PDA

View Full Version : NY Post Don't Brag And Boast

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/49727.htm

NETS GIVE SHAREEF FULL 'COURT' PRESS

By FRED KERBER

July 7, 2005 -- The Nets' courtship of Shareef Abdur-Rahim entered its second phase yesterday as the 6-foot-9 forward and his wife, Dee, began a two-day tour of the area, then dined with team principals.

"It's really just a social type of thing," said team President Rod Thorn, who led a contingent including coach Lawrence Frank and GM Ed Stefanski to entertain Abdur-Rahim at dinner in New York last night.

When the Nets get down to business, they'll hope to convince the 28-year-old, 19.8-point career scorer that New Jersey is best for him.

The Nets' depth is on the verge of taking a hit, as free-agent forward Brian Scalabrine appears on the verge of accepting an offer from the Celtics.

The Nets would love to land Abdur-Rahim through a sign-and-trade with the Blazers, using a $4.9 million trade exception. If all signs are Abdur-Rahim, an unrestricted free agent, wants to come to New Jersey, the Nets will try to work a deal with Portland.

The Nets also have the $4.9M mid-level exception, but they want that for other free agents. If they were to use that first on, say Keyon Dooling, they would lose considerable leverage with Portland. Abdur-Rahim, who is to meet today with principal owner Bruce Ratner, wants out of Portland, and the Blazers could at least gain something in a sign-and-trade with the Nets.

Abdur-Rahim is at the center of the Nets' offseason plans. If they secure him, they'll shift attention to Dooling as point-guard insurance, plus added scoring and depth. If the Nets are successful with those two — both of whom received personal visits last week from Frank — then they will look to fill out the roster with additional free agents.

If Abdur-Rahim goes elsewhere — and the Nets have tough competition in the Spurs, Heat, Kings and Wizards — then New Jersey will focus on Donyell Marshall of Toronto or Stromile Swift of Memphis. The Nets already have spoken to "six or seven" free agents, Thorn said.

First round pick Antoine Wright got off to a shaky 5-of-21 shooting start and finished with 14 points as the Nets were clobbered by Dallas, 89-66, in their Las Vegas summer league opener yesterday. Former Sixer draft pick Sam Clancy led the Nets with 17 points.

BillsCarnage
07-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Marcus Bryant
Pimp

Position: Volatile Forward
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $0

GOD DAMN!! How long has this board been open?

mrcoon29
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Can I have my ezboard posts added to my post count, too??? :lol

Have the Spurs "entertained" SAR, yet??

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Marcus Bryant
Pimp

Position: Volatile Forward
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $0

GOD DAMN!! How long has this board been open?

Those are not real numbers...it was done in jest, because Marcus has 123 different signin names and we were estimating how many total posts he had with all the different names.

:)

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2005, 04:35 PM
You guys worry about that. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my summer.

Rummpd
07-07-2005, 06:20 PM
He still only has 25$ bookie at the most - let the facts speak for themselves.

:smokin