PDA

View Full Version : Soft

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Charmin soft! That's what this team is outside of Duncan, Parker, Leonard and a healthy Manu. Jackson would be included if he could actually still play efficiently and effectively, but he can't.

And no this isn't an irrational response from one loss. It's from the Thunder series til now.

Soft, Soft, Soft... I'll still cheer and hope for the best though. Just calling it like I see it.

D12
04-11-2013, 12:16 AM
soft..and an easy out...u better avoid this

Sean Cagney
04-11-2013, 12:17 AM

Well easy out for your team as well then! If you see OKC you are out just as easily lol!!!!!!!!!! Houston we have a shot, OKC you have no shot in hell to win that series! LOL 8th seed, like I said next time win more games during the season.

MSPaint
04-11-2013, 12:18 AM

:downspin::stirpot:

Budkin
04-11-2013, 12:18 AM
That's what this team is outside of Duncan, Parker, Leonard and a healthy Manu. Jackson would be included if he could actually still play efficiently and effectively, but he can't.

And no this isn't an irrational response from one loss. It's from the Thunder series til now.

Soft, Soft, Soft... I'll still cheer and hope for the best though. Just calling it like I see it.

Look, the team doesn't function without its main parts, those missing guys make everyone better. Do you think the Bulls bench players would have played up to the level they did with no Jordan and Pippen? No, they would not have. As long as we get our guys back, we have a good shot to make a deep run.

D12
04-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Well easy out for your team as well then! If you see OKC you are out just as easily lol!!!!!!!!!! Houston we have a shot, OKC you have no shot in hell to win that series! LOL 8th seed, like I said next time win more games during the season.
stfu illiterate faggot

DesignatedT
04-11-2013, 12:21 AM
hurt

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:21 AM
This isn't new. Leonard just joined the rest of that group.

What's funny too is those are probably the only players I can think of that go out there and play, and don't worry if they cause the wrath of Pop.

EricB
04-11-2013, 12:22 AM
The third string players who won't see the light of day in the playoffs are soft.

thanks for the worthless update.

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:23 AM

:lol still battling for a playoff spot
:lol embarrassed in the 1st round again

D12
04-11-2013, 12:25 AM
:lol still battling for a playoff spot
:lol embarrassed in the 1st round again
:lol scurred to play us

therealtruth
04-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Facing Houston might be good for the Spurs. It would force them to find their rhythm to win the series.

ElNono
04-11-2013, 12:28 AM
:lol scurred to play us

:lol your team can't back up your bravado
:lol still trying to make it
:lol paying for our basketball reasons

Sean Cagney
04-11-2013, 12:28 AM
stfu illiterate faggot

You are a fucking idiot, nobody cares about your 8th place team you fucking dickhead........

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2013, 12:33 AM
The third string players who won't see the light of day in the playoffs are soft.

thanks for the worthless update.

Anytime. Thanks for reading.

Third string? Hmm

MSPaint
04-11-2013, 12:34 AM

What's funny too is those are probably the only players I can think of that go out there and play, and don't worry if they cause the wrath of Pop.

And you can really see that's exactly what's happening. Outside the Big 3 and Kawhi, everyone plays with a visible sense of Pop's wrath. Is this Pop's fault for pushing them too hard? More importantly, is there anyway to fix it before the playoffs? Guys will still be out come playoff time, so these softies better figure it out quickly if they want to make a deep run.

timtonymanu
04-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Nothing new that wasn't already said. You just need to look at the last few playoff exits we've had.

Spurs have been lacking a toughness factor that went away when Bowen and Horry left.

But this team is clearly hurting and needs their guys healthy.

TD 21
04-11-2013, 12:39 AM
I've been saying it the past few years. But at least in the previous two, they had elite ball movement/passing, three-point shooting and didn't turn it over at a high rate. This team has none of those things going for them, on top of being soft. Don't bother telling me about their top 5 three-point ranking, either. It's built almost entirely on the back of Green. The only other rotation player who's shot it above average with volume is Leonard.

I hate to add more fuel to the Bryant's a "warrior" nonsense and I know their situation is different, but his old, broken down, banged up ass has been playing FULL games almost consistently the past few weeks and World Peace returns 12 days after being diagnosed with a 6 week injury.

Meanwhile, the Spurs continue to foster a mentality that has softened this team over the years. Break a nail? No problem, you'll get 2 weeks off for that! Oh, you're struggling? It must be because you can't handle 20 something minutes a game. I know, we'll cut back even more! This trying to out smart everyone nonsense needs to stop. All of these guys need to man up and get in the lineup.

timtonymanu
04-11-2013, 12:46 AM
I think this is an odd loss to make this thread though.

The loss against Miami last week was more fitting for this title.

SenorSpur
04-11-2013, 12:48 AM
That's what this team is outside of Duncan, Parker, Leonard and a healthy Manu. Jackson would be included if he could actually still play efficiently and effectively, but he can't.

