PDA

View Full Version : This loss doesn't bother me much ...

timvp
04-14-2013, 10:37 PM
... but the fact that Tony Parker looks terrible physically has me wondering whether the Spurs can get out of the first round. Parker's numbers were great in his return but, like I said at the time, he didn't look good physically. Tonight he was moving even worse, lacked any semblance of speed and had no explosion at the rim.

Unless Parker recovers in the next week, things ain't lookin' good.

:depressed

timvp
04-14-2013, 10:39 PM
What makes the injuries extra frustrating is that TD looks so damn good physically ...

Russ
04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
... but the fact that Tony Parker looks terrible physically has me wondering whether the Spurs can get out of the first round. Parker's numbers were great in his return but, like I said at the time, he didn't look good physically. Tonight he was moving even worse, lacked any semblance of speed and had no explosion at the rim.

I'm just hoping Parker doesn't want to go all out to the hoop until it matters.

It would look pretty foolish if he injured himself on some kamikaze drive unless it's in a playoff game.

superjames1992
The scary thing, too, is that he's playing Steve Blake. He's not exactly getting shut down by Sefolosha and his defense on Blake has been pretty awful, too.

If he's still injured, then sit him until the playoffs. We need him in the playoffs.

We need Manu, too, of course.

Monster1776
YOU HAD ONE JOB SAN ANTONIO! ONE DAMNED JOB! Now we can't make fun of the Lakers for not making the playoffs with their bloated payroll.

SanDiegoSpursFan
It looked like he was pretty hesitant to go full speed. I think there were a couple of times where he had an angle to the basket and could have blown by Blake and instead just passed it out. IDK if that's because he can't or because he is still wary about injuries.

Robz4000
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Yep, it's pretty disheartening.

sananspursfan21
The offense has absolutely no fluidity.. the defense looks pretty good at times but no one rotated to jamison when he hit those 3 3s to really spark the win. i'm pretty nervous now. i thought to myself if they win this game, it's a major pick-me-up for them and they might gain some traction despite some circumstances. i'm veerrrry worried now

DPG21920
How does this loss not bother you? For health reasons, rotation reasons and confidence reasons? Why play the main guys if it means nothing?

Dex
04-14-2013, 10:43 PM
The fact that Tony isn't closing out this game tells a bipolar story.

Either the Spurs don't really want the win (at which point, why is Timmy in?) or he is not ready for the playoffs...

04-14-2013, 10:46 PM
spurs are coasting straight to an early vacation

superjames1992
04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
The Lakers announcer just said that Tony Parker "aggravated his pride..."

spurspokesman
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
spurs are terrible

ShoogarBear
04-14-2013, 10:51 PM
This is now shaping up to be a complete collapse across the board, with Duncan being the only (healthy) person in the whole organization who's acquitting himself.

itzsoweezee
04-14-2013, 10:51 PM
How does this loss not bother you? For health reasons, rotation reasons and confidence reasons? Why play the main guys if it means nothing?

For real. There is nothing positive to say about this Spurs team other than Tim Duncan is playing well.

polandprzem
04-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Spurs playing like shit and it doesn't matter if tp looks healthy or not

Mugen
04-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Parker looks like to be at 50% at best tbh.

cjw
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
YOU HAD ONE JOB SAN ANTONIO! ONE DAMNED JOB! Now we can't make fun of the Lakers for not making the playoffs with their bloated payroll.

You scared or something? But in all seriousness, Houston has a shot to knock out the Lakers.

OKC isn't losing either of their last two so this game was meaningless and we played like it. Game meant everything to the Lakers. Parker looks absolutely off. I'd shut everyone down in the GS game and pray TP gets better.

Blue Duck
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I agree with your assessment of Parker's struggles. And I'm also becoming increasingly annoyed with Gary Neal. Let's hope we can get it together, and........... injuries or not, for gods sake can we please have a set rotation??

Monster1776
04-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Is anyone really surprised when your top 3 players are 30, 35, and 36?

diego
it bothers me! we owed the lakers one, eliminating them from the PO would have been sweet. can't believe we coughed this up, especially with duncan going all out

siraulo23
spurs are done, id be happy if they get out of the first round at this point

tp looked and wasnt moving well like he did vs Thunder, even against the kings he scored but he didnt look great physically

I dont think we gonna we seeing vintage tony in the POs at all

Sad sad way to end the season, another disappointing year

Floyd Pacquiao
he's probably soar... but still really disgusted by his lack of balls out their...

polandprzem
You scared or something? But in all seriousness, Houston has a shot to knock out the Lakers.

OKC isn't losing either of their last two so this game was meaningless and we played like it. Game meant everything to the Lakers. Parker looks absolutely off. I'd shut everyone down in the GS game and pray TP gets better.
walkover?

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Parker's injury has destroyed the Spurs offense, unfortunately, and they haven't recovered..

I was hopeful they would find their rhythm once Tony got healthy, but it doesn't appear that he's going to be even 80% for the playoffs..

If Parker is playing at just an above average level, which has been the case since his return, the Spurs have Duncan(star) and a bunch of role players, especially since Leonard hasn't been utilized properly by Pop..

Darius Bieber
Let's face it, the Spurs have nothing to blame these losses on. They can't blame it on injury. Hell, Lakers lost their super-super-star player in Kobe and played with heart to win tonight. Why can't the Spurs do that? What sickens me even more is when Pop just sits back on the bench when the Spurs are playing bullshit basketball. He needs to get these guys in line, otherwise we can go fishing in 4 games in the first round.

LakerHater
I always wanna beat the fLakers!

KaiRMD1
04-14-2013, 10:56 PM
At least Jack is probably smiling somewhere

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
It is not really the loss that bothers me (Well it does though) , moreso the last month........ They look horrible and this year has come appart quickly.

timvp
How does this loss not bother you?

1. The Spurs were locked into the No. 2 seed before this game. OKC is winning out.

2. End of the season confidence/momentum doesn't really matter much once the playoffs get underway.

A W/L against the Lakers doesn't even register on the radar when the other issues are so pressing.

Mugen
Shades of 2011. You rely on one guy too much the whole season and when he gets injured, you're fighting to get out of the first round tbh.

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
1. The Spurs were locked into the No. 2 seed before this game. OKC is winning out.

2. End of the season confidence/momentum doesn't really matter much once the playoffs get underway.

A W/L against the Lakers doesn't even register on the radar when the other issues are so pressing.

That's exactly what I said tbh...This game highlighted everything that is wrong so obviously it should bother you: TP looked hobbled, rotations are a disaster without Boris/Jack and I strongly disagree that confidence is not an issue once playoffs get under way. The team appears shook overall with all the team drama and injuries.

If you strictly meant in the W/L column, ok, but that's not what I took it as.

jestersmash
04-14-2013, 10:58 PM

Yeah but now you guys can royally rape them first round.

BillMc
04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
The question is does Tony need more time to get in rhythm (i.e play him these remaining games) or more rest and recovery (i.e. shut it down until the playoffs.) Really, I have no idea which way to take it with Parker. Thoughts?

Sean Cagney
it bothers me! we owed the lakers one, eliminating them from the PO would have been sweet. can't believe we coughed this up, especially with duncan going all out
Believe me, starting with the Miami game at home I can believe they coughed this up and even expected it! This team is horrible now, period.

lefty20
Spurs need to shutdown Tony for till the playoffs. Just gotta hope he is fully healthy come game 1, if he's not this season is over.

superjames1992
04-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Tony's struggles will be a little less detrimental if Manu can come back and play at a high level in the playoffs.

