PDA

View Full Version : Manu: I'm doing everything possible to be ready for the playoffs

ElNono
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm doing everything possible to be ready for the playoffs

By Emanuel Ginobili
April 10, 2013

SAN ANTONIO.- I try to look at the positive side and I'm thinking that while my teammates are headed to cold Denver, I'm enjoying my kids under the sun. To my kids I'm always the same, they don't know if I'm ok or not or if I'm winning or losing games. That's how it should be. But the truth is that looking at it from a career angle this sucks, just like any rest that's not by choice. I've said before that if I had another injury it was going to be complicated for me, and that's what happened. Now I'm doing everything possible to be ready for the playoffs.

The injury was on a location very similar to the last one, on the hamstring, but this time on the right leg. I'm starting to jog, following each step as usual, but I had an ultrasound and the tear is there, so I'm still limited on what I can do.

As far as my personal situation, as it's well known, I'm going to be a free agent when the season is over. At no time there was a chance to renew. Tim didn't do it last season and I'm not going to do it either. A while back I said I wanted to play another couple of season, which i think it's the most coherent idea. Things like this injury are problematic. I'm not saying I feel like retiring, because it's nothing serious. But you never know how you're going to come back from it.

When I look back this was a tougher season than many others. To me, but also to other important players in the team. Stephen Jackson and Kawhi Leonard missed over 20 games, and Duncan and Parker about 15. Tony also had some bruises and bumps that didn't allow him to play the last few games. Same thing with Boris Diaw.

Looking at all this, I feel there's even more merit that we're still fighting for that 1st spot in the West, which is clearly the tougher conference, with many more competitive teams. Be able to surpass 55 wins is already a remarkable achievement (we've won 57), and we still can reach 60, something that not many teams can do.

Nevertheless, the #1 spot is not guaranteed. We have five game left and some are quite difficult. We've Denver on the road, Sacramento at home, a back to back with Lakers and Golden State on the road and the last one against Minnesota at home.

Because things are looking very even to determine the last few spots left, ending up with the 1st or 2nd seed won't probably change many things. The possible opponents are changing constantly and are a lot. Could be Houston, Utah or Lakers. Even Dallas, although it looks difficult. It could even be Golden State. Whoever we get will be very tough and we're likely going to be guessing who we're playing until the last game. That's why, right now, all we think about is ourselves and we don't look as much who we might play against.

Amongst so many setbacks, Pop is trying to diagram what's to come, trying to make up for the absences. We're fine, although we're not getting to the playoffs at our best, as one would like.

The day I got injured in the game against the Clippers, I went out as precaution. I didn't think it would be so bad. When the studies showed it was a tear, it was a big blow. It was pretty demoralizing, because even though my game wasn't very good, I felt great physically. The first five days were complicated, but now I'm excited again, and I can't wait to get back to help the team.

Original article in spanish: link (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1571261-hago-todo-lo-posible-para-llegar-a-los-playoffs)

BillMc
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for posting that. This has been a tough year on Manu, but can't wait to see him in uniform again.

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Let us hope he is back for the playoffs. Tbh, I'd like to see him back a game or two before for rhythmic purposes, but I'll take what I can get.

timtonymanu
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Manu's been frustrating this year, but we desperately need him. Hopefully he comes back and is ready to go.

letmk
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Wish he can come back strong. Although I'm not optimistic, but even a modicum of vintage Manu would make the Spurs better.

Big Empty
04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
unless we face the Lakers the first round, he should sit out and be ready for the second round

Big Empty
04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Manu is still the energy on this team and still makes things happen even though his play slumped a bit. Hes a winner and only knows one speed. Go.

timvp
04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the translation.

Man ... it doesn't sound too good with him coming back. We knew he'd be screwed if he suffered a third hamstring issue. Well it happened and this one sounds like it may actually be the worst of 'em all.

