PDA

View Full Version : Rank the importance of Spurs players heading into the playoffs..

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Realistic rankings, tbh..

I'd go:

1- Tim Duncan..his defensive performance is always vital for Spurs success, but his offense must continue to thrive to negate Ginobili's decline/absence..he performed well in last year's playoffs, but he needs to be even better this year..

2- Tony Parker..his level of play has declined during the last 2 playoffs..he needs to be a star for the Spurs to make the WCFs..

3- The combination of Danny Green and Gary Neal..the unfortunate reality is that the Spurs system relies heavily on the shooting from Neal and Green..

Green and Neal arguably form the barometer for Spurs wins/losses..when the Spurs win, Green shoots 49% from the field and 48% from 3..when they lose, he shoots 36% from the field and 33% from 3..scary..

Like Green, Neal's shooting plays a large part in dictating wins/losses for the Spurs..in wins, Gary Neal shoots 44% from the field and 39% from 3..in losses, Neal shoots 31% from the field and 28% from 3..

Neal is especially harmful due to his responsibilities as the backup PG..he averages an entire turnover per game surplus in losses..

4- Kawhi Leonard..he is obviously more talented than Green and Neal, but this is still a system team that prioritizes pick&roll and 3-point shooting, which limits Kawhi's ability, partly due to Pop's reluctance to expand his role..he is not as good of a natural shooter as either of those guys..

Leonard is still going to play a key role as the stopper and occasional offensive creator..his spot-up shooting is essential to the Spurs as well, as they are noticeably better when Leonard shoots 3s at a 40% clip..

If Pop is willing to expand his role and play him 40+ a game, I'd have him 3rd..

5- Tiago Splitter..Splitter's inability to produce has killed the Spurs as of late, and now his performance will be magnified with Diaw's long-term injury..

His p&r game with Parker opens up the entire offense, and considering he has favorable potential matchups vs. Houston/Golden State/Denver down low, he needs to assert himself in the post..

6- Manu Ginobili..at this point, any vintage performances from Manu would be a luxury..he continues to play a very important bench role which could entirely dictate the success of the bench, but I imagine the team has prepared to play without the Manu of old, tbh..

7- Matt Bonner
8- Nando De Colo
9- Boris Diaw post-return
10- Dejuan Blair

Kuestmaster
04-12-2013, 04:56 PM
where is the ghost of sjax?

Brazil
04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Still the same tbh Duncan tp and Manu.

ShoogarBear
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
If Bonner is playing 20+ minutes a game, that's a barometer.

Splits
04-12-2013, 08:33 PM
If Bonner is playing 20+ minutes a game, that's a barometer.

Lemme guess, we should play Baynes.

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2013, 08:39 PM
The reliance on Green and Neal is the scariest thought, tbh..

Brazil
04-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Scariest thing is that this team without Manu and Diaw is loosing 50% of their playmaking abilities.

for me Manu is still number 3 because the bench is gonna sux badly without a half decent Manu.

Brunodf
04-12-2013, 08:44 PM
TD
Tony
Manu
Kawhi/Splitter/Green/Diaw

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I agree and I would have him at 3rd as well, but my expectations for Ginobili are much lower than they were a few months ago..

I'm skeptical that he can perform at a high level on a consistent basis..

We already know that Green and Neal are essential to this team's success and that they will get many open looks, but we don't even know if/when Ginobili is going to play for the team..

ShoogarBear
04-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Lemme guess, we should play Baynes.

?

One does not mean the other.

spurraider21
04-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Manu way too low. Should be above Gary Neal

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
We don't even know if Manu is going to play in the 1st round, tbh..

The Spurs must be prepared to win without him..

manufan10
04-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Going by the reactions of some here, Stephen Jackson was #1.

KaiRMD1
04-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Going by the reactions of some here, Stephen Jackson was #1.

As far as mental toughness? Yeah

milkyway21
04-13-2013, 07:34 AM
TD
Tony
Manu
Kawhi/Splitter/Green/Diaw

in the same order :tu

Kawli's role if the Spurs can reach the finals will be upgraded bec of his defense... the team will be facing 2 of the best scorers in the league..unless he run out gas (so 40min /game in the 1st 3 series IMHO, is too much).

ohmwrecker
04-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Tim
Tony
Kawhi
Manu
Tiago
Danny/Gary
Boris

If the Spurs have to rely on anyone else, they're toast.

will_spurs
04-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Kawhi's going to be playing 40+ mpg in the playoffs, and a lot will depend on how he handles the extra minutes, fatigue, injury risk...

jestersmash
04-13-2013, 11:21 AM
The 3 point shooting will always be shared amongst the role players. That's one of the luxuries of having a bench riddled with mediocre (but not totally worthless) role players. If Green's having an off night, hopefully Gary's not, or vice versa. If both are having mediocre nights, hopefully Bonner can come in and provide a 3-5 from 3 boost, etc. Maybe Nando knocks down 2-4 (although I'm not holding my breath).

Manu's injuries, lack of rhythm, and TOSB-ness in general make him an irrelevance at this point so I can't really count on him to share open 3 point shot making duties. Unfortunately, Boris was another guy who could hit the 3 (in moderation). In fact, Boris Diaw's 3 point shot attempts constituted a guaranteed "out" for us on any given possession, given that the opposing team scouting reports probably say something like "let Diaw shoot the 3 because he penetrates and tries to assist most of the time."