Of course, that's a huge "if" at this point given his injuries.

crc21209
Meh....why go 110% balls to the wall when these games mean absolutely nothing to the team except for conditioning. Think about it, TP looked pretty damn good on Friday in a game where if the Spurs won, they locked up the 2 seed. Now that they have the 2 seed, why push yourself so hard when it isnt even necessary until Saturday or Sunday?

polandprzem
That's exactly what I said tbh...This game highlighted everything that is wrong so obviously it should bother you: TP looked hobbled, rotations are a disaster without Boris/Jack and I strongly disagree that confidence is not an issue once playoffs get under way. The team appears shook overall with all the team drama and injuries.

If you strictly meant in the W/L column, ok, but that's not what I took it as.

and

DejuanorwhatDude
What's sad is that the team will get significantly worse next year. The team needs a spark and fast. Cutting Jack is looking like a terrible decision right before the playoffs.

bklynspursfan
04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Leonard 1-5 Parker 1-10, (and Parkers replacement DeColo 1-6) obviously it'll be hard to win games when those guys shoot like that. 6-18 from 3 doesn't help either, especially with several of those open looks.

But the positives were:

*The defense continues to look pretty good, with the exception of a few missed blown rotations & communication. (Also giving up 30 in the 4th)

*Only 8 turnovers tonight (4 alone from Parker)

*Duncan took his level of play up another level at Dwight & Pau when needed most

*Splitter did a nice job defensively on Pau, and had a few gimmes missed, but looked good otherwise (rebounded well & 3 blocks)

Hopefully Pop goes w/Bonner before Blair from now on. Once the playoffs start, and the home crowd is into it, the shots that we're missing will start to drop. And Manu's energy of course will help everyone. I'm one of the few on here who thinks struggling going into the playoffs isn't the end of the world. Last year going in hot, it's like we couldn't turn it up another level.

Budkin
Things are so shitty right now but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Spurs play decent ball at least in the first round.

DPG21920
So why play TP/Tim/Kawhi tonight? That logic makes no sense to me. If confidence means nothing and Spurs locked in, what good could come from this?

Only bad: injury, worse confidence...

superjames1992
Meh....why go 110% balls to the wall when these games mean absolutely nothing to the team except for conditioning. Think about it, TP looked pretty damn good on Friday in a game where if the Spurs won, they locked up the 2 seed. Now that they have the 2 seed, why push yourself so hard when it isnt even necessary until Saturday or Sunday?
The Spurs were playing Sacramento, though. I wouldn't judge too much based off that game.

We shall see, of course.

timvp
04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Yeah, the hope is that Parker was holding something back. But that's pretty damn unlikely. If the plan was for him not to run or jump, he should have just not played. Going out there and playing at 40% helps nothing.

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 11:03 PM
If the Spurs flame out of the playoffs largely due to injuries again, with how great this season was going, I think the off season decision on Manu becomes significantly tougher.

crc21209
04-14-2013, 11:03 PM

So why play TP/Tim/Kawhi tonight? That logic makes no sense to me. If confidence means nothing and Spurs locked in, what good could come from this?

Only bad: injury, worse confidence...

How about getting a run in for conditioning? If you rest all the big guns tonight and for the rest of the season then that means none of them would have played for about 7-8 days since the Kings game. Would you really want a rusty ass team in Game 1?

hooperflash
04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Not much discussion on poor lineup decisions from Pop.

letmk
04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
TBH, I wish Pop got into some family business so that coach B can do the coaching. Health notwithstanding, Pop just seems disinterested and resigned, not only in this game, but in many recent games.

loveforthegame
Parker looks broke. :depressed

TheGoldStandard
Shutting down players isn't going to solve anything, we're a few weeks before playoffs start and a few days of rest isn't going to turn Parker back into a beast. He's hurting both physically and mentally, didn't attack the basket and was tentitive tonight. Goes to show what we can expect in the PO, bench is going to have to wake up and score.

DPG21920
How about getting a run in for conditioning? If you rest all the big guns tonight and for the rest of the season then that means none of them would have played for about 7-8 days since the Kings game. Would you really want a rusty ass team in Game 1?

Look at them tonight, did they look sharp to you?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2013, 11:06 PM
F*ck this season, I'm sorry but if you thought 2011 had a bad ending this year might be worse.

td4mvp21
04-14-2013, 11:06 PM
It bothers me because they looked terrible once again. I feel bad for Duncan.

crc21209
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Look at them tonight, did they look sharp to you?

I didnt say they looked sharp and I didnt say this game was for them to "sharpen up". I said it was a game to get a run in a bit without overdoing it..

Jumi
04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
That was a pathetic performance regardless of the injuries. I would've felt better if the lineup was Joseph, Neal, Green, Bonner and Blair. This team embrasses you as a fan, more often, than a team with their level of accomplishments should. At times they have no hunger, desire, focus, or dare I say it, a "Kobe" like will to win! Individually, Timmy does, but this team as a whole, doesn't. This isn't a meltdown, it's more like a feeling of disgust or utter disdain.

spurraider21
04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
blair and bonner combining for 40 minutes :rollin

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
I didnt say they looked sharp and I didnt say this game was for them to "sharpen up". I said it was a game to get a run in a bit without overdoing it..

There was no good reason to play any of the key players if you weren't legitimately trying to win.

stephen jackson
04-14-2013, 11:11 PM
parker, it looks more like a mental thing he looks out of it, must be having personal problems, even though he did look slow, he commited stupid turnovers

dylankerouac
04-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Shutting down players isn't going to solve anything, we're a few weeks before playoffs start and a few days of rest isn't going to turn Parker back into a beast. He's hurting both physically and mentally, didn't attack the basket and was tentitive tonight. Goes to show what we can expect in the PO, bench is going to have to wake up and score.

First game of playoffs is next Saturday/Sunday.

emanueldavidginobili
04-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Spurs better get their shit together FAST because the Rockets are not going to be easy at all.

siraulo23
04-14-2013, 11:13 PM
is there any hope that tp will suddenly get close to 100% before the POs?

what exactly is wrong with him? last time he didnt play he was listed having a sore neck?

Juggity
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
The loss does bother me. Spurs have nothing to look forward to in the postseason, so I was looking forward to seeing the Lakers not participating.

I am consoled by kobe's severe injury tho. ye gods, basketball gods. you've done good work today.

crc21209
There was no good reason to play any of the key players if you weren't legitimately trying to win.

If Pop wanted to win maybe he would've had TP (No matter how bad he looked) and Splitter in the final 5 mins instead of CoJo and Bonner defending Gasol...

Johnny RIngo
Believe me, starting with the Miami game at home I can believe they coughed this up and even expected it! This team is horrible now, period.

They were playing terrible before the Miami game actually...choking against the Rockets, unable to close games.

I already said this season was looking like 2011 all over again but everybody wanted to pretend the team was alright. You can't really call yourself a contender if you can't close games and this team has looked AWFUL in the last two minutes of every game for the past month.

Harry Callahan
This team is not going to do anything in the playoffs beyond the first round in it's current state. I did not see the game, but it sounds like Parker is totally messed up physically. This team has had a wonderful regular season, but unlike last year, the key players outside of Duncan are not in a good way. Tony Parker is an All-NBA performer and the accumulated beating he has taken recently has robbed him of his normal ability. It's pretty obvious that the Spurs have been dealt a very tough situation at the end of the year again, just like in 2011.

