PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Rutgers Head Basketball Coach Goes Crazy -- Suspended & Fined

BatManu20
04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Rutgers head basketball coach Mike Rice was suspended in December for three games (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8744573/mike-rice-coach-rutgers-scarlet-knights-suspended-three-games-fined), and fined $50,000. At the time, the school wouldn't say what led to the discipline. This video is why (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9125796/practice-video-shows-rutgers-basketball-coach-mike-rice-berated-pushed-used-slurs-players). Rice throws basketballs at his players' heads. He shoves them, grabs them, and kicks them. He calls them "motherfuckers," "cunts," "sissy bitches," and "fucking faggots." (Click link for video)

http://deadspin.com/heres-the-video-of-mike-rice-abusing-his-players-that-465911764?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

What a psychotic dumbass. This noob should've been fired.

Spur-Addict
04-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow, what a loser. This guy should never get another coaching job.

Thread
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Thank Christ the coach wasn't black.

tee, hee.

Trill Clinton
04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
just saw this vid and made a thread before i saw this one. i hope this loser never coaches again, not even aau. those kids had to be desperate for a scholarship to put up with that.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2013, 03:51 PM
This country has gone soft...he's just old-school.

JoeTait75
04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Other than throwing basketballs at the players I really don't see the big deal, tbh. It isn't as if he's slapping them across the face or whatever. The shoving is nothing.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Other than throwing basketballs at the players I really don't see the big deal, tbh. It isn't as if he's slapping them across the face or whatever. The shoving is nothing.

The outrage this will cause is very sad. We're becoming a country of Cry Havocs smh

Thread
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Deads, they don't know what hard is until you have to build a 3 tired redoubt in order to repel 4,000 Zulu's.

1. kneel
2. stand behind the kneeler
3. behind the wall upon a step

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Deads, they don't know what hard is until you have to build a 3 tired redoubt in order to repel 4,000 Zulu's.

1. kneel
2. stand behind the kneeler
3. behind the wall upon a step

Gets better e'ry time, don't it?

Trill Clinton
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
that's old school? how old are you guys, 80?! i take it ya'll didn't read the manifesto of the shit he was saying to his players along with him pushing and throwing balls at them, nh. i understand a fired up coach but this dude crossed the line. surprised none of them niggas haven't knocked his old ass out yet.

baseline bum
04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, a coach with a temper who talks shit. I agree throwing the basketballs is kind of fucked up, but nothing wrong with the rest. It's not like he's shoving these guys over into the wall or something and trying to hurt them.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2013, 04:08 PM
that's old school? how old are you guys, 80?! i take it ya'll didn't read the manifesto of the shit he was saying to his players along with him pushing and throwing balls at them, nh. i understand a fired up coach but this dude crossed the line. surprised none of them niggas haven't knocked his old ass out yet.

Unless you played soccer your entire life, you've probably been coached by a hard-ass at some point in high school. Our Hoops coach wasn't like that, but my football and lacrosse coaches were worse. Crying about verbal abuse is REALLY soft. He didn't call them ******s, he just questioned their manhood, which is a motivational tactic of lots of coaches

BatManu20
04-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Throwing balls at players heads, kicking them, and calling them "Fucking fairy's, "cunts," and "fucking faggots" is never acceptable. The guy's lucky one of his players didn't turn around and pop him in his mouth.

JoeTait75
04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
The outrage this will cause is very sad. We're becoming a country of Cry Havocs smh

I get why a parent wouldn't want their kid to play for a coach that behaves like this, and it's not the way I'd want a coach of mine to behave, but to me this does not qualify as "assault" or whatever other loaded words people want to use.

Thread
04-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Same reason why parents & their kids begged Knight to take them in at IN. & TX.

Same reason why Bear Bryant's Junction Boys are to the man millionaires multiple times over.

Trill Clinton
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Unless you played soccer your entire life, you've probably been coached by a hard-ass at some point in high school. Our Hoops coach wasn't like that, but my football and lacrosse coaches were worse. Crying about verbal abuse is REALLY soft. He didn't call them ******s, he just questioned their manhood, which is a motivational tactic of lots of coaches

fam, i've had some tough football coaches and they've grabbed me by my facemask and shoulder pads plenty of times but not like this guy, plus these are grown ass men. if you read the manifesto, you'll see his nickname for one player is "lithuanian faggot" lol and at least 3 players have transferred, this is rutgers fam. a scrub basketball program...who does he think he is? he was over the line and there is no type of room for that coaching style for today's athlete, it won't work. coach k and coach boeheim do just fine without being extra and it works for them.

Thread
04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
fam, i've had some tough football coaches and they've grabbed me by my facemask and shoulder pads plenty of times but not like this guy, plus these are grown ass men. if you read the manifesto, you'll see his nickname for one player is "lithuanian faggot" lol and at least 3 players have transferred, this is rutgers fam. a scrub basketball program...who does he think he is? he was over the line and there is no type of room for that coaching style for today's athlete, it won't work. coach k and coach boeheim do just fine without being extra and it works for them.