Cosigned. :tu

I don't think it's an irrational response at all. I also think one of the major issues with the Spurs roster is that they are too undersized, underskilled and unathletic at at least 4 reserve spots. The starting lineup is fine, but the reserves are woefully pititul in many respects. It's the reason why OKC is a terrible matchup for the Spurs. This has nothing to do with who is in or out of the lineup for the Spurs. Even when fully healthy, the Spurs have proven they are incapable of imposing their will on ahtleticially superior teams because of such a matchup disadvantages, against teams like the Thunder. This is usually evident in the manner in which the Spurs struggle to score in their offense, how they are forced into committing so many turnovers, and how much trouble the Spurs have keeping the Thunder off the offensive glass.

The fact is teams like the Thunder and Nuggets are simply quicker, faster and more athletic. At times, such an advantage can be countered with minimizing turnovers, a powerful inside game and a staunch defense. It's the reason why teams like the Bulls, Knicks and Heat are shown themselves capable of strapping it up and taking advantage of the Thunder's weaknesses, whereas the Spurs cannot. Sadly, the Thunder series of last year exposed this flaw - yet again.

Basketball IQ is one thing and is a good thing to have in players, but it doesn't always overcome a severe disadvantage created when an opponent is both physically and athletically superior. I've said it before and I'll say it again. In order for the Spurs to get to where they really want to go, they simply must up their athleticism and size, at certain reserve spots, to counter the top teams in the NBA. It's the ongoing "elephant in the room" and with every year that goes by, the issue gets more and more evident. That doesn't mean having 13 racehorses on the team. It simply means the Spurs cannot continue to carry so many undersized, unathletic, one-trick pony-type of players, who opponents can easily dominate on both ends of the court. Addressing this issue, will keep the team from being soft.

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2013, 12:55 AM

I don't think it's an irrational response at all. I also think one of the major issues with the Spurs roster is that they are too undersized, underskilled and unathletic at at least 4 reserve spots. The starting lineup is fine, but the reserves are woefully pititul in many respects. It's the reason why OKC is a terrible matchup for the Spurs. This has nothing to do with who is in or out of the lineup for the Spurs. Even when fully healthy, the Spurs have proven they are incapable of imposing their will on ahtleticially superior teams because of such a matchup disadvantages, against teams like the Thunder. This is usually evident in the manner in which the Spurs struggle to score in their offense, how they are forced into committing so many turnovers, and how much trouble the Spurs have keeping the Thunder off the offensive glass.

The fact is teams like the Thunder and Nuggets are simply quicker, faster and more athletic. At times, such an advantage can be countered with minimizing turnovers, a powerful inside game and a staunch defense. It's the reason why teams like the Bulls, Knicks and Heat are shown themselves capable of strapping it up and taking advantage of the Thunder's weaknesses, whereas the Spurs cannot. Sadly, the Thunder series of last year exposed this flaw - yet again.

Basketball IQ is one thing and is a good thing to have in players, but it doesn't always overcome a severe disadvantage created when an opponent is both physically and athletically superior. I've said it before and I'll say it again. In order for the Spurs to get to where they really want to go, they simply must up their athleticism and size, at certain reserve spots, to counter the top teams in the NBA. It's the ongoing "elephant in the room" and with every year that goes by, the issue gets more and more evident. That doesn't mean having 13 racehorses on the team. It simply means the Spurs cannot continue to carry so many undersized, unathletic, one-trick pony-type of players, who opponents can easily dominate on both ends of the court. Addressing this issue, will keep the team from being soft.

Agree with just about everything you said. Well put! Great post! :tu!

DejuanorwhatDude
04-11-2013, 01:04 AM
I've been saying it the past few years. But at least in the previous two, they had elite ball movement/passing, three-point shooting and didn't turn it over at a high rate. This team has none of those things going for them, on top of being soft. Don't bother telling me about their top 5 three-point ranking, either. It's built almost entirely on the back of Green. The only other rotation player who's shot it above average with volume is Leonard.

I hate to add more fuel to the Bryant's a "warrior" nonsense and I know their situation is different, but his old, broken down, banged up ass has been playing FULL games almost consistently the past few weeks and World Peace returns 12 days after being diagnosed with a 6 week injury.

Meanwhile, the Spurs continue to foster a mentality that has softened this team over the years. Break a nail? No problem, you'll get 2 weeks off for that! Oh, you're struggling? It must be because you can't handle 20 something minutes a game. I know, we'll cut back even more! This trying to out smart everyone nonsense needs to stop. All of these guys need to man up and get in the lineup.

Fucking a. I hate that this team has to be built onto the mentality of saving up for the playoffs or saving up because we're so god damn old that Ginobili tears his hamstring driving to the basket. Other teams are either gutting it out or getting young enough to not have to rely on a 37 year old power forward having a historic year to even stay relevant.

After next year this team has to rebuild. It's clear age has caught up to the best parts of the roster.

Juggity
04-11-2013, 01:04 AM

His old, broken down ass is leading his team to an early death just like '11 and '12.

All of that team's problems can be directly traced back to him. Defensively, he brings almost no effort. Offensively, he stagnates the entire D'Antoni scheme — unless he suddenly decides to be Kobe Johnson and refuses to shoot so he can assist-pad.