:pctoss

TheGoldStandard
04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2rmw8rq.jpg
Manu needs one of these

hater
04-10-2013, 09:05 PM
there's always Patty Meal and a shot at being part of a HOF towelwave duo

HI-FI
04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
if Spurs are to resign Manu, can we sign this guy for cheap as well to keep Manu healthy?
http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/the-green-mile-mcduncan-560.jpg

hater
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
if Spurs are to resign Manu, can we sign this guy for cheap as well to keep Manu healthy?
http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/the-green-mile-mcduncan-560.jpg

I think that guy is dead

HI-FI
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqeesvwHmP1qkhn90o1_500.gif
the burden of healing Manu is already getting to John Coffey.

Fabbs
04-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks ElHomo.
A Manu repeat kick ass performance of last year OKC doesn't sound likely.
But he can still provide some Bob Horry moments.

I agree. Sit him even in Round 1 if necc. Stop all this quitter-defeatest bullshit that we cannot and will not win without him.

DPG21920
04-10-2013, 09:17 PM
This is depressing. It's a good reminder that the world isn't like the movies - things don't always just work out. This is about as bad as you could draw up for the Spurs limping into the playoffs.

Here's to a good draw and a healthy return.

Ice009
04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
wtf, this is the first I have heard of a tear. Isn't that bad? How long does that take to heal? I thought it was just a strain?

Budkin
04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
A tear? Ugh. I'm surprised he's coming back for the playoffs at all.

Budkin
04-10-2013, 09:24 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_(injury)

According to Wikipedia a strain IS a tear. I didn't know that.

TheGoldStandard
04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
It takes months to be right but he should be able to do physical stuff within a matter of 3 to 5 weeks from the initial injury but he won't be quite right. If he is able to come back for playoffs which all signs point to him giving it a go then it'll be in short spurts, 5 minutes here and there to spark the team to average about 15 to 20 a game.

Ice009
04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
A tear? Ugh. I'm surprised he's coming back for the playoffs at all.

I wonder if a tear heals quicker than a pulled hamstring?

ElNono
04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I thought he finished the writeup on a pretty upbeat mood... I think he'll be ready

hater
04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
wtf, this is the first I have heard of a tear. Isn't that bad? How long does that take to heal? I thought it was just a strain?

there's always a partial tear on strains. depends on grade 1,2,3

obviously it's not a grade 3, that's total tear. So imo its a grade two which is about 4-6 weeks recovery

Brazil
04-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Love Manu tbh. His interviews and thought are always great to read. I love the fact the spurs are nice educated and mostly clever people.

thanks nono for posting...

Article is worrisome... At this point if we have a 50% Manu for the POs it would already be nice tbh...don't feel like bumping rip Manu.

DesignatedT
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Hmm this article is a bit depressing. Doesn't relate to what Tony and Sean were saying.

TMTTRIO
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I wonder if Manu decides to retire if he would stick around and work with the front office or something.

HI-FI
04-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Love Manu tbh. His interviews and thought are always great to read. I love the fact the spurs are nice educated and mostly clever people.

thanks nono for posting...

Article is worrisome... At this point if we have a 50% Manu for the POs it would already be nice tbh...don't feel like bumping rip Manu.
+1, the organization and it's players almost always represent the game at the highest level.

i'm kind of pissed that Manu is once again Captain Unreliable heading into the playoffs, but I know it's just bad luck with him and it seems to really affect him. This will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.

superjames1992
04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Eh, Manu seemed positive in regards to getting back for the playoffs. I wouldn't worry too much.

tmtcsc
04-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Manu was playing bad when he was healthy. I hope his game heals along with his hamstring.

100%duncan
04-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Playoff Hero is comin back baby! Watch the fuck out :hat

Johnny RIngo
04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Won't play a single game in the first round

deibero
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
notice how sjax and tp guaranteed everyone will be ready, but manu himself doesnt state the same thing, he just takes the political route saying he will do his best to be ready. No guarantees.

a competitor says ill be ready to go, it surprises me and worries me not to get that answer.

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:16 AM
lots of debbie downers... lest we forget Manu was the one playing with a broken arm and a broken nose in the playoffs...

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:17 AM
notice how sjax and tp guaranteed

So they guaranteed Diaw will be ready too? crofl

deibero
04-11-2013, 12:18 AM
So they guaranteed Diaw will be ready too? crofl

guess the diaw injury was after all the guarantees.

