Bruno
04-05-2013, 12:38 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_shawn_marion.jpg
Born: May 7, 1978
Height: 6-7 / 2.01
Weight: 228 lbs. / 103.4 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country: UNLV / USA
Years Pro: 13

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/career_stats.html)

$9.3M ETO

Richie
04-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Probably won't opt-out, but if he did I'd happily take him over some of the lower tier bigs.

I was thinking that if the Mavs don't make the playoffs (likely) and do nothing in free agency then he might be inclined to opt out, but it seems the ETO deadline is on June 30th so he probably wouldn't opt out before knowing what the Mavs do with their cap space.

exstatic
04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Shawn Marion would have to be an idiot to opt out of $9.3M on the table. If he was really lucky, someone might offer him that for 3 years.

CGD
04-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Every time I see this guys name, it just minds me how awesome Steve Nash was. Dude should name his next son after Steve as a gesture of gratitude of allowing him to have an NBA career and make millions of dollars.

freetiago
04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
not sure if srs
Marion was an elite all around player
still an elite defender and rebounder
and his awkward floaters still work
probably the best Durant/Lebron defender ive seen in the league

Marion won his ring without Nash

exstatic
04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
not sure if srs
Marion was an elite all around player
still an elite defender and rebounder
and his awkward floaters still work
probably the best Durant/Lebron defender ive seen in the league

Marion won his ring without Nash

That's all he ever was. Steve Nash spoon fed him his points. He could never consistently create for himself or others, the hallmark of an elite player. ALL of his numbers were inflated by a system that increased the number of shot attempts per game to ridiculous proportions, yes, even his rebounds.

As for his ring, he was spoonfed by another elite PG, Jason Kidd.

AaronY
04-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Marion averaged 20 and 10 as a small forward (!) twice before Nash even got to Phoenix.

He also led the league in steals twice, not sure how Nash helped him do that

exstatic
04-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Bbefore Nash got to Phoenix Marion averaged 20 and 10 as a small forward (!) twice before Nash even got to Phoenix.

He also led the league in steals twice, not sure how Nash helped him do that

Marbury.

Steals are nice, but they don't make you an elite player.

AaronY
04-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Lol Marbury. Yeah, that guy really made his teammates better rofl

Look, Dude was talented you can quibble over the meaning of elite but he was a bona fide all star who brought it on both ends of the court. He had weaknesses like scoting in the half court because if his shaky jumper but tons of strengths like elite defense and rebounding as well.

exstatic
04-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Lol Marbury. Yeah, that guy really made his teammates better rofl

Look, Dude was talented you can quibble over the meaning of elite but he was a bona fide all star who brought it on both ends of the court. He had weaknesses like scoting in the half court because if his shaky jumper but tons of strengths like elite defense and rebounding as well.

...and I acknowledged his defense and rebounding earlier in the thread, but the weaknesses you name are the EXACT reason why he's never been elite. If you can't score/create in the half court, you are not elite by any definition of an NBA player. You are a supporting player.

AaronY
04-07-2013, 08:09 AM
...and I acknowledged his defense and rebounding earlier in the thread, but the weaknesses you name are the EXACT reason why he's never been elite. If you can't score/create in the half court, you are not elite by any definition of an NBA player. You are a supporting player.
That's misguided. People way overrate scoring Im not going to type this all out again but here's kinda my thoughts on that http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211767&page=2&p=6455240&viewfull=1#post6455240

AaronY
04-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Terms like elite are meaningless anyway, but what you're really saying is he is not an elite scorer

CGD
04-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I was being a bit facetious with my either comment about him owing him entire career to Nash. Clearly he can play especially on the defensive end. However their is no doubt in my mind that he was overrated offensively bc of the system he played in, and the greatness of Nash. Case and point: every Sun-Spurs playoff series where he was exposed.

exstatic
04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Terms like elite are meaningless anyway, but what you're really saying is he is not an elite scorer

You can't be an elite player without that. Having it doesn't make you one, but if you can't create your own shot, let alone anything for anyone else, you are not an elite player.

I've already acknowledged his defense and rebounding. Those were his only plus attributes.

AaronY
04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
We agree. He doesn't fit your idiosyncratic definition of elite.

raybies
04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Would like to see kawhi start at the two if we could get a longer defensive minded three that could hit the corner three.