PDA

View Full Version : Has Pop given up?

ElNono
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
tbh, not the first game where he looks pretty disinterested. Closing the game with Tony and Tiago on the bench, while Bonner and Joseph are out there.

CIA Pop trying to get the Lakers in the playoffs to wear down OKC?

Or has he made up his mind that this team won't win if Manu doesn't suit up and it's not worth even trying?

BatManu20
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
No, but I think he realizes we have no shot this year. HE can only do so much. When you're watching your team constantly underperform and chuck up bricks and fail to execute, you kind of know as a coach that you don't have the talent to compete, so you just let em play and hope they figure something out. There's not much he can do.

TD 21
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Quite clearly, the organization did when they released Jackson. It doesn't matter that he's been the worst player on the team this season or that he was disgruntled. All that matters (or should have, at least), was that he was one of two players they had who could adequately defend the two players who stand between them and a championship. Not keeping him around for insurance spoke volumes and sent a terrible message to the team.

ElNono
04-14-2013, 11:48 PM
No, but I think he realizes we have no shot this year. HE can only do so much. When you're watching your team constantly underperform and chuck up bricks and fail to execute, you kind of know as a coach that you don't have the talent to compete, so you just let em play and hope they figure something out. There's not much he can do.

This is a 57 win team this season, that was executing pretty darn well last season... and the talent that's there is talent he brought in... the West is clearly inferior this season too...

Except for Duncan, the team has taken a nosedive in the last month or so. Are they just tired of the RS? How about Pop? Does he care about the stretch run or?

benstanfield
04-14-2013, 11:48 PM
He would rather pay 10 million for an empty chair than have a backup SF on the roster.

So yes.

Chris16
04-15-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm starting to think so.

Let's be honest, the Heat are supposedly a championship level team now yet their rebounding is the worst in the league. From what I remember championship teams in the past usually were great rebounding teams.

Shows you that what was required to win championships in the past is completely useless now. It's hard getting stops against the Heat because it seems like they only miss like 1-2 shots on average every 5 minutes, they always make everything no matter how well they're being defended.

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Yep. I'm starting to think everyone besides Duncan has.

Brunodf
04-15-2013, 12:09 AM
We will see if he plays heroball/Bonner in the playoffs.

ElNono
04-15-2013, 12:13 AM
IMO, this team (outside of Duncan) doesn't look hungry... and Pop apparently doesn't know how to lit a fire under their assess... like I said a while back when he called them pathetic, is anybody in the team still listening?

Here's to hoping they get their collective heads out of their asses and understand the urgency of the playoffs... because I don't think Pop has it in him to make them understand that anymore.

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 12:15 AM
You think Pop's lost the team? Tbh I was just thinking he realized they didn't have a shot against the Heat and mentally checked out from there. Wouldn't of surprised me if that attitude rubbed off on the rest of them.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 12:22 AM

Classic Popologist thinking. I give you a 10/10 for this effort, sir. I'm sure Chump & Blake have already put you on the Popper's rookie of the year watch list. Chumpy's even giving his raspberry truffles some extra pizazz for the next meeting I'm told.

UZER
04-15-2013, 12:27 AM
This is a 57 win team this season, that was executing pretty darn well last season... and the talent that's there is talent he brought in... the West is clearly inferior this season too...

Except for Duncan, the team has taken a nosedive in the last month or so. Are they just tired of the RS? How about Pop? Does he care about the stretch run or?

So if they lose again with an early exit, will he finally catch heat. Dude has skated from criticism from the last five years of his mad scientist constant line up experimenting, player resting even though we still always end up hurt, chemistry stunting, purposely win streak killing coaching that he's been doing.

He had plenty of equity built up with his 4 rings, ill give him that, but he just seems lost and stubborn with no adjustments ever being made and being out coached.

I would love to be wrong about him though, but I lose hope every time Bonner trots to the scorers table.

freetiago
04-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Bud needs his shot to shine
he runs plays and plays the right guys
rotations also make sense
Pop should have himself if he thinks hes better then Duncan and Parker and fire himself tbh

houston spurs fan
04-15-2013, 12:42 AM
IMO, this team (outside of Duncan) doesn't look hungry... and Pop apparently doesn't know how to lit a fire under their assess... like I said a while back when he called them pathetic, is anybody in the team still listening?

Here's to hoping they get their collective heads out of their asses and understand the urgency of the playoffs... because I don't think Pop has it in him to make them understand that anymore.

This team is built around Tony and Manu running the offense. Without them creating shots for others you get tonight. Stellar play from Duncan, and the rest of the guys I.e. Neal dribbling around chunking shots up. They are who they are. Danny Green isn't turning into Manu after a good night's rest. These are professionals, what do you want Pop to do?