Most if not all of Diaw's 3 point attempts are wide open, regardless of whether they come at the end of a play or whether someone just passes the ball to him without any real ball movement. I think that's one aspect of Diaw's game that I'll miss the most. He can shoot the 3 competently, but opposing teams guard his 3 point shot as if he's a Tiago Splitter or a DeAndre Jordan.

As always.......

1) Tim
2) Tony/Manu
3) The rest

You can't possibly be serious putting Manu on the same level of importance as Tony.

What you're essentially saying is, if someone forced you to choose one person to miss the playoffs entirely between Manu or Tony, it wouldn't matter between the two who missed the playoffs.

Proxy
04-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Tim
Tony
Tiago
Kawhi
Green/Manu/De Colo

Aztecfan03
04-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Manu and Diaw are the only one's that could possibly be ranked ahead of any starters since starters get more minutes in playoffs

tony
tim
kawhi
tiago
manu
green
diaw
neal/de colo
whoevever else

putting manu ahead of green because if healthy, he might similar minutes and he will be the leader from the bench.

Salty
04-13-2013, 01:37 PM
1) Tim/Tony/Manu
2) everyone else

Nothing has changed people. The Spurs aren't going anywhere MEANINGFUL if everyone in the PO rotation isn't playing their best ball. For the Big 3, it's being the best players on the court. For the role players, it's playing their roles to maximum efficiency without having to do much more. When it comes to importance, the only enigma is Kawhi. Is he just a really good role player, or is he ready to join the elite?

superjames1992
04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
LOL at people rating Manu below anyone but Timmy and Tony. :lol

It's...

1. Timmy
2. Tony
3. Manu
4. Kawhi
5. Stiffler
6. Verde
7. Nando
8. Hero
9. Croissant (when he plays)
10. Red Mamba
11. Black Mamba
12. Aussie
13. D-Leaguer

spurs10
04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Tim/Tony about equally I believe
Kawhi
Manu
Tiago
Green/ Boris
Neal
Bonner/ Blair...if they play while Boris is out

Arcadian
04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
1) Tim
2) Tony
3) Leonard
4) Splitter
5) Ginobili

Strategic
04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Manu homers rising to the top like fluffy turds. He hasn't carried his weight since the olympics, and I don't think that's what the Spurs pay him for. Wonder if the Spurs would have won 60 by now if not for his apologies? Hopefully he can turn the clock back six years to the last time he played championship ball.

Arcadian
04-14-2013, 12:35 AM
So even though Green is a starter, do you guys think Manu should be in the "final 5" (the lineup that closes out tightly contested games)? Assuming he's healthy, I kinda think he should. Then our closers would be Parker/Ginobili/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan. That's a damn good lineup.

racm
04-14-2013, 08:54 AM
So even though Green is a starter, do you guys think Manu should be in the "final 5" (the lineup that closes out tightly contested games)? Assuming he's healthy, I kinda think he should. Then our closers would be Parker/Ginobili/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan. That's a damn good lineup.

I thought this was a given even considering Pop's mad rotations. Assuming health, the Spurs have a known rotation, with the only wrinkle that being Jackson is gone.

TheCerebral1
04-14-2013, 10:07 AM
1: Tony Parker: The catalyst of the team and the engine that helps run the Spurs efficiently.
2: Tim Duncan: The health is there and he's been huge in his spots. One last run to help raise number 5.
3: Kawhi Leonard: He'll have the responsibility of defending most of the leagues scoring talent.
4: Tiago Splitter: Chipping away on the boards and deflecting and blocking shots.
5: Danny Green: He'll have responsibility in smaller line up set ups of guarding the guards. Hitting his shots will be clutch.
6: Manu Ginobili: I have him ranked sixth because he's been hot and cold this season. He's the biggest "X" factor the Spurs have. If he is going strong, we have the better change of contending.
7: Boris Diaw: Depending on health.
8: Nando De Colo / Matt Bonner: Hitting three's.

100%duncan
04-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Damn gotta agree. I dont have a problem with Neal shooting when it matters but he cant be back up pg whereas I dont expect Green to do what he's supposed to do, dude chokes under pressure.

Dex
04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
1) Tony Parker
2) Tim Duncan
3) Manu Ginobili
4) Kawhi Leonard
5) Tiago Splitter
6) Everybody else.

The Big 3 have to be the Big 3. Without that, it's going to be a short run.

Maybe Kawhi can take Manu's spot and form a new "Big 3", but Manu still needs to be effective for the Spurs to have a legitimate chance.

Tiago needs to help hold down the post and have his efficient games, otherwise teams will be able to close out on our shooters that much easier and take them out of the game.

Brunodf
04-25-2013, 12:37 AM
6- Manu Ginobili..at this point, any vintage performances from Manu would be a luxury..he continues to play a very important bench role which could entirely dictate the success of the bench, but I imagine the team has prepared to play without the Manu of old, tbh..

:lmao

spurraider21
04-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Manu way too low. Should be above Gary Neal

[pats self on back]

DAF86
04-25-2013, 12:45 AM
If Bonner keeps this up he has a case as to make it all the way up to number 1, tbh. And I'm only half kidding.

HarlemHeat37
05-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately, the reliance on Danny Green and to a lesser extent, Gary Neal, continues to haunt the Spurs, tbh..

These guys are one-dimensional players that shouldn't be in the rotation of an aspiring contender..

If Green shoots well, the Spurs win..if he doesn't, they lose:lol..your system should not depend on an 8th man caliber player like Danny Green, tbh..