PDA

View Full Version : Do most Spurs fans agree that Spurs-Lakers is the best first round matchup?

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Not necessarily in terms of being an easier opponent to defeat, but rather, that a Spurs-Lakers matchup would revive an old great rivalry, and that San Antonio would get a great chance at payback for those 2004 and 2008 playoff defeats.

The Spurs haven't beaten the Lakers in a playoff series since 2003. That was ten years ago. Ten years.

I want to see it happen again.

look_at_g_shred
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Wow a Spurs AND Mavs fan?? Hmmm....

cd98
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Not necessarily in terms of being an easier opponent to defeat, but rather, that a Spurs-Lakers matchup would revive an old great rivalry, and that San Antonio would get a great chance at payback for those 2004 and 2008 playoff defeats.

The Spurs haven't beaten the Lakers in a playoff series since 2003. That was ten years ago. Ten years.

I don't think this match up can even happen this year. Look at the following:

S.A.: (Denver, Sacramento, LA, GS, Minn.)

Thunder: (GS, Portland, Sacramento, Milwaukee)

Lakers: (Portland, GS, SA, Houston)

Utah: (Minn, Minn, Memphis)

Houston: (Memphis, Sac., Phoenix, LA)

GS (OKC, LA Lakers, SA, Portland)

The Lakers or the Jazz are going to have the eigth seed. Houston would have to lose 3 of its last 4 to drop to the 8th seed. Highly unlikely. I guess GS could lose its last 4 and potentially drop to the 8th seed (depends on tie breakers), but that supposes that LA wins out the rest of its games and GS loses the rest of its games and LA has the tie breaker. I don't think they do but I could be wrong.

If we assume the 8th seed will be either Utah or LA, and that neither can move past the 8th spot, then the only way for the Spurs to play the Lakers is if SA is the number one seed. That assumes that SA must win out its games, or at least only lose one more and hope that the Thunder lose one more. The Thunder are unlikely to lose any more games, though they might lose to GS. So if the Spurs lose any more games, they are probably the number two seed with little to no chance of dropping.

Even more to the point, if SA beats LA, then LA is probably out of the playoffs. They would have to win against Portland, Houston, and GS as the Jazz have two games against Tanker Minnesota, and the final game against Memphis which may or may not mean much, but will be the Jazz playing for their playoff lives. I think LA has to win out. If LA beats SA in LA, then the Spurs will most likely tie or fall behind OKC because OKC has the tie breaker, it won't matter which, SA will have the number 2 seed and will likely play Houston or GS.

Either way, us playing the Lakers is REMOTE.

Man In Black
04-10-2013, 05:19 PM
What he said up there.

hater
04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
let's take a closer look.

The league's #1 tv ratings team vs. the team with measly tv ratings and one whom the league's commissioner(and at least one senior refferee) has a proved feud with?

mmm...

exstatic
04-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Utah is our best matchup. Kanter just had surgery and is out until next season.

freetiago
04-10-2013, 06:51 PM
rather play the Lakerrefs
spurs need to beat some tough teams for once

BillMc
04-10-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't think this match up can even happen this year. Look at the following:

S.A.: (Denver, Sacramento, LA, GS, Minn.)

Thunder: (GS, Portland, Sacramento, Milwaukee)

Neighbor's dog has been left in the landing,

Lakers: (Portland, GS, SA, Houston)

Utah: (Minn, Minn, Memphis)

Houston: (Memphis, Sac., Phoenix, LA)

GS (OKC, LA Lakers, SA, Portland)

The Lakers or the Jazz are going to have the eigth seed. Houston would have to lose 3 of its last 4 to drop to the 8th seed. Highly unlikely. I guess GS could lose its last 4 and potentially drop to the 8th seed (depends on tie breakers), but that supposes that LA wins out the rest of its games and GS loses the rest of its games and LA has the tie breaker. I don't think they do but I could be wrong.

If we assume the 8th seed will be either Utah or LA, and that neither can move past the 8th spot, then the only way for the Spurs to play the Lakers is if SA is the number one seed. That assumes that SA must win out its games, or at least only lose one more and hope that the Thunder lose one more. The Thunder are unlikely to lose any more games, though they might lose to GS. So if the Spurs lose any more games, they are probably the number two seed with little to no chance of dropping.