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 12:44 AM

Medina is an LA times guy

freetiago
04-15-2013, 12:46 AM
even worse news tbh ^
guess he was just in vintage playoff form vs the Lakers

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 12:48 AM
even worse news tbh ^
guess he was just in vintage playoff form vs the Lakers

tbh this made me feel better. it would be worse if Pop said something along the lines of "He just doesn't have it, right now. Not sure if rest can fix it."

boutons_deux
04-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Spurs have been playing shitty many weeks before SJax waived.

SJax was not the key to any post-season success. he was contributing almost nothing all year

ElNono
04-15-2013, 12:50 AM
This team is built around Tony and Manu running the offense. Without them creating shots for others you get tonight. Stellar play from Duncan, and the rest of the guys I.e. Neal dribbling around chunking shots up. They are who they are. Danny Green isn't turning into Manu after a good night's rest. These are professionals, what do you want Pop to do?

I know it might sound weird, but Tony actually played tonight... just saying in case you didn't notice.

EDIT: What I expect Pop to do is have them ready and hungry... not scared to death. Everybody is suddenly scared to shoot.

UZER
04-15-2013, 12:50 AM

When does RC bench Pop?

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 12:51 AM
If he had just one of those games, it's fine. The Lakers are a horrible matchup for the Spurs. I won't believe it until I see him moving well though.

HI-FI
04-15-2013, 12:53 AM

:lol
playoff parker, here we go

crc21209
04-15-2013, 12:55 AM
If he had just one of those games, it's fine. The Lakers are a horrible matchup for the Spurs. I won't believe it until I see him moving well though.

He seemed to be moving well against the Kings Friday night. Now I know it's only the Kings, but Isiah Thomas isnt a slow guy. TP seemed to have a little burst Friday and his J was going down as well...

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 12:58 AM
He seemed to be moving well against the Kings Friday night. Now I know it's only the Kings, but Isiah Thomas isnt a slow guy. TP seemed to have a little burst Friday and his J was going down as well...

I saw flashes of MVP Tony, yes, but generally for most of the game he didn't seem to run the court well and he lost his man a couple times. He might've been that good because he had a week off. If he can't play at least that well only having two or three days off, the Spurs are fucked.

ElNono
04-15-2013, 12:59 AM
I've been saying since mid-season this team relies way too much on pick & roll... and by pick & roll, I mean Tony & Tim and Manu & whoever. Tonight it was a lot of nothing, then dump it to Tim and hope he bails you out. Nobody else took charge. As Harlem said, it could either be that they don't have the cojones, or Pop hasn't given them the green light.

Also, that tweet is actually pretty alarming to me, but for another reason: He probably choose not to play Parker and Tiago. Parker because he said he was awful but Tiago? Because his old stubborn ass still thinks the team has more offense with Bonner on the floor, despite all his other shortcomings. To me, seeing he's still willing to sacrifice Tiago for Bonner is alarming with the playoffs right around the corner.

kjhip1
04-15-2013, 01:01 AM
This team needs to get thier act together. The first round will be challenging if we go against Houston. However, things can always change in the blink of an eye. Lets see if they pass the eye test in the first round. Shut em down for the game against Golden State and may be play them a quarter or a half for the last game vs Minnesota (TD, Parker, KL, Green). Im sure Timmy will do what he does to inject some life into the team. Pop calling them out obviously didnt work..Maybe Timmy needs to light that fire. As KG would say, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

UZER
04-15-2013, 01:02 AM
I've been saying since mid-season this team relies way too much on pick & roll... and by pick & roll, I mean Tony & Tim and Manu & whoever. Tonight it was a lot of nothing, then dump it to Tim and hope he bails you out. Nobody else took charge. As Harlem said, it could either be that they don't have the cojones, or Pop hasn't given them the green light.

Also, that tweet is actually pretty alarming to me, but for another reason: He probably choose not to play Parker and Tiago. Parker because he said he was awful but Tiago? Because his old stubborn ass still thinks the team has more offense with Bonner on the floor, despite all his other shortcomings. To me, seeing he's still willing to sacrifice Tiago for Bonner is alarming with the playoffs right around the corner.

Bonner = Heroine for Pop. Can't quit. Keeps going back to it no matter how much it ruins him. Not resigning him two years ago was his chance to detox and start recovering, but nope, kept up the habit. And even though he tried to quit it the whole season, he we are a game away from playoffs and whatta you know...Bonner is back n the rotation.

freetiago
04-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Bonner hit one three when the Spurs were down
this is finally Matt's year

crc21209
04-15-2013, 01:03 AM

I don't think Pop did it because he thought he had more of a chance at a W with Bonner at all. I think it was more of a "Hey Tiago you're playing soft as shit tonight and lack energy so I'm benching you" kind of move..