I hate that the Spurs are not able to do what they are capable of doing and have done all year long. It's a shame. What makes it worse is that the veteran core guys are not going to get more opportunities at the playoffs and two rounds with the HCA.
Bottom line, this is what happens to 30 something basketball players. They get hurt more often.

BTW, this situation has nothing to do with Stephen Jackson - he has been awful all year long.

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 11:15 PM
If Pop wanted to win maybe he would've had TP (No matter how bad he looked) and Splitter in the final 5 mins instead of CoJo and Bonner defending Gasol...

Or maybe TP was so hobbled tonight Pop had to pull him. Perhaps he was really pissed at Tiago's soft play too.

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
People keep talking about past the first round like that is guaranteed. It's not. Should they get past it? Yes, but it is far from a lock at this point. Unless Manu magically comes back, TP was faking and Boris gets back ASAP, Spurs no matter who their first round opp is could be in trouble.

TJastal
04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
What makes the injuries extra frustrating is that TD looks so damn good physically ...

Pop finally got Tim the help he needed... unfortunately he had to funnel his mad scientist persona into the point guard rotarion with not to surprising consequences.

TheGoldStandard
04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
blair and bonner combining for 40 minutes :rollin

More of that to come with everyone hurt and Pop not playing Baynes at all.

spurraider21
04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
all the talk of Manu signing for 8 mil a year should be out the window at this point. outside of last season's playoff run, injuries have plagued the spurs as the big 3 have aged.

timvp
parker, it looks more like a mental thing he looks out of it, must be having personal problems, even though he did look slow, he commited stupid turnovers

A mental thing that doesn't allow him to move faster than a brisk walk? Yeah, no, I don't buy that...

crc21209
People keep talking about past the first round like that is guaranteed. It's not. Should they get past it? Yes, but it is far from a lock at this point. Unless Manu magically comes back, TP was faking and Boris gets back ASAP, Spurs no matter who their first round opp is could be in trouble.

No team is a lock to get passed the 1st round in the West tbh, except for the Thunder. The Nuggets could get beaten by the Rockets/Warriors. The Clippers/Grizzlies is a toss up as well. No easy series in the West...

BatManu20
04-14-2013, 11:20 PM

We deserve to be mocked tbh. Our role players were gutless tonight.

Monkeyboy14
04-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Tony will be fine... I understand the worry but i mean.. its the spurs.. We are locked in at 2 even if we win the rest of our games, or even if we lose the rest.. TP just taking it easy because he, pop, and everyone knows there is no point what so ever to even really try right now

Darius McCrary
Parker looks finished for this season. Physically and rhythmically.

2009 redux, except this year he's on the court.

SenorSpur

That's why your bench had better be stellar instead of undersized, underskilled and underperforming role players.

Monkeyboy14
04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
A mental thing that doesn't allow him to move faster than a brisk walk? Yeah, no, I don't buy that...
Hes just not trying man.. Like you said we are locked in at 2 no matter what happens.. No point in risking anything by over playing right now.

DPG21920
04-14-2013, 11:24 PM
No team is a lock to get passed the 1st round in the West tbh, except for the Thunder. The Nuggets could get beaten by the Rockets/Warriors. The Clippers/Grizzlies is a toss up as well. No easy series in the West...

Agreed but Spurs should have been a lock. This was one of the most painful meltdowns I have ever watched as a Spurs fan (given, it's recent and TP was MVP level and Tim is beasting, so it's worse).

TDfan2007
04-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Positives: Timmy still looks great and has his explosion. His occasional flat jumpers seem to be form-based errors (forgetting his legs). We'll be playing the Rockets or Warriors in the 1st round, which is as good as you could hope for if you're the Spurs.

Negatives: Basically everything else involving this team... :depressed

dylankerouac
04-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Well a week can help Parker, and maybe he will get stronger during the first round. Hopefully the team can come together and buy us some victories and buy themselves and Tony more time.

TampaDude
04-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Heat and Thunder in the Finals.

Heat sweep.

You know it to be true.

letmk
04-14-2013, 11:26 PM

Exactly. If it's against Sefolosa or Barnes, it might be due to some mental thing. When it's against Blake, it simply means he is not physically ready.

DPG21920
Positives: Timmy still looks great and has his explosion. His occasional flat jumpers seem to be form-based errors (forgetting his legs). We'll be playing the Rockets or Warriors in the 1st round, which is as good as you could hope for if you're the Spurs.

Negatives: Basically everything else involving this team... :depressed

Curry/Harden with no Manu/Terrible TP is a nightmare. That is asking a ton of Tim and Kawhi.

Darius McCrary
Reality time guys. We will be lucky to get 4 total wins in the playoffs.

TJastal

That's what the mav fans said back in 2011. Oh wait...

SenorSpur
This loss bothers me for many of the reasons already stated. If anyone thinks that it's a given that the Spurs get out of the first round, think again. Houston will be a very tough out. Regardless of the injury factor, I feel bad for Duncan, who is having a fantastic season that is being wasted.

team-work
Watching the Spurs in recent weeks, the embarrasing ouster in the 2011 playoffs keep coming up in my mind.

Of course, I always hope history will not repeat itself until the final moment.

TheGoldStandard
04-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Tony will be fine... I understand the worry but i mean.. its the spurs.. We are locked in at 2 even if we win the rest of our games, or even if we lose the rest.. TP just taking it easy because he, pop, and everyone knows there is no point what so ever to even really try right now

Way to be optamistic but TP is not fine and he's not coasting, he looked like crap against Steve Blake. If you are coasting you put up 15 and call it a day on the bench but he was turnover prone, slow and not into it. Maybe he's reverted into the cowardace nature that he does when someone is patroling the paint or maybe he's physically broken, whatever the case is Timmy alone can't win a PO series.

DarrinS
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
It bothers me

DarrinS
04-14-2013, 11:30 PM
We just lost to a very shitty team

TD 21
This team is broken. I don't even think it matters who they get at this point, I can't imagine them beating anyone half decent four out of seven (or less). Besides, it's too tempting for them to get eliminated in the 1st round again.

Once more, a promising season will end in embarrassment. For sure, injuries played a significant role, but if they think it was the sole reason, then they've learned nothing. The organization needs significant changes, both in the way they do things and in personnel, if they're serious about having a legit shot to win another championship.

timtonymanu
With all the injuries/behind the scenes drama, I stopped caring about losses. Not the Spurs' fault. Injuries just took too much toll on everybody (expect Duncan). The only silver lining is that the West is pretty weak, but Parker and Manu not even close to 100% is definitely making things worrisome.

ElNono
He's lacking the explosion, but the jumper taking a shit isn't that easy to explain... to be frank, not the first time he has games like this one when facing not one but two shot blockers... Lakers did what they always do: pack the paint. We couldn't make a shot.

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
They were playing terrible before the Miami game actually...choking against the Rockets, unable to close games.

I already said this season was looking like 2011 all over again but everybody wanted to pretend the team was alright. You can't really call yourself a contender if you can't close games and this team has looked AWFUL in the last two minutes of every game for the past month.

Yep, it started around that time in March. It is looking like 011 all over again, fully. I think they might be able to squeak by Houston who is hot right now, but after that? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damn no. This team can't close games, you said it all there! BINGO. You are right, on another board I made a thread about the Spurs in the last minute or so in the game! They had one lucky shot from Tim against LAC and won that one, sides that no shots fall and no stops at all. This team is done.

Johnny RIngo
04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
The fact that we're closing games with Bonner on the court says all you need to know about how pathetic the team is and how much they've regressed.

