PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Did Magic pass HIV when conceiving his now 20 year old kid "Thread"?

Fabbs
04-02-2013, 11:11 AM
http://www.avert.org/pregnancy.htm

^^Interesting topic on whether or not HIV can be passed on to babies.
"Without treatment, around 15-30 percent of babies born to HIV-infected women will become infected with HIV during pregnancy and delivery. A further 5-20 percent will become infected through breastfeeding." I do not know how accurate this is, but if true its good news in that 70-85% of babies in womb will not get HIV.

After a physical before the 1991–92 NBA season, Johnson discovered that he had tested positive for HIV. In a press conference held on November 7, 1991.
Cookie Johnson was already pregnant with Andre Johnson. Andre did not get HIV.
Earvin "Thread" Johnson was conceived by Cookie and Magic (allegedly) in about 1993.
http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef017c38489105970b-800wi

http://static.hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/magic-johnson-isiah-thomas-kiss-425.jpg

whitemamba
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Great Thread. HOF

Thread
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
My only regret is he knee jerked and retired needlessly.

Then knee jerked and retired needlessly again.

AIDs had been around for over 12 years when he announced. This country was educated. It was not necessary that he retire the first time. And the second time he retired he was petulant & incoherent.

But, without him I'm still in the darkness. Boston would still own our soul. He ended all that. I'll take that to the grave.

Arnold Toht
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM

AIDs had been around for over 12 years when he announced. This country was educated. It was not necessary that he retire the first time. And the second time he retired he was petulant & incoherent.

But, without him I'm still in the darkness. Boston would still own our soul. He ended all that. I'll take that to the grave.

True. It would be LA Lakers 6 Boston 19 right now without Magic.

Fabbs
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
My jerked had been around for over 12 years...
Proof in hindsight that your boi was perfectly healthy when MJ assrammed him in '91.
Legit. You know nothing about legit.

Thread
04-02-2013, 12:19 PM
True. It would be LA Lakers 6 Boston 19 right now without Magic.

:rolleyes

Fabbs
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM
:rolleyes
Pushed your head back in. :lol

AaronY
04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't think people realiz how much of Magics career was cut off. With his size and skill set he could have played at a high level into his late 30s. Team could've retooled around him

AaronY
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Plus players loved playing with him and of course living in LA they probably would've attracted a ton of talent

Thread
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't think people realiz how much of Magics career was cut off. With his size and skill set he could have played at a high level into his late 30s. Team could've retooled around him

He still could've. HIV/AIDs was not in it's infancy. It had been debunked & fleshed out to a large degree at that juncture. He overreacted as he usually did and let his mouth overload his ass. Rushing to a podium is never wise.

Then when he did return he expected it to be easy and without problems. That was inexcusable and lazy.

Without him though we're all locked in an interminable misery. A living Hell. He was torched in the aftermath of '84. Instead of crawling into the same corner that still housed Wilt & West, he instead grabbed the sniveling Jabbar, the broken Worthy and damaged Scott and proclaimed a 100 game grailed quest that ended 9 June 1985 in Massachusetts. He set us all free.

hater
04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
well back then HIV diagnosis was death penalty in about 2-5.

who's gonna keep their full time job under those circunstances :rolleyes

Thread
04-02-2013, 04:28 PM
well back then HIV diagnosis was death penalty in about 2-5.

who's gonna keep their full time job under those circunstances :rolleyes

In '92? Nonsense.

Latarian Milton
04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
most babies don't get injected in the womb which's common knowledge imho. babies who're "born" with hiv are in fact infected during the course of parturition, but that can be easily prevented by the means of caeserean. that's why we leykisians all recommend that hiv test on expectant moms should be made mandatory, as well as the after-birth DNA test on babies

baseline bum
04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
In '92? Nonsense.

The effective cocktails of drugs used to treat HIV didn't start becoming widespread until the mid 90s or so. Back in 92 everyone though Magic would be dead in 3 years.

Fabbs
04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Good news. Dk how up to date it is.

"According to the March of Dimes, new treatments can reduce the risk of a treated mother passing HIV to her baby to a 2 percent or less chance."

ambchang
04-05-2013, 09:47 AM

You've forgotten the Malone treatment?

DMC
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM

The country wasn't educated. The protease inhibitor drugs were in their infancy. It was just out of GRID. You cannot compete in professional sports with a deadly contagious disease that's transmitted through fluid secretions. Blood is everywhere in the world of pro sports, there's no room for HIV.

Sucks, he was still viable, but that's how it goes when you stick your cock in every orifice from here to Tibet.

It was a hard day for me when I found that out. He was my favorite all time, never cared for MJ much.

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
The effective cocktails of drugs used to treat HIV didn't start becoming widespread until the mid 90s or so. Back in 92 everyone though Magic would be dead in 3 years.
He'll never get aids he won the genetic lottery

mavs>spurs
04-05-2013, 01:25 PM
havne't you guys seen south park? magic bought the cure for aids

Latarian Milton
04-05-2013, 07:17 PM
The country wasn't educated. The protease inhibitor drugs were in their infancy. It was just out of GRID. You cannot compete in professional sports with a deadly contagious disease that's transmitted through fluid secretions. Blood is everywhere in the world of pro sports, there's no room for HIV.

Sucks, he was still viable, but that's how it goes when you stick your cock in every orifice from here to Tibet.

It was a hard day for me when I found that out. He was my favorite all time, never cared for MJ much.
it was easy to notice the reluctance from his voice when he announced his official retirement, apparently nigga still could and wanted to play a few more years but the league, or the players union forced him to retire for the fear of transmitting the disease among other niggas. but hiv ain't THAT easily trasnmitted and if the refs gave him some special care like how they deal with durant at present day, it would be possible to prevent any blood from come out of his body so it would be safe for other players.