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 01:03 AM

I know it's not saying much, but Bonner was not the reason the Spurs lost. He did happen to hit his open threes and made a couple shots in the third when the Spurs continued to shit the bed. His D on Pau wasn't terrible either. Splitter also kept missing gimme after gimme.

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 01:06 AM
I know it's not saying much, but Bonner was not the reason the Spurs lost. He did happen to hit his open threes and made a couple shots in the third when the Spurs continued to shit the bed. His D on Pau wasn't terrible either. Splitter also kept missing gimme after gimme.

I'd like to think I can forgive Splitter since he played spectacular defense on Pau, and actually outplayed Pau on the offensive end. The goat of the game has to be TP, who got owned by Steve Blake

crc21209
04-15-2013, 01:06 AM
I think while Diaw is gone during the first round they're going to have to go with Bonner and Kawhi at the 4 spot when TD and/or Tiago is on the bench. Bonner >>>>>Blair easily. At least Bonner knows his limitations. Blair on the other hand is out there shooting 18 foot jumpers when he damn well knows that isnt his strong point.

daslicer
04-15-2013, 01:07 AM
I have a wait see attitude for this team. I have to see how they perform in the first round before I will say the sky is falling.

ElNono
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't think Pop did it because he thought he had more of a chance at a W with Bonner at all. I think it was more of a "Hey Tiago you're playing soft as shit tonight and lack energy so I'm benching you" kind of move..

So when Tiago plays soft you send in........... Bonner?

Even if Tiago is soft as shit and what not, he still has a back to the basket game, he's 6'11 and plays like he's 6'11 and he (normally) boxes out and rebounds the ball. Granted, I'm probably one of the biggest redhead haters you're going to find on this place, but Matty is just too flawed and can't really do any of those things. I mean, if we're playing the Rockets that like to go small, that's ok. But against these two Lakers towers, give me a rough guy.

Look at the Lakeshow tonight. They did what you do with Matt. You don't guard him, and if he gets the ball, you close up on him with a perimeter guy and he won't shoot.

Splits
04-15-2013, 01:10 AM
This has all the fingerprints of a "tank" if there is such a thing. We know:

Players don't tank games, if they're in the game they play to win
Coaches don't instruct players to "miss a free throw" or "take hard shots" to throw games
Teams jockey for playoff positioning and matchups
Pop admitted earlier this year he hated the 20 game win streak last year and "wanted" them to lose a game
We closed tonight with CoJo, Bonner, and Neal on the floor with healthy Parker, Splitter, and Kawhi on the bench because they had played like shit

You do the math.

Bruno
04-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Meaningless game so it doesn't really matter.

Pop and players level of focus/intensity will raise for the playoffs.

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 01:12 AM
So when Tiago plays soft you send in........... Bonner?

Even if Tiago is soft as shit and what not, he still has a back to the basket game, he's 6'11 and plays like he's 6'11 and he (normally) boxes out and rebounds the ball. Granted, I'm probably one of the biggest redhead haters you're going to find on this place, but Matty is just too flawed and can't really do any of those things. I mean, if we're playing the Rockets that like to go small, that's ok. But against these two Lakers towers, give me a rough guy.

Look at the Lakeshow tonight. They did what you do with Matt. You don't guard him, and if he gets the ball, you close up on him with a perimeter guy and he won't shoot.

He still did his job though, and really, against two of the better defending bigs in the game, Tiago's post-up game and it's flaws would've been on full display. It was better to just let Tim do his thing and keep Bonner out there to stretch the floor if he's shooting and hitting the shots he needs to. Though, if Tony had finished the game, I have no doubts he'd of been in there.

crc21209
04-15-2013, 01:13 AM
This has all the fingerprints of a "tank" if there is such a thing. We know:

Players don't tank games, if they're in the game they play to win
Coaches don't instruct players to "miss a free throw" or "take hard shots" to throw games
Teams jockey for playoff positioning and matchups
Pop admitted earlier this year he hated the 20 game win streak last year and "wanted" them to lose a game
We closed tonight with CoJo, Bonner, and Neal on the floor with healthy Parker, Splitter, and Kawhi on the bench because they had played like shit

You do the math.