I'll accept k, but, not Boeheim. He knew his asst was a pedophile and did nothing. What's good the goose (Paterno) should be sauce for the gander (Boeheim). One's a gentile. One's a jew.

Trill Clinton
04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Same reason why parents & their kids begged Knight to take them in at IN. & TX.

Same reason why Bear Bryant's Junction Boys are to the man millionaires multiple times over.

yea yea, you're old, though. so i can understand how this is just a walk in the park for you.

Trill Clinton
04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
I'll accept k, but, not Boeheim. He knew his asst was a pedophile and did nothing. What's good the goose (Paterno) should be sauce for the gander (Boeheim). One's a gentile. One's a jew.

lol, i'm with you on boeheim covering up the pedophilia. i won't even go there today...but outside of that he's a good coach. that 2-3 zone always comes through for him come tourney time.

Clipper Nation
04-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Old-school? If anything, his behavior is preschool.... definitely shows that he can't actually coach or lead his players, since he has to resort to ethnic slurs and throwing shit at them to even get a response, tbh....

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Old-school? If anything, his behavior is preschool.... definitely shows that he can't actually coach or lead his players, since he has to resort to ethnic slurs and throwing shit at them to even get a response, tbh....

Faggots and cunts are ethnicities? Learn something new everyday.

Lots of soccer players in this thread

The Batman
04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
I straightened him out.

Cane
04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Faggots and cunts are ethnicities? Learn something new everyday.

Lots of soccer players in this thread

The goods tbh

FkLA
04-02-2013, 05:23 PM
This isnt normal or old school. :lol

I had a football coach that would yell at us or slap us on the helmet/pads if we had a really dumb mental lapse, this was in middle school and I didnt have a problem with that. But this nigga looks psychotic out there tbh--pushing them from behind when they arent even expecting it, kicking them, and throwing shit at them is crossing the line. Theres a difference between being tough on someone so they can get their shit together and embarrassing them. This is the latter, the players body language shows dejection and humiliation after he goes at them.

Thread
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
pushing them from behind when they arent even expecting it

That's the fun part.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
The people outraged in this thread are the same ones who think shoving someone was a fight in high school. Yoh act like he clotheslined them or roundhouse kicked them in the face. It was a half-hearted kick in the ass and a couple shoves.

:lolpeople reacting like he's some Bobby Knight-Woody Hayes hybrid.

CitizenDwayne
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I agree with those that think this shouldn't qualify as assault or anything too extreme, but...what he's doing seems to always have the opposite effect he's going for. He's not motivating anyone, just making them miserable. Psycho or not, the guy's a shit coach.

FkLA
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Im not outraged or think this is worthy of an assault charge or something. But shit Im not going to respect and go out on the court and fight for a coach like this. Id fucking hate the nigga if I was playing for him tbh. Its not like his method works either since Id never even heard of this guy prior to today.

Trill Clinton
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
i'm not outraged, i just think he crossed the line. if old school methods like that is fine for you and your future children then more power to ya, i hope it works out for ya. i just wouldn't put up with that from a scrub coach.

DMC
04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Wow Bear Bryant got off easy.

Latarian Milton
04-02-2013, 09:09 PM
50k fine is enough punishment for a minor league coach imho.

hater
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
:lmao at the old fucks saying this is old school. they probably were raised with heavy hand themselves and they themselves were eventually pushed either into closet homosexualism, or serial killer tendencies. that is prevalent in kids that grow up under such abuse

lebomb
04-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I would have knocked Rice tha fuck out!!! :ihit

Kool Bob Love
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Fucking white people man.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
If he's scaring off recruits I'm surprised they didn't just can him. Throwing a ball at a kid's head is unacceptable, that's an easy one. That kick crosses the line too. The rest of it? Meh. None of it strikes me as so horrifically mentally scarring that I worry about any player's well being, but if those are the only motivational tricks he's got in his bag then he's got no business trying to lead a team.

OKC
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
This isn't old school. This coach is a pussy. I understand grabbing a players jersey, demonstrating in a physical manner to a player how to box out properly, etc. I understand yelling and getting in a player's face. But the two handed running shoves out of nowhere, the dodge ball horseshit throws of the basketball..that's just 100% pussy right there.

lebomb
04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
FIRED!!!!!!!

:hang

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

JamStone
04-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't find his behavior all that horrible. I just think it's stupid, childish, and non-effective. I'd have more of a problem if he was punching, choking, or slapping kids. Throwing basketballs at them and calling them gay epithets just seems dumb. What happened to just making the kids run wind sprints until they puke? I'm sure the kids probably feared losing their scholarships, but one of them at some point should have just thrown a basketball right back at him.

lebomb
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't find his behavior all that horrible. I just think it's stupid, childish, and non-effective. I'd have more of a problem if he was punching, choking, or slapping kids. Throwing basketballs at them and calling them gay epithets just seems dumb. What happened to just making the kids run wind sprints until they puke? I'm sure the kids probably feared losing their scholarships, but one of them at some point should have just thrown a basketball right back at him.

