PDA

View Full Version : Shaq thinks Malone will remain with Lakers

KoriEllis
09-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Shaq won't deliver Mailman to Miami

www.sun-sentinel.com/spor...-headlines (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heat10sep10,0,5205991.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines)

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted September 10 2004

The best answer to the Heat's uncertainty at power forward remains the offseason's biggest remaining question mark.

Karl Malone, the free-agent power forward who apparently intends to persist with his assault on Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all-time scoring record, continues to make it clear he is in no rush to resolve his free agency.

Recovering from offseason knee surgery, the 41-year-old veteran had been recruited earlier this summer by Heat center Shaquille O'Neal, who lured Malone to the Lakers last summer. However, an O'Neal associate said it was the center's belief that Malone eventually would elect to return to the Lakers. That possibility appears even stronger now that Malone's children have been enrolled in schools in suburban Los Angeles.

Media reports in recent days also have linked Malone to the Timberwolves and the Spurs.

Like the Heat, the Spurs could offer only the NBA minimum of $1.1 million for the coming season. The Lakers could offer slightly more, with the Timberwolves not believed to be a factor.

With less than a month until the Heat's Oct. 5 start of training camp at AmericanAirlines Arena, the team's options for its starting forward are limited to Malik Allen, its starter at the position two years ago, and Udonis Haslem, its rookie starter at the position last season.

Other options should the Heat elect to bolster its rotation at power forward could include Christian Laettner, the 35-year-old, 12-year veteran who was waived Thursday by the Warriors.

KoriEllis
09-10-2004, 06:27 AM
More Malone ...

Malone's destination uncertain

www.dailynews.com/Stories...96,00.html (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2391396,00.html)

By Ross Siler , Staff Writer

By Ross Siler , Staff Writer Amid reports that Karl Malone wants to play next season, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said Thursday he remains optimistic but uncertain that Malone will choose to remain in Los Angeles.
Kupchak said he has spoken with Malone in the past two weeks but the conversation did not delve into specifics. Malone has spent his offseason rehabbing his right knee and weighing offers from the Lakers, Miami, San Antonio and Minnesota.

"I don't think our feel of the situation is any different than it was a month or two months ago," Kupchak said. "I'll admit we're a little more antsy now because we would like him back and he hasn't decided yet."

Malone told the San Antonio Express-News on Thursday that he is going to be able to play this season. He also said he has made up his mind where he will play.

"I know what I want to do," said Malone, who would become the ninth player in NBA history to play past his 41st birthday. "I'm just not ready to say yet."

A report earlier this week that Minnesota's Kevin Garnett and Flip Saunders were flying to Southern California to meet with Malone was refuted by Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale on Thursday.

But commenting in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, McHale did not hide his interest in the forward: "If Malone decides he wants to play, we would love to try to work something out with him."

Kupchak said the Lakers would continue to be patient with Malone, who took a pay cut to sign as a free agent last summer and tore up his knee twice during the season. The Lakers can offer Malone a $1.8 million contract for his final season, although championship potential and family priorities are also part of the equation.

"A lot of guys would have signed a month ago to have some security," Kupchak said. "He's really gone beyond the call. He wants to make sure he can play."

The Lakers reserved the $4.9-million midlevel exception for Malone, who in turn gave the club his blessing in July to use the money to sign free-agent center Vlade Divac. At the time, Kupchak said every indication he received was that Malone wanted to remain a Laker.

Should Malone not return, the Lakers would turn to Brian Grant at power forward, with Chris Mihm, Slava Medvedenko and Brian Cook all counted on for substantial contributions.

"It's not really what we'd hope for, but I think we'd be able to get going and far enough into the season to get a feel for what we need to do," Kupchak said. "But you can't compare a team having Karl Malone to not having him."

Polandprzem
09-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Malone will sign the best team in....

... February.