PDA

View Full Version : Could we not resign Manu if Kawhi breaks out?

Cklbmk
04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Imagine if we let him walk what we could do with that capspace.

DesignatedT
04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Tell us, what could we do?

Cklbmk
04-09-2013, 06:56 PM
sign korver and tony allen or do something crazy like add josh smith

ChumpDumper
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
"We" could lose thousands of season ticket holders. :tu

BatManu20
04-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Spurs FO has already said they didn't seriously consider trading for Josh Smith because he isn't "A Spurs kinda guy." So, that's out of the question. Plus he's highly inefficient offensively.

BatManu20
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Manu's not going anywhere. He's signing a 2-year deal this off-season, and playing at least one of them.

Pop
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't think that's an option unless he wants to retire, that said I wouldn't bet the house on someone like Splitter resigning, I think it's all up to his playoff performance.

hater
04-09-2013, 07:13 PM
what we need is a playmaker. there are not many competent SGs out there.

I'd be for signing a backup PG like Calderon to handle playmaking and offering Manu the bare minimum to be a 3rd ball handler/low minute backup SG.

TMTTRIO
04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I really wish Manu would retire. What more does he have left to play for?

superjames1992
04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I really wish Manu would retire. What more does he have left to play for?
Did you wish for David Robinson to retire before the 2003 season, too?

superjames1992
04-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Manu is the best value we can get with that cash. That would be an awful idea.

Korver? Manu can fill that role and more. Josh Smith? LOL, not just no, but hell no. Pop doesn't let cancerous tumors on this moral team.

Dunc n Dave
04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
OK, I'll bite...

We COULD hold on to the cap space until before the season starts and use it to pick up a guy who is being salary dumped at the last minute or amnestied by a team looking to avoid the much stiffer luxury tax penalties that start next season. Especially is some team offers Splitter a ridiculous amount of money that the Spurs aren't willing to match.

Guys that come to mind are Pau Gasol, Andre Bargnani, & Carlos Boozer, or even Tyrus Thomas. Any of those guys could end up being amnesty casualties this summer and then picked up for a fraction of their current contracts. Remember that's how the Clippers ended up with Billups for cheap, also Dallas getting Brand, and the Suns getting Scola, etc.

But if the Spurs re-sign Splitter for close to $9 or 10 million (as a lot of people expect his going rate will be this off season) this is all a moot point as there won't be enough left under the cap to beat out an MLE contract offer without renouncing rights to everyone else. Might as well re-sign Manu (for $6-8 million) and Jack (for a vet minimum contract) and use the MLE if they see a guy they can't pass up on.

TheGoldStandard
04-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Imagine what he could possibly do to us if he signed with someone like the Thunder.

Imagine if Gary Neal was paired with Westbrook 14/56 for 34 points combined meanwhile Durant 8/12

TheGoldStandard
04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Where did Gary Neal come from?

He'll probably be a casualty this offseason as well, might end up with a contender who needs a bench scorer.

chapnis
04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/3773559+_87be5c734d1405da1cd72c4337074836.jpg

kaji157
04-09-2013, 11:31 PM

And thatīs why you donīt run sports franchise...

BackHome
04-09-2013, 11:53 PM
I am ok with signing him to a two year deal for 10 mill anymore then that and I would let him walk.

As far as Splitter I see us signing a Lopez type of contract which I believe is around 7 mill.

LarryDavid
04-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Quality question. I think John Lennon would be proud.

Boomersgold
04-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Manu is the best value we can get with that cash. That would be an awful idea.

Korver? Manu can fill that role and more. Josh Smith? LOL, not just no, but hell no. Pop doesn't let cancerous tumors on this moral team.

He's also getting paid much, much more.

Phenomanul
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
He's also getting paid much, much more.

Based on his track record he's more than earned his share... Especially given the fact that his rookie contract was so cheap...

