PDA

View Full Version : did this really happen??

hater
04-07-2013, 10:06 PM
:wow I missed the Heat game thankfully cause I probably would have broke my tv after seeing this. did this really happen or was this photoshopped???

5b9KOpkie8M

HI-FI
04-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Yep. I believe I just laughed it off in the game thread. just the league taking care of business, so no reason for me to have an aneurysm over it.

hater
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
wow just wow

spurs10
04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Sad to say it did really happen, and I believe it changed the outcome of the game. Literally the worst call I've seen since game 6 of the WCF. Pretty disgraceful eh??

superjames1992
04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Kawhi Leonard hacked him. If you didn't see that, then you're a blind Spurs homer.

:lol

hater
04-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Sad to say it did really happen, and I believe it changed the outcome of the game. Literally the worst call I've seen since game 6 of the WCF. Pretty disgraceful eh??

which game changing call in game 6 WCF is close to this? I have pretty bad memory

UZER
04-07-2013, 10:36 PM
:lol just posted this downstairs

The game is impossible to outright rig, but extremely easy to highly influence with a call / no call be it a foul, travel, 3 seconds, etc.

Calls are missed both ways all the time, but when the majority of those missed calls over the years favor one team more than any other, it definitely raises eyebrows.

FromWayDowntown
04-07-2013, 10:47 PM
What should be troubling about that is that the call was made by Jason Phillips, who had been chastised earlier that week for not calling a foul on Kobe's "block" of Rubio at the end of a Lakers/T'Wolves game. Two instances of really bad judgment late in games (even Spoelstra seemed to admit that the call was iffy after the ame) by am official who the league believes is one of its best. Phillips has spent most of this season as a crew chief, which would seem to suggest that he was in line to work late into the postseason. He has been demoted more recently to just a crew official on at least a few nights (Joey was the crew chief of the Miami game), but Phillips is apparently still considered by the league to bea really good official at this point. I have a feeling that officiating -- and, more particularly, the inexperience of officials who are going to be asked to make huge calls over the next couple months -- is going to be a big story during the coming playoffs. I hope I'm wrong, but the league's publicly-knowable assessments of its officials aren't reassuring.

KaiRMD1
04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Yeah it happened, Kawhi needs to play better defense because that was such a dirty foul. And this guy is supposed to be the second coming of Bruce Brown HA! That's a riot!

/Sarcasm

hater
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM
What should be troubling about that is that the call was made by Jason Phillips, who had been chastised earlier that week for not calling a foul on Kobe's "block" of Rubio at the end of a Lakers/T'Wolves game. Two instances of really bad judgment late in games (even Spoelstra seemed to admit that the call was iffy after the ame) by am official who the league believes is one of its best. Phillips has spent most of this season as a crew chief, which would seem to suggest that he was in line to work late into the postseason. He has been demoted more recently to just a crew official on at least a few nights (Joey was the crew chief of the Miami game), but Phillips is apparently still considered by the league to bea really good official at this point. I have a feeling that officiating -- and, more particularly, the inexperience of officials who are going to be asked to make huge calls over the next couple months -- is going to be a big story during the coming playoffs. I hope I'm wrong, but the league's publicly-knowable assessments of its officials aren't reassuring.

more troubling is didn't NBA apologize for that Rubio nonfoul, and of course did they apologize for this?? I doubt Stern would apologize to Spurs ever again. The feud is obvious

You know it's a disgusting call when Joey Crawford runs away from it

like that youtuber said, this is more disgusting that the kevin ware play :lol

spurs10
04-07-2013, 11:14 PM
which game changing call in game 6 WCF is close to this? I have pretty bad memory
Well it's going to be hard to find any call this ridiculous, but I remember Kawhi getting clubbed over the head and not getting a foul call for one. Tim uncharacteristically spoke about the officiating after the game. Remember a lot of no calls against Manu as well. Probably nothing like Cole simply falling over and Kawhi getting a foul called on him because he was in the vicinity. It's was actually really great defense on Kawhi's part. Thought we had the game.

mercos
04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
If that call isn't made, Spurs get the ball with about 30 seconds left, up 3. The game should not have been that close, but that call kept Miami alive and allowed Bosh to hit the game winning three. You may as well expect any 50/50 calls to go the other way when the Spurs play the Heat/Thunder/Lakers. In the UFC, Dana White always tells fighters don't let it go to a judges decision. The Spurs have to play the same way. If you are up by 10 or 20, it is a lot harder to let the officials determine the outcome. I realize that is easier said than done, but that is how it goes in this league.

