PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Hawks - Apr. 6

timvp
04-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Tim Duncan A
It's pretty ridiculous that he's weeks away from turning 37 yet is playing at such a high level. And tonight's production came with the Hawks focusing most of their defensive effort at him. Duncan shrugged off the pressure and was dominant on both ends. He lacked a bit of crispness at times but was otherwise great.

Kawhi Leonard A-
You know this kid is getting scary good when performances like the one we saw tonight are becoming commonplace. His numbers are gaudy across the board -- starting with his amazingly efficient scoring stats. But beyond the numbers, I thought his focus wavered on D, which the Spurs absolutely can't have right now.

Danny Green D-
Struggled on offense due to the lack of playmakers. Struggled on defense because … well, I have no idea. The Spurs can't have Green revert to what he did last year in that his defensive intensity depended on what was happening on the offensive end.

Nando De Colo C-
He's proving to be a great rebounder for a point guard. Other than that, though, I didn't see much I liked. His defense was meh. He wasn't really creating many shots yet still turned it over three times. His finishes at the rim were underwhelming. If he's going to hold onto a spot in the rotation, he needs to play better.

Tiago Splitter D-
I'm not sure what's wrong with him but he's playing like a zombie. Sick? Tired? Bored? Something is up. The Hawks rarely put an NBA caliber player across from him yet he was a limp noodle on offense. On D, he aimlessly roamed while rarely flashing more than an iota of physicality.

Boris Diaw B-
*sigh* He suffered back spasms and was forced to leave the game after nine minutes of action. He was playing decently well before he was relegated to the pine. Another injury? Yes, another injury.

Cory Joseph C+
Aesthetically, I thought he looked somewhere between "not too bad" and "adequate" despite his unsightly stat line. He attacked on O, made a few sporadic plays, defended with vigor occasionally, and basically looked locked in. But he needs much better efficiency and to cut down on his brain hiccups.

DeJuan Blair B
I'm pretty happy with how he played. The Spurs needed offense and he was able to find buckets while also dishing off a handful of quality passes. He was strong on the backboard and active with his hands on defense. Unfortunately, his poor positioning on D limited his value.

Stephen Jackson B-
Considering some of his uneven play recently, this was undoubtedly a step in the right direction. While his three-point shot remains stubborn, he's looking better off the dribble and his overall play was smarter than usual. His D was okay but nothing to alert Port Arthur, Texas about.

Matt Bonner C
Strangest line of the season? Yeah, I think so. No points, no rebounds but two assists and a career-high four blocks? While those four blocks were mostly of the neat-they-shot-it-into-my-arms variety, we gotta give him some credit for that. But outside of that anomaly, his effort was iffy -- at best.

Gary Neal C-
He entered the game and started firing from everywhere. Mix in some poor defense and missed passes and you have the recipe that had Pop sitting Neal on the bench for the game's final 20 minutes.

Pop B+
Any win without Parker and Ginobili is a good win. Even a win that comes against a Hawks team that was devoid of most of its talent. And while Pop didn't have many of his players performing well, he found some successful lineups here and there.

ElNono
04-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Thanks LJ... hoping Tiago is just coasting after a very long season for him (a first). Not going to sound the alarm until we see what he shows in the 1st round.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-07-2013, 03:32 AM
I wish someone would pimpslap Splitter when he mopes for calls.

hater
04-07-2013, 03:54 AM
splitter is fine. just taking in his 2nd wind right before the playoffs.

Strategic
Looks like some teams are watching film on Splitter and figuring out what bothers him, or not. Something troublesome for sure. Thanks!

Strategic
splitter is fine. just taking in his 2nd wind right before the playoffs.

Hope so.

biskvito
04-07-2013, 04:13 AM
CIA Splitter?

bluebellmaniac
04-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Splitter.... hitting the wall. He has enough time to recoup before the playoffs though.

elemento
04-07-2013, 07:28 AM
1st thing - Thank GOD for Timmy

2nd thing - Not sure if we should be more worried about Splitter or Green. They don't look good at all.

