed...

TheGoldStandard
03-31-2013, 11:36 PM
We need to make a deal to bring Beno Udrih back to San Antonio. We haven't won a title since he departed...

Don't forget Nazr Mohammad

superjames1992
03-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Don't forget Nazr Mohammad
Yep, him too. Think we can bring Rasho out of retirement, too (though we did win in 2007 without him)?