PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules Spurs Player Must Pay $53K to Jeweler

elbamba
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Judge-rules-Spurs-player-must-pay-53k-to-jeweler-4422454.php

I was fairly certain that Blair would not be in a Spurs uniform next year. I wonder if his legal troubles will make it official. Personally, I cannot pity a millionaire who can't afford to pay his debts so he simply chooses to ignore them.

Pop
04-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Kid better be smart with his money from now on.

stxspurs
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Why does he need a loan for 30k? I bet he is one of them fool's who wasted all his cash on things like his wack ass singing.

boutons_deux
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
looks like a sign that he'll be one of the many NBA players broke or bankrupt a few years into playing retirement.

bklynspursfan
04-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Arrest him and play Baynes...

lol in all seriousness, Blair might get the start tonight if he's available with Boris out. Crazy to see how smart some NBA players can be with their money and how others just aren't.

racm
04-10-2013, 08:35 AM

lol in all seriousness, Blair might get the start tonight if he's available with Boris out. Crazy to see how smart some NBA players can be with their money and how others just aren't.

Tim and Tiago made the trip.

Also remember something similar with the Hornets' Lance Thomas a few months back.

bklynspursfan
04-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Tim and Tiago made the trip.

Also remember something similar with the Hornets' Lance Thomas a few months back.

Ah yea Lance was almost 70k lol...

But I meant Blair might get the start because if he doesn't Pop will have to bring Bonner/Blair off the bench, since Boris is out.

tenbeersbold
04-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Diamonds,what a waste to blow that $$$ on something thats only worth anything because they tightly control the output

Crap shit sold to insecure suckers who "need" to impress a lady

Shoot you got yer game tight you dont need no diamonds to hook-up
Any fool tell you that,hell any piece thats into that kinda glam aint worth having around tbh

Lifes too short for those kinda headgames

Juggity
04-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Jesus, blair. This is some idiotic stuff if true. Buying 50 grand worth of jewelry on credit, then using the jewelry as collateral for a loan.

Drachen
04-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Some waste their money on jewelry, others waste their money on legos. Its sad, really.

Cane
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
"$30,000 loan the Spurs organization gave him"

wtf didn't know that was possible

i remember he crashed his camaro...sounds like $30k right there i reckon

eDizzle20
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I just goes to show that just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean you know how to manage it.

Budkin
04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I just goes to show that just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean you know how to manage it.

This... bunch of kids being handed huge ass checks = disaster

Seventyniner
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
"$30,000 loan the Spurs organization gave him"

wtf didn't know that was possible

i remember he crashed his camaro...sounds like $30k right there i reckon

Would that loan count against the salary cap? Or is it just a prepayment of his salary?

MarCowMar
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Like most players, he probably didn't understand that when you earn your money in that short of a time span, it gets taxed to hell. After the states and cities and agents get their cut, he'd be lucky to see 50% of the stated salary. At 3.7 million, that's barely enough to buy an upper class home, let alone cars and jewelry and whatever other junk he enjoys.

Like Rodman and Pippen and many other players, he'll have to rely on the league pension system and depressing product endorsements.

Embedded
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Wattaburger?

spurs10
04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
He will look fantastic in court. If he caught the plane to Denver, he'll probably be in contempt of court.

spurs10
04-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Wattaburger?
"...for all my friends!"

loveforthegame
04-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm going to miss watching him in a Spurs uniform.

Ginobilly
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Like most players, he probably didn't understand that when you earn your money in that short of a time span, it gets taxed to hell. After the states and cities and agents get their cut, he'd be lucky to see 50% of the stated salary. At 3.7 million, that's barely enough to buy an upper class home, let alone cars and jewelry and whatever other junk he enjoys.

Like Rodman and Pippen and many other players, he'll have to rely on the league pension system and depressing product endorsements.

true dat!
And don't forget family and his boys probably saw a cut of salary too. I bet he paid for everybody when they went all out to eat or to the titty clubs. I bet you that Manu don't treat his homeboys from Argentina to kill,booze, and pussy when they come to SA. But that's why he has money!

justinandimcool
04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
the Spurs give him a loan of 30,000 and his instagram/twitter is still littered with complaints about being on the team :lmao :lmao :lmao

ivanfromwestwood
04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I bet he spent it all on that big booty girl he was dating

FkLA
04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Blair seems stupid enough to do something like this. Not surprised tbh.