The signal that showed me Pop didnt care much was when he had CoJo, Neal, and Bonner out there instead of TP, Kawhi, and Splitter like you said. I don't care how shitty/soft TP and Tiago might have been playing, you always roll with your big guns to close out a game no matter what IF you really are trying to win the game..

freetiago
04-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Spurs are one game shy of tying the longest road losing streak in the Duncan era
it will be tied tomorrow
doesnt sound like a tank

crc21209
04-15-2013, 01:16 AM

+1. We all know damn well that a team with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili coached by Pop is going to raise their level of play and focus when the games really start to count...

crc21209
04-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Spurs are one game shy of tying the longest road losing streak in the Duncan era
it will be tied tomorrow
doesnt sound like a tank

Doesn't mean a thing tbh. Bad stats or good stats. Look at last year, they won 20 straight games going into Game 3 of the WCF's, and it didnt mean shit in th end...

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 01:19 AM
The signal that showed me Pop didnt care much was when he had CoJo, Neal, and Bonner out there instead of TP, Kawhi, and Splitter like you said. I don't care how shitty/soft TP and Tiago might have been playing, you always roll with your big guns to close out a game no matter what IF you really are trying to win the game..
CIA Pop realizing Lakers are a tougher match for OKC than Utah is

ElNono
04-15-2013, 01:32 AM
He still did his job though, and really, against two of the better defending bigs in the game, Tiago's post-up game and it's flaws would've been on full display. It was better to just let Tim do his thing and keep Bonner out there to stretch the floor if he's shooting and hitting the shots he needs to. Though, if Tony had finished the game, I have no doubts he'd of been in there.

At this stage, I much rather let do Tiago his job, flaws and all, than Matt do his. The whole spacing the floor myth is just that, a myth. When TD went for those dunks, he was pretty much wrapped by both Gasol and Dwight. None of them is sticking to redhead.

Johnny RIngo
04-15-2013, 01:41 AM

Did you watch the fucking game? They doubled Tim and didn't put a man on Bonner.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I think while Diaw is gone during the first round they're going to have to go with Bonner and Kawhi at the 4 spot when TD and/or Tiago is on the bench. Bonner >>>>>Blair easily. At least Bonner knows his limitations. Blair on the other hand is out there shooting 18 foot jumpers when he damn well knows that isnt his strong point.

The fact we are still arguing over Bonner and Blair in 013 with playoffs near scares the living shit outta me.. I am serious too. When will this get old? When will they both be gone?

KaiRMD1
04-15-2013, 01:46 AM
The guys were bricking damn near everything. This team's offense is gone. The team from last year is just that, the team from last year. This year's team is a shell of that former team and tbh, the Spurs will be lucky if they get out of the first round. It's a shame for Timmy since the guy, at 37, has been playing like it was 2003 and if he had some better talent around him who could hit their shots, like the guys from last year, then I would have been able to foresee a rematch against OKC.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Did you watch the fucking game? They doubled Tim and didn't put a man on Bonner.

This has been an increasingly popular blueprint for how to deal with Bonner. Pretty much leave him out there and pack the paint and if he getz the ball run a guard towards him to make him pass or put the ball on the floor, which generally results in a turnover or rushed shot at the buzzer.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:47 AM

This is not 03-07 man, sorry there is not a playoff switch to hit. Playoffs will not just solve the problems this team shows now, no way.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:48 AM
This has been an increasingly popular blueprint for how to deal with Bonner. Pretty much leave him out there and pack the paint and if he getz the ball run a guard towards him to make him pass or put the ball on the floor, which generally results in a turnover or rushed shot at the buzzer.

So why do you have so much faith right now when you know Bonner will get mins now in the first round etc?

benstanfield
04-15-2013, 01:48 AM
It's reassuring to look at the standings. With 2 games left our path to the WCF is GS then DEN/HOU, OKC's path is LAL then MEM/LAC. OKC will dismantle the Lakers, but they aren't beating Memphis and a series with the Clippers would be tough.

If Pop loses a playoff series to Mark Jackson I will shit a chicken. Denver and Houston are pretenders.

Robz4000
04-15-2013, 01:50 AM

Tim needed to pass it out when he got double teamed.Although he did well he still ended up shooting poorly. Not saying Bonner should've been in, but with how badly Splitter played offensively on top of Bonner not being in complete choke mode made the decision to keep him out there not as mind-numbing. When the games truly matter I fully expect Pop to go with Splitter.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:51 AM

So why do you have so much faith right now when you know Bonner will get mins now in the first round etc?
The guys were bricking damn near everything. This team's offense is gone. The team from last year is just that, the team from last year. This year's team is a shell of that former team and tbh, the Spurs will be lucky if they get out of the first round. It's a shame for Timmy since the guy, at 27, has been playing like it was 2003 and if he had some better talent around him who could hit their shots, like the guys from last year, then I would have been able to foresee a rematch against OKC.

