PDA

View Full Version : Celts sign Scalabrine for five years

Kori Ellis
07-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Scalabrine a Net gain for Celts
By Steve Bulpett
Friday, July 8, 2005

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=58373

LAS VEGAS - Nothing can be official or even settled until free agent contracts are allowed to be signed on July 22, but barring any unforeseen events Brian Scalabrine will be a Celtic.

League sources indicated yesterday that the New Jersey Nets forward has reached an agreement in principle with the Celts on a five-year contract for something just short of $15 million.

Maintaining a measure of flexibility, the C's will use about half of their mid-level exception, which is expected to be set in the $5 million range when the new collective bargaining agreement parameters are calculated. The other half could be used on a veteran point guard, unless the club gets such a player in trade.

C's director of basketball operations Danny Ainge wouldn't elaborate on the Scalabrine reports.

``I don't comment on any free agent discussions,'' Ainge said yesterday at the Reebok Summer League. ``I don't want to jinx anything. I prefer nobody knowing my business.''

It is known that he is fond of the 6-foot-9, 235-pound Scalabrine's game, which is evident in the fairly sizable deal for someone of so modest stats (3.9 points in 14.8 minutes over 210 games). The four-year veteran out of USC is a physical player with a good mid-range touch. He is, however, just a 39.3 percent career shooter after hitting nearly 40 percent for the Nets last season. On the other hand, Scalabrine scored in double figures in six of Jersey's last eight regular-season games when he got significant minutes. He started those eight games, helping the Nets make the playoffs with a 7-1 run.

New Jersey, meanwhile, was focusing its attention yesterday on free agent Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Scalabrine's presumed presence won't be the key factor if Antoine Walker doesn't return. Word is the Celts would still take him back at the right price, but there is reason to doubt that number is in sync with Walker's current expectation.

League sources say Walker's side has been looking into sign and trade options that would allow him to get more than the mid-level exception. The Celtics could be amenable to that type of deal only if it allowed them to trim their payroll in a year or two. Failing that, the C's aren't looking to take back anyone with a hefty long-term contract.

timvp
07-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Is it me or is this a racial signing by the Celtics? The Celtics signing a guy with red hair is about as bad as if Seattle threw big money at Wang Zhi-Zhi.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Perhaps a little bit of that factored in, but a lot of stupidity did, that's for certain.

Why is it that a lot of East Coast teams find ways to screw up?

FromWayDowntown
07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Scalabrine for 5 years???

I guess the Celtics efforts to coax Jim McIlvane out of retirement must have come up short.

Mark in Austin
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Ainge could have saved $14,999,990.00 or so by just having Lafrentz die his hair orange.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
would you rather have brian scalabrine for 5 years or use a first round draft pick for the redhead wonder boy Robert Swift?

orhe
07-10-2005, 11:07 AM
if this was racial they should have gone after Kaman instead... at least that guy could play

timvp
07-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Kaman doesn't have red hair.

The Celts actually tried to get Swift, but the Sonics beat them to the punch.

I'm surprised Bill Walton never ended up on the Celtics. Oh, wait.

TheIf Of jUStiCE
07-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Kaman doesn't have red hair.

The Celts actually tried to get Swift, but the Sonics beat them to the punch.

I'm surprised Bill Walton never ended up on the Celtics. Oh, wait.

I will be surprised if Swift ever approaches the level of Scalabrine.