PDA

View Full Version : spurs in crunch time

rjv
04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
over the last few games, the spurs have been horrible in the last 2 minutes of close games, and lucky enough to have won a few of them. the concern is on both ends (leaving wide open three point shooters or poor transition defense) but is more pronounced on the offensive side. against the rockets, we blew a chance to go up by 6 with just over a minute and wind up losing. against the clippers tim gets off a tough shot and we get that game after blowing a 5 point lead in less than a minute. against denver we had chances to put the game away and almost lost (altough we did play solid D on that last possession). and last night we had a chance to go up by five with just under a minute left and wind up losing. my biggest concern at this time is: do we have a go to guy at this time? what has happened to our offense when it comes down to that possession we need to get a score on? with playoffs approaching we can not afford to continue at this rate.

bklynspursfan
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I think they're experimenting what works, and what doesn't work for Tim, Tony, & Manu. We've seen them have success getting open looks for Green and Kawhi that have won us games already. (that might be easiest to pull off since defenses won't always expect that) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Early on in the season, the plays drawn up late in games were great. I think they're practicing what works and what doesn't in live game almost. I think it showed in that Golden State game where they tried to run the same exact play for Manu 2x at crucial moments

BatManu20
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
We're going to Tim too much in crunch time imo. I mean yea he's obviously been unreal this season but he's lost a lot of his athleticism so his shots are always tough, contested ones in the post. That doesn't work in crunch time. The Spurs are great, but they have one major weakness; As soon as you take away the PnR, they really struggle offensively. Teams have figured this out. And they'll be seeing this against the good teams in the playoffs. In short, Spurs aren't winning anything, and Miami is, unfortunately.

superjames1992
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
over the last few games, the spurs have been horrible in the last 2 minutes of close games, and lucky enough to have won a few of them. the concern is on both ends (leaving wide open three point shooters or poor transition defense) but is more pronounced on the offensive side. against the rockets, we blew a chance to go up by 6 with just over a minute and wind up losing. against the clippers tim gets off a tough shot and we get that game after blowing a 5 point lead in less than a minute. against denver we had chances to put the game away and almost lost (altough we did play solid D on that last possession). and last night we had a chance to go up by five with just under a minute left and wind up losing. my biggest concern at this time is: do we have a go to guy at this time? what has happened to our offense when it comes down to that possession we need to get a score on? with playoffs approaching we can not afford to continue at this rate.
Well, we are missing Manu, so it makes sense. Tony has always been awful in the clutch. Timmy usually does well, though he's struggled more lately in the end game (though that shot against LAC was money).

rjv
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, we are missing Manu, so it makes sense. Tony has always been awful in the clutch. Timmy usually does well, though he's struggled more lately in the end game (though that shot against LAC was money).

manu was actually around for all but the last 2 games. he actually was part of the problem-although he did have one clutch shot against denver.

rjv
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
We're going to Tim too much in crunch time imo. I mean yea he's obviously been unreal this season but he's lost a lot of his athleticism so his shots are always tough, contested ones in the post. That doesn't work in crunch time. The Spurs are great, but they have one major weakness; As soon as you take away the PnR, they really struggle offensively. Teams have figured this out. And they'll be seeing this against the good teams in the playoffs. In short, Spurs aren't winning anything, and Miami is, unfortunately.

we're going to have to get some three pointers to bail us out but i am steadily losing confidence in the players that we usually rely on to make these shots.

superjames1992
04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
manu was actually around for all but the last 2 games. he actually was part of the problem-although he did have one clutch shot against denver.
I'll be damned if I'm letting pesky facts get in the way of my narrative, bro.