Dude doesnt even make that much money though, hes still on that second round rookie contract IIRC. Hell blow all that soon if he hasnt already.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
If the facts really are (and all we have is a news report, so who knows):

-- Blair borrowed tens of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry with a promise to either return it or pay for it
-- Blair used that jewelry to secure a $30K loan from the Spurs
-- Blair and his agent are refusing to respond to multiple calls and letters from the jewelry store and their attorney
-- Blair and his people have ignored a process server with a lawsuit, and ignored a court date for a hearing

then, I conclude, Blair is about to be dumped big time by the Spurs. They may release him outright just to get him out of here.

You can't f around like that, involve the Spurs organization financially, and expect to be kept around. The Spurs don't work like that. You have to be a grownup and take care of your shit.

MR-Clutch
04-10-2013, 02:27 PM
I heard from a friend that Blair's credit got denied when trying to buy a Porsche recently. I guess this jewel thing falls in line with that.

Juggity
04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I think this should pretty much seal it. Blair is done as a member of the spurs.

Bad attitude, no sense of appreciation for opportunities he has been given. I feel a little bad for the guy in that he seems truly clueless, and he'll probably end up like all the other broke, broken stars and semi-stars and role players of the last 20 years, who have to flip burgers at 29 years old trying to ease their way into the D-League for one last shot at the glory they threw away. At the same time, I've never wanted Blair off the team more than now.

TheChillFactor
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
"damn i didn't kno it wuz gonna get this bad tho...SMH!!!!"

did i do it right?

hater
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
wow it's worse than I thought. not only he's been doing this for 3 years, he never bothered to appear in court or file any papers. Dude is not only a loser but a fucking stupid ass idiot.

Agree, get rid of this piece of shit ASAP and don't dare play him a minute of playoffs.

HI-FI
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
I bet he spent it all on that big booty girl he was dating
I said this quite awhile ago, that I figured he was spending most, if not all, of his cash on that great booty and other worthless pursuits. That's why his instagram and twitter were so bitchy and desperate, you could tell he's already put himself in a hole despite the Spurs organization giving him a better chance than most ever receive.

what an absolute moron. all too common in sports' leagues.

meanwhile I bet Bonner has his shit saved up real well, will probably never need to work again but will probably take a job with the Spurs organization.

timvp
04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
/facepalm

What makes the story worse is that he was probably spending like crazy during his rookie year when it looked like a matter of time before he'd get a big contract. Now that he's looking at relative peanuts this upcoming summer, it's a forgone conclusion that he'll be broke by the time his NBA career is over.

FWIW, Blair's agent is terrible. This fiasco makes him look lazy. But what was stupid was allowing Blair to sign a four-year contract out of college. If you have a client who had a short shelf life to begin with due to the lack of ACLs, you push for a one year contract to push up the pay day ... not delay it.

baseline bum
04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
/facepalm

What makes the story worse is that he was probably spending like crazy during his rookie year when it looked like a matter of time before he'd get a big contract. Now that he's looking at relative peanuts this upcoming summer, it's a forgone conclusion that he'll be broke by the time his NBA career is over.

FWIW, Blair's agent is terrible. This fiasco makes him look lazy. But what was stupid was allowing Blair to sign a four-year contract out of college. If you have a client who had a short shelf life to begin with due to the lack of ACLs, you push for a one year contract to push up the pay day ... not delay it.

Didn't the last CBA allow teams to have options on years 3 & 4 for second rounders also, or was it only firsts?

ace3g
04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Maybe Baynes moves ahead of him in the rotation...

spursfaninla
04-10-2013, 03:42 PM

The problem for these athletes is they don't seem to get that the gravy train stops immediately after their career is over, which is 6 years on average. They spend like they will keep earning that forever. Their pension kicks in around age 60. So, assuming they are in their early 20's when they enter the nba, they have about 30 years they have to get by on savings...

Then, they (and their financial advisers) make the mistake of entering into risky investments, like starting small businesses like restaurants (with a 50% failure rate), and they have no business management skills.

If they spent their money like they were upper middle to middle class, they would be fine. But there is pressure to spend like they "made it," because of their peers and because the people around them tell them that. The people they grew up with ask for help, and they feel they owe them and they feel like they have discretionary income, so they put dozens of people on their payroll, and poof, it is gone.