EricB
04-11-2013, 12:19 AM
If he misses 1 or 2 playoff games it's not the end of the world. Getting Parker, Diaw and Jackson back is enough to hold the fort down till then.

HI-FI
04-11-2013, 12:20 AM
lots of debbie downers... lest we forget Manu was the one playing with a broken arm and a broken nose in the playoffs...

i never doubt his toughness, it's just he hurts things with his unreliable health and lack of rhythm when coming back. but considering some of the scrubs, i guess we have to use Manu as much as possible.

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:24 AM
guess the diaw injury was after all the guarantees.

:lol

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:26 AM
i never doubt his toughness, it's just he hurts things with his unreliable health and lack of rhythm when coming back. but considering some of the scrubs, i guess we have to use Manu as much as possible.

It is what it is, no player wants to be banged up, and they all want to be there...

I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about Manu's hamstring, Tony's bruises, Diaw's back, Jackson's ankle, Kawhi's tendinitis, etc etc etc if we don't get past the 1st or 2nd rounds...

Baseline
04-11-2013, 12:36 AM
CIA Pop got the final edit on Manu's article. It's totally in the Spurs' best interest if people think we'll only have a 50% Manu. But our guy will be back stronger than people think...he knows this could be his last chance at another ring.

Man In Black
04-11-2013, 01:22 AM
If he's jogging, it's a grade 1. You can't jog on a grade 2. In training, we could figure 8 wrap with a 4 inch Ace around the outer hip and then back to the hamstring. People can compete with a grade 1. We did it alot. But one has to make sure that the athlete isn't in a position to re-injure himself. That is the complication. Manu's game is predicated on change of pace with an unexpected burst and direction change. Those kind of moves with his exaggerated step is a catalyst for both greatness and possible injury. There is a fine line between going all in for the win and expending too much to not have anything left in the end. This is the paradox that is Manu's injury. I expect that he misses a game or 2 in series 1 and then Pop puts him out there for the rest of whatever playoffs the Spurs have. It's possible that Manu improves and his legs get stronger, but it's also possible that he takes what seems like a normal step or that an opposing player lays a hip or knee into him again and he ends up injured.
Let's hope that it's option 1, but reality is that it will be somewhere in the middle. But truth, a 70% Ginobili is better than a timid De Colo, an inexperienced Corey Joseph, or a shot missing, no defense playing Gary Neal. It's amazing for as many games the Big 3.5 have missed that they are tied for 1st in the west.

SenorSpur
04-11-2013, 01:33 AM
The second unit is really, really missing Manu. Spurs could probably survive a first-round matchup without Manu, but I wouldn't bank on them getting any further than that.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-11-2013, 01:45 AM
If he's jogging, it's a grade 1. You can't jog on a grade 2. In training, we could figure 8 wrap with a 4 inch Ace around the outer hip and then back to the hamstring. People can compete with a grade 1. We did it alot. But one has to make sure that the athlete isn't in a position to re-injure himself. That is the complication. Manu's game is predicated on change of pace with an unexpected burst and direction change. Those kind of moves with his exaggerated step is a catalyst for both greatness and possible injury. There is a fine line between going all in for the win and expending too much to not have anything left in the end. This is the paradox that is Manu's injury. I expect that he misses a game or 2 in series 1 and then Pop puts him out there for the rest of whatever playoffs the Spurs have. It's possible that Manu improves and his legs get stronger, but it's also possible that he takes what seems like a normal step or that an opposing player lays a hip or knee into him again and he ends up injured.
Let's hope that it's option 1, but reality is that it will be somewhere in the middle. But truth, a 70% Ginobili is better than a timid De Colo, an inexperienced Corey Joseph, or a shot missing, no defense playing Gary Neal. It's amazing for as many games the Big 3.5 have missed that they are tied for 1st in the west.

:tuthe goods per par

Ice009
04-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Thanks a lot MIB. You are awesome.

So what do you think about the injury? Do you think it is possible for it to heal enough for him to be able to play somewhat decent or are we going to be cutting it close where it can be re-injured at any time during the playoffs?

