PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Manu to hang it up?

ThaBigFundamental21
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
I know this question gets asked from time to time. But this is getting painful to watch. I love Manu, but when is he ever going to be healthy to contribute? It's been years now. He is getting hurt constantly and sadly his play is starting to fade now. He used to be the guy that could put us over the top, and you would wait from him to return knowing he was going to take the team to another level. Now Pop is saying he could be out WEEKS! What does everyone think? I know you have all seen the graphic. But it just keeps getting bigger.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/01/12-13ManuInjuries.jpg (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/01/12-13ManuInjuries-406x600.jpg)

If the above graphic is a little too hard to read, here is the raw text version:
Since making his debut with the Spurs in 2002, Manu Ginobili has become known for three things: Winning, flair and injuries. The Argentine shooting guard — nicknamed “El Contusion” early in his career — has missed 142 regular season games with 28 injuries and one illness while being held out of a handful of others by head coach Gregg Popovich. (That doesn’t include a broken nose suffered in the 2010 playoffs and a fractured forearm that hampered him in the 2011 postseason.) Express-News staff writer Dan McCarney charts the Spurs’ history, which remains shockingly good at 90-52 (.634), when Ginobili has been forced out of the lineup:
2002-03: Sprained right ankle (11 games); bruised ribs (one game); DNP-CD (one game). Spurs went 10-3.
2003-04: Strained back (five games). Spurs went 4-1.
2004-05: Strained neck (one game); bruised right thigh (one game); strained right groin (five games); DNP-CD (one game). Spurs went 6-2.
2005-06: Bone bruise, right ankle (two games); sprained right foot (eight games); sprained right ankle (three games); left calf/quadriceps contusions (one game); left calf/shin contusions (three games). Spurs went 12-5
2006-07: Bruised back (four games); stomach virus (one game); shin contusion (two games). Spurs went 2-5.
2007-08: Sprained left index finger (five games); strained left groin (three games). Spurs went 5-3.
2008-09: Torn ligament, left ankle (12 games); left hip contusion (one game); sore right ankle (19 games); stress fracture, right ankle (six games plus playoffs). Spurs went 22-16.
2009-10: Left groin strain (five games); back spasms (one game); DNP-CD (one game); broke nose against Dallas in the playoffs. Spurs went 4-3.
2010-11: Left quadriceps contusion (one game); DNP-CD (one game); fractured right forearm in final regular season game. Spurs went 0-2.
2011-12: Fractured right hand (22 games); strained left oblique (five games); tight right hip flexor (one game); DNP-CD (four games). Spurs went 22-10.
2012-13: Back spasms (two games); DNP-CD (one game); bruised left quadriceps (one game); strained left hamstring (TBD). Spurs are 3-2.

BatManu20
04-01-2013, 12:59 AM
He'll take a huge pay cut this offseason and sign a 2 year deal like he's stated he wants to do. He might not play that second year, but we have at least one more year of Manu, which we should be happy with. This guy is a future HOFer and his #20 will be in the rafters one day. Appreciate him, even if his production has significantly decreased over the last year. He'll play a lot less minutes next year I'm sure, but Manu, along with Tim, will be gone before long. Soak it in while you can.

Sean Cagney
04-01-2013, 01:00 AM
He'll take a huge pay cut this offseason and sign a 2 year deal like he's stated he wants to do. He might not play that second year, but we have at least one more year of Manu, which we should be happy with. This guy is a future HOFer and his #20 will be in the rafters one day. Appreciate him, even if his production has significantly decreased over the last year. He'll play a lot less minutes next year I'm sure, but Manu, along with Tim, will be gone before long. Soak it in while you can.

:(

T Park
04-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Its all up to him, if he wants to, fine, if not come on back.

The guy still makes clutch shots, the guy still plays clutch down the stretches of games as evidenced against Denver.

If they can play him for 15 or 20 mins the last couple of regular season games, they will be fine.

Hell if he has to be worked in vs Utah, or the Lakers, or Mavericks thats fine too. They shouldn't need huge performances out of him for those three.

Leonard is slowly, but not as quickly as I would like, picking up the slack.

ElNono
04-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Enjoy him while he's still around...

superjames1992
04-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Manu is going to score 18+ PPG in our key playoff series, tbh, just like last year against OKC.

Johnny RIngo
04-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Manu is going to score 18+ PPG in our key playoff series, tbh, just like last year against OKC.

Manu didn't do shit last year against OKC except get owned by James Harden

chazley
04-01-2013, 05:27 AM
Granted, not the optimal comparison, but people were saying same thing about Tim. Give him a chance for the playoffs, we cannot win a championship without him.

biskvito
04-01-2013, 06:46 AM
No, it's time to Hang tough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m31t5-pwZws

cd98
04-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Wish we could tank next year and get into the Wiggins/Parker sweepstakes.

SenorSpur
04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
As much as I love Manu and have enjoyed him as a Spur, it is truly painful watching him play at this point. He's clearly struggling trying to do the things he used to do. No longer can he whiz by opponents and get to the rack, at will. While he still has flashes of his old self and can still make the occasional game-changing play, his turnovers and forced errors are costing the team valuable possessions - something the Spurs can ill-afford in a playoff series. It's clear that his skills are in a major decline and his body is literally breaking down on him, given the numerous injuries he's sustained. Obviously, the decision is his and his alone, but personally, I'm of the opinion that he should strongly consider retirement after this season.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-01-2013, 08:39 AM
To make it clear. I'm not counting him out, and I don't want him to retire yet. I do want him to take a big pay cut.

superjames1992
04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Manu didn't do shit last year against OKC except get owned by James Harden
Too bad your statement contracts with reality.

34 points in game five? LOL!

