PDA

View Full Version : Fullback with a tailback?

Avante
04-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Once upon a time the top rushers in the NFL were fullbacks. Jimmy Brown was a fullback, Jim Taylor was a fullback. Brown did have speedster Bobby Mitchell beside him (at first) Taylor had Hornung, then here came Czonka and Mercury Morris, John Riggins had Joe Washington.

As we know in todays game the fullback is either not there or some pounder who might catch a few passes. What if they brought the monster fullback with the speed demon beside him back? Would it work in todays game?

Clipper Nation
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
You're a faggot...

Lincoln
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
You're a faggot

Avante
04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
You're a faggot...

translation

So tell me Avante who was the first great thunder and lightnin' duo?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would be Red "The Galloping Ghost" Grange and Bronko Nagurski with the Bears, way back in the day. Probably the most famous however was the college tantum at Army with Doc "Mr.Inside" Blanchard and Glenn "Mr. Outside" Davis, both would win the Heisman.

Avante
04-09-2013, 12:37 PM
You're a faggot

translation

So tell me Avante, who was the first great Redskin running back?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was Larry Brown out of Kansas State.

Avante
04-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I do get a kick out of the dummies, hahaha!!!!!!

Anyway....

A big brusier at fullback, beside him a swift/elusive tailback, now add a Qb who can motor. Think of the options. How do you defend that?

Seahawks with Robert Turpin at fullback, Lynch at tailback and Russell behind center, hmmm?

Clipper Nation
04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
You're a faggot....

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
You're a faggot

Avante
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
You're a faggot

translation

So tell me Avante who was the first great Boston Patriots back?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was Larry Garron out of Western Illinois.

Avante
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
This is fun.

KoolAid Mans Brother
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/1in989.jpg

Avante
04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/1in989.jpg

translation

So tell me Avante, just who was the fastest of the white running backs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won't go back to the days of Jim Thorpe/Red Grange.

The fastest paleface back, it was either "Jaguar" Jon Arnett with the Rams who was a college long jumper/sprinter or Hugh "The King" McElhenny with the Niners who was a Cali State hurdles champion, both had some serious wheels.

Dickie Post was more quick than fast.

Lincoln
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
translation

So tell me Avante, just who was the fastest of the white running backs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won't go back to the days of Jim Thorpe/Red Grange.

The fastest paleface back, it was either "Jaguar" Jon Arnett with the Rams who was a college long jumper/sprinter or Hugh "The King" McElhenny with the Niners who was a Cali State hurdles champion, both had some serious wheels.

Dickie Post was more quick than fast.
You're a faggot

Avante
04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
You're a faggot

translation

So tell me Avante, other than Darrel Green who was the fastest Redskin?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would be Larance "Larry" Jones out of nearby Lemoore, he was a world class 400m man in college.

This is funnier than hell, all this.."oh my God a guy who knows pre 2000 football"...hahahaha!!!!!!

Trill Clinton
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
What if they brought the monster fullback with the speed demon beside him back? Would it work in todays game?

won't work. the fullback position is an afterthought at this juncture. the athletes of today are much faster, quicker and athletic than the athletes of jimmy brown and csonka's time. aint nobody got time to hold a roster spot for a 5'10 250 player who is only good at run blocking and is slower than molasses.

Avante
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
won't work. the fullback position is an afterthought at this juncture. the athletes of today are much faster, quicker and athletic than the athletes of jimmy brown and csonka's time. aint nobody got time to hold a roster spot for a 5'10 250 player who is only good at run blocking and is slower than molasses.

I agree if we are talking about a guy slower than molasses. Then there's guys like LaGarrette Blount, LenDel White, around 240 with some juice. A guy who can break it. That D start cheating up, it's the tailback out in the flat, around end, the QB taking off after play action. Ya back the D off now it's a 240 pounder with some jets right up the gut.

Nothing wears a D down faster than trying to stuff the run, beat on them for three quarters then start tossing it around.