Last years team at this point was miles ahead of this years team, MILES AHEAD!!!! I laughed when some said this team was better than last years early on, maybe on paper at some point and chemistry you would figure would grow! NOT NOW! This team is not a shell of last years at this point, period.

ElNono
04-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Plus Tim has been beasting all season long right next to Tiago or Diaw. One can't shoot for shit from outside, the other is regularly too hesitant to take a shoot. Nobody was saying a peep about floor-spacing back then. At this stage using that card with Matty is trying to rationalize what makes no sense, tbh.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:52 AM
It's reassuring to look at the standings. With 2 games left our path to the WCF is GS then DEN/HOU, OKC's path is LAL then MEM/LAC. OKC will dismantle the Lakers, but they aren't beating Memphis and a series with the Clippers would be tough.

If Pop loses a playoff series to Mark Jackson I will shit a chicken. Denver and Houston are pretenders.OKC is not beating Memphis???????? Are you serious????????

benstanfield
04-15-2013, 01:56 AM
OKC is not beating Memphis???????? Are you serious????????

Yessir. Conley/Allen/Prince hold Westbrook and Durant to +/- 80% of their averages, Gasol and Randolph shit all over Abaka and Perk, Martin pisses himself, Griz in 6. Book it.

ElNono
04-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Memphis would compete if ZBo finds where the fuck he left his game. With this ZBo they might lose in the 1st round, tbh

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Yessir. Conley/Allen/Prince hold Westbrook and Durant to +/- 80% of their averages, Gasol and Randolph shit all over Abaka and Perk, Martin pisses himself, Griz in 6. Book it.

Take that to Vegas man, I would not bet on that to save my life right now. No way in hell. If you win money cool.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Memphis would compete if ZBo finds where the fuck he left his game. With this ZBo they might lose in the 1st round, tbh

I agree, with Gay too! Z BO looks lost right now IMO! Good lord they might lose in round one as you said if he can't find his game! The other dude talking about they will beat OKC right now, well I would not bet on that right now at all lol, damn hell no!

HarlemHeat37
04-15-2013, 02:05 AM
OKC isn't losing, but ya, the silver lining is that the Spurs bracket would be the easiest it has been in years if they get Golden State/Houston and banged up Denver..

Hoops Czar
04-15-2013, 02:07 AM
The bar coming into the season was set way too high. Players were overacheiving. This year, some of them have crash landed and its not looking good. If Splitter continues to play like junk, the Spurs better nott offer more than a two year deal because he won't be worth a bag of beans once Ginobili retires.

thunderup
04-15-2013, 02:07 AM
I'm afraid to play Memphis. If the Clippers fluke out with another series victory against Memphis it'll likely be a second round bye in addition to the first round bye we are obtaining.

lefty
04-15-2013, 02:08 AM
When does RC bench Pop?
For telling the truth ?

Hoops Czar
04-15-2013, 02:10 AM

Suuuuuuure, meaningless game. Then maybe the Spurs shouldn't have tried to win.

Bruno
04-15-2013, 02:12 AM
And the west is full a lame ducks. There isn't a single team that is looking really good.

If Spurs can get some health, they have a legit shot at winning the west.

Clipper Nation
04-15-2013, 02:13 AM
I'm afraid to play Memphis. If the Clippers fluke out with another series victory against Memphis it'll likely be a second round bye in addition to the first round bye we are obtaining.
You sound awfully cocky for a team that needed overtime in the worst game of CP3's career, an injury to CP3, and bullshit reffing respectively to win the season series, tbh...

TJastal
04-15-2013, 02:14 AM
The way the seedings are falling into place is a minor miracle Imho... spurs couldn't have asked for a better road to the WCF. If I was Pop though I woukd try to avoid G.S because of TP not being 100%... let the young gun Leonard take the spotlight in the 1st round (defending Harden).

Brunodf
04-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Pop/Health are the keys tbh, i am hoping that Pop doesn't truly believe that Neal can play at SF(or any position), or that Bonner will be useful in the playoffs...

thunderup
04-15-2013, 02:19 AM
You sound awfully cocky for a team that needed overtime in the worst game of CP3's career, an injury to CP3, and bullshit reffing respectively to win the season series, tbh...
Those are all excuses you make. You like doing that, don't you? Face it. There are only 2, maybe 3 teams that will come out of the West. My Thunder, the Spurs or the Grizzlies. The Clippers have no business being in the finals much less representing the superior Western Conference. That would be a slap to the face of basketball and the end of the world as we all know it.

