PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Jamal Sampson

timvp
07-07-2005, 07:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jamal_sampson.jpghttp://www.nba.com/bobcats/images/bobcats_logo.gif

Jamal Sampson | 31
Position: F-C
Born: 05/15/83
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106,6 kg.
College: California '05

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jamal_sampson/)

Of the guys on the Spurs' summer league roster, this guy probably has the most potential. He's played limited minutes in his three years in the NBA, but his per-48 minute stats are impressive. He's tall and plays with emotion.

The knock on him is he's a little soft and doesn't have much offensive game. There may also be some questions regarding his character.

In 2004, he averaged 5.2 rebounds in 13 minutes per game as a Laker. In 2005, he averaged 5.3 rebounds in 14.3 minutes per game as a Bobcat. Those are impressive numbers, especially considering this guy is only 22 years old.

I like him as IR fodder and a guy who can learn and grow in the Spurs' system.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I hope he doesn't get snapped up before he gets a chance to play for our SL team.

Leetonidas
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Yep, the Spurs need someone with cornrows. I like him!

spurschick
07-07-2005, 08:29 PM
There may also be some questions regarding his character.

Can you be more specific?

timvp
07-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Can you be more specific?

Nothing I know about specifically, but that was cited when he fell in the draft. Lack of work ethic has been mentioned.

Also, I find it odd that an expansion team would let him go after putting up pretty good stats last season. That's a little bit of a red flag.

CalsonicKansei
07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
They always say "has huge potential", remember Beno, when they said he had potential.

spurschick
07-07-2005, 08:34 PM
They always say "has huge potential", remember Beno, when they said he had potential.

Yeah, except that Beno does have potential.

Mr. Body
07-07-2005, 08:37 PM
People need to lay off Beno. He has more than potential.

exstatic
07-07-2005, 10:04 PM
In 2004, he averaged 5.2 rebounds in 13 minutes per game as a Laker. In 2005, he averaged 5.3 rebounds in 14.3 minutes per game as a Bobcat.

And some people want fucking Eddie Curry, who hits those numbers in, like, twice the minutes. THIS is a guy with potential, who has actually produced something: rebounds and some blocks in limited minutes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I liked Jamal Sampson when he was at Cal. Rebounding is a reflection of effort, IMO, and so I like those numbers.

I know he's not the most talented guy offensively, but neither is Nazr and he fit in pretty well. If Sampson could come off the bench and snag 5 boards in 12 minutes and play some D I'd be happy.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
He'd be a nice pickup.

timvp
07-08-2005, 03:42 PM
And some people want fucking Eddie Curry, who hits those numbers in, like, twice the minutes. THIS is a guy with potential, who has actually produced something: rebounds and some blocks in limited minutes.

Yeah, I didn't even notice his blocks. He looks like a good shot blocker as well. In his last three games he played in the season, he had 26 rebounds in 52 minutes.

I wonder why he didn't play after January. Did he get injured or waived or what?

timvp
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
The Bobcats waived Jamal Sampson on Tuesday after various injuries limited him to playing just 23 of 44 games this season, according to the AP. Bobcats coach Bernie Bickerstaff said: "Jamal is a wonderful young man ... but it just didn't fit the profile, so we have moved on and we wish him well and that he reaches his potential. That's the conclusion."

Didn't fit the profile? Sounds like code speak for he's a head case. Otherwise you don't give up on a 21 year old center who averaged 20 boards per 48 minutes.

Worth the risk for the Spurs, though.

:smokin

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Didn't fit the profile? Sounds like code speak for he's a head case. Otherwise you don't give up on a 21 year old center who averaged 20 boards per 48 minutes.

Worth the risk for the Spurs, though.

:smokin

Yeah, I could see how an expansion team is probably looking for guys they can build the team around. The Spurs are merely looking for someone who might be an upgrade from Tony Massenburg. If Sampson is cheap I'd say he's a no brainer.

If he played only 23 of 44 games for the Spurs from the 11 or 12th spot on the roster he'd be considered a major contributor.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
He's only playing 11mpg so far, but that's enough to think in terms of per 48 production.

16.2 pts
18.8 reb
5.67 blk

Not bad at all.

midgetonadonkey
07-10-2005, 12:01 AM

He does have potential. Just because he had a bad series against the Pistons, one of the best defenses in the league and in the Finals, doens't mean he isn't going to be a good backup PG. Just think about the shots he hit for us when we needed offense. Beno will be a solid backup, given the chance.