PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Nuggets - April 10

timvp
04-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Tim Duncan B
Came out firing from the perimeter -- and was hot early. Although after the Nuggets began pressuring his jumper, he came up empty on his secondary moves. He didn't do much in terms of rebounds or blocks but I thought his D was solid. He was moving well, contested shots in the lane and got back swiftly in transition.

Kawhi Leonard C
His rebounding was huge -- without that the Spurs are dead in the water. He was also a magnet in loose ball situations. But elsewhere, he struggled. On O, he never did anything within the halfcourt sets -- even though the Spurs desperately needed it. On D, his impact individually was inconsistent at best.

Danny Green B-
He didn't play overly well -- but it could have been worse. He didn't get many open looks yet exhibited enough versatility to have a reasonably efficient evening. On D, he kept his energy elevated despite his ups and downs on the other end.

Nando De Colo B-
The French freshman didn't hurt the team -- but he didn't really help either. I liked his defense; it was much more physical than usual. On offense, he took care of the ball … but almost to a fault. He wasn't making many plays. Unfortunately, that's exactly what the Spurs needed on this night: playmaking.

Tiago Splitter C-
He flashed some competence on the low block -- but overall I thought it was another zombie-like performance. I didn't like his D, his physicality or his effort on the glass. He had some nice passes but he negated those with a few sloppy plays. All in all, the Brazilian continues to look drained.

Cory Joseph C-
Welp, any hopes of the sophomore stepping up for a playoff push are dwindling. He couldn't finish at the rim -- and that really hurt his value. His ballhandling and playmaking also seem to be regressing. His D was decent but he also made a handful of mistakes. Tonight, he played like a rookie again.

Gary Neal C+
The Spurs needed production and the hired gun came out firing. I can't blame him for that. I actually thought most of his attempts were relatively decent. Where he hurt the team was everywhere else: ball-handling, passing, defense, crispness, hustle, etc.

DeJuan Blair C
On offense, I can live with what he brought tonight. He was probably a smidgen too aggressive but that's survivable. What isn't survivable is his horrendous defense. He took his inability to defend the rim to a whole new level tonight.

Matt Bonner C
The Good: He rebounded really well. A few of his boards were even contested. The Bad: Didn't do anything positive on the offensive end. Got a few open looks and missed. On D, it seemed like he was either getting beat by something smaller and quicker or someone bigger and more athletic.

Patrick Mills C-
Ugh. He had about three or four potentially key three-pointers that hit iron. If he was hot tonight, the Spurs might have been able to pull a shocker. But, alas, he was colder than damp kangaroo hide in New South Wales. He efforted on D but his lack of size hindered him throughout the game.

Aron Baynes Inc.
On a night where the Spurs obviously lacked size, his girth was useful the second he stepped on the court. His ability to eat space with an added bonus of athleticism would, in theory, be valuable to this depleted bench unit.

Pop B+
Realistically, the Spurs weren't going to win this game. Denver hasn't lost at home in forever and S.A. is too banged up. No Parker. No Ginobili. No Jackson. No Diaw. No win in Denver. Pop coaxed a strong defensive effort out of his guys for a majority of the game but it was just a matter of time before it fell apart.

Fireball
04-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Aron Baynes Inc.
On a night where the Spurs obviously lacked size, his girth was useful the second he stepped on the court. His ability to eat space with an added bonus of athleticism would, in theory, be valuable to this depleted bench unit.

:lol Pop is very theoretical about using Baynes ...

Thanks for the grades at such a late hour!

Robz4000
04-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Expected loss. Spurs just need to pull it together for three of the next four and try to find a rhythm.

objective
04-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Blair killing the comeback by reaching on defense like usual . . . unpleasant.

spurraider21
04-11-2013, 04:41 AM
On one hand, I'm not mad about the loss itself. We are crazy banged up and playing in Denver is no small task.

I am worried about the big picture. Reminiscent of 2011. Dominant team with great record, late season injury bug and slump, limping into the playoffs. That's what worries me. It does seem Tony will be back by the playoffs. Its probably going to take a full round for Manu to get back into any sort of rhythm. Its up to Tim/Tony/Kawhi to carry us for a round. It's also clear that Green is ever so reliant on parker/manu creating for him.

sook
04-11-2013, 06:12 AM
why you so racist and no give parker grade like you give everybody else?

boutons_deux
04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
"playing in Denver is no small task."

