PDA

View Full Version : Missed Opportunity - Paris 2012 & Terrorism

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Missed Opportunity

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

By John Gibson

You may have noticed the news out of Singapore Wednesday:

The host city for the 2012 Olympics was picked. New York was out early and that was a big relief to me, personally. I think New York needs a rest from big events. All that security wears on you.

Then it was down to Paris and London. And the Olympic big wigs picked London.

All day long people have been saying to me, "Wasn't it great they didn't pick Paris?" And I've been saying, "No, no, no."

Paris was exactly the right place to pick and the Olympic committee screwed up.

Why? Simple. It would have been a three-week period where we wouldn't have had to worry about terrorism.

First, the French think they are so good at dealing with the Arab world that they would have gone out and paid every terrorist off. And things would have been calm.

Or another way to look at it is the French are already up to their eyeballs in terrorists. The French hide them in miserable slums, out of sight of the rich people in Paris.

So it would have been a treat, actually, to watch the French dealing with the problem of their own homegrown Islamist terrorists living in France already.

What would the French have done about rounding up their own citizens?

Would they have afforded their own terrorists the rights they insist we give the detainees at Gitmo? Not a chance. They'd throw them in the clink, or ship them off to North Africa pronto.

Would they have blocked terrorists at the border with unreasonable search and seizure — precisely what they say we should not do? Of course they would. Anybody looking faintly Arab would have had the gendarmerie on them in a flash.

It would have been a delight to have Parisians worried about security instead of New Yorkers. It would have been exquisite to watch.

But, alas, they picked London. I like the Brits. I like London. I hate to see them going through all this garbage when it would have been just fine in Paris.

C'est la vie. Goes to show the Olympic committee doesn't recognize the perfect opportunity when it presents itself.

That's My Word.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,161750,00.html

scott
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
The words "tactless prick" come to mind.

scott
07-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Seriously... why kind of fuck wishes that terrorism would strike someone?

desflood
07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
That's not what he said at all.

scott
07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I hate to see them going through all this garbage when it would have been just fine in Paris.

In other words... "terrorism would be fine in Paris."

scott
07-07-2005, 11:21 PM
And yes, I see his cute attempt at trying to show that the French are hypocrits because they would do all the things they criticize us for doing... except he doesn't really know that they'd do that... but it makes for a cute story.

Regardless of the point he is trying to make, it's tactless and yes, he is a prick. But I wouldn't expect any journalist from the left or right to allow a tragedy to occur with a healthy dose of politicizing.

desflood
07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
In other words... "It'll be nice to see Paris finally have to deal with the ramifications of letting terrorists live unchallenged in their country."

scott
07-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Because no doubt the French Government has a list of terrorists living in Paris and there are terrorists bootcamps right next to the Eiffel Tower.

Nbadan
07-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Terror up or down since W took office?

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/tkbinternationalattacks.png

Notice when attacks where going down, and when they started going up. Since it's hard to read, the black bar, at the low point of international terrorist attacks, is the year 2000. Bush took power in2001, and the rest is history.

BTC News (http://www.btcnews.com/btcnews/1002)

SWC Bonfire
07-08-2005, 08:27 AM
In other words... "terrorism would be fine in Paris."

Kinda sounded like it. But the French do have major connections to north Africa, they would have been a less offensive choice to terrorists, I suppose, but when are we supposed to change our minds because of terrorists? I didn't get that memo.

BTW, I wanted them in Paris because it makes more sense for one big reason: the weather. Kind of hard to run field events/track events when it's raining.

SWC Bonfire
07-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Terror up or down since W took office?

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/tkbinternationalattacks.png

Notice when attacks where going down, and when they started going up. Since it's hard to read, the black bar, at the low point of international terrorist attacks, is the year 2000. Bush took power in2001, and the rest is history.

BTC News (http://www.btcnews.com/btcnews/1002)

This just in:

Attacks from Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan increased dramatically AFTER FDR took office. He is solely responsible for WWII, just look at my fancy graph!

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 09:40 AM
In other words... "It'll be nice to see Paris finally have to deal with the ramifications of letting terrorists live unchallenged in their country."
And those ramifcations would be what? A terrorist attack? And is equating all Muslims to terrorists?

