PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rank These Commissioners

KoolAid Mans Brother
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
David Stern
- Has turned the NBA into the WWE. The most corrupt sport going right now. Stern cares about the success of about 5 teams, and will do whatever he can to protect them.

Roger Goodell
- Hated by over 80% of the players. He has implemented so many new "safety" rules that the game will soon be flag football. He is even considering eliminating kickoffs. His handling of bountygate was overturned by a federal judge because he did such a shitty job with it.

Bud Selig
- Under his watch, the popularity of baseball and television ratings have gone down the toilet and the integrity of the game has turned to shit. At one point, it was believed that over 70% of all players were on performance enhancing drugs with him as commissioner.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2013, 08:34 PM
1. Stern, easily..globalized the NBA, cleaned up the league's image, has helped move the NBA to the #2 sport in North America, has avoided any major scandals, etc..

2. Goodell..he's egotistical and arrogant, he gets this spot by default, tbh..running the NFL isn't difficult, everybody will continue to watch..he has emphasized player safety, he deserves credit for that IMO..

3. Selig..mishandled the entire steroid era, tbh..

DeadlyDynasty
04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Stern is easily the best commish of all the major sports, and has been for quite some time

irishock
04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
4. Bettman

Clipper Nation
04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
1. Stern
2. Selig
3. Goodell

The gap between Selig and Goodell is razor-thin, but Goodell gets the nod for worst out of the three because of how he's destroying the game he's in charge of with poorly-thought-out rule changes in a pathetic attempt to dodge lawsuits, tbh....

That being said, Gary Bettman is the worst commissioner in sports....

whitemamba
04-02-2013, 01:58 AM
1. Stern
2. Selig
3. Goodell

The gap between Selig and Goodell is razor-thin, but Goodell gets the nod for worst out of the three because of how he's destroying the game he's in charge of with poorly-thought-out rule changes in a pathetic attempt to dodge lawsuits, tbh....

That being said, Gary Bettman is the worst commissioner in sports....

this, that guy is a fucking dumbass.. i feel bad for hockey tbh..

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Stern took the NBA from the brink of insolvency to its most profitable time period. Even if it means he turned it into a star driven basketball version of the WWE, he works for the owners and he's done a great job at helping there bottom line.

Before people rave about Goodell and how profitable the NFL is, my dog could be the NFL commissioner and it'd be profitable. The NFL and football sells itself way more than the NBA and basketball ever can.

BatManu20
04-02-2013, 02:08 AM
I hate Stern and his Laker-favoring antics but the little Jew turned the NBA around during it's darkest hour. If not for him, the NBA might not even exist. And he's turned it into a huge revenue machine. He's #1.

Selig's last just because it took him forever to start drug testing and by then it was too late. The steroid era has been an absolute mess for MLB. There are asterisks everywhere in that sport.

Goodell's #2 by default. He's solid and has cracked down on dangerous hits, although some may say a bit too much.

Mal
04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
Stern did everything to cause more people to watch NBA. He`s biased point of view pisses me, but he`s buisness point of view is good.
I am new to NFL, but those flags are irritaiting. In three years of watching I only saw one big hit, that I can remeber. And it was in college.
I dont give a shit about baseball.

Jacob1983
04-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Bettman has had a hat trick of lockouts under his reign of terror. However, I would have to say that Stern is a bigger piece of shit than Bettman. Stern only gets a pass from the media and some of his koolaid drinkers because he's been lucky to been the boss of the NBA in the Johnson-Bird-Jordan era.

You can't really complain about the popularity and tv ratings of baseball. Some people just don't have the patience for it. Some people want to watch the American Idol of sports which is the NFL. Football is probably the only sport where it is dominant in popularity in most areas of America. The NHL is never going to be popular in the south. The same could be said for baseball and basketball.

lefty
04-02-2013, 02:20 AM
4. Bettman
lol Stern is worse than Bettman

Except for helping that spit leftover face wearing 87 for Pittsburgh, NHL is not rigged TBH

I know I know, 3 lockouts under him, but fuck all those greedy SOBs anyway

Jacob1983
04-02-2013, 02:23 AM
The NHL has more parity than the NBA. Yeah, that's right Screamin' A. Smith. Fuckin' dumbass still thinks hockey has ties and then brags about the fact that he didn't know Columbus has an NHL team.

Splits
04-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Have to disagree about Selig, baseball is an unwatchable sport unless the guys are juiced. He wasn't left with many options, either let the juice or be ignored. At least he got ratings and all his rich friends richer during those years. I mean that's the success criteria for any dictator, right?

Jacob1983
04-02-2013, 03:09 AM
I have to disagree that steroids baseball was a ratings grabber. The ratings of the World Series were pretty good in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. Since the Braves beat the Indians in the World Series in 1995, the ratings have decreased big time. As stated, baseball is not for people that are impatient and simple minded. If you want to watch 2 or 3 plays every 5 minutes, then watch football.

spurraider21
04-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Selig easily the worst of the 3. Pick your poison for 1 and 2. Goodell didn't really improve the NFL.

To his credit, Stern learned how to market the NBA, by latching onto Superstars and turning them into Gods. Magic, Bird, MJ, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, Durant. We dislike him because we aren't one of the teams that have benefited from his meddling. I personally would go Goodell over Stern because Roger doesn't tamper with his sport.

lefty
04-02-2013, 04:36 AM
Lol at Stern turning Magic Bird and Mike into Gods.

If anything they made Stern

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Selig easily the worst of the 3. Pick your poison for 1 and 2. Goodell didn't really improve the NFL.