TE
04-07-2013, 11:26 PM
You should quote that tbh...I'll bump this at the necessary time.

in2deep
04-07-2013, 11:31 PM
The Spurs have to play the same way. If you are up by 10 or 20, it is a lot harder to let the officials determine the outcome. I realize that is easier said than done, but that is how it goes in this league.

not sure I agree with that.

a couple of bad calls can easily help a team erase a 10 pt lead

LakerHater
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211620&page=28&p=6450648&viewfull=1#post6450648

Proxy
04-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Yeah... was with a group of friends who aren't into sports, but I made them watch the game anyways and even they were perplexed at the call.

DapDaGenius
04-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Sadly, yes. If I remember correctly, that was apart of a 3 game streak(or at least 3 games very close to each other) where Kawhi had fouls called on him towards the end of the game. Again, IIRC, he did commit the other 2 fouls, but not this one. This was a clear BS call. Oh well, I wish we played better that game. We played bad that game, we should've pounded that team out, but people had/have lingering injuries, no Manu & banged up Tony. We still should have won this game, regardless.

TampaDude
04-08-2013, 06:38 AM
He should be warned or fined for flopping, but he won't be.

Brazil
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
:lol

dbestpro
04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Calling the game straight up for rookie or star would go a long way to fixing the problems with officiating.

Captivus
04-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Spurs FO doesnt care. Otherwise they would say something, Cuban style.

therealtruth
04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Used to happen to Bruce Bowen also. The best thing to do is to keep your hands up so the refs can see where they are.

Spur|n|Austin
04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I broke my remote control on that call.

TwoHandJam
04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
If that call isn't made, Spurs get the ball with about 30 seconds left, up 3. The game should not have been that close, but that call kept Miami alive and allowed Bosh to hit the game winning three. You may as well expect any 50/50 calls to go the other way when the Spurs play the Heat/Thunder/Lakers. In the UFC, Dana White always tells fighters don't let it go to a judges decision. The Spurs have to play the same way. If you are up by 10 or 20, it is a lot harder to let the officials determine the outcome. I realize that is easier said than done, but that is how it goes in this league.

And that is why the league is a joke. Big money leads to "special" officiating and year after year of Stern trying to suffocate scandals. Officiating in the NBA is a farce.

I still love to watch my Spurs but I've become less and less attached to the NBA and will probably only tune in seriously to watch the playoff games this year. It sucks to watch games knowing that your small market team will never get a fair shake. The "darlings" of the NBA are already legitimately good teams so it's unfair that a rival needs to win games by a double digit margin just to take the refs out of the equation. Not even remotely realistic that a small market team could field a team that could consistently beat the Heat by 10 points.

The league is only a hair above the WWE with it's agenda of promoting the big city markets and their "superstars". NBA "entertainment". There's truth in that.

TDomination
04-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I still can't get over this one. No not the ejection, but the foul on Oberto.

Watch at 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOygTd1NWCM

jimbo
04-08-2013, 10:19 AM
TP got away with a clear travel like a possession or two before. (obvious enough for Sean to say he got 2.5 steps, and you know how Sean is) The Norris Cole shit was a makeup call imo.

AFBlue
04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I can actually see how the ref could call tripping at full speed. It's much easier to see that he got the chair pulled in slow motion or if he were at a standstill when it occurred (as with post players).

Unfortunate call at an unfortunate time, but it wasn't an egregious error imo tbqh.

Budkin
04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
That call cost us the game.

benefactor
04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
That call cost us the game.
I'm more apt to believe that Green and Splitter playing like shit against the Heat's scrubs and the team missing 7 of their 16 free throws cost them the game, but that's...you know...just my opinion man.

TheGoldStandard
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Officials have always had an influence in the game and can control it with ease with foul calls, refs that make bogus calls never have to answer to anyone, there's no investigations, they report to no one and we just brush it aside. The 2002 SAC Kings can vouch for this when the refs jobbed them to the Lakers in order to keep them in the series or else they would have gone home and The Fuhrer Stern would have had a shitty Finals that year.

Drachen
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I still can't get over this one. No not the ejection, but the foul on Oberto.

Watch at 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOygTd1NWCM

what was I watching? Jordan Vs Bird for the NES

Beaverfuzz
04-08-2013, 10:29 PM
That was Basketball for the Atari 2600, shot with a potato.

