PDA

View Full Version : The One Thing I'm Most Concerned With Coming Into the Playoffs

booonkers
04-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Honestly, it's Coach Pop. After the last few playoffs, I'm a bit worried that Pop might get out coached again and we all know he's one stubborn guy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the four rings and he's a future hall of famer but the past few seasons have made me lose confidence in his ability to adjust, his rotations and his decision making. Do you guys think this postseason will be different? I hope the Coach Pop of 1999-2007 comes back.

benstanfield
04-14-2013, 06:12 AM
The one thing I'm most concerned with is that we released our 10 million dollar backup SF a week before the playoffs.

benstanfield
04-14-2013, 06:13 AM
For locker room reasons.

Robz4000
04-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Pop is among the last things I'm worried about. Health and health alone is the only thing I worry about.

sventhedog
04-14-2013, 07:00 AM
I think it's officially really-small-ball.

racm
04-14-2013, 07:09 AM
He's at the Don Nelson stage of his career where the senility starts creeping in and he doesn't play to win games but to prove his system can win games.

Of course, it helps to have a rejuvenated Tim Duncan and a rapidly blooming Kawhi Leonard, as well as MVParker.

houston spurs fan
04-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Racm, please stop posting comments. You just compared Pop to Don Nelson and called him senile. These unintelligent threads need to cease. Comparing Pop 1999-2007 including a prime Tim Duncan to today's Pop and team expecting the same results are just silly. Pop's ability to adapt over the years and making use of what he has had to work with have been genius. The NBA recognizes that and awarded him coach of the year last year. What do you want him to do? Prevent injuries, aging, locker room garbage, Blair knowing he's gone, etc... As a die hard there is no one I would rather have at the help than Pop...

racm
04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Racm, please stop posting comments. You just compared Pop to Don Nelson and called him senile. These unintelligent threads need to cease. Comparing Pop 1999-2007 including a prime Tim Duncan to today's Pop and team expecting the same results are just silly. Pop's ability to adapt over the years and making use of what he has had to work with have been genius. The NBA recognizes that and awarded him coach of the year last year. What do you want him to do? Prevent injuries, aging, locker room garbage, Blair knowing he's gone, etc... As a die hard there is no one I would rather have at the help than Pop...

Oops, I forgot to preface my post with "GNSF post" or write in blue font. I'm terribly sorry.

Chomag
04-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Bonner and midget ball. That is all.

wildbill2u
04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Pop has grown senile since 2007? I guess he won the NBA Coach of the Year award last year because of pity for his mental condition. And this year we are nearing a 60 win season despite all the injuries. Pitiful. :depressed

Oh the other hand, maybe it's the Pop haters that are senile or don't know anything at all about basketball.

racm
04-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Pop has grown senile since 2007? I guess he won the NBA Coach of the Year award last year because of pity for his mental condition. And this year we are nearing a 60 win season despite all the injuries. Pitiful. :depressed

Oh the other hand, maybe it's the Pop haters that are senile or don't know anything at all about basketball.

You don't look at GNSF posts a lot I guess.

Then again, I've gone from "he's a GOAT coach" to being a bit more hot-and-cold with him the past two months. :lol

boutons_deux
04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
The one thing I'm most concerned with is that we released our 10 million dollar backup SF a week before the playoffs.

SJax wasn't making anywhere near $10M in basketball contributions this season, or for past seasons. He became a cancer on his beloved Spurs just like he did on every other team.

Strategic
04-14-2013, 09:41 AM
SJax wasn't making anywhere near $10M in basketball contributions this season, or for past seasons. He became a cancer on his beloved Spurs just like he did on every other team.TOSB got rid of HWMNBN'd. What else could we expect from the man?

TheGoldStandard
04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
I am most concerned with the all locker room problems hitting the fan the last week before the playoffs. Problems escalate fast but I am not sure if anyone else was aware of the "cancer" problem that might have been able to solve it. I'm not saying Stephen Jackson was contributing enough to put up with anything that might have been a huge offense but injuries do occur in the playoffs and live bodies are nice to have.

Pop concerns me a little just because he doesn't really dictate the pace of the game, he waits till the absolute limit before he'll make an adjustment and its usually cowtowing to whatever the other team is doing in hopes that he can spark the team. It really become dependent on the permiter guys instead of trying to get Parker and hopefully in this case Manu fired up to attack and perform or in Manu's case to tone it down a bit when he's wild.

