PDA

View Full Version : Disney Closes LucasArts

ElNono
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
An anonymous reader sends news that Disney is closing LucasArts (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx). The game studio has been around since 1982, and brought us classics such as Labyrinth, The Secret of Monkey Island, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Star Wars: Battlefront. They also published Star Wars: Galaxies, Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. The company held a meeting today informing employees of the layoffs. "In some ways, the news is not a surprise. LucasArts had seemed directionless in recent years. The company's core business of games based on the Star Wars license have been largely disappointing in both quality and sales. While the company had some success with games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the Battlefront series, both of those franchises seemed to have died on the vine. The cancellation of Star Wars Battlefront III was particularly ugly, which led to nasty public fingerpointing between LucasArts and developer Free Radical. ... LucasArt's other big franchise, Indiana Jones, has failed to make much of a dent in games in recent years, with the exception of Traveller's Tales LEGO Indiana Jones series that, once again, was not developed by LucasArts. Meanwhile, series like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, which are both heavily influenced by the Indiana Jones films, have thrived." If only they hadn't abandoned the X-Wing series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing_%28series%29) of games. I would have bought a new one of those in a heartbeat.

ElNono
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
RIP :depressed

Reck
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Hell yeah Star Wars Unleashed 2 was an utter failure. No efforts was put on that game whatsoever.

leemajors
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Tie Fighter was so fun.

NASpurs
04-04-2013, 01:07 AM
DISNEY FUCKING KILLED OFF STAR WARS 1313?!?!? WTF!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyGu4EqZsU

Reck
04-04-2013, 05:02 AM
DISNEY FUCKING KILLED OFF STAR WARS 1313?!?!? WTF!!

They'll probably sell the rights to some other video game company. Like what THQ did with most of their titles.

leemajors
04-04-2013, 06:13 AM
They'll probably sell the rights to some other video game company. Like what THQ did with most of their titles.

Reached for comment by Wired, a representative said that internal development on announced games, like the next-gen shooter Star Wars 1313, had been ceased but that the company was evaluating its options as regards having those games completed by an outside developer. However, Kotaku quoted an anonymous source inside the company that said such options had already been explored, and Disney found no takers. So it’s looking quite unlikely that 1313 will ever come out.

Reck
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
There goes my theory.

symple19
04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
X-Wing vs Tie fighter demands a new installment. Imagine how badass it would be with todays graphics

Cane
04-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Do gamers really play action flight sims anymore? RIP X-Wing Alliance LAN's

Anyway LucasArts was a bunch of underwhelming overpaid crap after the 90's and especially in the 00's+. I can still remember the hype for Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine.

mingus
04-05-2013, 02:06 AM
the original KOTOR is one of my GOAT games.

leemajors
04-05-2013, 05:45 AM
the original KOTOR is one of my GOAT games.

BioWare made that, LucasArts published it.

symple19
04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Do gamers really play action flight sims anymore? RIP X-Wing Alliance LAN's

Anyway LucasArts was a bunch of underwhelming overpaid crap after the 90's and especially in the 00's+. I can still remember the hype for Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine.

There is certainly a niche out there for flight simmers, but those traditional types of games don't interest me at all. I actually bought a Sidewinder pro joystick for the X-wing series.

Nothing quite like making torpedo runs on a Star Destroyer, or climbing in a Tie-Advanced and hunting down some rebel scum...Those games were fucking amazing

leemajors
04-05-2013, 12:48 PM
There is certainly a niche out there for flight simmers, but those traditional types of games don't interest me at all. I actually bought a Sidewinder pro joystick for the X-wing series.

Nothing quite like making torpedo runs on a Star Destroyer, or climbing in a Tie-Advanced and hunting down some rebel scum...Those games were fucking amazing

Order of the Emperor ftw

Reck
04-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Is there anything you're not up to date with?

You know more than you let on Lee. :lol

Trainwreck2100
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Bioware got the RIP years ago tbqh