The yes men around them can't tell them the truth: that they should treat their savings like untouchable income-generating wealth, and as much as possible, live off the interest. they should spend under 100k/yr (maybe 200k a year if they are able to keep 30 million of their total savings).

if they want to make it the 30 years or so until their pensions kick in. Even then, the pensions are pretty modest, about 60K/yr.

Don't even get me started on how the salary structure in sports is stupid, and how much they would benefit tax-wise from receiving their income provided as an annuity spread out over 20-30 years...

will_spurs
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I bet you that Manu don't treat his homeboys from Argentina to kill,booze, and pussy when they come to SA. But that's why he has money!

Maybe also because Manu earns in ~2 months sitting on a bench injured the same amount as Blair is earning in 4 years...

This being said a ~4m contract over 4 years must seem like a huge jackpot to a young kid. Except once every has their cut, what's left is only good enough for a nice house, a nice car and a decent retirement plan.

Zero_Twilight
04-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Chances of this getting to DB? close to none, but still....

Dear Dejuan, SMH.....damn DeJuan.....snap the fuck out of it bro. Buying all that stuff impresses people who only want to bring you down to their level. You're better than that, you in the NBA!! Fuck them.

Though every man is to make his own failures and success, the choice is yours. Personally, I think nobody in the NBA will be impressed with that bling. If you want to impress people, impress them by being the player San Antonio drafted where other teams passed up. Forget the whispers of agents and other teams' and try to remember what it feels like in the paint BATTLING for the ball. No soft shit and no super hero shit, just be you. Understand this may be your only shot at a championship. Understand this dude...

Snap out of it and tell Manu to snap the fuck out of it too. The Matrix has him.

FkLA
04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Sometimes I wonder how Blair stayed eligible for two years at Pitt tbh. Dude is seriously dumb as a rock, both on and off the court.

Cane
04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Disappointing stuff from Blair but also a little disappointing that no one from the Spurs was able to take him under their wing. Matt Bonner drives a mid 00's Pontiac Grand Prix for a reason, about 30k+ reasons in fact.

baseline bum
04-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Disappointing stuff from Blair but also a little disappointing that no one from the Spurs was able to take him under their wing. Matt Bonner drives a mid 00's Pontiac Grand Prix for a reason, about 30k reasons in fact.

Though I still consider Bonner part of the ranks of dumbasses in the NBA since he voted in support of Billy Hunter during the lockout when Fisher was trying to get him pushed out.

Cane
04-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Though I still consider Bonner part of the ranks of dumbasses in the NBA since he voted in support of Billy Hunter during the lockout when Fisher was trying to get him pushed out.

Interesting. Maybe Bonner was getting some of that nepotism money or just wanted to screw over Fisher ;) Hunter is scum

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Kick this motherfucker off our team.

phxspurfan
04-10-2013, 06:28 PM
/facepalm

Yeah, financial management issues notwithstanding, Blair got owned with the 4 year rookie contract. Maybe he and his agent believed the added security was worth it when he fell to the second round of the draft. But considering how successful he was in his rookie year, he could have made bank if they had done the LeBron/Wade/Melo plan of a 3 year deal or less. Push up the payday and cash in on that paper. Spurs got a regular season starting center for 3 years for peanuts.

jestersmash
04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I wonder what Blair's liquid net worth is right now. He'll have made $4M pre-tax over 4 years. And why did he need a $30k loan from the Spurs? Hopefully (for his sake) this is an isolated case of splurging and not one of Blair living egregiously beyond his means.

I can tell you the typical "white collar" millionaire doesn't spend $5000 on a watch. Not even close. Most millionaires are extremely frugal and practice "stealth wealth."

weeks
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
this precipitated a string of hilarious, emo tweets from blair

weeks
04-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I can tell you the typical "white collar" millionaire doesn't spend $5000 on a watch. Not even close. Most millionaires are extremely frugal and practice "stealth wealth."

yep, in fact most of the 'millionaires' we see are not millionaires, just high middle class people up to their eyeballs in debt to appear rich

it's hard to get rich if you're a big spender and can't manage money very well

TheGoldStandard
04-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Blair received a very important email from the Prince of Batswana and had to wire 30k over in order to inherit a cool 10 Milly.

BillMc
04-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Blair received a very important email from the Prince of Batswana and had to wire 30k over in order to inherit a cool 10 Milly.:rollin

exstatic
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
/facepalm

The four year contract was a good deal for the Spurs, but realistically, they paid him what they would have in their first round slot. which is a LOT more than they had to. They never would have paid him for only one year, and if he and his agent pushed for two years, it would have been bare bones minimum, like ~ $1.2M for two years.