Ice009
04-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Charmin soft! That's what this team is outside of Duncan, Parker, Leonard and a healthy Manu. Jackson would be included if he could actually still play efficiently and effectively, but he can't.

Where in the fuck is Jackson? What's the reason for him being out? I wanted him back, and it was still a good trade for that other guy, but he better bring it in the playoffs and play much better than the crap he has shown most of the season. He's been horrid this season.

HI-FI
04-11-2013, 01:08 AM

so is that on Pop wanting "system guys" or is it because we have too many guys with lots of mileage? or is just SA has a problem getting free agents?

SenorSpur
04-11-2013, 01:10 AM
so is that on Pop wanting "system guys" or is it because we have too many guys with lots of mileage? or is just SA has a problem getting free agents?

I'd say it's probably related more to the first two facts you've pointed out. The reason Leonard is even on the team is because the Spurs recognized that they woefully misjudged RJ and Pop also discovered that he couldn't get away with playing George Hill at the 3-spot during that ill-fated Grizzlies playoff series. He realized the team needed more size, length and athleticism at the SF position. Thank God Leonard justified the organization's faith and he's on his way toward being this team's next star.

It's apparent that the roster upgrades process need not stop there. In order to counter the continuing age deal with their star players, and to compete with the younger, more talented rosters, the Spurs absolutely must incorporate more size, skill and athleticism of their current role players. There's simply no getting around the issue.

Thread
04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
It's from the Thunder series til now.

That was a disgrace. Broad daylight like that. Your cookie being wrenched from your ass scratchers. I was in exile when it went down, but, you had it comin'. But, you took it like a trooper.

spurspokesman
04-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Jackson is the hardest on the team. Followed by duncan ,leonard and ginobilli. Parker is not tough but he is our best player and a great competitor.

Gagnrath
04-11-2013, 08:29 AM
The other issue is that when you win 50+ games for over decade your drafting position is medicore at best it means you either draft guys that are projects headcases or undersized pick some measure of each. Considering that the spurs have done a very good job of getting nba calibre players in the drafthowever when you are consantly drafting borderline athletes that need to add a peice or two and have the brains to actually do it in most cases you end up with a team after awhile that be a bit slow and undersized. Honestly manu being as good as he was then parker working out hurt the spurs there since every one else theen decided to scout europe hard.

The other downside is the spurs haven't been super active in the trades market aquiring picks that would have been higher leaving the spurs sort of thin at having a supporting cast to plug and play new players into.

I sort of have to think after this year manu is done as a major peice and major contract same with jackson. Duncan is gone in two and parker will be starting his decline by then most likely. I really am interested to see how pop handles a total rebuild around parker with out an allstar level big on the team. (Not seeing splitter hitting that level quality starter yes all star no. I think baynes can be a high quality starter as well but unlikely as an all star. One of those two is going to be traded for a lottery pick. (Likely top 5 protected )

EricB
04-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Anytime. Thanks for reading.

Third string? Hmm

Yes Matt Bonner Corey Joseph Patty Mills Dejuan Blair are all third stringers.

100%duncan
04-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Look, the team doesn't function without its main parts, those missing guys make everyone better. Do you think the Bulls bench players would have played up to the level they did with no Jordan and Pippen? No, they would not have. As long as we get our guys back, we have a good shot to make a deep run.

bklynspursfan
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
I have a feeling this team will get it together for the playoffs. We went in looking invincible last year and that didn't turn out too well. A little adversity can bring a team together. I'd rather go in with low expectations from everyone then going in looking great just to flame out.

Russ
04-11-2013, 08:58 AM

In fairness, the Lakers may have had a disappointing year but the future looks bright for them.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Horse
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Guess you missed the 69 points sorry portland starting 4 rookies put on you by halftime.

therealtruth
04-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Nothing wrong with adversity. But if the Spurs don't use it come out stronger it will be a waste.

weeks
04-11-2013, 07:10 PM

i don't think he said it was new
just the opposite, actually

ElNono
04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
i don't think he said it was new
just the opposite, actually

I'm stating it predates the Thunder series, which is where the OP indicated he's started to keep track of this stuff.

Last season's offensive prowess masked a lot of this, but the reality is this team has been full of soft guys for a few seasons now.

IMO anyways.

SenorSpur
04-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I was ecstatic to see Mills give the hard foul to Kenneth Faried during the Denver game. It's so foreign to see any Spur player give up a deliberate hard foul versus the unnecessary ticky-tack fouls that usually result in an "and-1" opportunity for the other team. Failure to give hard, solid fouls, in the right situation, to prevent automatic baskets, is representative of a team that is soft.

MaNu4Tres
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm stating it predates the Thunder series, which is where the OP indicated he's started to keep track of this stuff.

Last season's offensive prowess masked a lot of this, but the reality is this team has been full of soft guys for a few seasons now.

IMO anyways.

We've only had this team for 2 seasons. I was talking about this specific group of guys.