View Full Version : NBA won't fine Heat for sitting three starters

ThaBigFundamental21
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
NBA won't fine Heat for sitting three starters

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/common/medialib/264/765201.jpg
The Heat held out LeBron James (left), Mario Chalmers (middle) and Dwyane Wade from Sunday's game in San Antonio because of injuries. (Rob Grabowski-USA Today Sports)

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/common/medialib/264/515006.jpg (http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/pages/chris_tomasson_index/)
ARCHIVE (http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/pages/chris_tomasson_index/) | EMAIL (http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/pages/chris_tomasson_index/)
Chris Tomasson is a general assignment columnist for FOX Sports and FOX Sports Florida, bringing fans an inside look at their favorite teams in South Florida. Chris spent the last decade covering the NBA, most recently as a Senior NBA writer for AOL FanHouse.

April 1, 2013, 3:33pm

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/common/global_images/spacer.gif
The Miami Heat will not incur any discipline for sitting three starters Sunday at San Antonio, an NBA spokesman said Monday.

The NBA believes, a source said, the situation is totally different from when it fined the San Antonio Spurs $250,000 for sending four starters home from a Nov. 29 game at Miami. Those players — Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Danny Green — were sent home on a commercial flight before the game and did not have listed injuries.

The Heat sat out LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Mario Chalmers. They all had listed injuries and were at the arena for Miami’s surprising 88-86 win.

The Heat said James suffered a right hamstring strain in the first half Friday at New Orleans, but he played in the second half. Wade injured his right ankle last Wednesday at Chicago but played against the Hornets. And Chalmers had sat out against the Hornets because of a sprained right ankle.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra told reporters before Sunday’s game that the three Heat starters sitting out had nothing to do with what the Spurs and coach Gregg Popovich had done in November in Miami.

“I could see how you guys can draw that conclusion, but no," Spoesltra said.

It remains to be seen whether James, Wade or Chalmers will play Tuesday in the Heat's home game against New York.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at [email protected] ([email protected]) or on Twitter @christomasson

Spur|n|Austin
04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Oh you can see how people draw that conclusion, Spoesltra? Bunch of bullshit malarkey is what this is.

Blake
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
The Spurs should never have been fined. The Heat shouldn't have to lie to avoid being fined.

CubanMustGo
04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Tell the truth = fine
Lie = no fine

That's Stern in a nutshell.

SenorSpur
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
A surprise to no one.

UZER
04-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Tell the truth = fine
Lie = no fine

That's Stern in a nutshell.

Except refs...they have permission to lie every game and not be accountable or pay fines.

Budkin
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
The worst part is that they fucking won on top of all that.

sammy
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Fucking bull shit is what this is! Can you say double standard anyone? What a travesty!

biskvito
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
they just trying to give the Spurs an easy win at home... not their fault it didn't work... :downspin:

Thread
04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Both of ya's were pussies & assholes for doing it.

Jag-offs.

Spur|n|Austin
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Both of ya's were pussies & assholes for doing it.

Jag-offs.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=1

I think you're lost..

G-Nob
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
It's interpretational and grounds for legal action to recoup the $250K if the Spurs choose to do so. I do not believe an injured player must stay in the arena, per the CBA. It is my understanding the players can recieve medical treatment in the locker room while the game is in progress. In the Spurs' instance in Miami, because it was a road game, the difference can't be justified.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
No one wants to see Lebron and Wade play anyway...but we denied Miami fans of the chance to see Danny work his magic. Perfectly justified fine/no-fine situations, IMO.

Cane
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Tbh the Heat owner did get fined $500k for some tweets during the lockout. Another $250k and he might not be able to afford another sinking cruise liner

hater
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
The Heat came in and took a big steaming pile of shit on the entire city of San Antonio. Let's call it for what it is and move on.

Thread
04-02-2013, 02:19 PM
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=1

I think you're lost..

I don't do LG. I do this Board. I do no other Board.