TheGoldStandard
04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Should have traded him at the deadline!

I have to think that the jeweler must have been a real big idiot too to give someone 50k worth of jewelry without being able to recoup the expenses. I mean if I can't walk in there and get that kind of swag then why should anyone else?

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Tbh, Blair hasn't made that much money. $1 million/year goes by quickly when you start buying houses, cars, etc.

It doesn't surprise me that he can't handle his money well and has to resort to crime, per par.

Captivus
04-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Some people don't realize how lucky they are...
"god gives bread to those who have no teeth".

lmbebo
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Given an opportunity others cannot get. Much like many others, unable to manage his finances. Its a hard lesson to learn.

Hope he straightens it all out and grows from this.

Sometimes I feel like Bonner is the one of the few out there with a good head on his shoulders. He knows he'll never make this kind of money again. Lives below his means.

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I agree, I guess they figured sense he is a NBA player he would be good for it.
:lol If they ASSumed that, they are idiots. :lol

TheGoldStandard
04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Given an opportunity others cannot get. Much like many others, unable to manage his finances. Its a hard lesson to learn.

Hope he straightens it all out and grows from this.

Sometimes I feel like Bonner is the one of the few out there with a good head on his shoulders. He knows he'll never make this kind of money again. Lives below his means.

Matt Bonner strikes me as Roger Dorn, sucks as a player but will be good in a front office position much like Danny Ferry.

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Where is playblair? The silence from him is deafening.

jestersmash
04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Antoine Walker had net earnings of $108M over his NBA career, and he had to file for bankruptcy. Unbelievable.

"In 2010, Walker filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. He reported assets of $4.3 million and $12.7 million in debt."

DJR210
04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
This must have been those Spurs chains he was wearing in his shitty, auto-tuned Youtube vids..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3N1sed9MhE

baseline bum
04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Matt Bonner strikes me as Roger Dorn, sucks as a player but will be good in a front office position much like Danny Ferry.

I can't have faith in the management skills of someone who had Billy Hunter's back even when it was widely known he was crooked last year when Fisher first tried to force him out.

baseline bum
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
This must have been those Spurs chains he was wearing in his shitty, auto-tuned Youtube vids..

Damn that's wack. I'm a big Blair fan and wish him nothing the best when he gets somewhere he can play next season, but god that was bad.

DJR210
04-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Damn that's wack. I'm a big Blair fan and wish him nothing the best when he gets somewhere he can play next season, but god that was bad.

Yeah, Big Fella literally has no singing talent, w/ or without AutoTune.. I bet he paid the 53K for the two spurs jersey diamond pendant/chains, and probably spent a good portion of the rest of the Rookie deal on either his own studio, or studio time to put P.O.P down..

TampaDude
04-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Wow...yeah, Blair is gonna be gone soon...

Splits
04-11-2013, 12:22 AM
A Spurs spokesman declined comment Tuesday. The general counsel for the Spurs referred questions to his agent Happy Walters (http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Flocal_news&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Happy+Walters%22).

Seriously? His agent's name is "Happy Walters"?

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2013, 12:28 AM
This... bunch of kids being handed huge ass checks = disaster

http://pluckyoutoo.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/mike-tyson-kid-dynamite.jpg

koriwhat
04-11-2013, 12:44 AM
funny story(y'all seen the photos), i went to blairs & hills bowling thing during blairs rookie season and a couple friends went with me. blair and hill bought everyone pizza, drinks, and paid for us all to go bowling. when i was leaving i tried giving blair $20 or $30 back and told him, "i just wanted to thank you for this and didn't want to take advantage", and well blair said, "i don't need this", and he proceeded to throw the money back in my face and i picked it up off the ground and left.

sucks to know the dude is in the position he is at the moment and hopefully he figures it all out in the end, gets a new contract some place else, and gets his shit straight. sucks to see the dude struggling on and off the court.

MSPaint
04-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Diamonds,what a waste to blow that $$$ on something thats only worth anything because they tightly control the output

Crap shit sold to insecure suckers who "need" to impress a lady

Shoot you got yer game tight you dont need no diamonds to hook-up
Any fool tell you that,hell any piece thats into that kinda glam aint worth having around tbh

Lifes too short for those kinda headgames

That sure is a lot of slang up in there, but my damn, it's all true.