Johnny RIngo
04-15-2013, 02:23 AM
The way the seedings are falling into place is a minor miracle Imho... spurs couldn't have asked for a better road to the WCF. If I was Pop though I woukd try to avoid G.S because of TP not being 100%... let the young gun Leonard take the spotlight in the 1st round (defending Harden).

Houston is better than GS. I can't believe there are people dumb enough to think GS is a legit opponent when Houston has the goddamn Spur killer playing for them.

SenorSpur
04-15-2013, 02:26 AM
In effect, Pop gave up when he and RC resigned Bonner a few seasons ago. They should've been searching for a real backup PF, instead of this perennial playoff choke artist. Overall, I'd say Pop also gave up when did go far enough to surround his Big Three with bettter role players - and this dates back as far as 2010.

MaNu4Tres
04-15-2013, 02:42 AM
This off-season is going to be quite interesting. And yes I'm already thinking about it.

The team we watched for the first half of the season has done an incredible Houdini act (thanks to injuries).

In turn, the injuries have derailed a significant amount of confidence from the best two play makers on the team. Manu wasn't the same when he came back in February and Parker is currently a shell of himself. With those two not being able to be as effective ( yes I know Manu is hurt right now), its made life tough for the role players the past few months. With it being harder for the role players to score as efficiently (because their playmakers aren't as sharp), it has consequently made a negative impact on the role players' overall confidence.

Injuries have turned this contender into a pretender in a matter of a few months and it's pretty shocking and depressing. It all has to do with the domino effect of self-doubt (created by injuries), starting from the best play-makers on the team.

Confidence is everything.

HI-FI
04-15-2013, 02:52 AM
In effect, Pop gave up when he and RC resigned Bonner a few seasons ago. They should've been searching for a real backup PF, instead of this perennial playoff choke artist. Overall, I'd say Pop also gave up when did go far enough to surround his Big Three with bettter role players - and this dates back as far as 2010.

you could argue though that no role player would help enough when your core is this old and parts of it are unreliable (ie Manu's health, TP in the playoffs). I think Pop became too attached to them and has lost some of his hunger in the process. Kawhi has been like a blessing, but he will have to play amazing this playoffs for us to have a legit chance.

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 03:01 AM
At this stage, I much rather let do Tiago his job, flaws and all, than Matt do his. The whole spacing the floor myth is just that, a myth. When TD went for those dunks, he was pretty much wrapped by both Gasol and Dwight. None of them is sticking to redhead.

to be fair those dunks were on gasol/mwp not dwight, though im not sure dwight was on Bonner, or they just had him out during the 4th for free throw purposes. not sure tbh

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 03:08 AM
This off-season is going to be quite interesting. And yes I'm already thinking about it.

The team we watched for the first half of the season has done an incredible Houdini act (thanks to injuries).

In turn, the injuries have derailed a significant amount of confidence from the best two play makers on the team. Manu wasn't the same when he came back in February and Parker is currently a shell of himself. With those two not being able to be as effective ( yes I know Manu is hurt right now), its made life tough for the role players the past few months. With it being harder for the role players to score as efficiently (because their playmakers aren't as sharp), it has consequently made a negative impact on the role players' overall confidence.

Injuries have turned this contender into a pretender in a matter of a few months and it's pretty shocking and depressing. It all has to do with the domino effect of self-doubt (created by injuries), starting from the best play-makers on the team.

Confidence is everything.

you aren't alone. spurfan has been looking forward to this upcoming offseason for over a year, pretty much since the Jax trade which we know is opening up salary in conjunction with Manu's free agency as well as Tiago's.

It's a foregone conclusion that Blair is gone. He doesn't want to stay, the Spurs don't want him back. Neal is a question mark. He hasn't been great this year, and he would have been paid a lot more after last season than after this season. For this reason, I could see Neal staying. Pop seems to have trust in him. To be quite honest, I like Neal provided his role is well defined as a shooter and not as a point guard, and provided he isn't getting huge minutes. I'm curious to see what happens with Bonner. The Spurs FO seems to like him with his small defined role. They could buy him out for 1 mil or let him play for over 3 mil. Hopefully they bite the bullet and let him walk. Manu's value has plummeted with all his injuries this year. At the start of the season, I was expecting him to be signed for right about TD money or maybe for 7-8 mil per year, roughly half of his current contract. However, with his late season play-decline and typical myraid of injuries, I'd be shocked if he got more than MLE money. Tiago will probably get about 9 or 10 mil a year, and that means we'd have cash to make another acquisition.