Also concerned with clutch play, Bonner and Blair are going to be getting some serious minutes and with small ball we lose so much rebounding and of course size inside when we go with the second unit, leads are going to dwindle and our 2nd team has to learn to make wide open shots to keep those leads. (Bonner/Neal/Green)

Man In Black
04-14-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't think Pop gets outcoached so much as his team gets outplayed. Each player knows his role, if they fail, Pop fails. The guy is Military and for them, preparation is how they live. But even the US Military ain't undefeated.

pgardn
04-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Honestly, it's Coach Pop. After the last few playoffs, I'm a bit worried that Pop might get out coached again and we all know he's one stubborn guy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the four rings and he's a future hall of famer but the past few seasons have made me lose confidence in his ability to adjust, his rotations and his decision making. Do you guys think this postseason will be different? I hope the Coach Pop of 1999-2007 comes back.

Outcoached...

we get beat by a team of far superior athletes with a superior ability to rotate and Pop got outcoached...

sure thing...

boutons_deux
04-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I think Pop has already made a "playoff mistake" by not playing Aron as soon as he joined.

He misses some rotations, but rebounding, shot altering, lane clearing, put backs make up for it, probably more than Neal's high-scoring games make up for his low-scoring games.

biskvito
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Props to Pop. Listening to an old overpayed player nagging about rotations in a team supposed to be all about discipline and professionalism is a nice way to lose respect and control.

therealtruth
04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Outcoached...

we get beat by a team of far superior athletes with a superior ability to rotate and Pop got outcoached...

sure thing...

That's why you make adjustments. The Heat had better athletes with a superior ability to rotate and still got beat by the Mavs in '11 and they only had Dirk. We've got a big 3 and Pop can't make adjustments to make up for that? For instance in game 2 of the Finals in '11 Carlisle made an adjustment late in that game to use a staggered screen with Dirk that ended up being crucial in helping them win the game. When you make adjustments it catches the other team of guard and gives you a chance to take advantage till they adjust. Why was SB's adjustments in game 3 so crucial? It caught us off guard and allowed them to take advantage.

therealtruth
04-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Nobody's saying he doesn't know basketball. But the past few season his regular season success hasn't really translated into the playoffs. And it's not as simple as they haven't won a championship but the Spurs simply haven't been competitive enough at times.

houston spurs fan
04-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Nobody's saying he doesn't know basketball. But the past few season his regular season success hasn't really translated into the playoffs. And it's not as simple as they haven't won a championship but the Spurs simply haven't been competitive enough at times.

What did you want him to do against Memphis with Manu hurt and Tim banged up. Last year,he won 10 playoff games in a row...

spurs10
04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Pop is among the last things I'm
worried about. Health and health alone is the only thing I worry about.
Health....period
:toast

Brunodf
04-14-2013, 03:03 PM
What did you want him to do against Memphis with Manu hurt and Tim banged up. Last year,he won 10 playoff games in a row...
Play Manu since game 1/not play the Turd towers/Pop underestimated that Grizzlies team

silverblk mystix
04-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Pop had already buried a HEALTHY Tiago all season and when Memphis destroyed our turd towers he suddenly panicked and tried to insert Tiago just like he panicked against the Mavpricks and inserted George Hill after saying Hill "was not made for these playoffs" or some nonsense that a genius would have never said.

Last year Pop never adjusted to Sefalosha being put on Parker until elimination.

The popsuckers poppers annual meet is going to be crowded this season!

KaiRMD1
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Pop has been doing dumb shit for a while when it comes to his coaching. Why should we be surprised when he does more dumb shit this year. Pop's lost whatever it was that got us to the big dance back in the day. Don't get me wrong, he has shades of brilliance but the second somebody figures him out, he doesn't adjust or figure shit out correctly.

spurraider21
04-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Pop is dumb for not having an all-nba caliber scoring wing. idiot coaching decision tbh. thats why spoelstra and brooks are successful. smarter coaching decisions

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Sure, some adjustments could have been made, but the OKC series boils down to the fact OKC can play their stars 45-48 MPG and the Spurs can't.

weeks
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Sure, some adjustments could have been made, but the OKC series boils down to the fact OKC can play their stars 45-48 MPG and the Spurs can't.
agreed.
people are missing the forest for the trees. it's like this angst or neurosis spurs fans have. it sucked the way we went out last year but it wasn't humiliating! it was against a stacked league-favorite OKC. but oh let's put this all on pop

sports fans will always bitch about their coach, this is the inevitable rule. the universal constant.
but shitty coaches don't rack up wins and make deep playoff runs on such a consistent basis with so few athletes the way pop has year after year.
he makes mistakes like any sinner but most fans would be jumping for joy to have Pop at the helm of their clubs. let's not put the man on an ice floe just yet for fuck's sake. he's earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

EricB
04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Play Manu since game 1/not play the Turd towers/Pop underestimated that Grizzlies team

So play the guy when he wasn't ready? Got it.