FromWayDowntown
04-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm more apt to believe that Green and Splitter playing like shit against the Heat's scrubs and the team missing 7 of their 16 free throws cost them the game, but that's...you know...just my opinion man.

Absolutely true. If the Spurs had played with any sort of drive and passion and done the little things that are necessary to win, the call would have been irrelevant.

While I do think there will be some major officiating issue in the coming playoffs, I still don't subscribe to the notion that officials turn games, in general. Great teams play through bad calls, get stops, and find ways to score. If you can't do those things, you don't deserve to win, no matter how egregious the officiating might be.

Horse
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
:wow I missed the Heat game thankfully cause I probably would have broke my tv after seeing this. did this really happen or was this photoshopped???

5b9KOpkie8M
One of the worst calls you will ever see. And if we somehow make the finals you'll see a whole lot more like that. I would expect that if it was lebron but fucking norris cole? Cost us the game.

Horse
04-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Officials have always had an influence in the game and can control it with ease with foul calls, refs that make bogus calls never have to answer to anyone, there's no investigations, they report to no one and we just brush it aside. The 2002 SAC Kings can vouch for this when the refs jobbed them to the Lakers in order to keep them in the series or else they would have gone home and The Fuhrer Stern would have had a shitty Finals that year.

Don't forget portland in game 7, 2000 taking up the ass from the refs.

Horse
04-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Absolutely true. If the Spurs had played with any sort of drive and passion and done the little things that are necessary to win, the call would have been irrelevant.

While I do think there will be some major officiating issue in the coming playoffs, I still don't subscribe to the notion that officials turn games, in general. Great teams play through bad calls, get stops, and find ways to score. If you can't do those things, you don't deserve to win, no matter how egregious the officiating might be.

But when you have the best teams out there, evenly matched, a bad call or two can surley be the difference. It' nice to pretend the game is fair. It was fun to believe in santa and the easter bunny but then we find out it's all a fairy tale.

therealtruth
04-09-2013, 06:41 PM

The Kings definitely got robbed in game 6 but they choked away game 7 at the foul line and some airball 3's in crunch time.

Don't forget portland in game 7, 2000 taking up the ass from the refs.

Same thing with the Blazers. They had the lead in the 4th and choked the game away.

You can't expect to just win a game by default you have to actually be the aggressor and take the game. Those teams failed to capitalize when they had the Lakers down and as a result they lost.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, glad I wasn't watching or I would've broken something. What a load of fucking BS.

timtonymanu
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
I was more annoyed with the Spurs' drive and focus all game than I was with that call.

Horse
04-10-2013, 12:49 PM
The Kings definitely got robbed in game 6 but they choked away game 7 at the foul line and some airball 3's in crunch time.

Same thing with the Blazers. They had the lead in the 4th and choked the game away.

You can't expect to just win a game by default you have to actually be the aggressor and take the game. Those teams failed to capitalize when they had the Lakers down and as a result they lost.

I will never believe game 7 in 2000 was not fixed, it was either the refs or someone got to one of the blazers but that shit was too fishy.

sammy
04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Agreed! Spurs will have to play with a lead to overcome the refs bias! I threw my TV table when that crap call was called against Leonard!

Norris Cole
04-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Leonard stuck out his leg and tripped him but lets be real, it was a game against Miami's scrubs.

hater
04-10-2013, 05:20 PM
unfortunately those who claim the solution to bad reffereeing is to have a bigger lead just don't get it. What lead is big enough to overcome a few terrible calls? 20, 30pts? I know damn well a 10-15 point lead can be erased easily in the NBA. Its just not realistic

UZER
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
unfortunately those who claim the solution to bad reffereeing is to have a bigger lead just don't get it. What lead is big enough to overcome a few terrible calls? 20, 30pts? I know damn well a 10-15 point lead can be erased easily in the NBA. Its just not realistic

I also hate when people say, well the game really shouldn't have come down to that call. No shit, but guess what, the game just came down to that call. Yes, they should've been up by ten, yes they shouldve made their free throws. We all know this. But that still does not excuse a bad call changing the outcome of a game.

pgardn
04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
We played so horribly it seemed justified.

Seemed we were more upset with the poor play at the time.
It was a stupefying call however.

therealtruth
04-10-2013, 09:58 PM

I would say at least a 20 pt lead against a Heat team missing 3 starters.