PDA

View Full Version : Why Is kawhi Not playing 38 Minutes?

apalisoc_9
04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Take your guess on why pop thinks playing kawhi 30min both regular season and post season is the best way to go?

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
His minutes are limited due to his knee, IIRC..

There's no excuse not to play him around 38 MPG in the playoffs, though..Kawhi needs to make a name for himself in this year's playoffs..

Floyd Pacquiao
04-01-2013, 10:00 PM
because he has "knee tendonitis"

apalisoc_9
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
His minutes are limited due to his knee, IIRC..

There's no excuse not to play him around 38 MPG in the playoffs, though..Kawhi needs to make a name for himself in this year's playoffs..

I didnt see any reason why he was "limited" last year

freetiago
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
some clown will come in here and say Kawhis knee is bothering him
but im guessing theyre missing the 2-3 explosive dunks hes throwing down every game
Popovich has gone soft and thinks he has to ration out minutes to everybody

ThaBigFundamental21
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Why don't you guys just wait to start bitching about playoff rotations when the playoffs actually start? No one said Kawahi wasn't going to play 35+ minutes a game. And no one said Splitter wasn't going to see an increase in his minutes.

Ice009
04-01-2013, 10:35 PM
some clown will come in here and say Kawhis knee is bothering him
but im guessing theyre missing the 2-3 explosive dunks hes throwing down every game
Popovich has gone soft and thinks he has to ration out minutes to everybody

Kawhi has said it every time he has been asked. He said it again very recently (as little as two weeks ago I think) when he was asked. He took time off for it earlier in the season and he has said that it is better, but it is still bothering him and that he will have to deal with it the rest of the season. Even though he as been throwing down some pretty big dunks, I've noticed sometimes that he hasn't been able to dunk when he's had the opportunity, maybe some of those would have been dunks too if he knee was feeling better?

Before you go sprouting off, how about having the correct information.

Brunodf
04-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Pop became soft

hater
04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Bad knee

DesignatedT
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Pop is going to run him ragged in the playoffs.

freetiago
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Kawhi has said it every time he has been asked. He said it again very recently (as little as two weeks ago I think) when he was asked. He took time off for it earlier in the season and he has said that it is better, but it is still bothering him and that he will have to deal with it the rest of the season. Even though he as been throwing down some pretty big dunks, I've noticed sometimes that he hasn't been able to dunk when he's had the opportunity, maybe some of those would have been dunks too if he knee was feeling better?

Before you go sprouting off, how about having the correct information.

Leonard is the king of cliches
he also says everyone is playing through injuries right now
he just misses dunks because it just happens sometimes
missing one dunk then throwing down an explosive dunk over someone the next time
not a knee problem

spurraider21
04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
I didnt see any reason why he was "limited" last year

besides being a rookie?

Ice009
04-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Leonard is the king of cliches
he also says everyone is playing through injuries right now
he just misses dunks because it just happens sometimes
missing one dunk then throwing down an explosive dunk over someone the next time
not a knee problem

Why would Kawhi lie? He's said that it's still been bothering him even as recently as two weeks ago. Would you rather he play 38+ minutes a game now and then sit out 14 games during the playoffs? Don't be stupid, we're not going to ride him 38+ minutes a game during the regular season when his knee isn't 100%.

I'm guessing the goal would be for him to be monitored up until the playoffs so it doesn't get any worse (thus allowing him to play more minutes per game in the playoffs).

TD 21
04-02-2013, 12:48 AM

Sure he is. Pop hasn't run anyone ragged since about '09, when he stopped doing so with Duncan in the playoffs. People will use the knee as the excuse, but we all know he'd do it anyway, because he's become so conditioned to manically/obsessively managing minutes.

This is part of the reason why this team has gradually become mentally weak over the years. Nobody ever pushes through anything, even something that's manageable and by all accounts can't get worse. Meanwhile, 456 year old Bryant continues to play basically unlimited minutes while dealing with 37 ailments and plodding/lumbering Gasol is back after 2 games off with an abdominal tear and playing his usual 35 minutes.

