PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Apr. 3

timvp
04-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Tim Duncan C
Only played in the first half in order to be rested for tomorrow's showdown in OKC. When he was on the court, he was invisible -- relatively speaking. Limited impact on the defensive end. Finished a couple shots around the rim … but that was about it on the offensive end. Let's hope he's rested.

Danny Green A
The Spurs were finally able to break away from the Magic in large part due to his timely shooting and defense. Got more plays called for him than usual and responded with a team-high in points. His D -- especially his pressure outside of the three-point stripe -- was better than usual.

Stephen Jackson F+
Ugh. It appeared as if he was making incremental progress lately. Unfortunately, he played horribly against Orlando. Couldn't hit a shot. Passing was ugly. D was lackadaisical. The only saving grace is that his mobility looked better than the molassesness we've witnessed for much of the season.

Boris Diaw C
His inability to make open shots extended into a second game. A lack of lift on his jumper appears to be what's causing most of his shots to be short. He rebounded better than we've come to expect but his D was iffy and he had too many passes deflected and/or stolen.

Nando De Colo B+
These past two outings he has stepped up his aggression. Since that's what has been missing from his arsenal, it's great to see. The results weren't sparkling scoring-wise but I was pleased elsewhere. Good court vision, great rebounding, energetic D and kept his foot on the gas -- though he did have a few blatant miscues.

Tiago Splitter B
Came off the bench for a change. Let's hope it was just a move to ensure Duncan would only have to play the first half. In his 16 minutes, he was marvelous on the glass but didn't impress much elsewhere. He didn't always deal with the extra attention on O well. His D lacked attentiveness at times.

Gary Neal B+
The guy is willing to shoot the basketball. We know this. While I didn't love his shot-selection, the Spurs needed him to look to score -- and he obliged. The brightest spot of the game might have been his health. He was quick to loose balls and was skying for rebounds better than he has in weeks.

Patrick Mills C+
He hasn't played in a while -- and he looked rusty. His stroke wasn't as smooth as usual and he had poor timing on pick-and-roll sets. While he had his warts, his competitiveness shined. He fought on defense and was always looking to do something on offense. His instant-adrenaline trait has some value.

Matt Bonner B+
He exhibited more depth to his game than usual. Who knew he even had those post moves in his repertoire? He was a bit weak on the boards but the rest of his D was sturdy. He rotated quickly and was in the right spots.

Cory Joseph A-
Good showing for the sophomore. Played rugged defense. Helped on the backboard. On the other end, his penetration created opportunity for himself and others. His floaters in the lane looked Parker-esque. His passing was also top-notch. Take away a smidgen of hesitation and he would have been really good.

Aron Baynes A-
Nice. He lumbers a bit and appeared to get tired -- but other than that it's difficult to nitpick his outing. On offense he illustrated a deft touch in the lane and also above average power and athleticism for his size. On D, he's an intimidator in the paint who can snare rebounds out of the air. Intriguing outing.

Pop A
Pop rolled the dice by sitting Parker and Leonard -- and only going with Duncan for the first half. If it backfired, he would have been the goat. But it worked so let's give him his due. If the Spurs keep it close tomorrow, the rest Pop found tonight could prove to be the difference.

DapDaGenius
04-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Very nice. I heard Jackson was going to get an MRI and won't be at OKC. I was glad to see Danny play like he wanted to. Baynes and Cory looked great.

adonis827
04-04-2013, 02:23 AM
Would Baynes ever learn to cut down on his turnovers? Hope so

Manufan909
04-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the quick grades timvp!!!

freetiago
04-04-2013, 02:49 AM
not suprised Jackson would be the one to get the worse grade of the season
too many Spurfan keep nonissue it and just think hell go on a magical playoff run
chances of it happening once were pretty low and it sort of happened last year
chances of it happening twice...

Splitter almost getting a double double in 16 minutes and getting a B is good tbh
your standards of Splitter have gone way up

Diaw keeps missing because he passes up a wide open 3 then chooses to do a dribble stepback pullup deep 2

Fireball
04-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Spurs are really banged up now with another injury to SJax. The resting of players may giv us a chance tonight at OKC, but its a slim one.

I was impressed by CJ and happy to see Baynes get some playing time, but he gets tired very fast ...

spurraider21
04-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the quick grades. Just out of curiosity, is the "game thoughts" series on hold or a thing of the past? I know those are much more time consuming, but they're always great reads, so I'm just asking.

I want to see if Tiago can abuse OKC in the post like he did last time.

polandprzem
04-04-2013, 04:14 AM
I do not understand what Pop did to Tim in this game.All his avg went down !

spurraider21
04-04-2013, 04:26 AM
I do not understand what Pop did to Tim in this game.All his avg went down !

I hope the blue font is implied

polandprzem
04-04-2013, 05:21 AM
I hope the blue font is implied
Not necessary

I'd rather Pop not play him at all

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Someday soon it'll be great remembering how the Spurs would sit 3 of their top 5 players and play the other 2 top 5 players for 1 quarter and still win NBA games.

spurraider21
04-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Not necessary

I'd rather Pop not play him at all
If you're actually worried about Tim's stats... thats what I was referring to. i'm sure Tim and Pop couldn't care less lol. And after dropping 2 straight, I think Pop had Timmy active just in case we needed him. Fortunately, we never got to a point where we had to throw him back in. At the very least it kept him fresh without working him to the point where he'd get tired. It was actually perfect scenario considering he missed the Memphis game. Get back into flow before the huge OKC game

pgardn
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Exactly with Neal.

When the offense bogs down because we do not have guys that can create, he can hit very tough shots. I hate his D, I hate his ball handling, I love him on the bench, ready to ignite during periods when we can't get good shots. At least we know he has the ability to score.