To his credit, Stern learned how to market the NBA, by latching onto Superstars and turning them into Gods. Magic, Bird, MJ, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, Durant. We dislike him because we aren't one of the teams that have benefited from his meddling. I personally would go Goodell over Stern because Roger doesn't tamper with his sport.
It's not as blatant as Stern, but Goodell does plenty of meddling for popular teams. The Packers, Patriots, Steelers, etc. get away with plenty of bullshit. There's a deliberate effort by the NFL to market certain teams, like the way anyone who watches football gets beaten over the head with how :cryclassy:cry the Steelers' organization and the Rooney family is. Goodell

Stern also meddles because it's what the NBA owners want and need. The NBA finals needs to have players and teams people actually give a shit about, it's not like the superbowl where the entire country watches regardless of who's playing.

Clipper Nation
04-02-2013, 10:35 AM
lol Stern is worse than Bettman

Except for helping that spit leftover face wearing 87 for Pittsburgh, NHL is not rigged TBH

I know I know, 3 lockouts under him, but fuck all those greedy SOBs anyway
It's not just the lockouts with Bettman, it's the Phoenix Coyotes fiasco, the Sun Belt expansion fiasco, his utter disdain for Canada (THE biggest market for hockey), somehow managing to lose the ESPN TV deal and settling for shit-ass Versus, and letting all sorts of scumbags ranging from bank fraudsters to the Japanese mafia own teams....

Yes, the NBA has the most questionable officiating of all sports, but nothing Stern has ever done is even close to Bettman's ineptitude, tbh.....

Thread
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
^Only pussies & assholes blame the officiating.

Clipper Nation
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Seriously, could anyone imagine this happening in the NBA, MLB, or NFL?

By all accounts, the Lightning's plunge to the bottom of the NHL was due to the way Kokusai Green ran the team. Rumors abounded as early as the team's second season that the Lightning were on the brink of bankruptcy and that the team was part of a money laundering scheme for the yakuza (Japanese crime families).[6] Its scouting operation consisted of Tony Esposito and several satellite dishes. The Internal Revenue Service investigated the team in 1994 and 1995, and nearly slapped a lien on the team for $750,000 in back taxes. The situation led longtime NHL broadcaster and writer Stan Fischler to call the Lightning a "skating vaudeville show".[7]

Even in their first playoff season, the team was awash in red ink and Kokusai Green was looking to sell at any price. However, the sale was hampered by the team's murky ownership structure; even some team officials (including Crisp) didn't know who really owned the team.[6] Another problem was that Kokusai Green initially demanded $230 million for the team, including the lease with the Ice Palace.[7]

It later emerged that Kokusai Green's owner, Takashi Okubo, had never met with Esposito or with NHL officials in person prior to being awarded the Lightning. During his seven years as owner, Okubo never watched his team play, and never even visited Tampa. Esposito never met him personally in his hunt for investors, for instance. Nearly all of Kokusai Green's investment in the team and the Ice Palace came in the form of loans, leaving the team constantly short of cash.[3] At least one prospective buyer pulled out after expressing doubts that Okubo even existed.[6] In fact, the first time anyone connected with the Lightning or the NHL even saw Okubo was in the spring of 1998. Many of Esposito's trades came simply to keep the team above water. The team's financial situation was a considerable concern to NHL officials; rumors surfaced that the league was seriously considering taking control of the team if Okubo failed to find a buyer by the summer of 1998.[7]

Forbes wrote an article in late 1997 calling the Lightning a financial nightmare, with a debt equal to a staggering 236% of its value—the highest of any major North American sports franchise. Even though the Ice Palace was built for hockey and the Lightning were the only major tenant, Forbes called the team's deal with the arena a lemon since it would not result in much revenue for 30 years. It was also behind on paying state sales taxes and federal payroll taxes.[8]

AaronY
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
1. Stern, easily..globalized the NBA, cleaned up the league's image, has helped move the NBA to the #2 sport in North America, has avoided any major scandals, etc..
Is the Nba really more popular than MLB?

irishock
04-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Is the Nba really more popular than MLB?

Worldwide yes

AaronY
04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah, not in North America tho I don't think

HarlemHeat37
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
The NBA has been beating the MLB in Finals vs. World Series ratings in the US since 2008 IIRC..

NBA is also more popular in Canada than the MLB IMO..

Add in the fact that the Yankees are sinking and the Red Sox suck, and the NBA has surpassed baseball IMO..

LnGrrrR
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM

2. Goodell..he's egotistical and arrogant, he gets this spot by default, tbh..running the NFL isn't difficult, everybody will continue to watch..he has emphasized player safety, he deserves credit for that IMO..

3. Selig..mishandled the entire steroid era, tbh..

:lmao Yes, if by emphasized, you mean pulled into that direction, kicking and screaming, all the while trying to add 2 more games to the schedule that players and fans don't particularly seem to care for. Other than that, yeah, he's all about player safety.

AaronY
04-03-2013, 01:51 PM
The NBA has been beating the MLB in Finals vs. World Series ratings in the US since 2008 IIRC..

Add in the fact that the Yankees are sinking and the Red Sox suck, and the NBA has surpassed baseball IMO..
You're right http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/10/tale-of-the-tape-nba-vs-mlb-part-ii/

Latarian Milton
04-03-2013, 08:06 PM

baseball is too complex for most countries outside of the US imho. basketball is simple and easy to play, and that's why it's niggas' favorite sport. baseball, on the other hand, got some complex rules which're obviously beyond the canadians' ability to understand, and you can't expect them to become fans of the game when they don't have no idea how it plays tbh.

japan is the only asian country where there's a sizable baseball fan base, because japs are naturally smarter than other yellows.

LakerHater
12-23-2013, 05:19 PM