Its going to be a big offseason, but I'm all for delaying that as much as possible. If Pop is confident that TP is fully healthy and was "just playing like crap" today, then maybe it'll light a fire under TP and he'll kick it into gear. If Manu has the first round to get his legs under, and Boris uses round 2 to get his legs under him, we should be good to go for our OKC showdown, provided we survive those rounds :lol

The way TD has been playing, I just don't see us being bounced early

MinuteByMinuteSports
04-15-2013, 03:19 AM
I know how the Spurs can get a title next season: Get rid of Pizza face (aka Pop) and have Mike B. coach. He seems to be hungry and wants a title, unlike Pop. Pop is afraid of Scott Brooks, Lionel Hollins, Erik Spo, and so on. All hungry and younger coaches. Pop is like Larry Brown, he already settled and set in his ways. Stuck on stupid. There's your answer.

spurraider21
04-15-2013, 03:35 AM
I know how the Spurs can get a title next season: Get rid of Pizza face (aka Pop) and have Mike B. coach. He seems to be hungry and wants a title, unlike Pop. Pop is afraid of Scott Brooks, Lionel Hollins, Erik Spo, and so on. All hungry and younger coaches. Pop is like Larry Brown, he already settled and set in his ways. Stuck on stupid. There's your answer.

I know how SpursTalk can get better next season: You can stop posting

sventhedog
04-15-2013, 06:00 AM
yes. expect the spurs to amnesty duncan tomorrow.

rmt
04-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Spurs must lose today against GSW to ensure that Lakers cannot move to #7 spot or they'll be in a world of problems. TP, as usual, disappears vs the Lakers and they are a horrible match-up against Spurs. Well, Pop didn't want them going into the playoffs like last year - on a winning streak. He got his wish - instead they're the very opposite of the cohesive, full of chemistry, flowing offense team that they were last year at this time.

Let's hope that it turns out better than last year. IMO, Pop messed up getting rid of SJax - they're already looking scared and if there's one thing SJax isn't - it's scared.

rmt
04-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Speaking of confidence - Kwahi's confidence in his 3pt shot is gone - iirc - he's 0-6 in the past 2 games with his passing up some 3s to run into traffic. That's not a good thing. Team chemistry is such a fine line - it's been the Spurs' calling card for a while and without it, they look like what they are - lacking in talent and/or aging.

Pop needs to bench Blair for throwing up 17 foot jump shots that haven't a prayer of going in and Bonner for the (warranted) disrespect he gets from the other team - no one guarding him - he's certainly not pulling Gasol or Howard out of the paint.

TJastal
04-15-2013, 06:56 AM

I agree, Pop should have retired in 2007 in a blaze of glory riding dirty on prime Duncan's coattails and nobody would have been the wiser...

Old School 44
04-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Only on the seeding a week or so ago. With all the health issues, I think he just gave up on trying to push them too hard to maintain the number one seed. I think the Spurs goal the past couple weeks was more to hold down the number 2 seed, even when they had a one game edge on OkC. I don't see any problem with the Spurs getting to the WCF, but it's going to take a "Jaren Jackson" like performance from Danny Green or Gary Neal to get past the Thunder.

UZER
04-15-2013, 08:33 AM
For telling the truth ?

:lol My comment is not about the game last night.

Tony must've had a menage a trois last night cuz his legs were shot.

taps
04-15-2013, 08:40 AM
I knew those true colors would shine through OP

Spur|n|Austin
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM

I have to agree, as hard as it is right now. We may very well lose out the remaining two games, not because of lack of focus, but because they are meaningless. All we can hope for at this point is a different team when it actually matters.

Russ
04-15-2013, 09:10 AM
All we can hope for at this point is a different team when it actually matters.

You can book that. The naysayers are people who panic when the market goes down and then wonder why their retirement looks so bad.

Capt Bringdown
04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
IMO, this team (outside of Duncan) doesn't look hungry.
We haven't looked hungry in years, except during regular-season winning streaks.

EVAY
04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Back to the OP: I think that the answer is yes: Pop has, if not given up, admitted that he is out of ideas as to how to motivate this team and get the best out of them.

Look at what has happened since TP has been hurt. Pop reverted to the 4 down play that got him several championships. No doubt he had to do that at the time TP went down and in the absence of Manu. But now Tim doesn't seem to know how to stop playing like that and Pop doesn't know how to get back to the more recent success style of guard-based motion offense. Look how stagnant the offense seems now after Tim gets the ball. He no longer shoots right away or passes right away. We are back to everybody standing around and waiting for Tim to figure out how to play the set. This team doesn't work that way anymore and it is showing that it doesn't work that way anymore because everything is breaking down into iso plays and we are losing.

