PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Theory on the Kobe Situation.

InRareForm
04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
We all know Kobe was a warrior with prior injuries... nothing new there. But we also knew what situation the Lakers were in, having to full throttle just to get into the playoffs. Did Kobe use this situation to possibly get a very bad injury... Do we continue to drive our car when it it's in the red and possibly not expect a head gasket to blow or engine failure to occur? Not saying he was hoping to get an injury, I am just saying knowing the wear and tear and overusage he knew it was bound to happen. His game/competition clouded his rational. His coach failed to realize this as well. Was there other motives involved here?

Why would he do this? I may be over-analyzing but it is a win win situation. Comeback next season, perform really good, and you will be praised highly. Nothing Jordan ever did, comeback from a terrible injury. If he comes back and is only 40% of what he used to be, well he has the injury excuse to fall back on.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2013, 12:14 PM
As I've said many times, Kobe is by far the best media manipulator in the history of sports..he's the biggest drama queen of all-time, tbh..he knows exactly what he's doing, it's actually quite impressive..

Playing 45+ minutes a game gave him a built-in excuse..

- Receive the credit for playing so many minutes and "willing his team" to the playoffs
- Kobe gets the credit for playing effective, long minutes, but D'Antoni gets the blame if he fails
- If he struggles, the minutes played card is a valid excuse
- It gives the allusion that Kobe needs to carry the Lakers

It was a great plan that was derailed by the injury, tbh..Kobe certainly was shocked, as this is probably the first real injury he has suffered through, but like OP said, now he can add a legendary comeback to the narrative..

Now most people will assume Kobe had to play so much and carry LA with his chucking and they will ignore the fact that he relegated Nash to role player, and that Howard/Gasol complained about him several times:lol..

Mal
04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Old player was run to his maximum.
I mean, late in season, 45-48 mpg for old vet. It could happen, and it happend.

Cry Havoc
04-13-2013, 12:25 PM
As I've said many times, Kobe is by far the best media manipulator in the history of sports..he's the biggest drama queen of all-time, tbh..he knows exactly what he's doing, it's actually quite impressive..

- Receive the credit for playing so many minutes and "willing his team" to the playoffs
- Kobe gets the credit for playing effective, long minutes, but D'Antoni gets the blame if he fails

It was a great plan that was derailed by the injury, tbh..Kobe certainly was shocked, as this is probably the first real injury he has suffered through, but like OP said, now he can add a legendary comeback to the narrative..

Now most people will assume Kobe had to play so much and carry LA with his chucking and they will ignore the fact that he relegated Nash to role player, and that Howard/Gasol complained about him several times:lol..

Well said.

Thread
04-13-2013, 12:32 PM
We all know Kobe was a warrior with prior injuries... nothing new there. But we also knew what situation the Lakers were in, having to full throttle just to get into the playoffs. Did Kobe use this situation to possibly get a very bad injury... Do we continue to drive our car when it it's in the red and possibly not expect a head gasket to blow or engine failure to occur? Not saying he was hoping to get an injury, I am just saying knowing the wear and tear and overusage he knew it was bound to happen. His game/competition clouded his rational. His coach failed to realize this as well. Was there other motives involved here?

Why would he do this? I may be over-analyzing but it is a win win situation. Comeback next season, perform really good, and you will be praised highly. Nothing Jordan ever did, comeback from a terrible injury. If he comes back and is only 40% of what he used to be, well he has the injury excuse to fall back on.

Old player was run to his maximum.
I mean, late in season, 45-48 mpg for old vet. It could happen, and it happend.

Well said.

Boiled down:::

Kobe: 5

the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

DPG21920
04-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Thread: what are your thoughts on Kobe in general?

Thread
04-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Thread: what are your thoughts on Kobe in general?

I'll choose the time, place & inquisitor when I decide to take an exam.

Let us proceed...

DPG21920
04-13-2013, 12:38 PM
He just blamed his injuries.

Thread
04-13-2013, 12:38 PM
He just blamed his injuries.

Only pussies & assholes play in the injury card.

DPG21920
04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
But Kobe did it - so are you saying your thoughts on Kobe have changed?

Thread
04-13-2013, 12:44 PM
But Kobe did it - so are you saying your thoughts on Kobe have changed?

I'll choose the time, place & inquisitor when I decide to take an exam.

Let us proceed...

Mal
04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Boiled down:::

Boiled down:

Achilles tendon Duncan: 2
Achilles tendon Bryant: 1

Thread
04-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Boiled down:

Achilles tendon Duncan: 2
Achilles tendon Bryant: 1

Fine. You take that one. I'm dancin' with who brung me:::

unforeseen
04-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Only pussies & assholes play in the injury card.

NO EXCUSESperiod

Thread
04-13-2013, 01:53 PM
NO EXCUSESperiod

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

DPG21920
04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I started that.

Thread
04-13-2013, 01:55 PM
I started that.

Please.

DPG21920
04-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I set that trend.

Thread
04-13-2013, 01:58 PM
I set that trend.

Please.

DPG21920
04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
I win again!

Thebesteva
04-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I dunno how to feel tbh, all I know is best case scenario this team could make it to the 2nd round...and I mean BEST CASE scenario. Maybe this is better for the organization somehow because I feel it's been rebuilding time for a few years now but Kobe keeps making Laker fans think he still has it in him to win a title.

It's time to build around Coward and to go after Kyrie in 2015.

Latarian Milton
04-13-2013, 05:47 PM
kobe won't come back only half what he used to be imho. if he feels he's no longer able to play at the highest level anymore, he would rather retire at age 35 instead of continuing to play like TOSB t-mac does. dude has already gained everything a bball-playin' nigga could ever achieve imho.