PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Clippers interested in Van Gundy

The Batman
04-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Could a deep playoff run save him? Even that might not be enough entering the most critical summer in the Clippers' history, with Chris Paul becoming a free agent July 1 and Clips management having always planned to let Paul have a big say (assuming he wants one) before any coach gets another long-term deal from them.

The Clippers' many injuries this season have to be factored into any evaluation of Del Negro. Seeing so little of Chauncey Billups (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/63/chauncey-billups), in particular, has really held them back, scuttling the plan to give Paul more of the time playing off the ball he relishes and robbing L.A. of its most proven playoff performer.

But Del Negro's well-chronicled desire for the Clips to trade for Boston's Kevin Garnett (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/261/kevin-garnett) in February, coupled with his bosses' well-chronicled reluctance to part with both Eric Bledsoe (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4238/eric-bledsoe) and DeAndre Jordan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3442/deandre-jordan) in a KG deal, has spawned the impression of competing agendas behind closed doors in Clipperland. It's also undeniably worrisome for Del Negro that, according to sources, Stan Van Gundy's availability already has the Clippers highly intrigued.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/weekenddime-130405-06/weekend-dime

:rollin

dunkman
04-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Del Negro is a gonner then, tbh . . .

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2013, 09:33 AM
when was the last time a player chosen coach won anything? lol toe nail clippers

Clipper Nation
04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
See ya, Vinny! :lol

I actually think SVG would be a great coach for the Clippers, but the front office will need to get a couple consistent spot-up shooters this offseason, tbh....

Clipper Nation
04-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Even missing the playoffs entirely, which remains an eventuality all too real for the Lakers, wouldn't automatically doom D'Antoni. Not when he had to coach an old and injury-riddled team without the benefit of a training camp. And not with the Lakers widely expected to slice player payroll next season and thus are believed to have little interest in spending top dollar on yet another coach while paying D'Antoni and Mike Brown.

There's also no denying that speculation about Phil returning to the organization -- either in a front-office role alongside Jeanie Buss, with Brian Shaw on the bench, or with Phil coaching for a brief time before handing off to Shaw -- won't go away. At this juncture, though, most signs point to D'Antoni returning next season and indeed getting that shot to not only have training camp but also a healthier roster.

:lmao Lakers

StrengthAndHonor
04-06-2013, 10:34 AM
I bet D'Antoni can make the Lakers contender. They're far too good an talented to be in a similar mess next year. Assuming they're healthy, they're a 65 win team.

Lakers will dump Gasol for some fresh legs, Artest may be traded too and Dwight, Jordan Hill will be healthy next year.

irishock
04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
SVG is a system coach and that's exactly what the Clippers need

ElNono
04-06-2013, 11:46 AM
I bet D'Antoni can make the Lakers contender.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/012010/1264091579_kirk_rofl.gif

StrengthAndHonor
04-06-2013, 11:58 AM
D'Antoni has proven he can win. If it wasn't for that fiasco against the Spurs, its smart to believe the Suns would have at least 1 NBA championship in the last decade.

I really admire MDA. Yes he has his defensive deficiencies, but his stellar understanding of how to move the ball and make anybody a lethal scoring option is undeniable.

Case in point. 2013 Lakers. Kobe is playing the best ball of his life. Steve Blake, Jordan Hill and Jamison are all shooting and contributing at such an efficient rate. I guess you can nit pick and point out that Gasol and Meeks are having a sub par yeqr but its hardly Mike's fault.

D'Antoni can win. Give him the right personnel and he'll catapult your team to contention.

AaronY
04-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Should have made the KG trade...I thought Garnett turned it down

whitemamba
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
not going to make a difference tbh, monkeyball doesnt work in the playoffs

Clipper Nation
04-06-2013, 12:40 PM
D'Antoni has proven he can win.
:lmao :rollin :lmao

If it wasn't for that fiasco against the Spurs, its smart to believe the Suns would have at least 1 NBA championship in the last decade.
Maybe if he knew how to coach defense and actually instilled discipline in his team, that "fiasco" against the Spurs wouldn't have happened, tbh....

D'Antoni can win. Give him the right personnel and he'll catapult your team to contention.
He had the right personnel in Phoenix and never won a ring...

JamStone
04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Del Negro is a gonner then, tbh . . .

Insightful. I figured the Clippers would hire SVG and keep Del Negro as co-head coaches.

dunkman
04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Insightful. I figured the Clippers would hire SVG and keep Del Negro as co-head coaches.

Right on the spot.

StrengthAndHonor
04-06-2013, 02:46 PM
:lmao :rollin :lmao

Maybe if he knew how to coach defense and actually instilled discipline in his team, that "fiasco" against the Spurs wouldn't have happened, tbh....

He had the right personnel in Phoenix and never won a ring...

I just think too much blame goes to D'Antoni. This is the same team that went 1-9 under Mike Brown. I think the players particularly the lack of chemistry between Kobe and Dwight and Gasol's pouting ealier this season were bigger factors.

I've seen how they blow defensive assignments and I just can't blame D'Antoni there. The Lakers were all missing basic defensive rotations taught in high school. Dwight is the only one who knew how to play defense amd he spent half of his season bickering and playing the I'm injured card. The moment he accepted he really is Kobe's Tyson Chandler the Lakers went from lottery to a decent playoff team.

D'Antoni will benefit running a younger team. I think he could turn the Clippers into a WC champions at worst.

AaronY
04-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Lawlz

FkLA
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I thought it was Jeff tbh. I wouldve like that hire more if I was a Clip fan, wonder when that nigga will start coaching again.

Latarian Milton
04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
replacing vinny with gundy would be worse than a lateral move tbh. bald dude is an expert in defense but has no business making offensive game plans, and his fat bro would be even worse. DH didn't coach-kill him for no reason tbh

Reck
04-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Why they even gave Del Neega an extension to start with was puzzling.

Clippers had their chance to rid themselves of him but old cheap ass Sterling thought giving Vinny another shot was more convenient and cheaper.

whitemamba
04-06-2013, 08:47 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/cjm2v.gif

Mayhem321
04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Fat Mario is way better than Del Negro, IMO. He made the finals when his second best player was Turkoglu...

Clipper Nation
04-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Why they even gave Del Neega an extension to start with was puzzling.

Clippers had their chance to rid themselves of him but old cheap ass Sterling thought giving Vinny another shot was more convenient and cheaper.
They didn't give him an extension... they exercised the team option on the final year of his contract because he earned one last chance by winning that Memphis series... turns out, Vinny still sucks, hence the Clippers not talking about an extension with him and looking at other coaches....

KaiRMD1
04-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Van Gundy would be a good fit for the Clippers but some of the Clippers wouldn't be a good fit for Van Gundy