Thread
04-11-2013, 08:27 AM
I hope he failsPERIOD

ThaBigFundamental21
04-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I hope he sits out the first round TBH. And depending on our 2nd RD opponent, half of the 2nd if not all.

spursfan09
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I didn't know it was a tear. I thought they were were just resting him. :( This sucks. TP hurt and Manu hurt, but TD looking awesome. I feel like we are wasting this year. Hopefully by the grace of God everything will just click for them and they can make a deep run in the playofffs.

Strategic
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
He's ready to get back now so he can get his game in sync in order that he can play summer ball for some other team on the Spurs dime.

phxspurfan
04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
I miss Manu. This team isn't the same w/o him.

ace3g
04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
If and when Manu does return, he better wear 2 layers of thigh padding under his shorts.

jestersmash
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
I didn't know it was a tear. I thought they were were just resting him. :( This sucks. TP hurt and Manu hurt, but TD looking awesome. I feel like we are wasting this year. Hopefully by the grace of God everything will just click for them and they can make a deep run in the playofffs.

All strains are tears by definition.

Brunodf
04-11-2013, 06:56 PM
If he misses 1 or 2 playoff games it's not the end of the world. Getting Parker, Diaw and Jackson back is enough to hold the fort down till then.
People said the same thing before the Memphis series

chazley
04-11-2013, 07:08 PM
This is depressing. It's a good reminder that the world isn't like the movies - things don't always just work out. This is about as bad as you could draw up for the Spurs limping into the playoffs.

Here's to a good draw and a healthy return.

Kawhi playing out of his mind.

Duncan could be 1st-team all NBA.

Tony is just banged up. Nothing major, and the rest probably did him alot of good and he should be good to go.

Manu ain't out for the season. In the first round we get Houston, and though they will give us trouble, we can beat them without Manu or while he works himself back into shape.

Things are going to be fine. Stop fucking panicking.

chazley
04-11-2013, 07:10 PM

No they didn't. Memphis was largely seen as a huge-sleeper pick in 2011, they were on a huge roll and people around the league and in the media thought they would give us a ton of trouble, and many picked them to win. The problem in that series was Tony Parker getting outplayed by Mike Conley though, it had nothing to do with Manu.

Splits
04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
In the first round we get Houston

If/when OKC beats GSW tonight, the more likely scenario is Houston gets the 6 seed (they own the h2h tiebreaker with GSW) and we get the Warriors in the first round, which should be even easier.

rmt
04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Not only does Manu usually take a long time to get back from injury but it also takes him a HELLUVA LONG time to get into rhythm. He's not like TD or TP who ramp up quickly. What is very concerning is that he thought he was healed, started to jog and still has a tear. Sounds like he's got to start all over again now.

timtonymanu
04-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Weak example. Manu was the Spurs' best player that year and the 2011 Grizzlies were better than any first round opponent we will potentially get. I'm worried about the Spurs, but I don't think 2011 should be compared to this year.

boutons_deux
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Not only does Manu usually take a long time to get back from injury but it also takes him a HELLUVA LONG time to get into rhythm. He's not like TD or TP who ramp up quickly. What is very concerning is that he thought he was healed, started to jog and still has a tear. Sounds like he's got to start all over again now.

If I read it correctly, first strain was in one leg, the current strain in the other leg.

hater
04-11-2013, 07:36 PM

shhh why bring common sense in here.

Manu was already playing at 70% or less before the injury. It's just common sense we'll have a 50% or less Manu when he comes back. he will be tentative and slow, which will make him easy pickings for the opponent.

expecting anything else but a 50% or less Manu for the 1st 2 rounds is dreaming, it's waiting for santa to come down the chimney

Brunodf
04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
No they didn't. Memphis was largely seen as a huge-sleeper pick in 2011, they were on a huge roll and people around the league and in the media thought they would give us a ton of trouble, and many picked them to win. The problem in that series was Tony Parker getting outplayed by Mike Conley though, it had nothing to do with Manu.
Yes they did, i remember very well "Memphis is playing without their best player, Manu can rest that series/we will sweep them anyway"

Brunodf
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Weak example. Manu was the Spurs' best player that year and the 2011 Grizzlies were better than any first round opponent we will potentially get. I'm worried about the Spurs, but I don't think 2011 should be compared to this year.
Nobody picked the Grizzlies to upset us/they were playing without R.Gay/their franchise had never won a single game in the playoffs

weeks
how can you read something like this and not love manu? he's a class act. how many players would pen something like this?
smart dude too.

hater

:lmao wow

so having Manu with a broken arm and trotting out Bonner to defend Gasol and Randolph had nothing to do with it. got it

spurraider21
04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Tim can put the team on his back in round 1

ElNono
04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Plus if he happens to come back with a bang, you can always flip flop and change your tune...

