PDA

View Full Version : Timmy or Manu MVP Discussion

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Let's keep this one civilized since its mostly in the family. Both players are great players. Both are all stars. Both had a couple of off games and some great games. Some people have already posted on this topic. But a lot of people may feel a need to vent. Make your choice and defend it.

I'll make mine: Timmy. Tim was the only person for either team who averaged a double double. As Pop has said, the Spurs game is inside out. It all starts with Tim Duncan and the attention he attracts. He is the best power forward to ever play the game and the best basketball player in the world. He has been for the for the last several years. Let's remember that Tim was playing on two bum ankles that will not really be healed until the summer and was playing against Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace, probably the toughest defensive front line (with Teyshaun Prince). Tim had two terrible performances in games three and four. However, Manu's stats were nothing to write home about either. Games one, two, five and seven both Manu and Tim had great games. While in game seven, Tim had a dismal shooting second quarter and beginning of the third quarter, his first quarter and from the middle of the third quarter until the end of the game Tim shot 9 for 18. He got us off to a good start while Manu was on the bench. He also brought us back into the game. He opened up the lane for Manu. He forced them to double team. He scored about a point a minute from the middle of the third quarter on. He created open shots for Horry and Parker (both unfortunately missed - for Horry a rarity) as well as for Manu and Bowen. He had 11 rebounds in the game. Other games included 15 rebound games, 17 rebound games and 19 rebound games. Again, nobody else on either team was even remotely close to average a double double. Tim is clearly the leader of the Spurs, witness our struggles especially on the road without Tim.
Or to put it another way, if we absolutely had to trade one of these players who would it be? Or if we were to play game seven all over again and you had to sit one of the two players, who would you chose to sit? I have no doubt that the vast, overwhelming majority of knowledgeable Spurs fans and NBA fans and the NBA players as well as NBA analysts would choose to play Tim and sit Manu, as good as Manu is. None of this is to detract in any way from how well Manu played or how good I think he is. Some people may think that I overrate Manu when I say that I would put him in the top seven players in the league. Manu played an awesome series. I came to clarity and conviction in my conclusion only after watching and rewatching the Finals a lot of times. Of course, every one is free to have their own opinion. Plus, we are blessed to have two star players who play out of their minds. Anyways, that's just my opinion and your opinion is at least as valuable as mine, so feel free to post it! :fro

DesiSpur_21
07-08-2005, 04:28 AM
May be this is the zillionth thread about this topic..

Anyway, Timmy is always going to be the MVP in whatever the team/league he plays for. But my take on this one is Manu and Timmy should have been co-mvps , even though Timmy's contributions were a touch ahead of Manu's.

Timoha
07-08-2005, 04:30 AM
I can't believe, that after all the discussions we've had, and some of the Tim vs. Manu threads that have resulted in animosity somebody would make up a thread like this more then 2 weeks after the playoffs.

Both guys playd hard. Both struggled and both had steller moments. One couldn't win without the other. Tim's stats were better, and he kept the Spurs in the game during all the games we won and turned game 7 around and won the finals MVP two freakin weeks ago. Case closed, no discussion needed at this point. :pctoss

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2005, 04:43 AM
I can't believe, that after all the discussions we've had, and some of the Tim vs. Manu threads that have resulted in animosity somebody would make up a thread like this more then 2 weeks after the playoffs.

Both guys playd hard. Both struggled and both had steller moments. One couldn't win without the other. Tim's stats were better, and he kept the Spurs in the game during all the games we won and turned game 7 around and won the finals MVP two freakin weeks ago. Case closed, no discussion needed at this point. :pctoss

My bad. I just joined here. I should have guessed that this topic had already been driven to the ground. I promise I 'll do my best to try to avoid bringing it up again. Just goes to show you the dangers of the DVR and watching game 7 of the Finals again!
:fro

Timoha
07-08-2005, 04:48 AM
No problem :)

And yah, it has been driven into the ground with threads such as :

Manu got Robbed

Who's the MVP?

Will Manu retire as the most popular Spur?

Why do people not notice Tim Duncan?

And the such

xcoriate
07-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Not again forum

cmc$purs
07-08-2005, 06:32 AM
AAAARRRGGGGHHHH NOT AGAIN!!!!!! :blah

:shootme :bang :pctoss

1Parker1
07-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Not again forum

:lol

Tim Duncan. The award is for Most Valuable Player. Not Most Valuable 4th Quarter Player.

WalterBenitez
07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
even for me .. it was enough ... TD deserved it, Manu was pretty near, that's it ...

angel_luv
07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Timmy " All Manu, Gino, Tony, Bruce, all these guys are mvps."
Gino, loosely quoted " It was a beautiful thing to hear everyone chanting mvp for me but Timmy deserved it."

Timmy and Gino are both happy and champions. I don't see an issue here. Remember this is San Antonio not L.A.

FromWayDowntown
07-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Frankly, I don't understand why anyone really gives a damn about this topic. The Spurs are the champions. Manu and Tim are champions. What difference does it really make to any of us if Tim was the MVP and Manu wasn't? What difference would it have made to any of us if Manu was the MVP and Tim wasn't? As it was, the vote was close --

This stuff is lingering for far too long. Since we now know who voted for whom in the MVP race, I have the feeling that when Monroe or Ludden writes a column about Tim or Manu, we're going to hear the partisans come out with the a-hole talk and the "so-and-so doesn't know anything about basketball" stuff, but this time with a Manu vs. Tim spin.

Let it go.

Sense
07-08-2005, 12:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/Feartheunown/stupid_thread.jpg