EVAY
04-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Yes. Pop has given up.

UZER
04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Back to the OP: I think that the answer is yes: Pop has, if not given up, admitted that he is out of ideas as to how to motivate this team and get the best out of them.

Look at what has happened since TP has been hurt. Pop reverted to the 4 down play that got him several championships. No doubt he had to do that at the time TP went down and in the absence of Manu. But now Tim doesn't seem to know how to stop playing like that and Pop doesn't know how to get back to the more recent success style of guard-based motion offense. Look how stagnant the offense seems now after Tim gets the ball. He no longer shoots right away or passes right away. We are back to everybody standing around and waiting for Tim to figure out how to play the set. This team doesn't work that way anymore and it is showing that it doesn't work that way anymore because everything is breaking down into iso plays and we are losing.

Pop runs a system. When system shit hits the fan for a variable number of reasons, he's clueless.

Fabbs
04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Pops Pussification Plan has it's beginnings in summer 2005 with turning down Lewie Scoldawg for Greek.
Playoffs 2006 he went small balls with his newfound lover Michael Finley.
The PF/SF spot has been pussified ever since in either starter or backup.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2013, 11:07 AM
But you really think it's just a health issue? The ball movement is dead in the water and Manu hasn't looked like Manu in months.

Even TP hasn't been the same lately. Also, outside of health this team has zero rhythm and the playoffs start this weekend.

DesignatedT
04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
You still see flashes of the offense when Tony is at his best. He (and to a lesser extent Manu) are the sole engineers when it comes to our offense performing like it has in the past. Without those two guys its impossible for the Spurs to do what they want to do. You saw flashes of it against Sacramento the other day when Tony was finding open shooters and open guys for dunks but then he goes back into hobbled mode last night and the offense is back to having to chance.

04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
When does RC bench Pop?
RC can't bench Pop, Pop outranks everyone as president of Spurs basketball. Only the owners can oust him.

And I don't know why everyone is complaining. This wasn't a championship team to begin with. Popovich changed the offense and with some clever smoke and mirrors to make this team overachieve. Realistically, they should be in the middle of the pack with Denver, Grizzlies, and Clippers. What I do fault Pop with is that he should have recognized the core could no longer win championships a long time ago after getting sent home in 2008. Instead of this "reloading" crap, the Spurs should have been assembling a different core for Duncan. This is still a superstar's league, all teams that won championships in the modern era, with the exception of Detroit, had a superstar crunch time scorer. Can't win it all without one. To be fair, the result might have been the same since the Spurs probably couldn't have acquired a good enough player and develop him into a superstar. But we wouldn't have to watch Manu scuttle the Spurs' championship chances every year with an injury or watch Parker try desperately to turn into a superstar (which he never had the potential to be).

UZER
04-15-2013, 11:40 AM
RC can't bench Pop, Pop outranks everyone as president of Spurs basketball. Only the owners can oust him.

And I don't know why everyone is complaining. This wasn't a championship team to begin with. Popovich changed the offense and with some clever smoke and mirrors to make this team overachieve. Realistically, they should be in the middle of the pack with Denver, Grizzlies, and Clippers. What I do fault Pop with is that he should have recognized the core could no longer win championships a long time ago after getting sent home in 2008. Instead of this "reloading" crap, the Spurs should have been assembling a different core for Duncan. This is still a superstar's league, all teams that won championships in the modern era, with the exception of Detroit, had a superstar crunch time scorer. Can't win it all without one. To be fair, the result might have been the same since the Spurs probably couldn't have acquired a good enough player and develop him into a superstar. But we wouldn't have to watch Manu scuttle the Spurs' championship chances every year with an injury or watch Parker try desperately to turn into a superstar (which he never had the potential to be).

Your preaching to the chior man. Again, the comment was sarcasm and not for this one game. It's for everything you just said and the corresponding mad scientist coaching due to it. We all know who's really in charge.

biskvito
04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
it's all about the regular season, you even make the news for such a beautiful regular season, then come playoffs time and you can't wait to pack your bags and zip to that comfy house by the lake... fish, fish, fish....

phxspurfan
04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Pretty sure this is CIA Pop doing what has been done to him over the years. Stacking the playoff matchup deck. Facing the Rockets > facing the Lakers and OKC facing the Lakers > OKC facing anyone else

jjktkk
04-15-2013, 12:06 PM

That "core" also includes Parker and Ginobili, and now Leonard, so were you, or are you advocating trading Parker and Ginobili?

ChumpDumper
04-15-2013, 12:09 PM
I applaud the OP and others for taking both sides of the issue so completely.