Clipper Nation
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
You're a faggot

Avante
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
You're a faggot

translation

So tell me Avante, who was the first great Charger back?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would be Paul Lowe a long strider (hurdler) out of Oregon State. He was great!

Clipper Nation
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
translation

Who's the biggest faggot on ST?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would be Avante....

Avante
04-09-2013, 03:27 PM
translation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would be Avante....

It must really bug ya not knowing shit doesn't it? Just think stupid I'm a Niner fan who could school you on your own team, hahahaha!!!!!!! Ever hear of Keith Lincoln, of course not.

Chris
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Mike Alstott

/thread

Clipper Nation
04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
It must really bug ya not knowing shit doesn't it? Just think stupid I'm a Niner fan who could school you on your own team, hahahaha!!!!!!! Ever hear of Keith Lincoln, of course not.

translation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would be Avante....

Trill Clinton
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I agree if we are talking about a guy slower than molasses. Then there's guys like LaGarrette Blount, LenDel White, around 240 with some juice. A guy who can break it. That D start cheating up, it's the tailback out in the flat, around end, the QB taking off after play action. Ya back the D off now it's a 240 pounder with some jets right up the gut.

Nothing wears a D down faster than trying to stuff the run, beat on them for three quarters then start tossing it around.

what ever happened to lendel? haven't heard from that guy in a long time.

Avante
04-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Mike Alstott

/thread

Great example with 10.3 sprinter Warrick Dunn.

Avante
04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
what ever happened to lendel? haven't heard from that guy in a long time.

He ate himself out of the league, couldn't keep his weight reasonable.

Chris
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Alstott was a beast in general. He could do anything on the field - block,run,catch,run after the catch, durable. Definitely my all-time favorite fullback.

Avante
04-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Alstott was a beast in general. He could do anything on the field - block,run,catch,run after the catch, durable. Definitely my all-time favorite fullback.

Like I mentioned I do believe there is a place for guys like an Alstott, Tom Rathman. A guy who can block, catch some passes and do more than just fall down. No defender likes to deal with big powerful backs, they do take a toll, by the middle of the third quarter the defense is tired of dealing with a Mike Alstott while he's just warming up.

Chris
04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Adrian Peterson attributes his almost record breaking season in 2012 to fullback Jerome Felton who did a lot of the dirty work to get AP those nice holes and get to the second level. It still exists in todays game, but fullbacks rarely get any credit unless you're listening to a radio broadcast.

Avante
04-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Adrian Peterson attributes his almost record breaking season in 2012 to fullback Jerome Felton who did a lot of the dirty work to get AP those nice holes and get to the second level. It still exists in todays game, but fullbacks rarely get any credit unless you're listening to a radio broadcast.

Then there was Lorenzo Neal. I'm not talking about just a lineman in the backfield however. I'm talking about a fullback who is a big part of the offense, he's punishing backers and running over db's out in the flats and does some blocking. Someone a defense has to plan on.

Lincoln
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Same with Alfred and dy. dy was effective when he got touches this year, even had a td pass or more iirc

He will be more in the offense next yr

Chris
04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Same with Alfred and dy. dy was effective when he got touches this year, even had a td pass or more iirc

He will be more in the offense next yr

Shanahan is a sneaky offensive coordinator. I'm sure he's got some plays designed for Young in those set formations, but DY's primary job should be keeping RGIII on the field on those bootlegs option plays.

DeadlyDynasty
04-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Yeah it's an antiquated position in today's NFL, but some teams are still successful with it. Rice and Leach make it work, especially behind that massive o-line

Avante
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
I am talking about the fullback playing a major role, not unlike Larry Czonka back in the day. Ya wanna beat up a defense, toss a big powerful back or backs at them. It will take some of the fight out of them come that third quarter. Now everything becomes easier , hell throw some TE's in there running from the fullback position.

Bang bang and bang, offensive linemen love it.