John B
04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
I'd give Pops a lower grade. I'm disappointed that again they squandered the big lead instead of stepping on their opponent's neck, which is what championship teams do. Need to close games better. Where's the Aussies? With the big lead I think we could've used their production and get Baynes some needed NBA workout.

silverblk mystix
04-07-2013, 07:54 AM
I think it is a good thing that the spurs are sucking a bit...usually they wait until the 2nd round of the playoffs to get injured and/or hit a slump.

Pop also waits until a rookie coach makes a big adjustment resulting in Pop unable or unwilling to counter...this season Pop is fucking up early and just might get his 2nd wind in time for the 1st round of the playoffs.

will_spurs
04-07-2013, 07:54 AM
This game is best summed up by this: Johan Petro got a double-double. Johan. Frigging. Petro.

Chinook
04-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Danny Green D-
Struggled on offense due to the lack of playmakers. Struggled on defense because … well, I have no idea. The Spurs can't have Green revert to what he did last year in that his defensive intensity depended on what was happening on the offensive end.

I don't think it's fair to make that exact comparison. Green faltered last year because he was getting open and missing. To get down on yourself for that is bad because the offense was doing what it was supposed to do. Those were his shots, and he needed to stay focused to get out of his slump. Instead, he lost heart, and the whole system started to break down.

Last night, he barely touched the ball (ended only five possessions). It's more understandable (although no more excusable) to see him check out of a game mentally when he's not really being involved on offense. Players around the league do with all the time. Last year, his checking out was bad because it signified him losing his confidence. This year, his checking out is annoying, but it's not as worrying to me, yet.

Pop B+
Any win without Parker and Ginobili is a good win. Even a win that comes against a Hawks team that was devoid of most of its talent. And while Pop didn't have many of his players performing well, he found some successful lineups here and there.

To me, this part alone should prevent him from getting a good grade. It's a coach's job -- especially a coach of the Spurs where the plays pretty much run themselves now -- to keep his players focused and playing well. His rotations didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I guess the results could have been worse.

It's strange because Pop has shown an inclination toward trying to get players right mentally over doing whatever it takes to win an individual game. This was one of reasons, in my opinion, that he played Ginobili down the stretch of some games even when Manu was in Ginorrible mode. If Green and Neal are going to be in the playoff rotation, it should be one of Pop's priorities to get them ready mentally. I don't think pulling them and calling them (and the rest of the team) out is the right way to do that. But we'll see how it goes next game.

SenorSpur
04-07-2013, 08:32 AM
This was such a weird game. You never got the impression that that Hawks were going to win or that the Spurs were in deep trouble, but the Spurs could never put their foot on the gas and blow this team off the court. The final victory margin was due, in fact, more to the Spurs continuing late-game stupidity than anything else.

Green is looking more and more like the last year's version of himself in the WCF versus the Thunder, when he totally disappeared on both ends and was ultimately benched. Splitter has become ultra-passive and also resembles last year's "deer-in-the-headlights" playoff version of himself. Nando is proving to be a decent backup PG, but a terrible finisher around the rim. Neal is MIA and Jack is trying to find his mojo.

It's hard to figure what's wrong with this team. Duncan and Leonard cannot continue to carry this team until Parker returns. The rest of the contributors need to find themselves - quick.

mercos
04-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Splitter is a bit of a concern. He is playing more than he has ever played, so fatigue may be setting in. A lack of consistent touches isn't helping either. He goes a long time in between seeing the ball, and he just seems to lose focus out there. Hopefully he can get on a roll in the playoffs. We will see coming up if he is a big time player or not.

Kawhi Leonard is the key to the team's success this year though. The last two games have shown that he can play at a superstar level right now. It is all a matter of Pop getting him the ball, and Kawhi not deferring to the Big 3. Teams are going to key in on Parker come playoff time, and Kawhi has to be the one to make them pay. He can't settle for three pointers, he has to attack the basket and work off the dribble. If he does that, I love the Spurs chances. If not, it could be an early exit this year.

EVAY
04-07-2013, 10:20 AM
The trouble with both Green and Splitter is a lack of Parker and Ginobili. Neither Tiago nor Danny can create a play for themselves and it shows them up when Parker, mostly, is not available. They are entirely adequate role players within the Spurs system as it is intended to be run, but they are exposed when the system cannot be run because Parker and Ginobili are out due to injury or defensive attention from the opposing team.