All the coddling sounds great in theory, but it hasn't payed off once. At some point, they need to stop pretending they're smarter than/above everyone else and do what every other team does.

freetiago
04-02-2013, 01:04 AM
^ quality post

Ice009
04-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Sure he is. Pop hasn't run anyone ragged since about '09, when he stopped doing so with Duncan in the playoffs. People will use the knee as the excuse, but we all know he'd do it anyway, because he's become so conditioned to manically/obsessively managing minutes.

This is part of the reason why this team has gradually become mentally weak over the years. Nobody ever pushes through anything, even something that's manageable and by all accounts can't get worse. Meanwhile, 456 year old Bryant continues to play basically unlimited minutes while dealing with 37 ailments and plodding/lumbering Gasol is back after 2 games off with an abdominal tear and playing his usual 35 minutes.

All the coddling sounds great in theory, but it hasn't payed off once. At some point, they need to stop pretending they're smarter than/above everyone else and do what every other team does.

Wrong time for this post. You may have a solid point of discussion here, but the situation with Kawhi is related to his knee IMO. If Kawhi is able to, I am pretty sure he will play a lot more minutes in the playoffs.

jimbo
04-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Wrong time for this post. You may have a solid point of discussion here, but the situation with Kawhi is related to his knee IMO. If Kawhi is able to, I am pretty sure he will play a lot more minutes in the playoffs.

I dunno, past couple years it feels like if there's one thing we should get used to it's that not a whole lot is gonna change from the regular season to the playoffs. This board has gotten hyped up for rotation change/minutes increases that seem "logical" but don't happen.

Hoops Czar
04-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Because the majority of the time, he shoots jumpshots and they have S-jax for that. If Kawhi is going to continue to shoot jumpshots, then he should slip back to 4th option. I'd rather see Green take those shots.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Because the majority of the time, he shoots jumpshots and they have S-jax for that. If Kawhi is going to continue to shoot jumpshots, then he should slip back to 4th option. I'd rather see Green take those shots.

Against the Heat Leornard was 7 for 10 in the paint and 1 for 3 on jumpers/3-pointers. Not exactly living by the jumpshot.

Green's been an ice cube here lately.

Hoops Czar
04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Against the Heat Leornard was 7 for 10 in the paint and 1 for 3 on jumpers/3-pointers. Not exactly living by the jumpshot.

Green's been an ice cube here lately.

That was just one game. I'm talking about a player who averages less than a freethrow and a half per game and people want him to be the third option. Truth be told, Kawhi has more talent in his pinky than Green does in his entire body but you wouldn't know it by watching them play. Green is a pure jumpshooter while Kawhi has a chance to be so much more. He should be in constant attack mode aggressively taking the ball to the rim and either scoring or drawing fouls. He doesn't do it.

And yes, I'm well aware that Green has struggled his last couple of games. He's streaky, you have to take the good with the bad.

ChumpDumper
04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
In an attempt to support Leonard, freetiago threw Leonard under the bus.

Brazil
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
because 2003 jax is back

hater
04-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Green's streaky, you have to take the good with the bad.

why do we have to?

green is a one trick pony, slightly more mobile version than Bonner.

Brazil
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
why do we have to?

green is a one trick pony, slightly more mobile version than Bonner.

the problem is that we don't have a lot of options at the SG spot anyway unless considering Nando

TheGoldStandard
04-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Kawhi better watch out or Gary Neal will take his minutes too..

DesignatedT
04-04-2013, 11:38 PM

42 minutes tonight. Expect more of that from here on out and into the playoffs.

apalisoc_9
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
42 minutes tonight. Expect more of that from here on out and into the playoffs.

jackson was out tonight.

DesignatedT
04-04-2013, 11:43 PM
jackson was out tonight.

I don't see that making a big difference come playoff time. Leonard will be on the floor.

DesignatedT
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM

Back to back 40 minute games for Leonard.

Brunodf
04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Back to back 40 minute games for Leonard.
Props for Pop