TheGoldStandard
04-01-2013, 08:56 AM
When Manu hurt his quad he got a vision of the flux capacitor and told Pop that he was hurt so he could go into the locker room and start working on it. He called up Christopher Lloyd who told him it was just a movie but Manu really believes he can go back in time and get his former self to show up.

UZER
04-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Dude can still be an important piece, but he needs to recognize his body can't handle what he used to do any more. Manu has always been a good shooter when he sets his feet. He needs to change his game to this roll because this team desperately needs clutch outside shooting, ala ray Allen. It will prolong his career.

We all give Kobe shit for being stubborn and not realizing he's getting old, but Manu is doing the same thing right now. For the good of the team he needs to change his game so he doesn't miss every other game.

UZER
04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I've been frustrated with Manu all year because he is such a smart player, but he's been really dumb and way to careless with possessions right now, almost as if to prove to himself he can still play like he's 25.

He's better than that and doesn't deserve to go out like this. He's just being stubborn.

Thread
04-01-2013, 10:04 AM

That's it. And that's all.

SenorSpur
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Dude can still be an important piece, but he needs to recognize his body can't handle what he used to do any more. Manu has always been a good shooter when he sets his feet. He needs to change his game to this roll because this team desperately needs clutch outside shooting, ala ray Allen. It will prolong his career.

We all give Kobe shit for being stubborn and not realizing he's getting old, but Manu is doing the same thing right now. For the good of the team he needs to change his game so he doesn't miss every other game.

I like the idea of Manu changing his game. The question with him, as with Kobe, is would he?

TE
04-01-2013, 10:28 AM

That's it. And that's all.

UZER
04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I like the idea of Manu changing his game. The question with him, as with Kobe, is would he?

He has no other option at this point. He will be out of the league if he doesn't. But he has earned the right to go out like he wants...just like Kobe.

Captivus
04-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Change Manu for Bonner in the title.

DeadlyDynasty
04-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Yes, he has osteoporosis

rjv
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM

i would take him at half his current salary. i really can't see another team investing much more than that in him as there is so much risk involved with him. if signed, we need and must bring in or continue to develop a player who would esentially take over manu's current status as one of the major cogs. manu would have to be relegated to the status of a crafty and skilled veteran who is no more than a role player. we just can't afford to give him any more value than that next season.

DapDaGenius
04-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm just waiting for Nando or Adam Hanga to take his place. :downspin:

BatManu20
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
i would take him at half his current salary. i really can't see another team investing much more than that in him as there is so much risk involved with him. if signed, we need and must bring in or continue to develop a player who would esentially take over manu's current status as one of the major cogs. manu would have to be relegated to the status of a crafty and skilled veteran who is no more than a role player. we just can't afford to give him any more value than that next season.

He just declared for the draft today. One of my favorite players in the draft, Spurs should try to move up and draft him. Will likely go in the 15-25 range. He's only 18 but has a huge ceiling and can score the ball. Kind of a poor man's Dwyane Wade in that he's only 6'4" but super athletic and plays bigger with his 6'10 wingspan. Loves to slash to the basket and his shot is improving. Would be a great piece for the future, too.

http://ksrcollege.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/archie-goodwin-dunk-3_4_r560.jpg

kaji157
04-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow men, some fans are shit.
Ginobili was the player least benefited of platying with Duncan, for almost 15 years, he was the player selected ( even whith a prime duncan) to go and crash his body towards defenders to get a layup or a foul in crunch time.
He´s no Kobe who takes fadeaway jumpers (and make them) his high percent shoot has always benn the layup in traffic and thats where he took most of the toll on his body.
Not to say he has shared the court a lot less with starters with teams clogging onto him as he played with a variety of players that wouldn´t make a dleague team. Never ever cryed about it even when it was obvious that playing with those players around him would make defenses play him harder and then shorten his career.
Some here need to think before they talk. Ginobili´s injuries have been mainly because what he brings to the table, players that produce like him on consistent basis and are never injuried are Superstars like Kobe, or LeBron. If Ginobili could play at his prime level for 35 mins a game during the copurse of 82 games the Spurs could have never afforded him.
Right no, there is an article in 82games.com that list him as the clutchest player in the NBA. Take your heads out of your arse.

DMC
04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
He just declared for the draft today. One of my favorite players in the draft, Spurs should try to move up and draft him. Will likely go in the 15-25 range. He's only 18 but has a huge ceiling and can score the ball. Kind of a poor man's Dwyane Wade in that he's only 6'4" but super athletic and plays bigger with his 6'10 wingspan. Loves to slash to the basket and his shot is improving. Would be a great piece for the future, too.

http://ksrcollege.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/archie-goodwin-dunk-3_4_r560.jpg

Spurs have enough small players who "play bigger".

There's no one coming out of college or HS in the next few years to make a difference in SA. They are a built team on their way out, and they are taking their time going.

TheGoldStandard
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
You know I don't mind a 6'4 SG as long as he stays a shooting guard, Kawhi at the 3 and hopefully they can actually draft a big or trade for one.

Budkin
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Fuck no. Stop starting these threads.

BackHome
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
I've been frustrated with Manu all year because he is such a smart player, but he's been really dumb and way to careless with possessions right now, almost as if to prove to himself he can still play like he's 25.

He's better than that and doesn't deserve to go out like this. He's just being stubborn.

Can you say Contract Year - While I don't think that money is that big of an issue I think it has to do that he wants to be talked about like he is a starter. Your right it is a pride/stubborn but the at least his body is not as bad as SJAK - I love both players but it is hard to watch them play it like watching a old washed up champ taking on the new upcoming boxer. Always ends badly...

TMTTRIO
04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
he's not a starter and he's never been a starter so why would that matter to him?