Seriously? You think thats what it takes to let a player know he ran the wrong play or didnt play defense well. You have got to be fuckin kiddin me. Ive played BBall all my life, even a little bit in college. I have NEVER had a coach lay a hand on a player, or call him names. Yeah, yelling and maybe cussing. But getting physical is straight up PUSSY! and wrong. Oh, and we won championships. So dont even go there with that bullshit of needing to be an ass in order to win. :rolleyes

Grit and Grind
04-03-2013, 11:19 AM
I thought this was funny

Bill_Brasky
04-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah.....there was no over the top, horribly scarring mental abuse type shit going on there, but the guy just seemed to be spazzing out and generally not knowing what he was doing and the practice didn't seem like it had a point or direction. Just an old dude lobbing basketballs at people calling them faggots.

I'd fire him for being incompetent tbh.

Destro
04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Members of the Rutgers Community:

This morning I issued the following statement regarding the decision to terminate the employment of Scarlet Knights men’s basketball coach Mike Rice. Because of the seriousness of the situation and the national attention it has drawn, I wanted to let you know about this decision as soon as possible.

“Rutgers University has a long and proud history as one of the nation’s most diverse and welcoming academic institutions. Coach Rice’s abusive language and actions are deeply offensive and egregiously violate the university’s core values.

“When video excerpts of basketball practices were reviewed last fall by Athletic Director Tim Pernetti, he immediately notified me and sought the advice of internal and outside counsel. The university hired an independent investigator to look into this matter thoroughly. Based on the external investigator's findings and recommendations, Tim and I agreed that Coach Rice should be suspended, penalized $75,000 in fines and lost salary, ordered to undergo anger management counseling, and put on notice that his behavior would be closely monitored. Tim Pernetti also made it clear to Coach Rice that there would be zero tolerance for additional infractions. Tim kept me fully apprised and I supported his actions.

“Yesterday, I personally reviewed the video evidence, which shows a chronic and pervasive pattern of disturbing behavior. I have now reached the conclusion that Coach Rice cannot continue to serve effectively in a position that demands the highest levels of leadership, responsibility and public accountability. He cannot continue to coach at Rutgers University. Therefore, Tim Pernetti and I have jointly decided to terminate Mike Rice’s employment at Rutgers.”

Sincerely,

Robert L. Barchi
President

Clipper Nation
04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Lakers should hire him.... I'd reconsider my stance on the guy if he started throwing basketballs at Kirby and calling him a faggot, tbh :lol

BatManu20
04-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Glad he was fired this morning. It was inevitable once the video went public. Rutgers had no choice but to fire him. The backlash they would've received would've been too much. Plus, no recruit in their right mind would've committed to that program after seeing that.

Budkin
04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Throwing balls at players heads, kicking them, and calling them "Fucking fairy's, "cunts," and "fucking faggots" is never acceptable. The guy's lucky one of his players didn't turn around and pop him in his mouth.

This. The guy is an immature brat having a temper tantrum, following the Bob Knight school of coaching. You don't earn your players' respect like that, they just end up hating you.

Katherine Robinson
04-03-2013, 12:08 PM
This reminds me of my honeymoon with Dale.

whitemamba
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
hes fired no?

hater
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
nothing wrong with a few pushes and shoves here and there. But it's obvious this guy gets off on that, it's his shtick. He's also probably a sodomite that watches the players in the showers. He seems like that tough father guy in American Beauty, tough as nails but ready to suck a dick at any given moment. Dude just not all there and if you can't see that, you need to get out more.

Fpoonsie
04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Seriously? You think thats what it takes to let a player know he ran the wrong play or didnt play defense well. You have got to be fuckin kiddin me. Ive played BBall all my life, even a little bit in college. I have NEVER had a coach lay a hand on a player, or call him names. Yeah, yelling and maybe cussing. But getting physical is straight up PUSSY! and wrong. Oh, and we won championships. So dont even go there with that bullshit of needing to be an ass in order to win. :rolleyes

Tha fuck? Didjoo actually READ Jam's post after tha first sentence?

td4mvp2k
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
This. The guy is an immature brat having a temper tantrum, following the Bob Knight school of coaching. You don't earn your players' respect like that, they just end up hating you.

:lol Bob Knight mofo

ohmwrecker
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
:lmao at the old fucks saying this is old school. they probably were raised with heavy hand themselves and they themselves were eventually pushed either into closet homosexualism, or serial killer tendencies. that is prevalent in kids that grow up under such abuse

Nah. It's just internet tough guy posturing. These boys are as soft as Seppe's cock.