Give me a fucknig break. I'm suprised you posted this Joe, unless I'm missing something here.

blaze89
07-08-2005, 10:36 AM
The French-bashing, although hilarious at times, is wearing thin now. Time for some new material.

desflood
07-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes, accuse me of some sort of bigotry and ignore the French ties to terrorists.

You are missing something: I'm not Joe.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-08-2005, 10:45 AM
And those ramifcations would be what? A terrorist attack? And is equating all Muslims to terrorists?

Give me a fucknig break. I'm suprised you posted this Joe, unless I'm missing something here.

Mainly for discussion purposes.

I just had to add to the title since "Missed Opportunity" wouldn't have given the story.

Personally, I think it's pretty fucking sick to wish that some nation would have to deal with terrorism rather than another.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Nevermind. Deleted post.

desflood
07-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry. His putting that under my quote threw me off.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Mainly for discussion purposes.

I just had to add to the title since "Missed Opportunity" wouldn't have given the story.

Personally, I think it's pretty fucking sick to wish that some nation would have to deal with terrorism rather than another.
I gotcha. It threw me off at first because you didn't say anything underneath. I feel the same way, it's disgusting.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, accuse me of some sort of bigotry and ignore the French ties to terrorists.

:lol

You mean like the American ties to terrorists? The French have a large population of muslims and ties to the muslims in the region, but for every supposed French tie to terrorism I can give you American - Saudi ties etc to match.

The whole premise of the article is to equate that a large muslim population equals a large population of terrorists.

If this is the kid of stuff you like to read over breakfast in the morning, feel free. But yeah, some of us tend to think that what he is saying is pretty damn fucked.

desflood
07-08-2005, 11:09 AM
We read the article a different way, I guess. As we do most things.

GoldToe
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
We read the article a different way, I guess. As we do most things.

When you read "tomatoe" do you read it as "tomatoe" or "tomatoe"?

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Or another way to look at it is the French are already up to their eyeballs in terrorists. The French hide them in miserable slums, out of sight of the rich people in Paris.

If that's not an equation of muslim = terrorist than I don't know what is.

The Ressurrected One
07-08-2005, 12:37 PM
If that's not an equation of muslim = terrorist than I don't know what is.
You're right...you don't know what is.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 12:40 PM
You're right...you don't know what is.
You'll have to forgive me for not taking you seriously. The whole heart gitmo thing along with your inability to grasp FACTS.

SWC Bonfire
07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
How many terrorists have been found in Germany versus France?

This is French bashing, and it's only funny when I do it. :D

The Ressurrected One
07-08-2005, 12:43 PM
You'll have to forgive me for not taking you seriously. The whole heart gitmo thing along with your inability to grasp FACTS.
It's easy to forgive an idiot...done.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 12:49 PM
It's easy to forgive an idiot...done.
:blah :blah

Ocotillo
07-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Some American general recently described the French fighers in Afghanistan in glowing terms for their fighting prowess. Oops, I guess that's not PC in the neo-con world.

some probably didn't realize that the French had troops in Afghanistan. They just disagreed with us on Busheviks excursion into Iraq.......they are looking more right everyday.

SWC Bonfire
07-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Some American general recently described the French fighers in Afghanistan in glowing terms for their fighting prowess. Oops, I guess that's not PC in the neo-con world.

some probably didn't realize that the French had troops in Afghanistan. They just disagreed with us on Busheviks excursion into Iraq.......they are looking more right everyday.

Well, I guess the "neo-con"s that everyone refers to are somebody else, because I personally don't bash the French at every opportunity while watching Fox News on the TV in my Tahoe, or at least in between commercial breaks on Rush Limbaugh when he's talking about how Mookie and CBF need their own special rider on the next Patriot Bill. :lol

And Ocotillo, you forgot the French troops who rescued about 150 Americans in Sierra Leone a few years ago when riots broke out there.

spurschick
07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
This is hardly journalism. I don't see how editors allow this stuff to get published.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, I guess the "neo-con"s that everyone refers to are somebody else, because I personally don't bash the French at every opportunity while watching Fox News on the TV in my Tahoe, or at least in between commercial breaks on Rush Limbaugh when he's talking about how Mookie and CBF need their own special rider on the next Patriot Bill. :lol

And Ocotillo, you forgot the French troops who rescued about 150 Americans in Sierra Leone a few years ago when riots broke out there.
Well, I guess the "neo-con"s that everyone refers to are exemplified quite well in the opening post.