Embedded
04-10-2013, 01:58 PM
LOL Josh Smith is such a bonehead, I can't remember which game it was I watched, but he made boneheaded play after boneheaded play, and ultimately made a goof at the end that cost them the game.

slick'81
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
we still need gino just for far less than what he making now

TMTTRIO
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Not a really great translation but it sounds like Manu has some doubts now about playing after this season with the injuries he's been getting. This is from his latest column.
In my personal situation, as you know, I'll be a free agent when the season ends. In no time, there was a chance to renew before. Tim did last year and I will not do me neither. At the time I said I wanted to play two more years, which I think is the most consistent. Such things as injury rather f**k. I'm not saying that you feel like quitting, because it is not something serious. But you do not know how it will come back.

jestersmash
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Not a really great translation but it sounds like Manu has some doubts now about playing after this season with the injuries he's been getting. This is from his latest column.

Where is this from?

rascal
04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
OK, I'll bite...

We COULD hold on to the cap space until before the season starts and use it to pick up a guy who is being salary dumped at the last minute or amnestied by a team looking to avoid the much stiffer luxury tax penalties that start next season. Especially is some team offers Splitter a ridiculous amount of money that the Spurs aren't willing to match.

Guys that come to mind are Pau Gasol, Andre Bargnani, & Carlos Boozer, or even Tyrus Thomas. Any of those guys could end up being amnesty casualties this summer and then picked up for a fraction of their current contracts. Remember that's how the Clippers ended up with Billups for cheap, also Dallas getting Brand, and the Suns getting Scola, etc.

But if the Spurs re-sign Splitter for close to $9 or 10 million (as a lot of people expect his going rate will be this off season) this is all a moot point as there won't be enough left under the cap to beat out an MLE contract offer without renouncing rights to everyone else. Might as well re-sign Manu (for $6-8 million) and Jack (for a vet minimum contract) and use the MLE if they see a guy they can't pass up on.

This is about it for the off season. Expect the Spurs to bring back the same core. They will run this current roster to the ground.

Poolboy5623
04-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Did you wish for David Robinson to retire before the 2003 season, too?

With all due respect, Manu is no DRob..I just hope Manus play doesn't continue to drop off so rapidly. Everyone seems to think he's going to return to some former shade of himself. Im not seeing it. I hope the Spurs get him at a fair price. He's still a great passer and a good shooter, when left open. Will be interesting to see how much $$ he commands.

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 08:43 PM
With all due respect, Manu is no DRob..I just hope Manus play doesn't continue to drop off so rapidly. Everyone seems to think he's going to return to some former shade of himself. Im not seeing it. I hope the Spurs get him at a fair price. He's still a great passer and a good shooter, when left open. Will be interesting to see how much $$ he commands.
I never said Manu was as good as David. However, David Robinson's play dropped off severely in his last few seasons. Should he have retired after the 2001 season?

Poolboy5623
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Heck no..I thought Dave could have played atleast one more year and maybe a second...basketball was never David's "life"..he made this clear many times, and with that said, he definitely went out when he should have...on top. I'm not saying they should just dump Manu by the wayside...just need to get him for the right price. Over spending on a guy that gets injured every third game, isn't too wise?

Poolboy5623
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Didn't Dave return after the 2003 season?

DJR210
04-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I would hate to see Manu in another Jersey, but if he wants much more than the veterans minimum it may be a reality that I'm not against..

Poolboy5623
04-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Very similar to what happened to urlacher and the bears(am a fan)...only nobody wants him to bad..I'm sure a contender would pay Manu a nice salary to steal him away, no?

DJR210
04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Very similar to what happened to urlacher and the bears(am a fan)...only nobody wants him to bad..I'm sure a contender would pay Manu a nice salary to steal him away, no?

Right, not to mention the value behind picking Manu's brain for the "Coporate Knowledge"..