Neal CAN be more than a body during a tough playoff game, unlike those that shall go unamed.

Neal missed Boris on a break wide open under the basket and instead hit a little pull up. I thought Pop would nail his head to the ground. This is Neal. Oh no, nice shot...

dbestpro
04-04-2013, 07:27 AM
I really liked how Baynes and CoJo got the Spurs back to playing team ball. Maybe, it was Baynes picks or CoJos ball control, but it seemed to get everyone away from the isolation play that we have seen of into more of a pass to open man mentality, although Baynes was missed on some wide open pick and rolls.

I like the physical play of Baynes. It may make some wings to think twice before they try to come in and steal a rebound.

Harry Callahan
04-04-2013, 07:47 AM
The Spurs will have room to find a better player than Stephen Jackson hopefully in the offseason.

Jack at 35 years of age is not nearly as effective as he used to be.

Manu is a year older than that and were're seeing the effects. Manu will probably get another offer from the Spurs, but it should be at a greatly reduced amount given his current state. This year has been pretty bad for both players.

The FO is spending almost $25MM in salary on those two and both deals come off the books this summer.

Will the Spurs have the MLE available if they are under the cap this summer?

weeks
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
is it just me or is timmy having trouble keeping control of the ball the past few weeks? every time he tries to move closer to the basket i hold my breath

TheGoldStandard
04-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Jax will come back next season if he comes back at all and it'll be for the cheap. He'll give minutes off the bench and help the younger crew, heck might even setup a job in the front office after he retires.

TheyCallMePro
04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Baynes was exhausted. Joseph was great. De Colo was average. Green was awesome. Bonner was tenacious. There you go.

EricB
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
No comment on how Baynes for his size can't box out Vucevic or the other stiffs? Ok.

weeks
04-04-2013, 08:43 AM
also, seeing how well baynes performed, it's hard to see the logic in keeping him on the bench for so long these past weeks.
he does get gassed easy though. how can he improve that? i mean, surely to god pop has him doing cardio until he's puking, right?

romsho
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
No comment on how Baynes for his size can't box out Vucevic or the other stiffs? Ok.

The effort was there. He'll get better. Can't is a pretty definitive statement, Way too early for that for a guy who's barely played.

Pop
04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Baynes being gassed is a non issue when he should be the 4th big and play about 10 minutes.

jermaine
04-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Baynes being gassed is a non issue when he should be the 4th big and play about 10 minutes.
Thats what im sayin. We dont need him to play 30mins a game. Just a spark off the bench. Him him Manu, an Diaw omg. He gives all he got an thats what he need. He dont waste movements an he tries to keep his man in arms reach. An if you only played once ever blue moon, you'd be gased too. Running in practice aint like ingame running.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I thought Baynes would be a typical 7-foot stiff like an Aaron Gray type, but his mobility and athleticism is pretty impressive for a 7-footer, tbh..

It will be interesting to see if Pop gives him more minutes to end the regular season at Blair's expense..

Chinook
04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Will the Spurs have the MLE available if they are under the cap this summer?

The short answer is no.

Teams either have exceptions or cap room; they can't have both. At the beginning of every off-season, teams have two different numbers to worry about. The first is the total of their actual salaries, which is pretty straight forward. This is (pretty much) the number teams use when trying to stay under the luxury tax. The second is their cap number. This is a combination of their salaries, their cap holds and all available exceptions.

Technically, for a team to be under the cap, that second number needs to be below the cap line. The Spurs can do so by renouncing all their free agents. This would allow them to use their cap space to add salary. But doing so is a one-way street; a team can't go back to being over the cap and using exceptions (besides the room exception) once they get under the cap. A team can, however, go under the cap any time they want (provided it's mathematically possible).

So the more-complete answer is that the Spurs can be under the cap and use their MLE, because their salary can be lower than the cap, but they can still use the MLE because their cap number is above the cap.

There are scenarios in which it may make more sense for the Spurs to use exceptions rather than cap space. For example, if they were $4 Million under the cap, and they wanted to sign a player for $3.5 Million in the first year, they could choose whether to use cap space or the MLE to sign him. If they used cap space, then they would have the room exception (about $2.5 Million a year for two years) to bring in another player, whereas if they used the MLE, they'd only have the remaining $2 Million or so of the MLE left. But seeing as the MLE can go over four years instead of just two, it may make sense to use that instead.

It's all sort of complicated. We talk about this stuff in the salary and free agency threads in the Think Tank.

Raven
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I think we can't consider Danny Green a scrub anymore, he may be favored by the system, but he is being one of the top shoot-and-D type of players in the league. His improvement has been amazing, if he could improve more on his layups, it would be huge(that's one thing anybody can improve).

I loved the + on the F grade btw :lol

freetiago
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Vucevic the 3rd leading rebounder in the nba is a stiff...
Baynes had 5 rebounds in limited minutes
elite per minute numbers
similar to Tiagos average his second season when his PER was around 21 and one of the highest in the nba
if his teammates found him wide open he would have scored even better

Horse
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Spurs are really banged up now with another injury to SJax. The resting of players may giv us a chance tonight at OKC, but its a slim one.

I was impressed by CJ and happy to see Baynes get some playing time, but he gets tired very fast ...
I'm not saying it will be easy but why is everyone so sure we'll lose tonight? I think we really figured them out last time. And Tiago and Tim and Leonard can get whatever they want.

MaNu4Tres
04-04-2013, 01:07 PM

At least Timvp agreed with me. :)

phxspurfan
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Baynes continues to look like a man amongst boys out there. If he can just hire Brungy as a personal trainer, dude could make mad loot in the league.

EricB
04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
At least Timvp agreed with me. :)

Yipee