TampaDude
04-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Win or lose this game, the way the Spurs played today will get them run out of the fucking gym against a team like Denver or OKC.

The HEAT will REPEAT!

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 11:34 PM
That's what the mav fans said back in 2011. Oh wait...

This team is not the Mavs team that year, DIrk was on FIRE and they had a cast that came together and health.. They got hot late, this team is floundering late and hurt.

Johnny RIngo
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Win or lose this game, the way the Spurs played today will get them run out of the fucking gym against a team like Denver or OKC.

The HEAT will REPEAT!

The Spurs never had a chance against the Heat or the Thunder anyway. Duncan's the only reliable star on this team and he's 37. Parker has been shook by the injuries and is playing like a faggot. Ginobili's played the lowest amount of minutes in his career and STILL picks up multiple injuries.

TDfan2007
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Curry/Harden with no Manu/Terrible TP is a nightmare. That is asking a ton of Tim and Kawhi.

Tbh I'd prefer that over getting abused by Gasol and Howard. At least against those two teams the whole Blair/bonner thing won't be so disasterous.

Also, if Parker is really that banged up, then the Spurs aren't going to beat any team they play in the first round, since Kawhi is still green and Timmy can't play 40 mpg anymore.

chazley
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Good thing Timmy looks 28, because he's gonna be carrying us in the first round. The bigger question becomes, if Tony is able to have 2-3 weeks before start of round 2, can he be back to 100% while still playing minutes? I'm not so sure, but wouldn't count it out.

Budkin
04-14-2013, 11:51 PM
F*ck this season, I'm sorry but if you thought 2011 had a bad ending this year might be worse.

No way it can be worse than losing decisively to the 8th seed.

Man In Black
04-14-2013, 11:51 PM
I actually think Pop used the 4th quarter as a teaching tool. He didn't care about the win or loss, just the practice of those other guys not the Big 3, to feel real high stake game pressure but with a result that doesn't really change anything for his team win our lose. Those other guys failed more than succeeded but when your team mvp shoots like that, it's tough to. TP played soft and was disengaged. WCF is what I expect, if they find themselves, in this watered down playoffs, they have as good a chance as any barring injury.

Robz4000
04-14-2013, 11:57 PM
No way it can be worse than losing decisively to the 8th seed.

That 8 seed wasn't a true 8 seed. If the Spurs find themselves eliminated in the first round again this year, it'll be by one of the worst 7/8 seeds in years. That'll be far more embarrassing.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I actually think Pop used the 4th quarter as a teaching tool. He didn't care about the win or loss, just the practice of those other guys not the Big 3, to feel real high stake game pressure but with a result that doesn't really change anything for his team win our lose. Those other guys failed more than succeeded but when your team mvp shoots like that, it's tough to. TP played soft and was disengaged. WCF is what I expect, if they find themselves, in this watered down playoffs, they have as good a chance as any barring injury.

Barring injury? They are already injured...... There is no barring anymore, sorry.

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
No offence, but that 3rd seed is looking very enticing for the Nuggs/Clips/Grizz (assuming the teams get out of the first round)

The Spurs just aren't themselves right now. I wanted the Nuggs to avoid them initially coz the Thunder looked more beatable early on, but things have sure changed. The Spurs will always be a tough out, but the injuries are killing them.

Could be a moot point coz there are no guarantees in the 1st round.

All the best Spiurs, I hope you get overcome these injuries and make a run in the playoffs (unless its against my Nuggets of course hehe) :thumbsup :toast

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Tbh, even with as bad as the Spurs look, the Grizz just do not scare me anymore. They have a shitty offense and once the Spurs key in on Bayless and their other scrubs that seem to carry them, I think they'll get it done in 6. The Nuggets and now potentially the Clippers are another story.

Baseline
04-15-2013, 12:24 AM

This loss doesn't bother me that much either, because I kind of expected us to kind of coast and lose it. When I saw Parker at 60% speed, it kind of made sense...like Parker was using this game to cruise around and find some rhythm, and maybe see if he could get a burst when necessary. But a few times it looked like he was trying to hit hyper-speed and that gear just wasn't there for him. If he's really that hurt, it really makes you wonder why he was out there.

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Tbh, even with as bad as the Spurs look, the Grizz just do not scare me anymore. They have a shitty offense and once the Spurs key in on Bayless and their other scrubs that seem to carry them, I think they'll get it done in 6. The Nuggets and now potentially the Clippers are another story.
The best case scenario for the Spurs at this point is to win their first series quick and have some rest while the 3-6 matchup goes 7 games

TJastal
04-15-2013, 12:32 AM
This team is not the Mavs team that year, DIrk was on FIRE and they had a cast that came together and health.. They got hot late, this team is floundering late and hurt.
Substitute Duncan for Dirk and if Manu & Parker can provide get healthy enough to provide solid support there's your 2011 mavs.

Man In Black
04-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Barring injury? They are already injured...... There is no barring anymore, sorry.
Smartphone spell check took out the word setback. I think they are pretty close to healthy as they can be at this time. If either Manu or TP have setbacks, that is the end. If they can play and produce as expected, then what I say is as valid a concept as any other.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 12:34 AM
The best case scenario for the Spurs at this point is to win their first series quick and have some rest while the 3-6 matchup goes 7 games

+1

Here's to hoping the spurs can draw the rockets in 1st round... should be sweep or 4-1.

Mugen
04-15-2013, 12:35 AM

A 6 game first round wouldn't be the worst thing in the world tbh. Some extra games for TP/Manu to get back to form and additional time for Boris to be ready for the 2nd round.

People underestimate the loss of Diaw tbh. .

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Substitute Duncan for Dirk and if Manu & Parker can provide get healthy enough to provide solid support there's your 2011 mavs.

Where is our D Center like Chandler? NOT SOFT ASS SPLINTER!!!!!!!!!!! Where is our backup SF? We have none.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 12:38 AM
A 6 game first round wouldn't be the worst thing in the world tbh. Some extra games for TP/Manu to get back to form and additional time for Boris to be ready for the 2nd round.

People underestimate the loss of Diaw tbh. .

It's only significant because Pop refused to integrate Baynes into the rotation.

HI-FI
04-15-2013, 12:43 AM
This loss botherrs me quite a bit.

You know shit ain't right when you're thinking during the game "we should let Duncan leave and go to a contender". I hate when I have those thoughts but I hate seeing him beasting out there and everyone else either injured or being soft.

I thought we were at least good for the second round but now I'm not so sure.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Where is our D Center like Chandler? NOT SOFT ASS SPLINTER!!!!!!!!!!! Where is our backup SF? We have none.

"Splinter" may not be a DPOY but he's not swiss cheese either. Duncan is however playing at DPOY levels. And the mavs got by playing Deshawn Stephenson at the backup 3.. even though 50 year old Jason Kidd guarded Lebron for much of that series IIRC. So give your crybaby act a rest already.

UZER
04-15-2013, 01:09 AM
I actually think Pop used the 4th quarter as a teaching tool.....

:lol teaching tool this late in the season. And if he didn't care about the win or loss, why did he keep Duncan in, going to him every time down the stretch late in the 4th?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-15-2013, 01:09 AM
I think we're cooked - peaked about game 65-70 and been downhill ever since. Such a pity as Timmy has been incredible all year, and for much of the year we looked like we could win the West.