It's my religion.

superbigtime
04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Damn now because of their 'legitimate' injuries, I can't sue.

heyheymymy
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
laughably ridiculous double standard. this was the heats "only appearance this season" in san antonio, on a (holiday) weekend, and the fans deserved to see the stars

exact same situation. where is the fine? You knew the spurs players weren't going to play about as quickly and you learned the heat stars were out.

what a joke. the bosh 3 wasn't the game winner, the cole FT's were. yeaaah, im salty.... but this is getting pretty crazy.

Arcadian
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
There is a simple, objective reason why the Spurs were fined and the Heat weren't.

The Spurs chose to sit their players and list them as "DNP - CD."

The Heat chose to sit their players and list them as "injured."

That's it. That's the difference. When you rest players for no reason, shit can happen. All the Spurs had to do was lie about their players being injured, and there would be no fine. It's stupid, but that's how this works, and they should know that.

HarlemHeat37
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I agree with Arcadian, along with the fact that TNT probably threw a fit over Pop sitting his starters, whereas this past game was on NBA TV..

MSPaint
04-02-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm glad they didn't fine the Heat. It was ridiculous to fine the Spurs in the first place, and it'd be even more ridiculous had they fined the Heat. A lot of media types are trying to pin it as Miami's "payback" to the Spurs, when actually, it's a show of respect. Why else would LBJ and Wade be present on the bench for all the camera's against the Knicks, and choose to remain in the locker room against SA? Perhaps Riley's own FU to the commish? Knowing full well he wouldn't get fined?

I still wish we could have won, but Miami showed up, Spurs didn't. Either way the Heatles followed it up with a loss to the not as good anymore Knicks.

Darkwaters
04-02-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm doubtful that the Spurs ever actually paid the fine. Stern was on very shaky legal grounding as it was when he made his proclamation of "significant sanctions." My guess is they mutually agreed for the fine to go away without fanfare or publicity. Stern would have had no ability to defend it in court.

ElNono
04-03-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm doubtful that the Spurs ever actually paid the fine. Stern was on very shaky legal grounding as it was when he made his proclamation of "significant sanctions." My guess is they mutually agreed for the fine to go away without fanfare or publicity. Stern would have had no ability to defend it in court.

IIRC, Stern can fine anybody in the league for anything he wishes up to $1 million. Don't remember the exact league rule #, but somebody unearthed it while the issue was ongoing. In other words, the Spurs likely did pay the fine, and there was no legal issue.

Venti Quattro
04-03-2013, 12:54 AM
:cry :cry :cry

They already have the #1 spot on lock so last Sunday's game was immaterial.

OrEmuN
04-03-2013, 03:06 AM
There is a simple, objective reason why the Spurs were fined and the Heat weren't.

Stern should go back and fine the Spurs for doing

DNP - Old

Mal
04-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Stern should go back and fine the Spurs for doing

DNP - Old

Who fill it in boxscore ? Pop ? Pop`s assistance ? Table refs ? I wonder who put this DNP - old

Captivus
04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Has anyone of the Spurs organization complained about this? If no one has, that means the Spurs don’t care if they are treated like idiots, becuase thats exactly what they are, IDIOTS.

rascal
04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Fucking bull shit is what this is! Can you say double standard anyone? What a travesty!

Had the spurs listed injuries they would not have been fined. No double standard.

rascal
04-03-2013, 08:35 AM

That's it. That's the difference. When you rest players for no reason, shit can happen. All the Spurs had to do was lie about their players being injured, and there would be no fine. It's stupid, but that's how this works, and they should know that.

Good post, this sums it all up.

TheGoldStandard
04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Miami wanted to list Bosh as injured but Menstrual cramps wouldn't fly.

G-Nob
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM

I believe one of the avenues the league uses to impose fines is to withhold tv money. I read somewhere that tv money is paid in installments and fines imposed are deducted. I believe the same applies to player's salaries where it's automatically deducted from their pay.

MSPaint
04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Miami wanted to list Bosh as injured but Menstrual cramps wouldn't fly.

We may one day see that if the Cubes decides he's gonna draft Griner.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/9127664/mark-cuban-give-brittney-griner-opportunity-dallas-mavericks