PDA

View Full Version : Let Me tell You Why The Spurs Won't Win It all

Jahivah
04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
The same reason why they have not won these past few years: Rebounding and Defense.
Spurs are a horrible rebounding team and it makes me sick. We give away too many extra possessions. Even when we played decent defense tonight we cannot buy a rebound.
Not to add that the bench lacks punch. Gary Neal seems to be regressing, Matt Bonner has always been a one trick pony, Pop shot's Dejuan's confidence to hell and De Colo is just not NBA ready. We have no backup point guard and Timmy is having to dominate on both ends of the court. I have swallowed the reality that this team is just not NBA championship caliber.
At least Jack's horrible contract comes off the book, maybe we can Move Many and start rebuilding this team.

Just stating the facts as they are........

Brunodf
04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Health>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything

spurraider21
04-14-2013, 11:01 PM

Parker looked slower than Steve Blake most of the night. Bench is absolutely lost without Manu/Diaw there to facilitate

SpursRock20
04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Spurs fans here suck, tbh. How can the vast majority give up on a team that has had a very difficult stretch of games against quality opponents without being fully healthy. Ginobili has been gone and Parker has yet to regain his rhythm. The playoffs haven't even started yet people. Relax

TheGoldStandard
04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Aside from Tim we have two "bigs" who are undersized and can't rebound and then we have Tiago who's timid and weak who looks to the refs for a call but this isn't the euro league. Bonner shits the bed when it matters and DeJuan Blair is crap, not a confidence issue, he just sucks period. He'll shoot stupid jumpers that he can't make and gives up way too much size. Our role players who are just 3 point shooters nothing else can't hit open shots when it matters and they are always out of position on defense.

Frankly this team will need to be gutted unless Manu and TP return to form to carry this team along with Tim in the playoffs.

DejuanorwhatDude
04-14-2013, 11:03 PM
The playoffs start in six days and the team looks awful. I think theres plenty to be worried about.

BatManu20
04-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Or how about cause we just don't have the talent anymore? And we're too old.. Yea, that old schtick has finally caught up to us. This team needs an over haul with some actual talent. Pop's an incredible coach, but you can only do so much with a bunch of average bench players. And no good FA is going to sign with San Antonio, so it all starts and ends with the draft for us. Sad to watch Timmy go out like this though.

Laredoart
04-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Once again, my only hope of having any interior presence is that maybe and just maybe, Pop is holding Baynes back for the playoff. I think he could have help tonight, tonight it was the night to see where Baynes stands. Oh well, we aint doing nothing in the playoffs, we need to trade and get a young big that can dominate rebounds and can block.

Leetonidas
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
No one is beating Miami anyway, it's not like our ceiling was more than getting beat in 6 games in the Finals

Laredoart
04-14-2013, 11:24 PM
And no good FA is going to sign with San Antonio, so it all starts and ends with the draft for us. Sad to watch Timmy go out like this though.

I believe we can start by trading. Actually is our only option, unless they decide to throw away a full season.

I would definally let TP go, I mean, his value is not going to be greater than this season. And I believe his going to start getting hurt more often. Players like Manu and TP get hurt more and more often beacuse their game is about throwing their bodies around, and they dont give their bodies any rest, theyre always playing, either for their national team or the spurs. We need to let TP go this off season, before he gets to the point where his going to take a spot in the roster and salary cap room, without playing, just like Manu this year. I mean, I understand players are going to get hurt, but not 4 or 6 times a season.

TampaDude
04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
The reason the Spurs won't win it all this year?

Two words: MIAMI HEAT

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Spurs fans here suck, tbh. How can the vast majority give up on a team that has had a very difficult stretch of games against quality opponents without being fully healthy. Ginobili has been gone and Parker has yet to regain his rhythm. The playoffs haven't even started yet people. Relax

So the playoffs being here will just heal people?????????