You know, like going from "Lebron is a chokerz!" to "San Antonio Heat will win it all!" :lol

ElNono
04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

shhh why bring common sense in here.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-11-2013, 08:07 PM
:lol theirs a shit load of reasons why the spurs lost to the grizz in the 1st rd. you know the team on a ugly loosing streak going into the playoffs, manu breaking his elbow, them posting up our small ass team at every position, pussie jefferson, z-bo and role players playing out of their minds, parker shriveling up. it was one giant shit storm tbh

ElNono
04-11-2013, 08:15 PM
:lol theirs a shit load of reasons why the spurs lost to the grizz in the 1st rd. you know the team on a ugly loosing streak going into the playoffs, manu breaking his elbow, them posting up our small ass team at every position, pussie jefferson, z-bo and role players playing out of their minds, parker shriveling up. it was one giant shit storm tbh

:lol RJ watching the 4th quarter of game 6 from the bench

Splits
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Interesting. Guess ESPN is not "media": http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/matchup/_/teams/grizzlies-spurs

Floyd Pacquiao
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
:lol RJ watching the 4th quarter of game 6 from the bench
:lol I don't care how bad jack is shooting id take him over that puss any day

superjames1992
04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
The good news is that Manu is going to be nice and rested for the playoffs this year, tbh. He's not going to be worn out considering he really hasn't played much for the past couple months. :lol

ElNono
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Interesting. Guess ESPN is not "media": http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/matchup/_/teams/grizzlies-spurs

Not sure how much stock you want to put on that...

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/matchup/_/teams/spurs-thunder

Splits
04-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Not sure how much stock you want to put on that...

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/matchup/_/teams/spurs-thunder

4/14 getting it right is much better than 0/14, especially when the poster claimed "people around the league and in the media thought they would give us a ton of trouble, and many picked them to win". Except that, nobody picked them to win.

chazley
04-11-2013, 08:47 PM

I would venture to guess that no one on that panel knew that Manu had a broken elbow and/or that he would miss any time. Once people found out he was going to be out at least a game, many changed their picks.

hater
04-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Chuck barkley picked the Grizz over Spurs too.

Once manu was to miss game 1 due to injury, its was a 50-50 series. Only a blind homer would have disagreed

chazley
04-11-2013, 08:48 PM

People forget Bonner hit some huge shots down the stretch of game 1 in that series to at least give us a chance. There is zero doubt in my mind though, the fact that Mike Conley outplayed Tony Parker, when we were supposed to have a massive advantage on the perimeter, was the reason we lost that series.

Splits
04-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I would venture to guess that no one on that panel knew that Manu had a broken elbow and/or that he would miss any time. Once people found out he was going to be out at least a game, many changed their picks.

Link?

timtonymanu
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Nobody picked the Grizzlies to upset us/they were playing without R.Gay/their franchise had never won a single game in the playoffs

You're still not getting the point. The Spurs relied heavily on Manu in 2011. He was their best player that year. Of course we need a healthy Manu for the playoffs, but I don't think it's out of the question that the Spurs can beat the Warriors/Rockets or that it should be compared to the 2011 Grizzlies who were far better than both of those teams while the 2013 Spurs are still better than that 2011 roster that made the playoffs. Let's not forget who our starting small forward was in that series. Thankfully he's been gone for quite some time now.

EricB
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM

This team is better equipped with a healthier Duncan and Leonard splitter to pick up the slack.

DPG21920
04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Except there is still an unhealthy Manu and now an unhealthy TP/Boris/Jack to add to the mix at the moment.

