PDA

View Full Version : Is Spoelstra that good of a coach?!?

Chris16
03-31-2013, 08:42 PM
I remember everyone calling him Mike Brown Jr. for the first 2 years of the Big 3 era, now all of a sudden he's even more of a coaching nightmare for Popovich than Phil Jackson was. A bunch of Heat role players destroyed the Spurs lineup today, even the Lakers role players in the Phil Jackson era weren't capable of doing that.

:bang

Budkin
03-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Well he has been mentored by Riley so it probably just clicked for him.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2013, 08:44 PM
He was a poor coach the past few years, but he has gradually progressed to slightly above average..

He learned to run pick&rolls and screens like the rest of the NBA does, last year, tbh..

hooperflash
03-31-2013, 08:46 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrs2jsgbYL1qanzk2.jpg

Obstructed_View
03-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Spo doesn't coach fear into his players. Pop does.

jimbo
03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
He's got a lot of talent and started actually built a real offensive system to fit that talent. He learned from his failures in 2010 and got a lot better as a coach as a result.

Props to Spo.

mercos
03-31-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't watch enough of the Heat to comment on Spo's coaching ability, but tonight was more on the Spurs effort than anything the Heat did. That effort starts at the top with Pop, who left a horrible lineup in the game to start the fourth when neither team scored for the first two minutes. He let the game stay too close for too long. That allowed one bad call, and one clutch shot from Bosh to steal the win. Player effort was embarrassing as well. Nobody outside of Kawhi wanted to finish at the rim. You can always tell when the Spurs check out mentally. It becomes a three point barrage.

Duncanoypi
03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
He's a Filipino and proud of it!

Spurs9
03-31-2013, 09:11 PM
You don't win 28 in a row including close games without having a half decent coach tbh His coaching has been pretty solid since he got a GF half his age.

boutons_deux
03-31-2013, 09:14 PM
he had his guys put a lot of pressure on our backcourt, they executed, and it worked. Several times Tony dribbled back to mid court try to get free.

Norris Cole
03-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Hes gotten much better since last year. Credit to him since its well documented he has put in work in trying to get better.

TheGoldStandard
03-31-2013, 09:29 PM
he had his guys put a lot of pressure on our backcourt, they executed, and it worked. Several times Tony dribbled back to mid court try to get free.

Tony only tried to split the double team once and was successful and then wet the bed. A very passive weak performance from a "MVP" player.. very bad game from him.

UZER
03-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Spo doesn't coach fear into his players. Pop does.

He also doesn't demand players get over themselves while not having got over himself yet.

BatManu20
03-31-2013, 10:00 PM
No. It's still one win where we missed a ton of open looks and Parker looked lethargic. Let's not get carried away. I've always thought Spo is one of the most overrated coaches in the league. He usually just stands on the sideline with his hands on his hips. His team doesn't run many plays. It's pretty much slash and pop with Lebron and Wade. If he won multiple games like this that'd be one thing, but this is his first win over a good team where his best players didn't play. Let's not jump the gun.

Man In Black
03-31-2013, 10:11 PM
If not for a gift from the refs, then Pop would have cut the HCA down to 1 game. It doesn't make Spo better or Pop worst, it just means that that gift of a call from Texas resident Jason Philipps meant that Bosh's 3 resulted in the win instead of the tie.

It's weird, I come to San Antonio and their are enemy fans everywhere. If this was Staples, you wouldn't hear Heat fan say too much because those guys would go "Raider Fan" on opposing fans. It's like in San Diego at Qualcomm, Charger fans let's Raider fan do anything right up until it's time for the cops to cuff Raider fan.

HI-FI
03-31-2013, 10:18 PM
You don't win 28 in a row including close games without having a half decent coach tbh His coaching has been pretty solid since he got a GF half his age.

damn, just saw his GF. wasn't he married? if he actually remained single and bagged that hottie without dumping a wife in the process, then props.

therealtruth
03-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Tony only tried to split the double team once and was successful and then wet the bed. A very passive weak performance from a "MVP" player.. very bad game from him.

I would rather see that Tony now than in the playoffs but I still don't think the Spurs have a fix. I thought having Diaw act as secondary ball handler was a good way to counter when the other team keys in on him. There's no reason Kawhi can't do the same thing.

Kool Bob Love
03-31-2013, 11:44 PM
How is that even a question?

Do you even basketball?

Spurs 4 The Win
03-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Spo has been a great coach since the refs have started playing 8 v 5 with him every game. Not hard when you have three extra players at your disposal.
A 3 year old retarded infant with dwarfism could coach the heat to a title.

UZER
03-31-2013, 11:57 PM
How is that even a question?

Do you even basketball?

How is THAT even a question? :lol

lefty
04-01-2013, 12:02 AM
He was a poor coach the past few years, but he has gradually progressed to slightly above average..

He learned to run pick&rolls and screens like the rest of the NBA does, last year, tbh..
He took a shitty Miami team that only had Wade - the rest was shit - to the playoffs

He was pretty good IMO

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
He took a shitty Miami team that only had Wade - the rest was shit - to the playoffs

He was pretty good IMO

So have many shitty coaches, including Mike Brown, tbh..

Spurs 4 The Win
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM

He was pretty good IMO

Yeah in the East that is not a big deal at all.... Below .500 teams can get in the playoffs in that shit conference lol

lefty
04-01-2013, 12:05 AM
So have many shitty coaches, including Mike Brown, tbh..But that Heat roster was waayyyy worse than the Cavs TBH

Chris16
04-01-2013, 01:08 AM
But that Heat roster was waayyyy worse than the Cavs TBH

In 2009 the Heat won 44 games, judging by the talent on that team, that's how many games you'd expect them to win that year.

In 2010 they won 47 games. The team seeded below them Milwaukee won 46 games, the Heat and Bucks were practically on the same level that year so again the Heat didn't really overachieve or anything.

T Park
04-01-2013, 01:10 AM
He also doesn't demand players get over themselves while not having got over himself yet.

God you freaking people have to let it go...

UZER
04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
God you freaking people have to let it go...

let what go?

Obstructed_View
04-01-2013, 03:53 AM
http://edgecast.metatube-files.buscafs.com/uploads/videos/image/pic_1218226590.jpg
Leave Pop alooonnne!

Horse
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
I remember everyone calling him Mike Brown Jr. for the first 2 years of the Big 3 era, now all of a sudden he's even more of a coaching nightmare for Popovich than Phil Jackson was. A bunch of Heat role players destroyed the Spurs lineup today, even the Lakers role players in the Phil Jackson era weren't capable of doing that.

:bang
Yeah he was brilliant when the heat starters played our bench. Yeah I realize the heat won that game. But why can't you people understand this was the exact same scenerio only we didn't get the phantom call to get the win.

z0sa
04-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Great teammates are much more important than coaching, tbh

Dex
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Spurs lost on a three-pointer from Bosh. If you're going to give them a shot, that's the one you want them taking. I didn't lose any sleep over it.