Sean Cagney
04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
The playoffs start in six days and the team looks awful. I think theres plenty to be worried about.You, I and every delusional fan in here knows damn well there is a huge reason to worry about this team. Whoever uses the word we will be FINE or some crap now is just trying too hard to stay positive now. The thing is this team is done, maybe not first round done but they are done.

SenorSpur
04-15-2013, 02:32 AM
This team is soft and lacks mental toughness. The evidence is on display with every passing game. They DO get routinely outrebounded, their defense is sub-standard and now even average teams have learned how to take away whatever strengths they have. It's Pop's fault. He's so in love with his system that he overlooked the fact that you have to have some level of size, length, talent and athleticism to be able to keep up with the elite teams of the NBA. Instead, he's allowed the team surrounding Duncan to devolve into what we see today. The star players are older and, outside of Kawai, there are really no immediate talent upgrades in sight. It's a sad way for Duncan to end his HOF-level career.

therealtruth
04-15-2013, 03:45 AM
This team is soft and lacks mental toughness. The evidence is on display with every passing game. They DO get routinely outrebounded, their defense is sub-standard and now even average teams have learned how to take away whatever strengths they have. It's Pop's fault. He's so in love with his system that he overlooked the fact that you have to have some level of size, length, talent and athleticism to be able to keep up with the elite teams of the NBA. Instead, he's allowed the team surrounding Duncan to devolve into what we see today. The star players are older and, outside of Kawai, there are really no immediate talent upgrades in sight. It's a sad way for Duncan to end his HOF-level career.

For all the people that claim we lose in the playoffs because we're not athletic enough. Isn't that on Pop? He seems allergic to athletic players. He doesn't think they're smart enough or will figure out his system.

therealtruth
04-15-2013, 03:46 AM
Once again, my only hope of having any interior presence is that maybe and just maybe, Pop is holding Baynes back for the playoff. I think he could have help tonight, tonight it was the night to see where Baynes stands. Oh well, we aint doing nothing in the playoffs, we need to trade and get a young big that can dominate rebounds and can block.

If Pop plays Baynes during the playoffs it means we're in serious trouble and are probably within a few games of elimination.

Richie
04-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Rebounding and defence? Is OP serious?

3rd in points conceded per 100 possessions and 3rd in defensive rebound percentage.

Do you even watch the Spurs? All our problems in the last few months have been offensive.

jesterbobman
04-15-2013, 04:57 AM

3rd in points conceded per 100 possessions and 3rd in defensive rebound percentage.

Do you even watch the Spurs? All our problems in the last few months have been offensive.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good argument. People are idiots.

bklynspursfan
04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
So the playoffs being here will just heal people?????????

Won't heal people, but I do think the home crowd atmosphere, and the motivation, adrenaline, etc... will help this team. All the 3's that aren't falling have a better shot of falling. OKC went 8-7 last year in their final 15 games. Not to mention Manu returning. In 2011 in game 2 against Memphis, his energy out there alone made a significant difference, and that's what this team needs now. Their defense has been stellar, so now the offense needs to get rolling. I'd be much more concerned if we were putting up a ton of points and the defense was pathetic.

widowmaker
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM

I dont know about using the term " giving up " more like keeping it real.

DarrinS
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Parker looked slower than Steve Blake most of the night. Bench is absolutely lost without Manu/Diaw there to facilitate

this

dbreiden83080
04-15-2013, 09:55 AM
They are playing like shit..

BillMc
04-15-2013, 09:56 AM

Richie's right. Our D is much improved. There is a chance our O will come around as people get healthier.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2013, 09:59 AM

You are overstating quite a bit here... Before Tony went down and other players got banged up the Spurs were on Pace to win 63 games and were rolling through the west. Injuries destroy continuity and chemistry. Yes the Spurs are older and lacking in certain areas but when they were on the same page they were a top 3 team in the NBA... They just aren't clicking anymore...

cjw
04-15-2013, 10:06 AM
The reason the Spurs won't win it all this year?