People are always wanting Leonard to 'get more touches', and he is a truly talented player. If you notice, however, his talent is shown almost exclusively in one of two examples. He is a terrific spot up three point shooter within the Spurs normal offensive set, and he is a really good one-on-one player against a so-so defense.
What he cannot do, at least not yet, is create plays for other people or take a set shot that is not within the system. Eventually he will be able to do both of those things, I think. He is super talented and motivated as all get out. He just hasn't been taught how to end a fast break (he and Green are both horrible at it), and he cannot create a shot for anyone else not named Duncan.

I think his inability to create for anyone else is one of the reasons he has relatively few plays called for him on offense. Everyone who is paying attention knows that if his number is called and the defense stops him, the offensive set falls apart because he will take an ill-advised shot or lose the ball or give it someone who doesn't know any more what to do with it than he does.

As I said, he is learning and growing and will get there and when he does he will be unstoppable, I believe, but until then, he can be great or he can get us in trouble without Parker or Ginobili there to bail him out.

EVAY
04-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Let's face it, folks. Without Parker at 100%, we will likely not get out of the first round.

We barely beat a decimated Atlanta team last night even with Tim and Leonard having terrific games.

Like him or hate him, Parker is what makes this team great!

Ice009
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Let's face it, folks. Without Parker at 100%, we will likely not get out of the first round.

We barely beat a decimated Atlanta team last night even with Tim and Leonard having terrific games.

Like him or hate him, Parker is what makes this team great!

I disagree. Everyone played poorly last night except Tim. Kawhi wasn't good on defense at all. If everyone was sharper mentally and showed up focused with more effort and energy, then the Spurs would have won the game big (even without TP).

It's all about mental focus and TP has been lacking in that area too since he has come back.

EVAY
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I disagree. Everyone played poorly last night except Tim. Kawhi wasn't good on defense at all. If everyone was sharper mentally and showed up focused with more effort and energy, then the Spurs would have won the game big (even without TP).

It's all about mental focus and TP has been lacking in that area too since he has come back.
Since he apparently came back too soon, it would suggest that he was not 100 %, which is what I said we would need to win.

benstanfield
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Blair with 11 pts 7 rebounds and a -11 :lol

Truly empty stats.

SpurYank
04-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Tsk, Tsk. These Spurs of ours. Just can't play a perfect game. Even a win gets them bad grades.

Brunodf
04-07-2013, 01:12 PM
The trouble with both Green and Splitter is a lack of Parker and Ginobili. Neither Tiago nor Danny can create a play for themselves and it shows them up when Parker, mostly, is not available. They are entirely adequate role players within the Spurs system as it is intended to be run, but they are exposed when the system cannot be run because Parker and Ginobili are out due to injury or defensive attention from the opposing team.

Splitter and Green were playing really well when Tony was out(Spurs was 6-2)...I think it's lack of focus.

Budkin
04-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Had the Hawks regular players been there we would likely have been blown out.

TrainOfThought5
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Had the Hawks regular players been there we would likely have been blown out.

And had our regular players been there we would have blown them out.

Ice009
04-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Since he apparently came back too soon, it would suggest that he was not 100 %, which is what I said we would need to win.

He looked pretty good the first couple of games back, so again, I disagree. He got banged up in that Clippers game, but he wasn't focused mentally at the end of the 4th quarter (like the rest of his teammates) in any of the games.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2013, 08:45 PM
The Spurs need to find their chemistry again or we could be second round fodder.

Undoubtedly the injuries, which just keep coming, have affected the team's rhythm, but at this point in the season we should be seeing whoever is on the floor playing the system with energy and precision. Unfortunately, at the moment much of the team looks more like an engine in dire need of a service than a finely tuned unit clicking on all cylinders.

The signs aren't great with only a fortnight to the playoffs, but hopefully the team can sharpen things up in the first round and get a roll on for the tough stuff.

