PDA

View Full Version : Game-winning shot: Who is more clutch - Tony or Manu?

jag
04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Final possession, tied or down by no more than 3 points, which player should have the ball in their hands or take the last shot? Which player is more "clutch?"
Tony or Manu (For the sake of this thread we are not including Tim in this discussion)

According to Spursfan: Duncan and Manu (especially Manu) are the most "clutch" players on the Spurs. Tony is unreliable and not mentally tough enough to handle high-pressure situations. Fair enough. Let's compare the numbers over each player's career.

There are a few different ways to judge "clutchness" and people always argue over which parameters legitimately define clutch situations. That being said, I'm sure most everyone will agree that the most clutch situation in basketball is a game-winning or game-tying shot during the final possession.

Criteria:
- 24 seconds or less left in game (4th Quarter or Overtime)
- Spurs down by 3 points, 2 points, 1 point or tie game
- A made shot ties the game or takes lead
- Includes regular season and playoffs
- FTA include those taken while Spurs are down 1 point, 2 points or game is tied

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5813/tmcli.jpg

Manu is better at getting to the line - which has been fairly obvious. But other than that, I'm not exactly sure how he's a better option to have the ball for the last possession. Tony shoots better, distributes better and takes better care of the ball.

Final Totals in game-winning or tying situations:
Tony Parker: 30 points (two 3-pts), FG 36.8%, 7 assists, 1 TO
Manu Ginobili: 27 points, FG 25.6%, 4 assists, 4 TO

TheGoldStandard
04-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I'd take Duncan above all, he's always been clutch

hooperflash
04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I'd take Duncan above all, he's always been clutch

For the sake of this thread we are not including Tim Duncan in this discussion

Tony is my answer to the OP, he's in his prime while Ginobili isn't :depressed

TheGoldStandard
04-01-2013, 11:31 AM
If I had to choose between Manu and TP I'd probably go with TP. He's had the most recent run of hitting shots.

Spur|n|Austin
04-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Down by 3, I choose Manu.

Down by 2 or less, I choose Tony.

dylankerouac
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I'll take Tony with the ball at the end of the game every game. It's his team, his time and he's at his peak. He may still be a little out of shape from being out for 3 weeks but he needs Pop's complete trust if Tony, Tim and Co. are to lead this team to a ring.

I am more worried about that MJ needed to lose some playoff series before he became cold blooded and won some rings. Lebron had to take some playoff and Championship losses before becoming a cold blooded player. Dirk had that championship loss and some playoff series' before he became cold blooded on the biggest stage and led his team to a ring. Usually a top dog has to lose some major contests before they develop that cold bloodedness to be able to take over a game and seal the victory. Don't get me wrong, the Spurs have obviously had some playoff losses recently. But I don't think that Tony has been top dog long enough to realize his importance and begin to demand the ball and close games.

This team and the Spurs don't have the time to wait around for Tony to completely develop and embrace it at the end of the game. Without that type of leader I'm worried about how far this team can go.

ElNono
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Attacking the rim in those situation and being able to draw fouls is huge. I'll take that over a jumpshot every time. I would also include in the sampling being up 1, 2, or 3.. making a basket that makes it a two possession game is also clutch, IMO. (and before I get yelled at, it's completely possible that Tony ranks better under those circumstances too, I haven't looked).

ElNono
04-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Also, a bit dated (1/4 of the OP sample), but different analysis here: http://www.82games.com/clutchplay3.htm

ElNono
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
BTW, at this day and age, I probably would pick TD 9/10 times, TP next...

emanueldavidginobili
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Right now TP, overally Manu he can get to the line and get a open teammate or a hockey assist forget the stats. Also its a lot more than about scoring and assist, Manu has came up with clutch steals blocks charges