Two words: MIAMI HEAT

Thank you. In any other year, there would be no reason to worry once they played themselves back into health. This Heat team is on par with Jordan's Bulls near their height. Will end up with 66 wins, and without that shaky start, who knows but they may have gotten to 70. Thank goodness for the luxury tax and the fact that the Miami market isn't NY or LA. Won't be able to keep it together in a few years, though we'll be rebuilding then too.

SenorSpur
04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
You are overstating quite a bit here... Before Tony went down and other players got banged up the Spurs were on Pace to win 63 games and were rolling through the west. Injuries destroy continuity and chemistry. Yes the Spurs are older and lacking in certain areas but when they were on the same page they were a top 3 team in the NBA... They just aren't clicking anymore...

33 rebounds to both Gasol and Howard last night? Failure to keep the opposition off the glass can usually be attributed to a severe lack of fundamentals (failing to box out) or the team just doesn't have the aggressive mindset to get after it. This isn't the first time the Spurs have failed to keep the opposition off the offensive glass. Last night was merely the latest example. Splitter is the poster boy for such softness.

Despite his best efforts in trying to do so, Duncan can no longer carry this team on his shoulders from game to game.

Besides, racking up a fantastic regular season record and going deep in the playoffs are two different things. The Spurs have had stellar regular seasons for the past 3 years and what do they have to show for their efforts? One WCF appearance.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Won't heal people, but I do think the home crowd atmosphere, and the motivation, adrenaline, etc... will help this team. All the 3's that aren't falling have a better shot of falling. OKC went 8-7 last year in their final 15 games. Not to mention Manu returning. In 2011 in game 2 against Memphis, his energy out there alone made a significant difference, and that's what this team needs now. Their defense has been stellar, so now the offense needs to get rolling. I'd be much more concerned if we were putting up a ton of points and the defense was pathetic.
Manu has not looked good this year though, so him returning is a ? to me. Their D has been alright I agree, but their O is horrible right now.

bklynspursfan
04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Manu has not looked good this year though, so him returning is a ? to me. Their D has been alright I agree, but their O is horrible right now.

Oh yea, he's been pretty bad, shooting, decision-making, etc... But sometimes his presence alone makes a difference. I mean in game 2 against Memphis in 2011, he didn't shoot well shot like 5-13 but he got to the FT line 13 times cause he was aggressive and throwing his body around like Manu does. The starters seem to hold it down defensively, and haven't been shooting well or putting up enough points as of late. The bench has been bad in both categories. I don't see how Manu can't help at this point.

Hoops Czar
04-15-2013, 02:10 PM
You poor blind bastard.

SpursRock20
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
You poor blind bastard.

I know the Spurs are struggling right now but they can absolutely turn it around. Ending the season hot is not as necessarily important as some of you make it out to be. The playoffs are a totally different story and I believe we will see a turnaround.

Jahivah
04-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Another night of Tim Duncan turning back the clock. Starting Center failing to make an impact on the boards. Bench playing like the scrubs that they are. Tony trying to take the team on his fragile shoulders. This is just plain sad at this point. Someone put us out of our misery already.

PS: Anyone catch Pop playing Blair at SF?
Reeks of desperation.

therealtruth
04-17-2013, 10:21 PM
I know the Spurs are struggling right now but they can absolutely turn it around. Ending the season hot is not as necessarily important as some of you make it out to be. The playoffs are a totally different story and I believe we will see a turnaround.

That's not what Pop said back in '11. He swore then that the way they ended the season contributed to the playoff loss. Though he probably said it more to hide his incompetence in not playing Splitter during the season.

100%duncan
04-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Sean Cagney
04-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Another night of Tim Duncan turning back the clock. Starting Center failing to make an impact on the boards. Bench playing like the scrubs that they are. Tony trying to take the team on his fragile shoulders. This is just plain sad at this point. Someone put us out of our misery already.

PS: Anyone catch Pop playing Blair at SF?
Reeks of desperation.This team is not going anywhere, it is so obvious that only homers can't see it right now and I bet they even do in reality. I love this team, but they are horrible right now. HOw the hell do you get blown out by the Wolves in the last game at home? Starters played too.