Even more to the point, if SA beats LA, then LA is probably out of the playoffs. They would have to win against Portland, Houston, and GS as the Jazz have two games against Tanker Minnesota, and the final game against Memphis which may or may not mean much, but will be the Jazz playing for their playoff lives. I think LA has to win out. If LA beats SA in LA, then the Spurs will most likely tie or fall behind OKC because OKC has the tie breaker, it won't matter which, SA will have the number 2 seed and will likely play Houston or GS.

Either way, us playing the Lakers is REMOTE.

Excellent post!:toast

Budkin
04-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Agree with cd98. Our chances of getting the first seed have been gone since the injuries.

angelbelow
04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Would like to face LA as well. I think we'll win fairly easily either way, but against LA, the Spurs will at least have a sense of push and urgency. Plus home court advantage through out the west is always a place so we need that 1st seed.

Splits
04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Since our chances of ringing are like 5% and the chances of beating the Lakers in a series is like 95%, I would welcome a first round matchup to take those fuckers out. But since it isn't going to happen, let us pray they miss the playoffs.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_GVUpFsG-_aA/SH6bduLPvyI/AAAAAAAAEbU/JfF9BP0Ou14/s400/inspirational-picture-boy-dog-praying.jpg

HI-FI
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Since our chances of ringing are like 5% and the chances of beating the Lakers in a series is like 95%, I would welcome a first round matchup to take those fuckers out. But since it isn't going to happen, let us pray they miss the playoffs.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_GVUpFsG-_aA/SH6bduLPvyI/AAAAAAAAEbU/JfF9BP0Ou14/s400/inspirational-picture-boy-dog-praying.jpg

pretty much how I feel.

if we had a really good chance of ringing this year, then I'd want to avoid the Lakers only because it's Stern's wet dream and that series would be full of questionable officiating. I want the first round to be as easy as possible, not being extended WCF 2002 style.

but since so many of our guys are hurt and we probably won't be beating the Heat this year, then I'd like nothing more than to squash that $100 million shit sandwich from LA.

therealtruth
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Give it up. The Lakers were the better team in the early '00s. Beating them now doesn't make up for that.

ManuTastic
04-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Given our problems with travel/fatigue, I'd rather play Houston in a turnpike series.

james evans
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
i'm not afraid of the lakers, i'm only afraid of stern and joe crawford.

maverick1948
04-12-2013, 11:00 AM
OKC vs LA or UTAH
SA vs GS
HOU vs DEN
LAC vs MEM

That is my take on the matchups.
GS seems to be tanking to get away from Denver, and has to only win 1 game to assure themselves the 7th seed. Houston on the other hand is playing good ball and will likely win out or go 3-1. I dont think the Lakeshow gets in unless Utah just lays down.

Bring on the Warriors.

rascal
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
OKC vs LA or UTAH
SA vs GS
HOU vs DEN
LAC vs MEM

That is my take on the matchups.
GS seems to be tanking to get away from Denver, and has to only win 1 game to assure themselves the 7th seed. Houston on the other hand is playing good ball and will likely win out or go 3-1. I dont think the Lakeshow gets in unless Utah just lays down.

Bring on the Warriors.

GS would be the easiest possible 1st round matchup for the Spurs.

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-18-2013, 11:33 AM
YES!!! SPURS VS. LAKERS IN THE PLAYOFFS!

JR3
04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
it is an awesome matchup! I cannot wait.. however, one could argue that hardin vs his old team is going to be epic.

tmtcsc
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Absolutely the best match-up. They are more banged up than we are and have just as many chemistry issues at this point. If we can't beat them without Kobe, we suck and that will be that. This matchup will help us buy some time to until Diaw is back.

Legacy
04-18-2013, 07:11 PM
It was the first-round match up that I had secretly been hoping for these past few weeks. *gulp*

DejuanorwhatDude
04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Steve Blake and the corpse of Steve Nash can't get them through a seven game series. Tim will negate whatever production Dwight does and Splitter can match up with Pau. This is absolutely a good matchup for us.

DejuanorwhatDude
04-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Houston not so much. We dodged a bullet there. Spurs in 5 or 6.

BackHome
04-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah as banged up as we are I was thinking if we played Houston it would have gone to a game seven and even odds. I feel much better playing the Flakers but we are going to have to bring it to still beat them we got to want it and some people need to play with more passion and with a sense of urgency.