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Didn't Dave return after the 2003 season?
No.

spurraider21
04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
honestly, games like today are why we still need Manu

Homeland Security
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Manu Ginobili turns 36 in July. He's an at age when shooting guards with his style of play break down because their aging bodies give out. Manu Ginobili gives every indication that he is breaking down because his aging body is giving out. I don't see any point in re-signing him except for sentimental reasons.

elemento
04-11-2013, 12:54 PM
No, SA should re-sign him. But at this point, Manu can't be delusional about his contract.

I think SA should re-sign him, but they should not overpay.

ShinerBlack
04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
At this point there aren't many options for the Spurs. They need him to resign even if he only plays 15 to 20 min a game. He's not going to want a huge contract, he hasn't demanded one yet so why would he now? He doesn't need to be Manu of 2005, he just needs to not be injured all the damn time.

superjames1992
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Manu Ginobili turns 36 in July. He's an at age when shooting guards with his style of play break down because their aging bodies give out. Manu Ginobili gives every indication that he is breaking down because his aging body is giving out. I don't see any point in re-signing him except for sentimental reasons.
Most players have already broken down by this point, tbh. Manu has a good three-point shot, typically, so I think he should be relatively effective for another few years as a shooter, tbh.

Tbh, people have been saying Manu was going to break down for the past half-decade and he really hasn't so much yet (though he is obviously getting injured more and playing less minutes). Tbh, Manu's game is less dependent on raw speed and bursting ability. Parker will probably have issues with age, though.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-11-2013, 07:13 PM
I am interested to see how the Spurs handle the negotiations. He has been on the IR for three stretches this year and been multiple times in the preceding year as well.

His latest stretch before he went down was particularly awful by his standards. His quickness is gone. He has no lateral mobility on defense. Quicker defenders are fighting over screens and poking the ball away from behind.

He will be one year older next year and I cannot see him demanding much on the FA market. If Duncan is making $9.7m then what is Manu worth to us?

Splits
04-11-2013, 07:21 PM
I am interested to see how the Spurs handle the negotiations. He has been on the IR for three stretches this year and been multiple times in the preceding year as well.

His latest stretch before he went down was particularly awful by his standards. His quickness is gone. He has no lateral mobility on defense. Quicker defenders are fighting over screens and poking the ball away from behind.

He will be one year older next year and I cannot see him demanding much on the FA market. If Duncan is making $9.7m then what is Manu worth to us?

All depends on the playoffs. If he is out or ineffective or can only play 20 min a game, then we can probably get him for 2 years, $7-9 million or so. Or perhaps a team option on the 2nd year, to see if he can get himself straight next season.

If he's right and playing 30 minutes and a key component to a deep playoff run, then we're probably talking 2 years, $13-15m.

Poolboy5623
04-11-2013, 07:23 PM
No.

Wow, my bad...just noticed now it says "return" and not "retired"...I meant that to say retired. You mentioned 2001 in your previous post. That's where I was confused..nbd..

jimbo
04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
They'll probably overpay him a little since he was underpaid for a lot of his career.

TheGoldStandard
04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
We should sign Manu to a 2 Million contract for 2 years with an incentive heavy contract... miss less than 40 games 500k miss less than 30 games 750k miss less than 20 games 1 Million.. Miss the first round of the playoffs you owe us 2 Million.

Richie
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM
The problem hasn't been freak injuries like a broken arm in 2011, he's been pulling muscles and having back spasms, sign of his body breaking down.

It must be noted that he played in the Olympics so didn't have much rest this summer. However, regardless of the playoffs I don't think we can commit to more than $5m/year. He's going to miss a lot of games over his next contract, and that means he needs to come cheap so we can sign a free agent to replace some of his production.

Pop
04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd fire Pop and hire Manu as the new coach tbh.

TMTTRIO
04-11-2013, 09:17 PM
people keep talking as if Manu's going to resign. I really think after this injury and knowing that they keep reoccurring like he said he's going to seriously consider retiring so it won't matter how much we offer anymore.

Austin_Toros
04-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Prediction: Manu will be overpaid when he resigns