Cross your fingers and hope the team finds its form in the 1st round. :oops

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:17 AM
"Splinter" may not be a DPOY but he's not swiss cheese either. Duncan is however playing at DPOY levels. And the mavs got by playing Deshawn Stephenson at the backup 3.. even though 50 year old Jason Kidd guarded Lebron for much of that series IIRC. So give your crybaby act a rest already.

We are not winning a title this year you delusional fool. Keep up the drinking though, you are either drunk or high thinking this is the 011 Mavs and are going to win a title. I won't say another word to you on this though, it seems you are one of the Spurs will be fine dudes now who is high or stuck in the clouds.

BTW SPLITTER IS SOFT as BURGER BUNS.

:lol teaching tool this late in the season. And if he didn't care about the win or loss, why did he keep Duncan in, going to him every time down the stretch late in the 4th?

LOL another guy like him man, teaching tool this late in the year, one of the SPURS will be fine type of fools. This game may have woke us up! Hope it teaches us a lesson! Some Spurs fans are just flat out delusional man, seriuosly. This team is done, if they make it to round two cool! Then we go from there. They are not near a title team though, some need to give that notion up now, this is far from a title team.

team-work
04-15-2013, 01:25 AM
The most frustrating thing is that even meticulous management of minutes does not guarantee they are healthy, while not doing so guarantees poor health down the stretch.

mytespurs
04-15-2013, 01:28 AM

Thanks timvp as usual from keeping some of us from jumping off the ledge after this loss :downspin:......my .01...not surprised the Lakers won considering Kobe's injury/immediate emotional momentum to keep things going when the main guy goes down though that will only goes so far before reality sets in.....what concerns me has been the spurs inconsistent play down the stretch due to injuries, etc.....while I'm excited the Spurs will finish near the top again, I don't have much faith/confidence of them getting out of the WC....and I thought this is even before tonight's loss....right now I see a Heat repeat in 6 NBA finals.

mytespurs
04-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Duncan seems reborn while the rest of the team.......:wow

benstanfield
04-15-2013, 01:30 AM
It bothers me that we have 7 guards and Matt Bonner is our backup SF

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks timvp as usual from keeping some of us from jumping off the ledge after this loss :downspin:......my .01...not surprised the Lakers won considering Kobe's injury/immediate emotional momentum to keep things going when the main guy goes down though that will only goes so far before reality sets in.....what concerns me has been the spurs inconsistent play down the stretch due to injuries, etc.....while I'm excited the Spurs will finish near the top again, I don't have much faith/confidence of them getting out of the WC....and I thought this is even before tonight's loss....right now I see a Heat repeat in 6 NBA finals.
Heat are going to win anyways in the Finals this year! But I want us to get outta the first round atleast! Good lord 58 wins, you would figure we have to make it out of the first round! I would hope.
It bothers me that we have 7 guards and Matt Bonner is our backup SF

Oh yeah, this too.

Hoops Czar
04-15-2013, 01:52 AM
What a bunch of groupies. It's all about TP. Forget the fact that Splitter looks like a shit sandwich without Ginobili out there making him look good and D-league De crapo continues to prove his worthlessness on the court. That's now 6 straight losses on the road and this time, to a team playing without its starting point guard and best all around player. Somebody should tell Pop that the hack-a-Dwight only works when you can score friggin points. It doesn't help the team when you're constantly losing a point on each possession. What a sorry looking offense.

Chomag
04-15-2013, 01:53 AM
This team is just soft period.

Johnny RIngo
04-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Spurs are done unfortunately. Wouldn't be surprised if Warriors/Rockets knock us out in five/six games,

HarlemHeat37
04-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Spurs are done unfortunately. Wouldn't be surprised if Warriors/Rockets knock us out in five/six games,

Warriors have been a below .500 team in 2013..they aren't a legit playoff team, tbh..even with their struggles, Pop/Duncan/Parker/Manu should all retire if they lose to the Warriors in a series..

Man In Black
04-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Simple, it gave those guys a leader to focus on. Let's assume this was a playoff game, is CJ in there with the game on the line If he is really trying to win? TP would be in there. Spurs don't move up or down, win or lose. It's a good time to run a simulation. They play too structured at times. They miss Manu's playmaking abilities. If TP didn't attack, except for Tim, no one else attacked the rim. Even Kawhi was passive.
This team was never the favorite going in. History is littered with teams that seem invincible but failed to win a title. For as bad as some of you BAMA cliff jumpers feel, as of Wednesday, there will be only 16 teams with a shot at the LOB. Perhaps the Spurs that were clicking earlier will return. Who knows? I want 1 for the thumb but it ain't coming unless these players execute and minimize mistakes. They do that... then they can best anybody.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-15-2013, 02:18 AM
What I don't get is that with a rash of injuries earlier in the season the complimentary players came in, ran the system to perfection, and we kept on winning, even pulling out improbable wins like the one in Chicago. But right now we can't even run a play without screwing it up. Peaked too early again like the 2011 I guess.

Sad, because the way we were playing in Feb and much of March, I thought we'd make it to the Finals. Right now we'll be lucky to make the 2nd rd. :depressed

Arcadian
04-15-2013, 02:29 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm still excited for the playoffs. We should have a relatively easy matchup in Golden State, and maybe by the end of that series we will have some health and momentum back. The Spurs (especially Tim) typically step up their game when the playoffs arrive. I would've liked to see some momentum going in, but it seems like they're just coasting into the #2 seed. I don't think this will end like 2011. This team has a run left in them.

Johnny RIngo
04-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Warriors have been a below .500 team in 2013..they aren't a legit playoff team, tbh..even with their struggles, Pop/Duncan/Parker/Manu should all retire if they lose to the Warriors in a series..

Warriors are terrible - that much is true. If there's any team I want for a first round opponent, it's them. But Spurs are scary bad right now. Everybody but Tim Duncan is playing like a D-Leaguer.

HarlemHeat37
04-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Warriors are terrible - that much is true. If there's any team I want for a first round opponent, it's them. But Spurs are scary bad right now. Everybody but Tim Duncan is playing like a D-Leaguer.

Fully agreed, but the Spurs need the easiest possible matchup at the moment, they'll need to build rhythm confidence if they are going anywhere in the playoffs, tbh..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I'm calling it now: we will lose the first game of the 1st rd like 2003 (the Stoudamire 3 to send it to OT/Marbury banked 3 in OT game - which I watched in Bozeman, Montana of all places), then that will galvaise the team into hard-arsed ballin and we'll run through the rest of the playoffs like stormsurge through an arroyo... I hope. ;)

baseline bum
04-15-2013, 03:04 AM
I'm calling it now: we will lose the first game of the 1st rd like 2003 (the Stoudamire 3 to send it to OT/Marbury banked 3 in OT game - which I watched in Bozeman, Montana of all places), then that will galvaise the team into hard-arsed ballin and we'll run through the rest of the playoffs like stormsurge through an arroyo... I hope. ;)

I agree with the first part, but maybe they lose the second game too.

j/k, fucking Houston or Golden State? LOL. But Denver could very well wax that ass nasty in the second round. McGee seems to look like Bill Russell every time he sees our boys.

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Splitter did a masterful job on Pau on the defensive end and had a great day on the boards. Pop should have stuck with him late.

John B
04-15-2013, 06:35 AM
This

John B
04-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Kawhi needed to be more assertive and ask for the ball. Without TP scoring, he should know that more of the scoring should be coming from him. He needs to drive it to the hole and pick-up fouls instead of shooting only jumpers. Eventually he needs a postup game so he can play some iso and let the offense flow from him. Being the future star of the team he needs to realize when he needs to carry the team. That's the difference with an all-star player.