DEN was also missing two key players in their first 7 rotation, Spurs have simply collapsed in the past 6 weeks. They've got nothing, over-perimeter-passing/stagnant offense, even more lackadaisical defense, no hustle, no toughness.

Nero5
04-11-2013, 06:53 AM
you reap what you sow and pop has sown a lack of confidence in the deep bench. Come the time when these old fellows get banged up, the last 4 on the bench have no confidence and no match practice. Patty sucked in this game - he needs to get a run in the toros to get his confidence or a solid run in 3 games...same for some other guys.

TJastal
04-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Pop still playing every point guard on the roster random minutes as well as the turdson the frontline when he has a nimble 7 footer rotting on the bench. So stupid.

2nd unit still unsurprisingly FUBAR heading into the final 3 games of the season.

jag
04-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Doesn't look like Tiago has much left in the tank. Once every few plays he'll go hard, but for the most part it looks like he's just going through the motions.

TJastal
04-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Doesn't look like Tiago has much left in the tank. Once every few plays he'll go hard, but for the most part it looks like he's just going through the motions.

Pop should give him the last game or two off to give him some rest before the playoffs. I wonder if anybody besides myself realizes all the heavy lifting he has done this season has allowed/fueled Timmy's resurgency..

Thread
04-11-2013, 08:17 AM
A|||you guys bent over just splendidly.

Vito
04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
somebody tell me what sense in playing Blair over Baynes now? Blair is really better than Aron? Can believe in that. Or Pop is going to use Blair in play-off games? I don't konow what's going on with the team, but i think it is damn bad situation. Jackson plays like 50-old man, Neal and Bonner lost their only advantage - shooting, Blair can not do anything but new beard, Manu has demand for new hamstring, Green is totally IcyHot, Tiago is so big brainless tree sometimes.... And what have we got? Only Timmy and injured Tony. I Reaaly scared of PO games. Memphis case is so fresh.

Budkin
04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
A|||you guys bent over just splendidly.

Love you too Cub.

hater
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
How Blair, Neal, Bonner and Mills don't have a solid F is beyond me

that 1st half play was probably the worst 9 minutes of basketball I have ever seen in my life. I was ready to tear my eyes out with a wooden spoon

hater
04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
On one hand, I'm not mad about the loss itself. We are crazy banged up and playing in Denver is no small task.

Denver was missing their 2 best players

Brunodf
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Pop's grade too high

ChumpDumper
04-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Pop still playing every point guard on the roster random minutes as well as the turdson the frontline when he has a nimble 7 footer rotting on the bench. So stupid.You can be a fanboy, but Baynes isn't nimble.

TheyCallMePro
04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
I can't think of a single player who played 'well' throughout the course of this game. I'm sick of the random bench lineups that don't make any sense. For a long stretch of time during the game, Bonner, Neal, Mills, Blair, and Splitter were playing together. That's possibly the worst line-up were capable of putting out there, and we stuck with it most of the game....

spurraider21
04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Denver was missing their 2 best players
Both teams were banged up evenly, sure. But then again it was in Denver where they are pretty godly. A team as deep as Denver isn't as hurt by injuries as we are. I mean with Gallo out, Wilson Chandler has come in and played just as good. Andre Miller is no Lawson, but he's still a heck of a floor general. TP runs our offense, and Manu runs our bench. Nando/CoJo can't replicate that. Boris is also a great glue guy. Without those 3, its no wonder our offense was stagnant as hell. Green/Neal usually feed off those guys. If anything, it was a game Kawhi needed to take a leadership role.

hater
04-11-2013, 04:18 PM
come on. You can't seriously not call last nite's loss a pathetic showing. Spurs started winning 14-0. Then went on the worst 9 minutes of basketball I have ever seen, almost forced me to pry out my eyes.

We lost the game in the 2nd quarter. The 2nd half was better but you just can't call what happened in the 2nd quarter anything but an abortion.

superjames1992
04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
The Red Mamba ripped down six rebounds in only 15 minutes, which keeps him from an F, IMO. That might have been one of his greatest all-time rebounding performances, tbh. He was second in the team in rebounding and had twice as many as Timmy, despite playing about half the amount of minutes.

Timmy was REALLY bad at rebounding the basketball last night, tbh. Three rebounds in 27 minutes isn't going to cut it, per par. One rebound every nine minutes isn't going to work for us.