SenorSpur
04-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Terrible story, but not surprising in the least - especially in this "bling-bling" era of the spend-happy athlete.

What a great way to mark your final days as a Spur.

DJR210
04-11-2013, 01:21 AM
funny story(y'all seen the photos), i went to blairs & hills bowling thing during blairs rookie season and a couple friends went with me. blair and hill bought everyone pizza, drinks, and paid for us all to go bowling. when i was leaving i tried giving blair $20 or $30 back and told him, "i just wanted to thank you for this and didn't want to take advantage", and well blair said, "i don't need this", and he proceeded to throw the money back in my face and i picked it up off the ground and left.

sucks to know the dude is in the position he is at the moment and hopefully he figures it all out in the end, gets a new contract some place else, and gets his shit straight. sucks to see the dude struggling on and off the court.

LMAO @ that.. after the way he dissed WGAF about how his shitty career will wind up..

tenbeersbold
04-11-2013, 04:43 AM
That sure is a lot of slang up in there, but my damn, it's all true.

LOL! I credit that to too much drinking on my front stoop w/ the locals in my old DC 'hood!
Drunk Glenn,Diamond Dave,Too Tall ,Hobo Mike and the crew learned me good in that decade or so of debauchery.

You havent truly lived till you had an old ass sistah offer to suck yer d*ick for a pack of Newports I tell ya ;)

elbamba
04-11-2013, 07:42 AM
“It ain’t nothing,” Blair said before the Spurs played the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center on Wednesday. “It’s something that’s been handled.

“It just came out because I’m me. It happened in my rookie season when I was young and dumb, just coming into the league. I grew up. It’s cool. It’s getting handled right now.

“I knew it was coming out before it came out. My attorneys got everything, so it’s not really a big issue for me.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/04/11/spurs-notebook-lawsuit-nothing-blair-cant-handle/

Man, the Spurs PR team must not want to help Blair. You would think he could come up with a better story. It is a big deal when you have a $53,000 judgment entered against you. Its even bigger if its a default judgment because you acknowledge owing the money by not contesting the case. If you can't afford to pay the $53,000 how in the hell do you expect to pay your lawyer who will probably charge you another $20,000 just to tell you that you owe the money? You are still young and dumb. The only thing more stupid than Blair's comments are those of his agent:

“It’s the underbelly of pro sports, where business people take advantage of guys just coming into the league,” Waters said. “They tell them, ‘Take this jewelry and pay me later.’

Poor millionaires getting taken advantage of by buying $50,000 in diamonds. They are the victims of predatory retailing.

Thread
04-11-2013, 08:15 AM
A rapist & now a deadbeat.

tee, hee.

spurspokesman
04-11-2013, 08:39 AM
/facepalm

FWIW, Blair's agent is terrible. This fiasco makes him look lazy. But what was stupid was allowing Blair to sign a four-year contract out of college. If you have a client who had a short shelf life to begin with due to the lack of ACLs, you push for a one year contract to push up the pay day ... not delay it. This. Terrible financial advisor also if he has one.

Chomag
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
*sigh* If I had a fraction of what these fools make I would do so much more. He will be another Former NBA player hoping you feel sorry for him when he is broke. Pretty sad.

Chomag
04-11-2013, 10:49 AM

This is very true, I wonder if he is still driving around in that Grand Prix :lol

davidbowie
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
man im a huge d blair fan but this is just pathetic. i always try to defend him and hope things work out for the best but i dunno anymore....smh

tmtcsc
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Wow. I think he broke the auto-tune machine. Is that even possible ?

Yes, DeJuan...we all recognize who the fuck you are now. It aint pretty.

MSPaint
04-11-2013, 05:52 PM
why hasn't...... playblair..... contributed anything...... to this thread....?

superjames1992
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Where is playblair? Afraid to answer the tough questions, per par?

hater
04-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Where is playblair? Afraid to answer the tough questions, per par?

his lawyer probably advised him not to post on this thread

DMC
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Bobcat in the making.

superjames1992
04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
his lawyer probably advised him not to post on this thread
:lol

DJR210
04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Wow. I think he broke the auto-tune machine. Is that even possible ?

Yes, DeJuan...we all recognize who the fuck you are now. It aint pretty.

Yeah, horrible, horrible singing in that video. He has another one online where he does his cover of Drake's shit, its equally miserable.