TampaDude
04-15-2013, 08:38 AM
CIA Pop, tbh...use the Lakers to wear down OKC and take an easier path to the WCF. We're locked into the 2 seed, anyway.

Dex
04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Parker's play last night was all a ploy; the latest C.I.A. Pop tactic.

He surely instructed Parker to run at half speed, jump at half strength, and purposefully miss all of his shots.

This will help to put the Spurs back under the radar and lull the other Western teams into a false sense of security, then BAM....first round, Parker shows up full strength and in his final form (with a power level over 9000), along with a cybernetically-enhanced Ginobili.

Perfect plan, Pop. Perfect.

cd021
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Parker's injury has destroyed the Spurs offense, unfortunately, and they haven't recovered..

I was hopeful they would find their rhythm once Tony got healthy, but it doesn't appear that he's going to be even 80% for the playoffs..

If Parker is playing at just an above average level, which has been the case since his return, the Spurs have Duncan(star) and a bunch of role players, especially since Leonard hasn't been utilized properly by Pop..

You couldn't possibly blame Leonard perforance last night on Pop? He looked timid with the basketball and

SenorSpur
04-15-2013, 09:17 AM
This team is broken. I don't even think it matters who they get at this point, I can't imagine them beating anyone half decent four out of seven (or less). Besides, it's too tempting for them to get eliminated in the 1st round again.

Once more, a promising season will end in embarrassment. For sure, injuries played a significant role, but if they think it was the sole reason, then they've learned nothing. The organization needs significant changes, both in the way they do things and in personnel, if they're serious about having a legit shot to win another championship.

Totally agree. :tu

At this point, I've moved on from any potential playoff matchups because the reality is this team isn't going very far as presently constituted. As a matter of fact, I'm already looking to the offseason as to just HOW this team can get better. There's no doubt that this organization needs to rethink their player evaluation process. Their is a significant lack aggression, a lack toughness and of course a significant lack of athleticism with this roster. It's a fact that older players get injured more often, which means the Spurs have not done enough to get younger. I'm all for having smart players, but the Spurs are being routinely being dusted by the top contenders in the league because they have better players. There's no doubt that a semi-overhaul needs to take place. It should be an interesting summer.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 09:43 AM

At this point, I've moved on from any potential playoff matchups because the reality is this team isn't going very far as presently constituted. As a matter of fact, I'm already looking to the offseason as to just HOW this team can get better. There's no doubt that this organization needs to rethink their player evaluation process. Their is a significant lack aggression, a lack toughness and of course a significant lack of athleticism with this roster. It's a fact that older players get injured more often, which means the Spurs have not done enough to getdd younger. I'm all for having smart players, but the Spurs are being routinely being dusted by the top contenders in the league because they have better players. There's no doubt that a semi-overhaul needs to take place. It should be an interesting summer.

This team honestly needed no overhaul, just better coaching and player management.
Such as adding Baynes to the rotation 50+games ago and removing the turds from the rotation and/or removing them from the team altogether would have helped shore up most of the size/athleticism issues. Along with playing Leonard more minutes and Jack less (which is finally happening). Settling on a backup point earlier in the season rather than dragging this point guard by commitee circus into the final week of the season would have also settled the rotation and probably helped circumvent the injuries somewhat.

You know, things that any sensible coach would do.

elec99
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
no, I think you need the lakers to make the POs as opposed to embarrassing them into not making it. You want a banged up OKC, before they meet the grizz/clipps, and then the 3rd round. And if the lakers can play like this in a 7 game series against okc then all the better. The biggest concern that has been echoed here is parker's health. I didnt see the game against the kings but his numbers returned but from what I'm reading he didn't exactly look good.
I dont really care about the final two games other than preferring to:

1. retain the 2 seed, and
2. meeting the warriors in the 1st round

There's the need to get guys back into rhythm by playing them but after what we saw last night I'd choose the rest.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Rest is good. Splitter especially. If I was Pop the last 2 games would feature alot of Aron Baynes... obviously its too late to get him properly adjusted but he could still contribute spot minutes once the spurs have Diaw back and have gutted their way through the 1st round.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Spurs may need to go in a different direction this summer. I honestly think the Bucks can push them to 7 games right now let alone the Rockets/Warriors.

Never has there been a time where as a Spurs fan you dread the playoffs but outside of Duncan there is not one silver lining I can find about this team right now. Everyone is crapping the bed at the same time.

elec99
04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I also remember that a 20 game win streak into the POs doesn't guarantee anything either.
Just play hard enough to ensure GSW stays at 7, and the final game against the wolves doesnt mean anything.

rmt
04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
I also remember that a 20 game win streak into the POs doesn't guarantee anything either.
Just play hard enough to ensure GSW stays at 7, and the final game against the wolves doesnt mean anything.

I'd rather they tank against GSW and guarantee that Lakers don't climb to that #7 spot. HOU at #7 is better than LAL.

elec99
04-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I'd rather they tank against GSW and guarantee that Lakers don't climb to that #7 spot. HOU at #7 is better than LAL.

You beat me to it! if GSW loses their remaining 2 games, and LAL wins their final game they tie, but LAL owns the tie breaker which pushes them to 7.
I guess that means it's shut down mode for the spurs until saturday or sunday.

SA210
04-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Total organization and team collapse, probably the worst I have ever seen in the Duncan era.

It's starts at the top, tbh.

Spur|n|Austin
04-15-2013, 11:07 AM
It's funny to read some of the comments of the posters which have changed from last night to today.

rascal
04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Heat are going to win anyways in the Finals this year! But I want us to get outta the first round atleast! Good lord 58 wins, you would figure we have to make it out of the first round! I would hope.

Oh yeah, this too.

First round will be easy. The Warriors likely as the easiest possible matchup.

rascal
04-15-2013, 11:23 AM
This team was never championship caliber. It has had a history the last couple of years of being a great regular season team but is not built for playoff success. Health is an excuse because even healthy this team would not be getting out of the west. It is too soft and undersized on the frontline and those issues are still not fixed.

The only way they got to the WCF last year was lucky weak matchups, the first tough team they faced the last two years they go down. It is the same roster as last year.

pad300
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Spurs may need to go in a different direction this summer. I honestly think the Bucks can push them to 7 games right now let alone the Rockets/Warriors.

Given how we've played against the Bucks in the Duncan Era, I'd say the bucks would have a 50-50 shot at the 03, 05 and 07 teams in a 7 game series...

phxspurfan
04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah Parker looks broken (again).

superjames1992
04-15-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm still excited for the playoffs. We should have a relatively easy matchup in Golden State, and maybe by the end of that series we will have some health and momentum back. The Spurs (especially Tim) typically step up their game when the playoffs arrive. I would've liked to see some momentum going in, but it seems like they're just coasting into the #2 seed. I don't think this will end like 2011. This team has a run left in them.
+1000000000000.

I've been ready for the regular season to end for months and I'm definitely pumped for the playoffs. Yeah, we're stumbling in, but we should beat the Warriors and that should give us some momentum going into our second round matchup. I'm not that worried.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
First round will be easy. The Warriors likely as the easiest possible matchup.

So you would hope so. They need to find a bigtime rhythm in round one and get ready for round two, hopefully round one goes 5 or 6 so they can find something.

rascal
04-15-2013, 01:47 PM
+1000000000000.