Sean Cagney
04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
:lmao wow

so having Manu with a broken arm and trotting out Bonner to defend Gasol and Randolph had nothing to do with it. got it

I agree with you, everything he posts I tend to laugh at most of the time. You hit it on the head though.

spurraider21
04-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Randolph hit a game winning 3 a la Chris bosh smh

DarrinS
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
What REALLY sucks is Tim has gotten himself back to peak form at the same time so many others are banged up.

SpursBills
04-11-2013, 09:39 PM
This team is better equipped with a healthier Duncan and Leonard splitter to pick up the slack.

Given his recent stretch of play, don't see splitter doing shit to pick up the slack tbh. If he can't punish smaller defenders in the post and he's already a subpar rebounder, so it's just begging teams to go small to exploit that matchup.

SpurPadre
04-11-2013, 10:24 PM

Uh, it pretty much was the end of the world when he missed one game vs. the 8 seeded Grizzlies in '11. In other words, we FUCKING NEED HIM ASAP.

Brunodf
04-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Randolph hit a game winning 3 a la Chris bosh smh
Don't forget about Batier transition 3 after Tony tried 2-for-one and the buzzer beater at the end of the 1st half that shouldn't have counted because the shot clock started 2 seconds late.

TheGoldStandard
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
We're good enough to beat Houston or LA in a 7 game series, neither team plays defense but its the second round that we'll need all our guns.

emanueldavidginobili
04-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Manu will be fine he has about 3 weeks of rest and conditioning he will be relatively fresh

spurs10
04-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Thank you ElNono. It's always great hearing Manu's honesty, even when it's not what we want to hear. I feel like he was likely even more concerned with this last injury than he is letting on. Although it's not encouraging, at least he is resting and has a chance to heal. With all these injuries it's hard to realistically not be concerned our playoff chances. At least we know these guys will give it everything they got!! :ihit
Maybe the universe owes us some good luck for a $^$%ing change! :lol
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

superjames1992
04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
We won at the end of the David Robinson Era. We will win at the end of the Duncan/Ginobili Era. Bookmarket.

Man In Black
04-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Ice, the answer is - it's hard to tell. Manu's game is full of moves that would injure 3/4th's of this board if tried. He could probably play facilitator ball and relegate himself to jumpshots but the Spurs already have a player like that in Nando. It's Manu's unpredictability, his tendency that shows no tendencies, that helps the Spurs remain dangerous. Yes he's the X Factor, the issue is his health. Manu is a math equation. He is x and x in math is unknown... if he can stay upright and his body responds to treatment...then perhaps x can be another team's problem to try to solve.

Bruno
04-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the translation.

Manu is just a great guy. I damn hope he will be able to have a good playoffs run to redeem a somewhat crappy season.

All these injuries seems to take a toll on him. Without a strong playoffs performance, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him retiring.

EricB
04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Given his recent stretch of play, don't see splitter doing shit to pick up the slack tbh. If he can't punish smaller defenders in the post and he's already a subpar rebounder, so it's just begging teams to go small to exploit that matchup.

Thats fine. Then you put Jackson at the four which he has played in small ball quite well in the past.

EricB
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Uh, it pretty much was the end of the world when he missed one game vs. the 8 seeded Grizzlies in '11. In other words, we FUCKING NEED HIM ASAP.

Different circumstances players and opponents. Keep the razor from your wrists clown.

diego
04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Another interview, from ole (http://www.ole.com.ar/basquet/titulo_0_899910116.html):

Emanuel Ginóbili enters the room designated by the press secretary of San Antonio, Tom James, with a sad look. It is the most fragile gesture noticeable in these days of frustration in which a new injury has erased him from what's left of the regular season. The room is enormous and empty. There are only two chairs. “Lets try anyway”, he says when I propose to postpone the interview. And so he begins.

He'll never let his emotions filter through in public appearances, however, in small details he reveals -accidentally- with a spontaneous word, a temperamental response. “I don't worry anymore about injuries so long as I'm healthy for the playoffs. But the current situation busts my balls because I'm going to get back very close. We'll see how it evolves”, starts the dialog with Ole.

-¿Does the injury situation force you to think about the future?