Strategic
04-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Used to just be crackers on the end of the bench. Now it's Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

cd021
04-08-2013, 12:27 AM

People are always wanting Leonard to 'get more touches', and he is a truly talented player. If you notice, however, his talent is shown almost exclusively in one of two examples. He is a terrific spot up three point shooter within the Spurs normal offensive set, and he is a really good one-on-one player against a so-so defense.
What he cannot do, at least not yet, is create plays for other people or take a set shot that is not within the system. Eventually he will be able to do both of those things, I think. He is super talented and motivated as all get out. He just hasn't been taught how to end a fast break (he and Green are both horrible at it), and he cannot create a shot for anyone else not named Duncan.

I think his inability to create for anyone else is one of the reasons he has relatively few plays called for him on offense. Everyone who is paying attention knows that if his number is called and the defense stops him, the offensive set falls apart because he will take an ill-advised shot or lose the ball or give it someone who doesn't know any more what to do with it than he does.

As I said, he is learning and growing and will get there and when he does he will be unstoppable, I believe, but until then, he can be great or he can get us in trouble without Parker or Ginobili there to bail him out.

Chicago & OKC are Elite defenses and both were road games where he had 24 points a piece.I agree with your other points. I think it raises the question of whether Leonard can be a offensive weapon with the big 3 healthy. Most of his great games has had a least 1 or 2 of the big 3 limited or out.

@ N.O (No Manu)
@ Chicago (No Big 3)
OKC (No Parker)
@ OKC (No Manu, Parker Limited)

Manufan909
04-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Chicago & OKC are Elite defenses and both were road games where he had 24 points a piece.I agree with your other points. I think it raises the question of whether Leonard can be a offensive weapon with the big 3 healthy. Most of his great games has had a least 1 or 2 of the big 3 limited or out.

@ N.O (No Manu)
@ Chicago (No Big 3)
OKC (No Parker)
@ OKC (No Manu, Parker Limited)

He is clearly part of the current Big 3, but he's just deferring too much. I hope he continues his assertiveness in the POs if and when Manu, Tim and Tony are all healthy. He'll need to average well over 15 pts AND be as close to Bowen as possible on the defensive end (a tall order of course, defensive stoppers tend to not expend much energy on O) in order for the Spurs to make The Finals this year. If that happens the new issue of the Spurs 3rd best player guarding the best player on the planet will arise. Hope Jax can cover Lebron 5-10 minutes a game while Kawhi "rests" on Wade.

Splitter will be the most important player against the Heat after Kawhi (outside of Tony/Timmy/Manu of course), because he can make the Heat pay dearly if they choose to go small like last year against OKC. Also, he needs to put Birdman in foul trouble early and not throw up weak shit that Anderson can feed on. Duncan should get the majority of the post touches, but Splitter need make sure that he sets an ass load of screens and positions himself well and out of TDs way for easy layups and such.

Speaking of Tiago, I truly hope the fatigue theory is correct, and not the game-planning one. He showed against OKC just a couple weeks ago that he has moves in the post (Idk if he'll ever be able to go 9-11 against defenders that don't bite on pump fakes so easily), so I believe he just need to get rid of his lazy on offense games. He'll never be an elite rebounder or shot-blocker, but I hope he can improve on this year by averaging 60%+ FG as a full-time starter next year.

Darius McCrary
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Just pray Tiago is purposely playing lazy. Becausehe's been horrible.

cd021
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
He is clearly part of the current Big 3, but he's just deferring too much. I hope he continues his assertiveness in the POs if and when Manu, Tim and Tony are all healthy. He'll need to average well over 15 pts AND be as close to Bowen as possible on the defensive end.

A player who emerges in the 2nd half of a season. Doesn't just replace someone who has been one of the 3 best Spurs since before 2005. Thats clearly an overreaction. He is forth. I was pointing out that has yet to a have a big game with all of the big 3 playing close to their average minutes. In the post season fewer possessions and Manu Parker & Duncan are going to have big minutes bump. More post play. I don't see him averaging 15 a game over the course of the post season. 12.5ppg sounds closers to reality. He can have a good series against any given team but lets not get carried away he is an above average player but Manu is the key to us winning another title, without Manu our bench is a mess and it places a heavier burden on our starters who can't rest without our bench digging them a hole.