PDA

View Full Version : U.S. will host new International Champions Cup this summer

NASpurs
04-15-2013, 10:34 PM
If it's anywhere in Texas, I'm going.

------------

Posted: Mon April 15, 2013

Real Madrid, Juventus and the Los Angeles Galaxy are three of the eight teams that will take part in the U.S. this summer in the first edition of an annual knockout tournament involving some of the world's top soccer clubs, SI.com has learned.

The new tournament, which is being called the International Champions Cup, will take place all around the U.S., with the final at Miami's Sun Life Stadium. There will be two groups of four -- Eastern and Western groups. The tournament, which has a major title sponsor and a TV deal, will be officially announced on Tuesday in Miami, with figures from several of the participating clubs on hand.

The European teams involved will be in the preseason for their 2013-14 club campaigns.

The ICC marks the first big splash into soccer of Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and his RSE Ventures firm, whose CEO is former New York Jets executive Matt Higgins. In October, they hired Charlie Stillitano and Jon Sheiman from CAA Sports in a deal that included the acquisition of rights to the World Football Challenge, a series of preseason exhibitions with European clubs they had organized in the U.S. in recent years.

The World Football Challenge is now morphing into the International Champions Cup. After several years of one-off summer exhibitions, it will be a change of pace to see top teams in a tournament in which the winner takes home a trophy. In an additional wrinkle, one of this year's group games will take place in Europe.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130415/international-champions-cup-tournament/#ixzz2QasP2mPk

Relevancy
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Pretty good idea, but do you know why Barcelona is not going? Big mistake to not include the best player in the world and one of the best teams in the world, or do own team's decide if they're going or not?

NASpurs
04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Pretty good idea, but do you know why Barcelona is not going? Big mistake to not include the best player in the world and one of the best teams in the world, or do own team's decide if they're going or not?

I'm not sure when the tournament takes place but I'm assuming late July/early August since that's when preseason for most clubs takes place...? Barça is touring in China/Thailand/Malaysia in August 4th, 7th and 10th.

NASpurs
04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I mean... I guess I would go to see Real Madrid now that I think about it. But it's like living in another country and going to watch the Lakers play if they did an exhibition there. :lol Just a dirty, foul feeling. I hope Juve plays in Texas though or anywhere near close!

Venti Quattro
04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Arsenal and Barcelona are touring Asia on July and August, so they're a no go.

lefty
04-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Arsenal and Barcelona are touring Asia on July and August, so they're a no go.
Maybe your beloved Chelsea will tour in the U.S ?

Venti Quattro
04-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Maybe your beloved Chelsea will tour in the U.S ?

I will watch and bring a JT is not an adulterer banner...

lefty
04-16-2013, 12:52 AM
I will watch and bring a JT is not an adulterer banner...
You are a true Blue :cry

Relevancy
04-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure when the tournament takes place but I'm assuming late July/early August since that's when preseason for most clubs takes place...? Barça is touring in China/Thailand/Malaysia in August 4th, 7th and 10th.Thank you