EricB
04-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Pop had already buried a HEALTHY Tiago all season and when Memphis destroyed our turd towers he suddenly panicked and tried to insert Tiago just like he panicked against the Mavpricks and inserted George Hill after saying Hill "was not made for these playoffs" or some nonsense that a genius would have never said.

Last year Pop never adjusted to Sefalosha being put on Parker until elimination.

The popsuckers poppers annual meet is going to be crowded this season!

Who you want to coach instead?

silverblk mystix
04-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Who you want to coach instead?

Show me where exactly in my comment did I specifically say that I wanted someone to coach the Spurs. Thanks.

pgardn
04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
That's why you make adjustments. The Heat had better athletes with a superior ability to rotate and still got beat by the Mavs in '11 and they only had Dirk. We've got a big 3 and Pop can't make adjustments to make up for that? For instance in game 2 of the Finals in '11 Carlisle made an adjustment late in that game to use a staggered screen with Dirk that ended up being crucial in helping them win the game. When you make adjustments it catches the other team of guard and gives you a chance to take advantage till they adjust. Why was SB's adjustments in game 3 so crucial? It caught us off guard and allowed them to take advantage.

Horrible comparison.
Dallas was playing great D with players in the proper positions. And they were shooting lights out. We were not. You have to be playing well. We also had a much weaker bench to adjust with. With that group we were not going to beat them.

its not that hard. It's curious they did not harass Parker much earlier. Memphis used it the year before.

LarryDavid
04-14-2013, 06:02 PM
But even the US Military ain't undefeated.

This guy says otherwise...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37001558.jpg

LarryDavid
04-14-2013, 06:17 PM
My only concern is health. Take a healthy (relative) Spurs team into/through the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.

BackHome
04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah we go into the dance with no Diaw and no Manu we are going to get SPANKED...

Man In Black
04-14-2013, 06:43 PM

That guy never heard of the Vietnam war.
12-1

Brunodf
04-14-2013, 06:43 PM
So play the guy when he wasn't ready? Got it.
Manu said that he could and do u really think he was ready in game 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6?:bang

rascal
04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
The one thing I am concerned about is the Spurs roster.

rascal
04-14-2013, 08:11 PM

This guy is about to get struck by lightning holding that flag with an impending storm coming in.

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Bonner and midget ball. That is all.

therealtruth
04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Horrible comparison.
Dallas was playing great D with players in the proper positions. And they were shooting lights out. We were not. You have to be playing well. We also had a much weaker bench to adjust with. With that group we were not going to beat them.

its not that hard. It's curious they did not harass Parker much earlier. Memphis used it the year before.

Teams have known since '04 when the Spurs got backdoor swept how to stop Parker. Pop/Parker have never adjusted. Last year was a repeat of '04 and '11. How many times are we going to lose the same way before the HOF coach makes the adjustment? Both in '04 and last year the other team made the adjustments on Parker in game 3 and the Spurs never recovered. Everyone in the world knows the adjustment is coming except Pop.

callo1
04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
REBOUNDING is my biggest worry

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 09:31 PM
The one thing I am concerned about is the Spurs roster.

Ditto!!!!!!!!! This is the truth.
REBOUNDING is my biggest worry
This usually comes along with POPS brilliant small ball lineups!

spurraider21
04-14-2013, 09:38 PM
If your ONE concern isn't health, you've lost your mind. TP hobbled, Manu/Boris out

pgardn
04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Teams have known since '04 when the Spurs got backdoor swept how to stop Parker. Pop/Parker have never adjusted. Last year was a repeat of '04 and '11. How many times are we going to lose the same way before the HOF coach makes the adjustment? Both in '04 and last year the other team made the adjustments on Parker in game 3 and the Spurs never recovered. Everyone in the world knows the adjustment is coming except Pop.
he is a completely diff. Player than 04