-Well… Sometimes, when you're hurt, you think of anything. Thats the truth. But then 10 days pass and the recovery advances, everything goes back to normal. So I know that in this moment I dont have to hurry and say anything strange because I might regret it later. I have ups and downs like anyone else. Moments of euphoria and vulnerability. This is one of vulnerability. The ideal is to not give interviews when you are injured, haha.

-Some time ago you said on your webpage that you are extremely rational. Well, what makes you lose it?

-I'm impatient with a lot of things. I'm demanding and a perfectionist. When things dont turn out like I expected them to, I go a little crazy. But I think I have the virtue of pulling myself back in line. Even if sometimes it eludes me, like now. And I'm certain I'm doing everything in my power to recover as fast as possible. I try to be professional and take care of my body as much as possible. Its simply a bad streak. I can't avoid it. Its part of being an athlete.

-You seem a little deflated…

-Well thats how this is, sometimes things happen beyond your control. ¿What do you want me to say? I feel frustrated…

-¿Do you still hold on to the idea of playing 2 more years?
-I'll always be motivated as a competitor. But I dont think I'll make it to 40 physically. If later I turn out like Grant Hill, alright, I'll see. At one moment it looked like he, at 31, couldn't play anymore but, now, at 40 he's still in the NBA. My intention, as I stated recently, is to go on 2 more years. However, it all depends on the body's answer.

-¿And if the Spurs re-evaluate your continuity in the franchise? ¿Is that a possibility?

-Well yes, they might analyze it.

-¿Does that worry you, sadden you, disgust you?

-(Thinks). I think that, if I want to keep playing, I'll find a job.

-Seeing cases like Scola or other players who get stuck on bad teams, ¿do you consider yourself lucky?

-Totally. It can always be worse. You can be injured or depressed, but if you look around, there is always someone in a worse situation. Guys who miss a year, who waste years on a shitty team, that dont win, that have bad coaches… I cant complain about anything. Yes, I'm having a complicated year, I'm frustrated, I cant reach consistency. But a close analysis shows, I played 60 games. And I'm on track for the most important part.

-At least you look happy with the group...

-Yes, its a great group. We're a lot of foreigners and we have good chemistry. We get together more than usual. The roster is filled with good people that push forward. That has made it so, especially on road trips, the season doesnt get that long.

-¿What happened to the guy who only cared about the game and elevated his concentration to ungodly levels?

-(Takes his time). What I changed, maybe, is before and after the games, not during. I can allow myself, with all the games on my back, to screw around more on a timeout more than before. Or not follow a pre game routine as closely as before. But you can ask my wife: I still do most everything the same as usual. My essence is intact. I play to win. Always. During the game I dont laugh, I dont joke, it just doesnt come to me. I want to win. If we win by 15 and I wasnt up to standard I get pissed, same as when I was a boy.

-¿In what have you relaxed?

-I relaxed in the sense that I'm 35 and have a thousand games on my shoulder. At this age I dont take the 74th game of the regular season the same as, one with the national team, when I was 22. Some things change.

superjames1992
04-12-2013, 09:05 AM
At this age I dont take the 74th game of the regular season the same as, one with the national team, when I was 22. Some things change.

So he is coasting and he admits it. :lol

rpduke
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
He still has a week before the playoffs start, then possibly another week and a half to two weeks after that if he needs more time before we really need him in the 2nd round. You'd think Manu will be ready to go after 4+ weeks of rest and rehab.

CGD
04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Manu is always so thoughtful and candid with his interviews. Thanks for sharing. Get the sense that retirement may be more of an option for him than we'd like to think.

DJB
04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Is there any news on Manu? Has he been participating in shoot arounds, etc?

DJB
04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Nevermind, just found this: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/manu-ginobili-hamstring-could-return-164619002.html

romain.star
04-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Thanx El nono

Great read as always with Manu

Damn, I'd be hugely happy if he had one last "vintage" run in him. He deserves a better way to finish his career

hater
04-17-2013, 05:13 AM
:lol has not even practiced full contact but he might return vs TWolves??

still seems like a good sign, he possibly could be available for round 1, but it'd be pretty stupid IMO to have him play and possibly injure himself vs. TWolves

maurolv
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Mike Monroe @Monroe_SA (https://twitter.com/Monroe_SA) Pop: Manu will play 'a few minutes' vs. Minny