I've been ready for the regular season to end for months and I'm definitely pumped for the playoffs. Yeah, we're stumbling in, but we should beat the Warriors and that should give us some momentum going into our second round matchup. I'm not that worried.
No such thing as momemtum. The Spurs won 20 in a row last year, what happened with momentum there? An easy first round matchup does nothing if the team wins playing poorly. I expect the Spurs to go as far as the first tough healthy opponent they face. That is this current team's history. Same roster, I expect the same results- first tough challenge they fold.

TD 21
04-15-2013, 05:57 PM

At this point, I've moved on from any potential playoff matchups because the reality is this team isn't going very far as presently constituted. As a matter of fact, I'm already looking to the offseason as to just HOW this team can get better. There's no doubt that this organization needs to rethink their player evaluation process. Their is a significant lack aggression, a lack toughness and of course a significant lack of athleticism with this roster. It's a fact that older players get injured more often, which means the Spurs have not done enough to get younger. I'm all for having smart players, but the Spurs are being routinely being dusted by the top contenders in the league because they have better players. There's no doubt that a semi-overhaul needs to take place. It should be an interesting summer.

I started thinking about the off season at least a few weeks ago, when it became apparent to me that they were headed for another embarrassing, pathetic collapse, to end their season.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I also think they need to take a look in the mirror at how they do things. What good has the constant babying (don't confuse this with my saying he should be running them into the ground or that they should play through legitimate injury in relatively meaningless regular season games; there's a medium) done this team in recent years? The season ends the same way every time, with them banged up anyway and their top players generally not in good enough shape to log the type of minutes they inevitably do once their backs are up against the wall in the playoffs. In general, the team lacks confidence, as well as both mental and physical toughness and I think part of the reason for that is because of the culture that's been fostered by the organization (particularly the coach) in recent years.

Johnny RIngo
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Funny thing is the West is so bad this year I could see the Spurs making the Conference Finals...seeing as their opponents are likely going to be GS/Houston/Denver. What a joke. Thunder would smash SA as soon as they meet up though...which is sad because they don't even have Harden this year.

therealtruth
04-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I started thinking about the off season at least a few weeks ago, when it became apparent to me that they were headed for another embarrassing, pathetic collapse, to end their season.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I also think they need to take a look in the mirror at how they do things. What good has the constant babying (don't confuse this with my saying he should be running them into the ground or that they should play through legitimate injury in relatively meaningless regular season games; there's a medium) done this team in recent years? The season ends the same way every time, with them banged up anyway and their top players generally not in good enough shape to log the type of minutes they inevitably do once their backs are up against the wall in the playoffs. In general, the team lacks confidence, as well as both mental and physical toughness and I think part of the reason for that is because of the culture that's been fostered by the organization (particularly the coach) in recent years.

I agree. The team lacks the mental toughness and Pop says as much but continues to baby them. How can they have it if he doesn't have it himself? Winning a championship is hard work. It's not taking the season off and then just showing up healthy for the playoffs.

skulls138
04-15-2013, 06:47 PM
So true but actually I think we can lump this loss with the loss to the Heat. People complain that the Spurs dont get enough respect but then we lose to the very teams that take the share of respect they should get. Pisses me off.

SenorSpur
04-15-2013, 10:08 PM

For a team that has older veterans, I certainly understand the need to prioritize health. Yet, I always felt there was something uncomfortable about the manner in which Pop so routinely "tanked" games for the big picture. Other championship teams, in previous years, never did it so blatantly. Back when the Big Three were much younger, and the Spurs were legitimate championnship threats, it's no secret that the coaching staff didn't feel the need to "baby" them, as you put it. However the irony is the core players still got their share of rest because if you're blowing teams out, and they did have their share of blowouts because they were an elite team, the starters were usually pulled in the second half anyway.

I agree with what you've stated. I wonder if Pop will start to rethink his strategy and begin to foster a culture change. That also includes the type of players he selects for the roster. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Pop wants a more stout defensive-oriented team, he's going to need better skilled, more athletic-type players to fill out the roster. If he wants to rest his older players, he's going to need younger players, who can begin their ascent into becoming the next core group of this team. Outside of Leonard, I don't see another young player who fits that description.

team-work
04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
While the extra rest does not guarantee the core group is healthy at the end of the marathon, it almost undoubtedly helps prolong Timmy's career and his resurgence. So I am not sure what to ask for, whether to rest them routinely or to play them to the maximum.

Robz4000
04-16-2013, 12:09 AM
:lmao this loss bothers me now. We're getting these fucks in round one and the Grizz may land the 3 seed. So much for an easy bracket.

Sean Cagney
04-16-2013, 12:17 AM
This team was never championship caliber. It has had a history the last couple of years of being a great regular season team but is not built for playoff success. Health is an excuse because even healthy this team would not be getting out of the west. It is too soft and undersized on the frontline and those issues are still not fixed.

The only way they got to the WCF last year was lucky weak matchups, the first tough team they faced the last two years they go down. It is the same roster as last year.

Last year they were on a roll and healthy though, so last year was better IMO...
:lmao this loss bothers me now. We're getting these fucks in round one and the Grizz may land the 3 seed. So much for an easy bracket.

Never was going to be an easy bracket! NEVER. There is no easy bracket as bad as the SPURS are playing.

Robz4000
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
If the Spurs got Golden State then the winner of Houston/hobbled Denver they'd prolly get to the WCF. Prolly won't now.

Reck
04-16-2013, 12:27 AM
What happened to your quick thoughts thread Timvp? Cant find the time to bother with that either? :lol

its no wonder why every team wants to tank to draw the Spurs, this team is atrocious.

SA210
04-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Starts at the top

Hoops Czar
04-16-2013, 01:18 AM
What happened to your quick thoughts thread Timvp? Cant find the time to bother with that either? :lol

Sore neck

Hoops Czar
04-16-2013, 01:27 AM
While the extra rest does not guarantee the core group is healthy at the end of the marathon, it almost undoubtedly helps prolong Timmy's career and his resurgence. So I am not sure what to ask for, whether to rest them routinely or to play them to the maximum.

How are those stupid pills working out for you? Resting Duncan two games is going to prolong his career and resurgence? If you say so. But what the team really needs is to start playing like a team and not like a bunch of collective induals trying to their best demonstrtion of hero ball. You don't build team unity and cohesion from the bench.

therealtruth
04-16-2013, 03:59 AM
For a team that has older veterans, I certainly understand the need to prioritize health. Yet, I always felt there was something uncomfortable about the manner in which Pop so routinely "tanked" games for the big picture. Other championship teams, in previous years, never did it so blatantly. Back when the Big Three were much younger, and the Spurs were legitimate championnship threats, it's no secret that the coaching staff didn't feel the need to "baby" them, as you put it. However the irony is the core players still got their share of rest because if you're blowing teams out, and they did have their share of blowouts because they were an elite team, the starters were usually pulled in the second half anyway.

I agree with what you've stated. I wonder if Pop will start to rethink his strategy and begin to foster a culture change. That also includes the type of players he selects for the roster. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Pop wants a more stout defensive-oriented team, he's going to need better skilled, more athletic-type players to fill out the roster. If he wants to rest his older players, he's going to need younger players, who can begin their ascent into becoming the next core group of this team. Outside of Leonard, I don't see another young player who fits that description.

I agree if Pop wants more rest start blowing out teams. At best you are reducing injury likelihood but you are really not doing anything for the playoffs. Pop's strategy carries over to the playoffs. When the team is down big Pop more often than not throws in the towel because he doesn't want to waste energy trying to win a game that might be a loss.

