PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Mills gets a shot to win the backup PG role from De Colo now?

SpurPadre
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Would Pop give them these last two games to see who'll take the job or will it be back up PG by committee with a sprinkle of Manu in the playoffs?

BatManu20
04-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Mills is just as bad tbh. Spurs don't have a true backup PG, so we'll just keep throwing guys who are incapable of running the PG position and watch them fail. Not much you can do when you have nothing else.

exstatic
04-14-2013, 11:16 PM
CoJo will be the backup next year.

Juggity
04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
There's definitely no clear cut choice to make. Neal, Mills, and De Colo have serious downsides.

De Colo was terrible tonight. Real bad. I can't say I have confidence in him at all at this point.

superjames1992
04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
I just say stick with De Colo. Patty Cakes and Cojo have been as bad, if not worse, and if we just stick with Nando perhaps he'll get more comfortable as time goes on.

I really think Pop made a mistake this season with his musical backup PGs. No one got into rhythm and no one got comfortable at the position since we had a new PG every other game.

SpurPadre
04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
I just hope it's still up for grabs because when Pop declared it De Colo's job earlier, he made it seem like he was a clear cut runaway for the job but he hasn't earned it with his play for a long stretch of time. Mills may not be ideal but he at least provides some much-needed speed out there and is a better decision-maker and shooter than Neal, tbh.

TheGoldStandard
04-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Bonner has a better chance of running the point than Mills. They all suck but on certain nights they suck less than the others.

DarrinS
04-14-2013, 11:25 PM
No

letmk
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
There was a stretch that De Colo played well. But it was largely related to him making shots. Other than that, none of his dribbling, passing and more importantly defense stands out.

With CoJo, you can see the defense intensity; with Mills, you can see the offense intensity. The results are not always pretty, but both of them are putting pressure on opposing teams (each on one side of the court). De Colo plays too within-the-box. When Tony and Manu are healthy and can create chances for teammates, De Colo is more useful than the other two. Now that's not the case, I think CoJo or Mills should play ahead of De Colo.

timvp
04-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey, look, a deck chair. Let's rearrange it.

TJastal
04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
I just say stick with De Colo. Patty Cakes and Cojo have been as bad, if not worse, and if we just stick with Nando perhaps he'll get more comfortable as time goes on.

I really think Pop made a mistake this season with his musical backup PGs. No one got into rhythm and no one got comfortable at the position since we had a new PG every other game.

This. How can anyone be expected to get into a solid groove when they're getting yanked and jerked around constantly? Patty was the most effective playing alongside Manu.. that should have won him the job from the get go.. or at the very least by the all star break. Pop screwed the pooch royally this time.

SpurPadre
04-14-2013, 11:36 PM
It's disconcerting that De Colo's best game all season was the first game against the Heat way back in November. He hasn't had any real progress since then. His calling card was his passing ability but he's struggled making effective passes for a while now and so his game has seemed to digress, tbh. The game just seems to move too fast for him at times.

timtonymanu
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Despite his massive flaws, De Colo remains the best option because Neal and Patty are just terrible defenders. Both can't even excel at their specialties anymore. CoJo is still too inexperienced and soft.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
All 3 are absolutely terrible and soft, tbh..

SpurPadre
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
I guess maybe the better question now is, who will be our back-up SF? Can Udoka suit up? LOL.

timtonymanu
04-14-2013, 11:47 PM
I guess maybe the better question now is, who will be our back-up SF? Can Udoka suit up? LOL.

I think it will be Manu. But since Manu is out, it will probably be Bonner. :pctoss.

We did see a lineup of Duncan/Bonner/Blair today.

SpurPadre
04-14-2013, 11:49 PM
I think it will be Manu. But since Manu is out, it will probably be Bonner. :pctoss.

We did see a lineup of Duncan/Bonner/Blair today.

Man, even we can agree that won't be a pretty sight, lol.

The Whopper
04-14-2013, 11:49 PM
We don't even have one point guard worth a fart on a windy day.

TD 21
04-14-2013, 11:50 PM

And have limited upside. Can't see De Colo and Mills ever being anything more than depth guards on a good team. Joseph could develop into an Earl Watson type backup, which is solid (prime Watson, I'm talking), but nothing to get excited about.

If they think they'll be fine with Joseph/De Colo playing alongside another year older Ginobili, they're out of their minds. They should absolutely be looking for a quality backup in the off season. Unfortunately, I have no confidence in them doing so.

SpurPadre
04-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Are we to assume Marcus Denmon will never make the NBA since he can't play the point? Or is he being groomed to be Gary Neal v2.0?

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 12:03 AM

crc21209
04-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Nope. It's either gonna be De Colo or CoJo at times. Mills is good for when they need a shot of energy in the game but that's about it...

Brunodf
04-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Pop will play his golden boy Gary Neal