PDA

View Full Version : Game on...err off...err on...

Duff McCartney
07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-nhl-lockout&prov=ap&type=lgns

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The NHL and the players' association are closing in on a new collective bargaining agreement, but both sides denied a report Thursday that a deal had been reached.

The Los Angeles Times reported that the sides had completed negotiations to end the lockout that wiped out all of last season. But the league and the union said that is premature.

``The report is inaccurate,'' players' association spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon said.

The league and the union have been at the bargaining table every week for the past few months and have indicated they are close to a deal. The sides resumed negotiations in New York on Monday, and those talks continued Thursday.

``The media report that the NHL and the NHLPA have an agreement in principle is simply not true,'' Bernadette Mansur, the NHL vice president of communications, said in an e-mail statement.

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources close to the negotiations, said the agreement would feature a hard salary cap linked to 54 percent of league revenue, a 24 percent rollback of existing contracts and qualifying offers. It would also include a provision that would limit the salary of any player to 20 percent of the team cap figure in any season.

The salary cap would be $37 million and wouldn't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the Times reported.

The newspaper added that details were to be presented to the NHL executive committee in New York on Monday, and that players would meet to decide whether to approve the deal.

``There is no BOG (board of governors) meeting scheduled at this time,'' Mansur said.

Under the reported agreement, the league's All-Star game would be dropped next season and players would be allowed to represent their home countries at the Turin Olympics in February, the Times said. Each team would also have an equal chance in the lottery for the No. 1 pick in this year's entry draft.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the hockey season Feb. 16 because of the lockout, which started Sept. 16. The NHL became the first major pro sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute.

-----------------------------

http://home.ripway.com/2003-11/37679/Kent.jpg

This just in...nobody gives a damn.

spurschick
07-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Does anybody really care about hockey anymore? I'm sure they've lost 50% of their fan base, which was small to begin with.

samikeyp
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Hockey?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-07-2005, 12:17 PM
yeah hockey is fucked, it will never be as popular again, which is good. i hate when i want to see a spurs game on fox sports sw and they'd show a lame ass dallas stars game.

ZStomp
07-07-2005, 01:33 PM
:lol

I forgot that there was no hockey.

That's how much I care. :lol

SpursWoman
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
:lol

I forgot that there was no hockey.

That's how much I care. :lol

Me, too ... :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
If an NHL hockey season was played in the forest, and no one saw it, would it really exist?

Extra Stout
07-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Pro sports leagues more popular than the NHL:

NFL
MLB
NBA
PGA
ATP
WTA
NASCAR
IRL
Arena Football
MLS
NFL Europe

The NHL is down there with CART, boxing, and pro lacrosse.

Trainwreck2100
07-07-2005, 03:16 PM
The only time i ever watched hockey was in the Mighty Duck movies.

TNT21
07-07-2005, 03:53 PM
This should be in the "who gives a shit" forum. Personally I think life is better off without any fucking hockey!

Aristotle Yogurt
07-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Many Excellent Opinions From Excellent People

ZStomp
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro sports leagues more popular than the NHL:

NFL
MLB
NBA
PGA
ATP
WTA
NASCAR
IRL
Arena Football
MLS
NFL Europe

The NHL is down there with CART, boxing, and pro lacrosse.

Pop Warner..:lol

samikeyp
07-07-2005, 05:52 PM
but still above the WNBA.

N.Y. Johnny
07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
don't forget Poker Re-Runs

they're the shit man!

spurschick
07-07-2005, 08:32 PM
NBATV has Hardwood Classics and the All-Star games from the last 20 years. :sleep

SpursWoman
07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Pop Warner..:lol

God, my son wants to play football... :cry :lmao

timvp
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I hope the NHL dies. It's a waste of time on sportscenter.

Although, I am guilty of checking out the last couple games of the Stanley Cup finals every year ... errr, when they used to have them.

spurschick
07-07-2005, 08:38 PM
God, my son wants to play football... :cry :lmao

If he can put momma in a big house and fancy car some day, give him the pigskin!