BillMc
04-16-2013, 06:00 AM
When the team is down big Pop more often than not throws in the towel because he doesn't want to waste energy trying to win a game that might be a loss.

Pop is like a poker player who plays the odds and often folds for the good of the big picture. He doesn't use up his money (i.e players in this analogy) when he doesn't have a likely winning hand.

Nero5
04-16-2013, 07:28 AM
you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to go buy a damn forward who can shoot, pass and rebound and be a tough nutt of defence

polandprzem
04-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Again - good regular season with bad ending. Right now with unknown, but what to expect when TP plays his worst in the season and does not look good. Gino is far from a level of a 6th man and still injured. And our frontcourt guy from a base rotation is also injured.
Plus the spurs have not played on the highest level since month and more. And the bar in the playoffs is even higher.

TD is not enough

jjktkk
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Starts at the top

How? Who ordered injuries to Manu, Tp, Diaw, etc...? RC, Pop?

team-work
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
How are those stupid pills working out for you? Resting Duncan two games is going to prolong his career and resurgence? If you say so. But what the team really needs is to start playing like a team and not like a bunch of collective induals trying to their best demonstrtion of hero ball. You don't build team unity and cohesion from the bench.

Of course I don't mean resting Duncan for 2 games will do the wonder. Instead I was referring to the season-long management of his minutes, which plays a role in his performance we enjoyed watching for the majority of the RS. For other veterans the effect may not be so drastic. Sadly, the strategy does not guarantee they are healthy at a specific point of the season, ie the beginning of then POs.

I do agree with the latter part of your argument, though.

SA210
04-16-2013, 12:08 PM
How? Who ordered injuries to Manu, Tp, Diaw, etc...? RC, Pop?

Coach can't keep his team motivated. Coach puts grudges before team goals (SJax), Resting players never worked, Shitty lineups, No backup point guard set. The coach is an egotistical, senile, maniac who once was great and then he became too full of himself while pretending that's the problem with everyone else. The coach is soft. It starts with him.

jjktkk
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Coach can't keep his team motivated. Coach puts grudges before team goals (SJax)

I find it odd that Pop would hold a "grudge" against SJAX, considering he traded for him. Do you have a inside source on this "grudge"?

Resting players never worked, Shitty lineups, No backup point guard set. The coach is an egotistical, senile, maniac who once was great and then he became too full of himself while pretending that's the problem with everyone else. The coach is soft. It starts with him.

Did you have this opinion before or after all of the team's injuries? I can't recall you sharing this take, when the Spurs were rolling, and Tp was a strong MVP candidate, prior to his injuries.

superjames1992
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Coach can't keep his team motivated. Coach puts grudges before team goals (SJax), Resting players never worked, Shitty lineups, No backup point guard set. The coach is an egotistical, senile, maniac who once was great and then he became too full of himself while pretending that's the problem with everyone else. The coach is soft. It starts with him.

:lol Worst post of the year award, tbh. Calling Pop a senile maniac should get you pinked, tbh, per par. :lol

SA210
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
I find it odd that Pop would hold a "grudge" against SJAX, considering he traded for him. Do you have a inside source on this "grudge"?

Did you have this opinion before or after all of the team's injuries? I can't recall you sharing this take, when the Spurs were rolling, and Tp was a strong MVP candidate, prior to his injuries.

SJax complaining is enough to get on Pop's bad-side, Pop let it get in the way of Playoff goals by cutting him, thereby losing our much needed gangster mentality against OKC, and whomever else we play and making us softer than we already were. We all know Pop gets personal. And yea, my opinion has been this way always, you know kinda like last year when we were healthy and I talked about this same stuff, and you were still sucking Pop's cock. Yea, that time.

SA210
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
:lol Worst post of the year award, tbh. Calling Pop a senile maniac should get you pinked, tbh, per par. :lol

I should get Most honest of the year, tbh. Truth hurts. :lol

Bruno
04-16-2013, 01:29 PM
To explain his crappy game against Lakers, Parker said yesterday in his radio show that he was just in a horrible shooting day where he couldn't hit shots that he usually always hit. He said that he hasn't shot that bad the ball in the last 4-5 years.

While it's possible that Parker is hidding some physical issues, it's somewhat reassuring that he didn't put his struggles on that.

jjktkk
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
SJax complaining is enough to get on Pop's bad-side, Pop let it get in the way of Playoff goals by cutting him, thereby losing our much needed gangster mentality against OKC, and whomever else we play and making us softer than we already were. We all know Pop gets personal. And yea, my opinion has been this way always, you know kinda like last year when we were healthy and I talked about this same stuff, and you were still sucking Pop's cock. Yea, that time.

Unless you enjoyy sucking cock yourself, why do get all homophobe, when I questioned your shitty take?

SA210
04-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Unless you enjoyy sucking cock yourself, why do get all homophobe, when I questioned your shitty take?

It's a factual take, that's why you are now hurt and changing the subject.

jjktkk
04-16-2013, 02:22 PM
It's a factual take, that's why you are now hurt and changing the subject.

Link? Please explain why your shitty takes are "factual"?

SA210
04-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Link? Please explain why your shitty takes are "factual"?

There is a forum full of factual proof of your shitty takes, and Pop's softness and personal grudges. :tu

Amuseddaysleeper
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
To explain his crappy game against Lakers, Parker said yesterday in his radio show that he was just in a horrible shooting day where he couldn't hit shots that he usually always hit. He said that he hasn't shot that bad the ball in the last 4-5 years.

While it's possible that Parker is hidding some physical issues, it's somewhat reassuring that he didn't put his struggles on that.

Did Parker say anything else about the team's mental state or how he feels about the Spurs heading into the playoffs?

One thing I love about TP is that he is brutally honest.

Budkin
04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Did Parker say anything else about the team's mental state or how he feels about the Spurs heading into the playoffs?

"Definlee, definlee."

Bruno
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM

He didn't really speak about the team's mindset but he sounded really focused and he said that he was eager to start the playoffs.

Something that surprised me is how he categorically refused to say a single about Jackson being fired. My guess is that he hasn't at all appreciated Jackson selfishness while he has made "sacrifices" over the year for Spurs.

Diaw was also invited in the show and said that the surgery went really well but he needed some times of to recover from the cut and opening created by the surgery. He said he would miss the full first round but also said he would still be out for about 2 weeks if his rehab goes well. If he came back in 2 weeks, it would make him available for a potential game 6 or 7 in the first round.

TJastal
04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

As should being an annoying Pop homer.

jjktkk
04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
There is a forum full of factual proof of your shitty takes, and Pop's softness and personal grudges. :tu

Is this factual, or a random thought again? Cmon, post some of these facts.

SA210
04-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Is this factual, or a random thought again? Cmon, post some of these facts.

You have shitty takes? lol

superjames1992
04-16-2013, 03:59 PM
As should being an annoying Pop homer.
At least my bro has four rings, tbh.

Yeah, he has a bit of a love affair with our Hero, but he's still the best coach in the NBA, per par. If only we could fix his Gary Neal at Point Guard Syndrome, we'd be set.

therealtruth
04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Pop is like a poker player who plays the odds and often folds for the good of the big picture. He doesn't use up his money (i.e players in this analogy) when he doesn't have a likely winning hand.

It seems like a sound strategy on the surface but psychology factors so much into it. Winning game 3 basically guarantees you win a playoff series. By giving the Thunder such an easy victory he gave them enough confidence to know they could win the series. Maybe against a team that isn't that good and you can get away with that but not against a team that is that good and there is less margin for error.